Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / anyone been in an insturmental band?
Posted: Nov 10, 2006 11:15 pm

i've been in plenty of bands before, but never an all insturmental trio. The songs we're putting together so far are pretty diverse and pretty orginal (at least i think so, so far), but i'm afraid of the songs becoming boring to the listener at some point.

how do you keep things fresh in this kinda band? We're trying things like keeping the song structure pretty out there so they don't all just feel like songs with out vocals, but any tips?

I never really thought about how much a lack of a singer can take away from a band before... being a drummer at least.

with most of the instro bands i like, usually i like about 75% of that bands output where as that's usually not the case with bands that have singers that i like. i usually like all that stuff.

and there's just sooooo many shitty instro bands out there.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 1:53 am

My band the wrong numbers is gonna be instrumental in ruling the universe. LOOKOUT!
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 2:35 am

an all insturmental trio

Zzzzzz...
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 3:13 am

think about how booker t and the mgs did it. you've got your rythym, which is typically the bass and drums (and left hand of organ, if you got one). then on top you have your melody, which is the guitar or organ or whatever other insrtument you bring in. think of the songs as if there were someons singing the melody line, maybe even write out a "lyrical" line, then translate it to the guitar.

i think that's a cool way to play instrumental music without it sounding boring. plus i bet people would think you were a badass guitar player if you were always busting out these sweet melodies.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 4:09 pm

I used to play in an instrumental psychedelic free-jazz/noise type band. The friend I started the band with started letting douchebags into the project and I was kicked out of the band I started for being "unpredictable" during our live shows (I ended up smashing a couple of my instruments out of frustration with the douchebags in the band). I was going to quit anyway, because I wanted to move into a slightly more structured direction. Their is nothing "experimental" about jerking off.

Anyway, unless yer playing jazz, not having a singer is generally a really gay idea.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 4:59 pm

My band the wrong numbers is gonna be instrumental in ruling the universe. LOOKOUT!

you guys are gonna release on lookout? odd.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 5:03 pm

I'm gonna keeeeel youuuuuu!!!!
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 5:19 pm

I was in an improvisational instrumental band called rhizome. We smoked a lot of weed and played around with a 4 track. it was fun, but the results were pretty unlistenably awful.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 1:43 am

Hey 'Slasher, Well, as far as my take onnit goes, playing in The Stripchords, you've got two choices; either be really, really awesome, or just keep the tunes simple'n'snappy. Basically, none of us are gonna better the likes of Link, or Travis Wammack (come to think of it!), so my benchmark is whether, after coming up with a decent hook/riff to base a song on it, I can wake up the next morning and play/hum it BEFORE I've had a coffee/ciggie ...

Mind you, having the 8mm flicks, and go-go dancers means we don't actually have to be THAT great anyhoo!
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 3:14 am

Doing an all instro band is alright if your playing standard surf or Duane Eddy shit...or jazz, I guess. If you're doing some weird noise/indie rock instro shit, forget it. Just saw a band doing that a week ago with a film backdrop...very lame.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 8:39 am

NOISE CHOIR are really great instro local band... total 1968 sound without really trying. and they sing... but sing instro parts, basically. awesome.

yeah, free jazz is great, and then vocals... whole nother deali-o!
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 11:41 am

Yes, Tachyon Lane. We ruled (every once in awhile).

Drums and electronics (synth, pedals, loops, blah).

Although we were completely improvised (we did practice, but that was imrpv too) we were fairly adept at operating in a few modes. Seesawing back and forth between free jazz (like Sun Ra played by Crispin Glover's Down Syndrome acing troupe) Kraut-ish rock (like Neu! getting fucked in the ass by Japantrithicus) and New Wave w/ an "electro"edge (like early Human League shyly going to a German gay club w/ DAF).

When it was on, it was fucking on, even for the most dimwitted/emotionally crippled member of the audience (it's a really good idea if right before you play, sitting/standing at your shit, you light a blunt, take some tokes, and then pass it into the crowd [but don't play on crystal meth; atleast not improv]).

Oh wait, you're talking about rock n roll?

Dude, no singer, I'm out. Peace.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 4:28 pm

Actually, probably the best show we ever played I was way geeked on the devil's dandruff. But I'm special.
Posted: Nov 12, 2006 8:05 pm | Edited by: Buck Wilders

NOISE CHOIR are really great instro local band... total 1968 sound without really trying. and they sing... but sing instro parts, basically. awesome.

You should hear some of the new stuff they've been working on. I've recorded a few new songs that should be on their myspace page soon.
I recorded this stuff at Murphy's... http://www.myspace.com/noisechoir
This was their first show with their new drummer.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®