Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Handymen and Handywomen...please help
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 6:06 pm
We are vacating this apt in a couple of months after living here for overr two years. We have nailed various holes into various walls. I'd like to put some sort of putty into some of the larger holes so we can't get screwed out of the deposit. What would I buy?
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 6:12 pm
Get yerself some spackle and a putty knife
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 6:14 pm
Do you just put in up there and flatten with the putty knive? They'll have to repaint this joint before renting it again, but that ain't our job. Thanks!
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 6:16 pm
plus a damp sponge to smooth out the spackle.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 6:20 pm
Do you just put in up there and flatten with the putty knive?

Yup! Just use the corner of the knife to scoop out enough to fill the hole without much excess an' press it in there and flatten it out.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 6:46 pm
get lightweight spackle. it is way softer and easier to work, and usually doesnt dry that dark ivory color that most spackles do.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 7:11 pm
Posted: Nov 13, 2006 5:43 pm
also for bigger holes use a joint compound
Posted: Nov 13, 2006 6:26 pm | Edited by: Windy
for even bigger (fist sized) holes, you can buy a mesh screen to place over the hole before you putty/spackle/joint compound
Posted: Nov 13, 2006 6:33 pm
Also, at Home Depot, I've found a tube that basically looked like shoe polish (tube shaped, has a sponge on end of it) that was exactly for cheaply and quickly covering up nail holes. They sold it in basic wall colors. When it went on, it didn't look like it matched the paint, but after it dried, it came damn close.
Posted: Nov 13, 2006 6:34 pm
The big ones you'll have to do twice because it shrinks a little when it dries.
Posted: Nov 13, 2006 6:43 pm
Thank you some guy! This will be perfect. Those fuckos don't deserve a fine job after thw two summers/falls straight of constant construction only to end this coming January with a RENT INCREASE.
Posted: Nov 13, 2006 7:03 pm
Glad it helps. I know I bought it at Home Depot. It was about two years ago, but I don't remember the name of the product. But it was sold for covering up nail holes. And looked almost exactly like a tube of shoe polish.

And Golightly is right, for bigger holes you'll need to apply it twice.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

  Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®