Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / wfmu record fair
Posted: Nov 4, 2006 10:45 pm

anyone get anything good? I blew all my cash at the norton records table. figures of light playing now... mogen david and the grapes of wrath up next.

plus there was a guy walking around with a print-out of a samantha fox vinyl discography asking every dealer if they had any samantha fox records. gotta love it.
Posted: Nov 4, 2006 11:36 pm

Man, you're makin' me feel rotten. I'm happy with what I bought last week but I want more! Shoulda sold those records earlier.
Posted: Nov 4, 2006 11:37 pm

I'm kinda bummed you went there and spent all your money on currently available (and local!) stuff. I mean, you're at the WFMU fair and there's thousands upon thousands of hard-to-finds. That's what people should be there buying.
Posted: Nov 4, 2006 11:37 pm

Not to dis Norton, no sir.
Posted: Nov 4, 2006 11:55 pm

yeah, i hear you. I did buy a few other things, but I just went a little overboard at the norton table leaving the cash supply low... should have saved that for last.

you should definitely swing by tomorrow, lots of good stuff still left I'm sure.
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 1:30 am

I finally met Adam at the rekkid fair, today!
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 1:33 am

He sold me a bunch of great South Georgia Blues stuff.

And ... THIS heavy piece.

Looking forward to going to see the Kropotkins play tomorrow afternoon there, too...
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 5:27 am

I found a guy with some really heavy duty singles selling for BigBux. Way outta my league. Normally I just skip over those tables, but as I was in a singles gatherin' mood I looked a bit closer and found three boxes chock full of great shit with nothing over two bucks. I ended up pickin up a a stacko'crap from him. Some hits (the copy of Ten Commandments Of Love came in a sleeve marked $30. When I gave it to Kris I had to swear up and down that I only spent a buck on it). Some weirdo shit (I was free associatin' lables, song writers, producers, picking stuff up on Amy, Golband, etc...) If a title looked good ( how can you pass up a record called Itchy Twichy Too?) It was alot fun. I also saw Adam and picked a couple of tuff lookin' blues records from him and a Nutty Squirrles single! All in all a cool time. Can't wait to dig in. Doc Starkes, 5 Royales, Roy Orbison, Mickey Baker, Lee Dorsey... Tomorrow I hit the Nortons. Also a couple of people I know are gonna be selling Sunday only. Sunday aft. is the best time for bargains; people are just interested in dumping stuff so they don't have to drag it back home.
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 2:12 pm

Great to see Pheezy and Andy! I'll probably come on by the fair again today, especially since there are a lot of out-of-towners who'll be around.

Will have to do my best to just hang out and talk shit, not spend more money on obscure free jazz records...
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 3:09 pm | Edited by: d diggler

the fmu rec fair has really gone down hill. it used to rule when it was at that church in the east village. i was reminicin w/ billy about it the other day. i used to regularly pull down 3 grand a weekend in the late 90's-early 00's but then a rot set in. it was all the same dealers w/ all the same stuff an less an less buyers. you shoulda seen the one after 9/11. like 50 people the whole weekend. i think i just broke even. one time alberto made 3 grand sellin dub recs to one guy. alberto rules!!! oh yeah also seen richard an the young lions one time. that ruled too. (an the shadows o knight. not so good.) somebody kick jim gibson an ron house in the balls for me.
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 4:48 pm

the fmu rec fair has really gone down hill.

WERE YOU AT THE FMU FAIR THIS WEEKEND, DIRK - OR IS THIS ONE OF YOUR HOMEBOUND ASTRAL-PROJECTION REVIEWS? MANHATTAN IS JUST A SHORT TRAIN RIDE AWAY FOR YOU, RIGHT? NO LACK OF TRAIN SERVICE ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON, RIGHT? YOUR OLD LADY WILL GIVE YOU AN ADVANCE ON YOUR ALLOWANCE, RIGHT? WHY NOT STOP IN AND SOAK UP A LITTLE LOVE FROM ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FANS? THROW BACK A FEW AND PARTY WITH PALS -- WOO HOO!

JUST WONDERING.
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 4:51 pm

Damn, I wish I had a hundred dollars right now. Fuck. I still owe Tim $90 from last week's haul. Andy, you're story is great. Can't wait to hear the Itchy Twitchy Too sometime.
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 4:55 pm

3 grand sellin dub recs to one guy.

Shit, hope it wasn't Bullwackie's stuff, a lot of those go for a grand each! And if they were dub plates, ouch. 3 grand is a lot, but fuck, I hope Alberto knew what that shit was! How many records was it? There's a really heavy German reggae dealer who goes to FMU every year and snatches reggae and dub from NY dealers. Lot's of that stuff wound up in NY and a lot of the dealers in NYC are more RnR/Jazz/Blues oriented so they just stick a number on the record. Sometimes way too high, sometimes way too low. 30 bucks is VERY low for a lot of those.

