Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Stereolab Appreciation Thread
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 4:07 am

All right, I haven't listened to these guys in ages, but I recall really liking the 7" with John Cage Bubblegum & the singles comp CD they did for Drag City (Refried Ectoplasm?) had some great moments on it also.

Just wondering if anyone on this site had an opinion one way or another on this band. I'm not the biggest fan & I wouldn't pay $40 or something like that to see them, but I like them. They've had some really good tracks in my humble, but correct opinion. I don't know about Emporer Tomato Ketchup or something like that, though.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 4:37 am

i appreciate stereolab.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 4:48 am

They're good.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 4:52 am

I appreciate this thread.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 4:52 am

Hey, Mullett, are you still looking for the X (aussie) on Am Rep? I have it on my hard drive if you wanna swap...
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 4:58 am

Hey, Mullett, are you still looking for the X (aussie) on Am Rep? I have it on my hard drive if you wanna swap...

Don't know... I've got a few things by X, but I can't remember all of them. One of the discs is "At Home With X", plus a couple other CDs, plus 2 or 3 singles. With your kind permission, let me take an inventory when I am home this morning.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 5:02 am

HOME IS WHERE THE FLOOR IS!

amazing.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 5:03 am

The name of the C.D. is "Aspirations". w/ suck suck present simulated lovers police and so forth...
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 5:05 am

'Transient Noise-Bursts...'
'Switched-On'
early singles and various EPs
'Emperor Tomato Ketchup' is real good. Sophisticated party record, if such a thing is allowed to exist. It's pretty pricey but the split/remix 12" w/ Nurse With Wound rules. Shoulda broke up along damn time ago.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 5:06 am

The name of the C.D. is \"Aspirations\". w/ suck suck present simulated lovers police and so forth...

Hmmm... I believe I have that one. Again, let me take inventory when I am home. Thanks for caring. I\'m touched. Kinda like when my uncle touched me.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 5:10 am

Oh. I seem to recall that in a thread about the aussie X you were axing around about the am rep release. I had even seen t. hazelmeyer and axed him about the said release. I get the feeling he don't like record collectors or other johnny-cum-latelys. but my friend had it and i ripped it to my hard-drive...
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 5:49 am

The laundry list of what Haze has said & done is too numerous to list here. I think I have the AmRep one. I will double check, though. If you are looking for a swap, let me know what's on your wish list. Somewhere around the house I have a list of my LPs which is a bit different now 'cause I bought & traded some since then. The CDs are getting out of hand. I don't have a list of them, I keep buying them at shows, & people continue to give me CD-Rs of their band or artists friends think I will like.

It never ends.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 3:16 pm

Stereolab is what the label on stereo Vangaurd Records releases said around the edge. Vangaurd is the label that released Perrey and Kinglsey albums, so there's your connection for band name origins. That said, I've never listened to them much, just a few songs here and there, but one time I swallowed a teaspoon full of GHB and heard Stereolab (swirling around the room) then puked all over the place. GOOD TIMES!
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 3:41 pm

Yeah, what Heir Ick said. I always thought their best album was 'Mars Audicac Quintet'. They started to suck around 'Dots and Loops'. When they started messing around with John McEntire and Jim O'Rourke it was all downhill into endless blippy bloops and AOR boredom.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 4:05 pm

Agreed about sucking around Dots and Loops once John McEntire turned them into a Tortoise side project.(some good grooves tho)

that said

Emperor Tomato Ketchup is pretty ok

MARS AUDIAC QUINTET is A Maze ing!
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 4:25 pm

I'm guilty on occasion. They're kind of a one-trick-pony though, so I can only listen to one side of one record before giving 'em a rest 'till next time.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 2:32 am

I like 'em but I still like Switched On best, even after buying a few others - especially that first song. Their original drummer was a monster.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 2:37 am

I swallowed a teaspoon full of GHB

errr, you don't wanna use that drug on yourself, rather that special prudish someone that you are on a first date w/...
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 2:38 am

I get uglier too...
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 3:08 am

I swallowed a teaspoon full of GHB

errr, you don't wanna use that drug on yourself, rather that special prudish someone that you are on a first date w/...

Did it twice. I'm over it. Made the Stereolab sound real cool though!
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 3:11 am

Posted: Oct 19, 2006 3:20 am

http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/uv/images/ugly_guyshead.jpeg

That's me rolling on x at the Mark Foley page appreciation gala...
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 3:23 am

Just busted out the Emperor Tomato Ketchup last week. Good stuff. I saw what appears to be a new Stereolab album (it's hard to keep up with all their stuff) at Shangri-La the other day. Orange cover with lots of graphics ...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®