Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Fall is the season of folk rock
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 4:22 am

Allright! Fall is here. My favorite season. Windy, cold and reflective. This is also the time of year that I most enjoy one of my favorite genre's, folk rock! Some of my fave's are: West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Byrds, Turtles, Leaves, Gene Clark solo stuff, Lee Hazlewood, Blue Things, Nightcrawlers, Esquires, Guilloteens, Dion, Bobbie Gentry, Nobles and the Escapades. Anybody else find the weather perfectly suited for the jangle? What are some of yer faves?
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 5:03 am | Edited by: ed oblivian

Also, First Fairport Convention, Brotherhood (folk rock effort by everybody in the Raiders except Mark Lindsey) and almost forgot... Simon and Garfunkel. Rarley does the situation present itself to listen to S&G by choice. Oversaturation of about 5 songs sometimes makes you forget how great some of the other album cuts were. Not to mention one of my other great guilty pleasures, Lovin Spoonful. Maybe the most unfortunate band name of all time. Skip spence too!!!!
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:14 am

I was listening to the Turtles yesterday, after not playing 'em forever, so maybe you got something there! After leaning heavy on 60's soul stuff all summer I realized about a week ago that what I really wanna hear now is classic bubblegum and straight up rock and roll. Lovin' Spoonful shouldn't be a guilty pleasure, they're fuckin' great! Been diggin' T.Rex, Eddie Cochran, Joe Meek, Everly Bros... New for me is Rockpile era Dave Edmunds. I'm just hearing that stuff for the 1st time, I like it a lot though sometimes it get's a little claustrophobic as far as production values go. Lots and lots of layered vocals where maybe one harmony vocal would have done the trick. Fogerty did that a lot with Creedence and it always kind of bugged me. They (rockpile) must have kicked ass live (there's a ton of youtube clips up for a taste). Great guitar playing, I never even heard of Billy Bremmer before.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:53 am | Edited by: ed oblivian

Yep, powerpop counts as jangle too! "things that make it, things that jangle, distorted sounds from every angle". Gotta dig out some Rockpile. Word is they were pretty unbeatable live. I been diggin hard on the Everly brothers too, stuff on Warners mostly. Especially that album "two Yanks" with the Hollies, awesome! Good time of year to get yer Smiths on' as well.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 7:46 am

got any Blodwynn Pig..? not sure if there folk tho..? ( Mick Abrahms..formerly of Jethro Tull 1969-1970)
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 8:18 am

Not to mention one of my other great guilty pleasures, Lovin Spoonful.

that's not a GUILTY PLEASURE.... Lovin Spoonful were amazing! first band i saw live!

i'm BIG BIG BIG into fairport convention (and richard thompson solo, but of course)

a contemporary band i like that makes full use of all their members' amazing voices is VOLEBEATS.... they released an album last year called "like her" and the title track could easily fit on a mamas & papas record --- the harmonies, melody...

good call on a season for folk rock, ed.
i have a "music video" of bobbie gentry doing "ode to billie joe" which i will dub onto a DVD for you.... its way cool

Gotta dig out some Rockpile. Word is they were pretty unbeatable live.
fuck yeah! billy bremner is woefully under rated, and i've always been a big fan of both dave edmunds and nick lowe. seemed like they played LA several times in the 80s... it was always a not-to-be-missed event. people left their punk rock/new wave snobbery at the door and simply rocked
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 8:25 am

If I had my choice of any one in the world to be the producer of any band I've ever been in I think I'd pick Nick Lowe.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 9:44 am

Posted: Oct 15, 2006 1:14 pm

fall is always when I appreciate the 80's NWOBHM best
especially out in nature

no idea why
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 2:19 pm

The new Bert Jansch is pretty good, even though it is almost a "duets" record. I really liked the majority of it. Beau Brummels are great this time of year. Townes of course. David Blue is a folk rock hero of mine. His first record is very amazing in a Dylan-esque way. My favorite psych-folk bizarro record of the year ( i discovered it this year) is Mar-dell. She's a s singer from the late 70's from northern Ohio. Her record is very mystical and serene. (Private press unfortunately). And of course...Fred Neil. I could listen to that voice for ever.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 3:52 pm

