Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Crucial Pelican Action
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 9:56 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6083468.stm

Pelican swallows pigeon in park
Families and tourists in a London park were left shocked when a pelican picked up and swallowed a pigeon.
The unusual wildlife spectacle in St James's Park was caught on camera by photographer Cathal McNaughton.

He said the Eastern White pelican had the unfortunate pigeon in its beak for more than 20 minutes before swallowing it whole.

An RSPB spokesman said: "It is almost unheard of for a pelican to eat a bird. Their diet should be strictly fish."

Mr McNaughton, from the Press Association, said: "The pelican was on the towpath preening itself, and there were a lot of tourists watching it.

It was kicking and flapping the whole way down
Cathal McNaughton

"Then the bird got up and strolled along until it reached one of the pigeons, which it just grabbed in its beak.

"There was a bit of a struggle for about 20 minutes, with all these people watching. The pelican only opened its mouth a couple of times.

"Then it managed to get the pigeon to go head first down its throat. It was kicking and flapping the whole way down."

There are currently five pelicans living near Duck Island in St James's Park - four Eastern Whites and one Louisiana Brown.

Pelicans were introduced into the park during King Charles II's reign as a gift from the Russian ambassador.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/06/uk_enl_1161769756/htm l/1.stm
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 10:05 pm

I hate pigeons.
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 10:06 pm

I love pelicans.
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 10:07 pm

I hate bazookas and people that say wild.
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 10:11 pm

i love pelicans, hate pigeons, and am satisfied that this pelican was sent by jesus to eat all the pigeons of the world, just like the memphis manatee was sent by jesus to cure memphis' racial ills but not to ruin its barbecue.
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 10:16 pm

There is no Jesus, only Zuul.
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 10:22 pm

ahem...
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 12:35 am

Of course, it could have been a puppy instead of a pigeon, and it likely wouldn't have put up much of a fight at all.
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 12:59 am

this pelican was sent by jesus to eat all the pigeons of the world

haha. mormons have a similar story. seagulls eating crickets. i wish he would send something besides me to get rid of the seagulls. like dinosaurs.
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 8:29 pm

Yesterday morning I saw a hawk have it's way with some bird while 4 crows tried to steal it away. This all went down within the city limits. Wild America.
manatee
Back in '92 I got a chance to witness an autopsy. Some big fat female got hit with a power boat. It had prop slices from head to tail. They pulled out the stomach and removed her last meal. Unfortunatly they don't eat humans.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 6:35 am | Edited by: eric o

Posted: Nov 6, 2006 6:40 am

and, of course, the classic pelican kidnappers from inside edition!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VTU8OYBJfsY

CRUCIAL!!!
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 3:17 pm

underdog thread of the year!
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 3:27 pm

inside edition

Watched this clip last night. Isn't that Bill O'Reily at the beginning? He's been keeping up with the terrorists for a while.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 3:37 pm

and, of course, the classic pelican kidnappers from inside edition!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VTU8OYBJfsY

CRUCIAL!!!

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been looking for this on youtube for months!
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 7:08 pm

it was tough to get!

THE PELICANS KIDNAPPINGS!

THEY WILL CONTINUE ON!

AND ON AND ON!
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 7:13 pm

Am I tripping???
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®