Yeah, I don't even go to FMU any more. I did really well selling there one year, but too much scum there. Brings out the worst in a lot of people. Nowadays most of the dealers are getting there prices from eBay, nothing wrong with that from the perspective of the seller who wants the market value, it's just, why not just look on eBay if your buying? I dunno. It's a cool idea, I support it, just hate being around all them goons.
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 5:36 pm

I understand not liking the fair, it's a cesspool of greed and body odor. Obsessive-compulsive-nearsighted-nerdy-know-it-alls gathering together in giant tub of chocolate pudding. I had fun yesterday, but there have been times when I had to leave after 5 minutes. I always go. Kris can't take it. She calls it "a 1000 miles of asscrack".
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 7:44 pm

i went on friday night. got a bunch of country blues comps. and finally got the get right with god LP!

looked around for adam, but didn't see him anywhere.

i planned on going back yesterday morning, but i woke up with a fuckin deadly cold. my throat is almost totally blocked off and so fuckin sore.... too many dealer dicks to get those low-low prices?. whoooooooooops!

too bad you didn't go sniper, cause i saw a copy of your favorite track off the killed by death DIY comp. DRUMS OVER LONDON. went over to the academy table to see if you were around. nada.

i wanted that Spelling Missteaks EP that bruce cantly was selling pretty bad. ah, way too much good stuff there.
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 9:26 pm | Edited by: mikesniper

Fuck! How much was that Astro Zombies????

And who's table??
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 11:12 pm

it was at the english guy who runs the NY underground punk record fair that was at CBGBs last year. can't remember his name right now.

it was more than 20 bucks i can tell you that, but i don't recall the exact price. he had a separate box of serious KBD collector junk. it was in there.

look him up, he might still have it.

how much should a spelling missteaks EP go for? i see 'em on popsike for pretty much 100, but ryebread had one for 50 on ebay recently.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 12:20 am

$50 sounds about right for that record, I think the one that went for $100 is a fluke. It's in the 45-60 range.

Yeah, that 'Zombies record is great but no more than $25. Shit. Oh well! I know that dealer. He sometimes has great shit. Including this pre-Waterboys arty powerpop/punk 7" that I forget the name of.

Hrmph.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 1:39 am

"a 1000 miles of asscrack".
hahaha! similar to how I like to rate record shows by the number of basement dwellers per square feet... and honestly, I have found that the WFMU show has the fewest. Austin gets pretty bad... Allentown the worst.

my other half and I started setting up there when it was in the church. stopped going when that post-9/11 show was so awful. Until then, it had been plenty good and was always tons of fun. My fave finds were a pile of double entendre 78s and riske party records... and lotsa booted old video.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 1:57 am | Edited by: Adam

. My fave finds were a pile of double entendre 78s

I got a few of those today for a buck each. The dealer said, "I knew somebody would be dumb enough to buy these eventually..." Ha! As if I could resist a 78 with a plain red label that simply reads "oh boy".

looked around for adam, but didn't see him anywhere.

Was only sellng there on Saturday, boss. Glad you finally scored Get Right with God. It's a killer.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 3:10 am

FEH
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 4:52 am

The dealer said, "I knew somebody would be dumb enough to buy these eventually..."

Ah ha! admirable salesmanship, there! ...but you and I know who the dummy is in that deal!

...so funny hearing two ladies with prissy late 40s studio diction saying stuff like "and I'd so like to go down on him!"
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 7:42 am

Was a lot less crowded today.. Got a shitload more singles (nuther 30-40!) people was giving shit away. Picked up some Norton Lps... WAHOO!!
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 11:51 am

I haven't been to one in a few years. I used to help watch the Used Kid's table when Ron House would go out for a sandwich & a beer. I recall them being kinda fun & meeting people like Mark Ibold, Thurston Moore, Jim Foetus, Byron Coley, & Tom Verlaine.

I bought the 1st copy of Faust's "So Far" I'd ever seen at a WFMU record fair. I love that record.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 3:02 pm

actualy i made 5 grand in that reage sale... and the prices were fair... one dealer bought first 4 Lp's... for 300 bucks and resold them for double to the guy who bought me the whole load... damn that was a good sale... i wish i had that bread right now....
europe sucks you cant get good records around here.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 3:17 pm

You can, but you have to start liking hippie music.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 3:17 pm

Agreed, visiting a 2nd hand store in Europe is usually a waste of time.
Especially when the records aren't alphabetized/categorized. Going thru a couple of thousand records and only see the same stuff over and over again can drive a man crazy.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 4:38 pm

anyone see Byron at this last show? I had heard that he had skipped the past few.

and.... Hi Alberto! Kurt sez hi, too! :D
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 5:00 pm

Especially when the records aren't alphabetized/categorized. Going thru a couple of thousand records and only see the same stuff over and over again can drive a man crazy.

