Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Who else likes Creation Records?
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 3:37 am

Other than me on this board?
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 3:40 am

First part of Genesis ain't so bad. 'Cept for that crazy snake/apple thing going on.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 3:45 am

Also, the Norse creation story has heaps of mythic elements, from the primeval giant Ymir to the cow Audhumla...
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 3:45 am

You are such a witty man.

I guess I deserved that one.

I am just listening to Patron Saints of Teenage for the first time in eons and wussy as it of course is, I likes.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 3:47 am

Then there's The Miao. They have no written records, but they have many legends in verse, which they learn to repeat and sing. The Hei Miao (or Black Miao, so called from their dark chocolate-colored clothes) treasure poetical legends of the creation and of a deluge.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 3:54 am

Creation put out some of my all time favorite records (and a bunch I didn't like as well).
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 3:56 am

Wow, in perusing the Creation site, I learned that Nikki Sudden died last March. Too bad.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 4:13 am

Yeah, I remember that. What is crazy is somehow from all my various mass LP purges over the last 14 years or so I still have the Jacobites comp on Twin Tone.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 4:43 am

I Do! IDo! I Do!
slowdive 'souvlaki' PYGMALION!--although i'm not sure if pygmalion is on creation or not. souvlaki though.

I watched a creation label vhs kind of recently. I'd forgotten how annoying Primal Scream really was/could be.

I'd like for at least part of my epitaph to read "...died under the weight of knowing Swervedrivers' 'Raise' is one of the least recognized masterpieces in rock-n-roll history"...with maybe like a hot-link on the tombstone to an amazon.com so you could check it out.
um what else

mbv, like doi!
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 5:00 am

Everything by Ride is a.o.k. in my book.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 5:30 am

love creation records...
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 1:28 pm

I really like the early Creation singles. I like shit-loads of reverb!
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 4:01 pm

I do.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 4:03 pm

Anyone got that Cocteau Twins BBC sessions? It was the best thing I'd ever heard one time on ketamine. The guitar sound is like candy coated broken glass.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 5:21 pm

Felt's good too!
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 6:38 pm | Edited by: mikesniper

Teenage (muh-fuckin) Fanclub's 1st buncha shit. Makes me wanna listen to it right now.

Other than that, some Felt, Biff Bang Pow and Pastels is cool.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 6:39 pm

Is their very 1st stuff simliar to bandwagonesque? I dig that rec.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 6:39 pm

You just posted this to smoke out the old folk...but, uh, Slaughter Joe RULE!
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 6:41 pm

Bandwagonesque originally came out on Creation, their 1st LP is actually on Paperhouse and it's good but a little different. All the shit they did for Creation is good and very much like that LP.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 6:42 pm

...RULES?
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 7:03 pm

I love Felt, Teenage Fanclub, Telescopes...
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 7:06 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

No other votes for Ride?
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 7:12 pm

Posted: Nov 11, 2006 7:17 pm

That whole shoegazer/dreampop thing kinda lost me. Slowdive, MBV, Chapterhouse, etc.

It's not terrible.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 7:55 pm

their 1st LP is actually on Paperhouse and it's good but a little different.
Is Teenage Fanclub's US debut, "A Catholic Education", (released in the US on Matador) not their first LP? That record is awesome. It's got some great songs on it like "Everything Flows", "Critical Mass", and "Eternal Light" that are very similar to the stuff on Bandwagonesque.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 8:05 pm

http://home.no.net/teenage/fanclub/albums.htm

Yeah, it got it's US release on Matador a few months after the Paperhouse UK release.

Bandwagonesque and all the singles around it came out on Creation.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 8:16 pm

he don't do drugs but he does the pill....oh no
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 8:40 pm

Posted: Nov 11, 2006 8:49 pm

A Catholic Education is great. Purged it years ago & have been looking for it since.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 1:20 am

I like the idea of Ride but I actually never really felt it on the whole(some tracks for sure)kinda feel the same about Blur<owes a little to creation no?

The guitar sound is like candy coated broken glass.--i'd say thatt's an apt portrayal of most of the Cocteau Twins guitar sound. I don't know off hand if they were a creation label band or not but Victorialand is downright seismic in it's quiet/delicate.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 1:22 am

no scratch that I do like Blur like feel Blur but in large doses I don't know...maybe a Greatest Hits type band for me.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 1:46 am | Edited by: dale

I like Ride (at least the first couple of records) quite a bit.

