Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Top 5 thrift store albums...
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 2:50 am

5. Andy Williams
4. Grand Funk Railroad
3. Firestone Christmas ( any volume)
2. The Commodores
1. Herb Albert and the Tiajuana Brass

Yep. Those are the same records I run across at every thrift store. At least in Memphis. Very fuckin frustrating. You think they could change those things out once every 15 years! But no, can't be done.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 2:56 am

Ugh. I don't ever wanna see another copy.

"First Family" didn't make the list?
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 3:15 am

Pat Traver's Band, Hall and Oates, The Singing Nun...
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 3:24 am

I remember these . They practically forced you to take one even if you were only buying a valve stem.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 3:26 am

barbara streisand
the eagles
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 3:27 am

Poco
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 3:36 am

"Chicago IX"
"Whipped Cream and Other Delights"
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:30 am

1. Nana Mouskouri
2. Roger Whitaker
3. Mitch Miller
4. The Kingston Trio
5. Some asshole playing Honky Tonk piano

And if you live in Canada, The Nylons.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:31 am

Firestone Christmas LP, why were there so many of these!?
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:40 am

During one 6 month period the following were donated by 4 different times at the thrift store I was working at.

AC/DC-Dirty Deeds
Def Leppard-Pyromania
the Babys-Head First
Humble Pie-Live At the Fillmore
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:47 am

Some asshole playing Honky Tonk piano

You're right. I forgot about those.

And one more that should have made it in the top five:
Kenny Rogers "The Gambler"
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:50 am

Some asshole playing Honky Tonk piano

Floyd Cramer?

Kenny Rogers "The Gambler
Is that the one that have "Coward of the County" on it is that on a follow up album.

Jim Nabors should have his own section at thrift shops.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:53 am

Kenny Rogers "The Gambler
Is that the one that have "Coward of the County"

Pretty sure COTC was the flip-side to the Gambler single. Thank you for knocking that gem of memory loose...

Now I gotta go look it up...
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:56 am

Nope. Flipside of Gambler was Momma's Waiting.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:59 am

from time to time i run across fun shit.
like once at the DAV on summer a few years ago i found a copy of:
purify bros: i'm your puppet.
warrior by scandal
oh boy by the crickets

out here in the desert all they have is sons of the pioneers and the osmonds
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 6:33 am

'Coward Of The County' is a pretty intense song. That and 'Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town' are straight up doom and gloom.

I hit a decent old C&W score a few months back at the St. Vincent de Paul but for every Carl Smith and Webb Pierce album there were 3 Mac Davis albums. I did find the Charlie Daniels Band LP with 'Uneasy Rider' on it though. That and Jim Stafford's 'Wildwood Flower'
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 6:38 am

Mr Stands,

Next time you reach for 'Quigley Down Under' you should watch Kenny's made for TV epic about the song.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082208/
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 1:01 pm

i've been noticing a lot of 12in 90s rap i have never heard of around memphis thrift stores.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 1:32 pm

Tennessee Ernie Ford Hymns
The Lettermen
Reader's Digest Box sets
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 3:12 pm

i've been noticing a lot of 12in 90s rap i have never heard of around memphis thrift stores.

Yeah, I was at the Amvets on Elvis Presley and saw at least 30-35 of the same rap single this weekend. And they're all by " Lil" somebody. Can't remember his name.

I did score 5 unopened copies of "Break up, Break down"( RS) last year at the Treasure Chest on Elvis Presley, just to get home and find out that the hole was off center and screwed up the first couple of songs.

And some place on Third st. had a lot of good records. Was an old skating rink and now they sell used furniture and bric a brac. Got a handful of Thin Lizzy records not too long ago.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:01 pm

fleetwood mac rumours good one.
Andy Williams yep.
Herb Albert and the Tiajuana Brass yep yep

Boston
Shaun Cassidy
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:10 pm

out here in the desert all they have is sons of the pioneers and the osmonds

Hey, never know when you'll wanna hear "Crazy Horses."

Kate's used to have a boatload of Ray Conniff albums. I think I spotted at least 30 different ones one day I was there.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:10 pm

I don't think I've ever been in a thrift store in the greater Milwaukee area that didn't have at least 5 Kenny Loggins lp's.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:15 pm

I don't think I've ever been in a thrift store in the greater Milwaukee area that didn't have at least 5 Kenny Loggins lp's.

All with rather scary covers, no doubt. Was this one of them?

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/11160000/11164144.jpg
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:37 pm

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen that one, that's pretty horrifying. That's even more Jesus-looking than this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0000787EV/ref=dp_image_text_0 /102-2019317-9947366?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 6:24 pm | Edited by: Useless Eater

I see the same shit that jerrd does. I'd switch out the GFR and Commodores for Mitch Miller and Tennessee Ernie Ford though.

What's really fun is when you find multiple copies of those at every store you go to and you start putting them in front of the stacks. So the casual passerby or hardcore hunter-gatherer see them and tells them to fuck off.

why'd I have to buy that Andy Williams Japanese lp with rice paper jacket?
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 10:18 pm

All of these can be found in vast quantities at Nostaglia World on Summer Avenue (remember: one student at a time, kiddies). While not a thrift store, 99 percent of the records are thrift-like.

Best selection of scratchy Three Dog Night LP's. Especially the one with the band-aid gatefold (which is often torn).

My Top 5:
1. I seem to find twice as many I'm In You vs. Frampton Comes Alive in thrift shops.
2. the obligatory "polka party" LP
3. INXS' "Deka-Dance" EP (How is this possible?)
4. South Pacific Soundtrack
5. Boz Scaggs (post-Silk Degrees stuff)
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 10:46 pm

"Your Father's Mustache"...
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 10:52 pm

My Top Five

1. Any Barbra Streisand album

2. Rocks by Aerosmith.

3. Greatest Hits- Grand Funk

4. Tons of Christmas shit

5. Slow Ride by FogHat
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 10:58 pm

2. Rocks by Aerosmith.

That's Aerosmith's best album. You should buy it ya punk in the street...
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 11:32 pm

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Billy Joel's "The Stranger." I think it might be more common than "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" but probably not more than "Going Places"
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 11:44 pm

And if you live in Canada, The Nylons.
on that note, how about Ann Murray?

another one I always see, without fail, is Pat Benatar - In the Heat of the Night
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 11:53 pm

John Travolta
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 12:03 am

78's pressed on slate that were literally albums. Gives me the hives...
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 4:10 am

Jethro Tull - Aqualung.

If I were to buy every copy I ever saw at a thrift store not only would I have over 1000 but I'd also of spent 15 dollars.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 4:27 am

Antone's records has a free box- filled with vinyl, cassettes, whatever.
I picked up some rap from San Antone- and I'd have to say it strunk, though I know nothing about the genre.
I did get a Jim Nabors gospel album and unleashed on a poor, unwitting guest.
Positively evil!!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:42 am

You'll find a shitload of Carpenters and Jimmy Swaggart LPs in the thrift stores around here.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 6:17 am

another one I always see, without fail, is Pat Benatar - In the Heat of the Night

Is that the one with 'Hit Me WIth Yr Best Shot' on it? If so that would be th 5th record that I saw pass through the thrift store multiple times in the 6 month period I mentioned above.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 6:47 am

look out for country (50s to 60s) always in nice shape and going for $1, sell them to Goner for $5, they sell'm for $10 - $15 and the lps usually book for $30
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 6:51 am

Fuck yeah...And also any classical titles on Phillips and so on. I've made some sweet turnover picking them up for 50 cents then selling them on eBay for a way bunch more. I usually keep whatever Country/Western I find though.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®