I was in Italy last week for my honeymoon and I was shocked at how overpriced the records were.... one place in Florence was selling in-print Crypt/Norton LPs for $40-$45 each! is all of Europe like that?? shipping's not THAT expensive...

The wine was cheap as hell though. I was lucky enough to catch a show by the Rippers and you could get a good bottle of wine at the show for 2.50 euros... the Italian kids would dance while chugging from the bottle.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 5:26 pm

one place in Florence was selling in-print Crypt/Norton LPs for $40-$45 each! is all of Europe like that??

Hell no, but records are indeed more expensive than in the States.
That's why I mailorder shitloads of records instead of buying em here, i.e. if you can find em here.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 5:55 pm

Not if you schlep over a pile of used vinyl that's worth $5-10 in the states. Unload that stuff, and it can pay for a chunk of your trip.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 8:51 pm | Edited by: andy

Adam- remember me saying that I thought I had a record by Monroe "Guy" Jackson? Well it turns out it's by Munroe Moe Jackson. It's called Go Away From My Door, it's pretty much indescribable, closest I could come would be Harmonica Frank singing Surfin Bird. It was reissued on an album called Country Blues Classics Vol.1 on the Blues Classics Label. Only info listed is: recorded 1950s. Same Guy??? Could be. There are certain similarities in the guitar playing, I'm gonna have to hear 'em both back to back a couple of times. The energy on Go Away is ridiculous, He sounds at different points like a hillbilly, a theremin, Clarence Frogman Henry, and Bo Diddley. It's just one guy and a guitar. I think it's been comped more recently, maybe on on of the Stompin' comps where they focus on country blues.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 9:17 pm

I don't think I've ever heard Munroe Moe Jackson before. Sounds like I'd probably remember if I had. Will need to investigate!

Was I talking with you about Moses Williams and his diddley-bow? Not sure, but maybe you'd like this cut all the same:

http://www.floridamemory.com/collections/folklife/mps/MosesWilliams.mp 3
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 9:59 pm

That's great... I love the way he gets distortion without any electricity.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 10:01 pm

Or I should say the way he get's electricity without a plug.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 10:38 pm

His muffler's draggin'!
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 11:31 pm

Here's a shot of Moses Williams playing (maybe the can at the top helps to make his sound dirtier?): http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/folklife/fp824a.jpg

A few other cuts by Moses can be heard on the "Drop on Down in Florida" double album set put out by Florida Folklife, if you ever turn that one up. That's a pretty fantastic collection all the way through.

I've meant to try to find our man Moses for a while but have never gotten my act together. He'd be in his late 80s now, but last time I looked there were a few Moses Williams' still living in Florida, so I guess he might still be out there, continuing to play at kids' parties...
Posted: Nov 7, 2006 1:09 am

His muffler's draggin'!

Exacly what it sounds like! FUNNY!

Moses Williams

I never hearda him but I'm down with Amos Moses. WOOHOO!
Posted: Nov 7, 2006 3:07 am

Bazooka, Itchy Twichy Too is by the Metallics, and it's a great Hank Ballard type of uptempo early 60s dance#. I also got Shaggy Dog by Mickey Lee Lane, do you know that one? It rules in kind of a gamma gamma goochie way, I'm lovin' it.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:16 pm

turns out it's by Munroe Moe Jackson. It's called Go Away From My Door

hear it hyah! (comp'ed on desperate rock & roll, vol. 7)
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:21 pm

I also got Shaggy Dog by Mickey Lee Lane, do you know that one? It rules in kind of a gamma gamma goochie way, I'm lovin' it.

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't already have it. It's his easiest single to get. Only prob with it is a bunch of copies were pressed off center so you have to play it centered sans adapter. I'm guessing yours is ok. Sixteene just got the Hank Ballard single that sounds NOTHING like most of his other stuff. It' called "Do It Zulu Style" and it BANGS. One friend of mine already suggested I poison her and take her recs.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:33 pm

hear it hyah!

Jeezum crow! Thanks!!

For some reason, that made me think about those Elmo Newcomer 78s I've got waiting for me at the post office:

http://www.karavanrecords.net/George/78ElmoNewc.mp3
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:39 pm

hear it hyah

That's the guy! That's my kind of entertainment.

Mickey Lee Lane

I only knew Hey Saloney. My copy is fine, it's me that's off center.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:51 pm

I only knew Hey Saloney.

Hey Sha Lo Ney.

I know you know his killer "The Zoo." It's on the second vol. of "At The Party."
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 4:59 pm

"The Zoo."