Ya just can't beat the Rickerbacker/Telecaster combo...Sounds like bong hits on a cold and rainy day.

Also the first JAMC stuff came out on Creation.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 6:16 am

Opps...Actualy, It ain't a Tele in that vid...they used 'em on record quite a bit though.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 8:50 am

Ha! Funny stuff... Zac's into the powerpoop/jangle that Teenagefanclod turned into, and once i heard it, some of it's pretty great. i loved "a catholic education" when it came ou but don't think i need to hear it any more. maybe it'd sound all right now.

still love meat whiplash/ early jmc sound.

swervedriver never got me... seemed like MBV already beat 'em there.

I always thought I liked Ride more than most o' them UK bands at the time, but nothing sticks in my mind.

bobby gillespie was nothing but friendly, charming, and honest whilst thumbing through records while (not) recording at Ardent.

too bad they missed on the Pooh Sticks!
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 3:49 pm

I can hear that first track off "A Catholic Education" right now in my head and I'd like to give it a try right now if I had it. I never liked the follow ups, but that doesn't surprise me.

I never got into Ride, even though I tried like mad, so maybe I should go for it again.

This is not Creation, but it is Shoegaze/whatever the fuck...that Lush song "Deluxe" was great. And the girls in that band were cute fashion plates.

The reason for this thread is that Patron Saints of Teenage comp where almost every song is really fucking good and a few are GREAT.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 6:20 pm

What, no mention of Oasis?
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 6:30 pm

a bunch of queers over at matador most probably.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 7:19 pm

LUSH I could fawn for daaaays over their first 2 albums? Gala and Spooky. 4AD albums both of them and both still in frequent rotation on my player. I don't know the lineage but it seemed that if you were onto Creation its a given that you werre on about some 4AD.

MBV certainly beat Swervedriver to the punch. MBV was the core (or maybe just the figure heads...but still) of THAT sound but Swervedriver for me was more a lesson in just how textural straight ahead rock songs/albums could feel. And goshdarnit if their album 'Mezcal Head' doesn't capitalize on the ridiculously groovy elements of tthe Stogges 'Funhouse' I don't know what does.

Bandwagonesque still holds up.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 7:27 pm

I had all that Lush stuff--their 4AD 12"s etc. My first big record purge in Oakland in 1991 was ridiculous. I was working for Amoeba and saw how much I could get for the stuff and had a friend who sold his amazing collection there and he said how "free" he felt as a result. Ha.

I had to watch all my stuff blow out of the store and ring these people up as I pretty much felt like I was going to cry.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Swervedriver was an INCREDIBLE live band. Quite a bit more muscular than MBV (who I did like as well.) I dig all of their albums except the last one (99th Dream) which was just OK. Perfect for the car.

Ride was kinda hit or miss, but I love "Like a Daydream" and "Kaleidoscope."

TFC's Songs From Northern Britain album is good Sunday listenin'.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 8:10 pm

Did I miss a mention of the Pastels yet? They could be hit or miss but their good songs were really good. The Jasmine Minks had their moments too but not compare to the Pastels.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 8:14 pm

Oh...and I never saw what the big deal was about the House Of Love. I didn't really find anything special about them.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 8:32 pm

The Pastels could be insanely good or insanely bad. I saw them in SF in the early 90's and it was so la-la that it was sickening. Not enough guitar.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 11:26 pm

i first met the fannies outside of matador the first time they came to nyc . they were w/eric van ruysdam who used to work w/ me at caroline an was the world's biggets creation fag. then my man don flemin started to produce them an rudolph grey even did the cover art to that ep they did on matador (which was recorded at wharton's).

we played w/ teenage fanclub at cbgb's (w/gumball, superchunk an yes even monster fagnet. )an i jammed w/ em on happy or somethin. earlier that night me an don fleming took em out for pizza at two boots an these two crazy puerto rican guys started the old what did you say about my mother routine (as if. a bigger collection of fags could not to be found on planet earth) an then waited outside an threw bottles at us as we ran away down the street back to cb's. fun times...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®