Oh yeah! Me and dave spazz were just yappin about it a couple of weeks ago.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 10:19 pm

He was definitely there on Fri night, so probably at least Sat as well. I can't recall any show he wasn't at, and I've been going since the days it was held in the Hoboken Elks Lodge basement (well, I can't recall if he went back then, but definitely the last 5+ years).

anyone see Byron at this last show? I had heard that he had skipped the past few.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Sorry Mike, I've got to call you out on this. How is this any different from what you do pricing records at Academy? And just like I still find deals at Academy, I still find deals at WFMU. Unfortunately I wasn't the one guy this year who got a big deal KBD record for $1, but I did go home with a nice stack of records which cost me well below what I would have paid on eBay. And at least one was something I'd been watching for on eBay for some time, but it never turned up. WFMU has its faults for sure, and I wouldn't necessarily travel far to get to it, but I don't understand why any NYC record collector would skip it.

Nowadays most of the dealers are getting there prices from eBay, nothing wrong with that from the perspective of the seller who wants the market value, it's just, why not just look on eBay if your buying? I dunno. It's a cool idea, I support it, just hate being around all them goons.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 10:27 pm

can't you read...you don't have to hang out with a bunch of fucking toolboxes when you buy shit on ebay

unless you browse ebay from a tool shop
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:22 pm

Three hours worth of picking thru cheapo boxes of 90s indie vinyl at the last WFMU covered my entire trip to NYC when I flipped 'em on ebay when I got home. Who doesn't love the first Beck 7"? Or that John Frusciante 7" on Birdman? And still walked away with both orig Compulsive Gamblers singles ($7 each) and a bunch of other cool garage punk singles.
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 8:46 pm

So who's in for this year?
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 10:47 pm

i'm out nfortubnately. i'll be digging all over the PA area for the next year, and maybe even SELLING next year if things go right.
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 11:19 pm

$50 sounds about right for that record

I got it off eBay for five bucks last year! I rule! Sleeveless tho ....
Posted: Oct 21, 2007 12:28 am

So who's in for this year?

Wanna check it out. Flaked last year. Will def. be broke though. Suck.
Posted: Oct 21, 2007 6:13 pm

i'm out nfortubnately. i'll be digging all over the PA area for the next year, and maybe even SELLING next year if things go right.

Have you had good luck scoring records in PA, Joe? I've tried a couple times when passing through the state and never found anything interesting, but maybe that's not surprising since I tend to rely on blind squirrel luck when digging.
Posted: Oct 21, 2007 6:30 pm

i've found a couple weird xtian lp's. a mint shirley scott "mystical lady" in the shrink (killer later 60's go-go, dusted funk jams on it), a dr. jack van impe lp with the sickest sound bite ever on it, a bunch of decent command stuff, a few good 45's including thew two big boxes xtine's dad sent us that someone was throwing away down there with a nice stack of top shelf r&b in it (!!!), a couple cool hot rod lp's, etc... and that's just in one area. i'm gonna try to go somewhere every weekend, plus ther'es a record fairl every month in lancaster, and we'll only be an hour away from here.
Posted: Oct 21, 2007 8:55 pm

somebody please sell me a 'drinking is great' (poison idea, E13) comp
Posted: Oct 22, 2007 8:53 am

Ten Commandments Of Love
I saw two Moonglow/Harvey 7" on Chess and bought one, but that was in cheepo Seattle yesterday at the Center record fair. Found two killer Alvin Cash 45s "Boogaloo" and "Do The Ali Shuffle". Then, thanks to that Turtles thread, I got a nice copy of "Buzzsaw"

Most 45s I scored were in the $4-$8 range some lower.

+, you always get to see Dave from the Fallouts thumbing his way thru the lp boxes. Ran into Millman (Stiches) and asked if he got anything good and he said, "yeah, a mono copy of John Wesley Harding with a red lable!"
Posted: Oct 22, 2007 4:34 pm

I've got a table on Saturday with ryebread and jaylitch. We'll have everything from dollar records to 3 figures. If you've been waiting to buy the 45 Revolutions book, this is your chance to get it for good cash price + no shipping.
hookorcrook
Posted: Oct 22, 2007 5:05 pm

Andy- THE METALLICS, right? If so, i have that in my jukebox, great record.
Posted: Oct 22, 2007 5:06 pm

3 figures

$100- $999.

Nice.
Posted: Oct 22, 2007 6:37 pm

3 figures

$100- $999.

Nice.

I don't think I have anything over $300, but I suspect Ryan will bring some dingers. Based on the few years I've been doing a table, the average record sold is more like $10.
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 8:10 am

Anybody in this year? I'll be selling on Saturday, table F-1.
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 4:13 am

That time of year again. I'll be at table D21 on Saturday. Anyone else?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®