I was about to add the first Fairport Convention...even the cover says "FALL!!!!"
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 4:07 pm

It's summer all year round in my house. Today has been nothing but the Centurions and Milk 'n' Cookies. hmmm, cookies
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 4:52 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

Anybody else find the weather perfectly suited for the jangle?

Yeah, certainly I break out The Byrds, Leaves and Turtles 'round this time o' year. October/November is the dust-off-"Forever Changes"-period.
I find myself listening to a lot more meloncholy from now leading into Christmas; Neil Young acoustic records, Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" and especially sad old country albums.
I know that's a departure from the "folk" theme, but all those are fall for me.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 4:57 pm

Euphoria "A Gift From Euphoria"
Moby Grape
Charlatans

It's not folk-rock, but that first Golden Earrings record, "Just Earrings" is great jangly beat.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 5:12 pm

this is the time of the year for pre-war blues too. son house, skip james...
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 5:22 pm

Been listening to the Turtles in the car this past week. Many of the album tracks are amazing - "Too Young to Be One," "I Get Out Breath," etc.

Love some P.F. Sloan too. I really wanted his new record to be great but couldn't really get into what I've heard so far.

Big fan of S&G's "Flowers Never Bend With the Rainfall."

I think the Beau Brummels are perfect for this time of year. Especially that Volume 2 record.
Early Idea of March, too!
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 5:34 pm

(for "ed's" who else likes folk rock thread)

a fall message from dirk diggler:

this is the gayest thread ever. why don't you fags go play footsie at the gay bar an talk about the fall folliage over some hot cider??? you can wear yer sweaters around yer necks like the french queers do an hold hands skippin down the street. all the leaves are brown...
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 5:50 pm

Thats me babe. Gay as all get out.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 5:52 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

That reminds me; I've got to pull all of my fall cardigans out of the garage.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 5:53 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Hey "ed," my friend Dave said this band sounds like they should have been an opening band for Fairport Cpnvention. I have no idea what they sound like, but I dig the shit out of these guys. The song "October Fires" kills me: http://www.myspace.com/wolfpeople
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:02 pm

Go Sailor
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:07 pm

Anybody hear that Fairport Convention BBC session CD that came out a while back? Really amazing. I checked out the wolfpeople site but my speakers are busted so I couldn't check out the track. I'll have to look around for the 7 inch. Great time to break out the first Dwight Twilley as well. I'm with ya Willie, anything meloncholy works for me right about now. Any of the moodier Them cuts, "I kicked my heart when I saw you standin there in your dress of blue." New Goodnight Loving folds pretty nicely into this mix as well!
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:08 pm

Thank you bazooka joe!!!! I love that! Any more new bands doing this style?
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:10 pm

I have no idea. Is "October Fires" the best song you ever heard or what?
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:12 pm

I was expecting some wackness, to be honest, but then it kicks in and...well, let's just say, it gave me some faith!
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:24 pm

What about Nick Drake...he seems perfect for the season...maybe to sensitive for Goners?...Has anyone here heard Sybille Baier's "Color Green" CD? Very Nico-like and somber folk from around 1970. It was reissued this year. It's really good if you like that kind of thing.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:26 pm

I like Nick Drake and Leonard Cohen just fine, but they're more like kill-yourself-in-the-dead-of-winter period.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Love that kina stuff too shenanigan, need to break out Nico's "chelsea girls". Love "somewhere there's a feather" off that. Definitely Jackson Browne's finest moment.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 6:37 pm

Yeah I guess you're right about the winter part...I guess I sink into the sunless months a little quickly...that's one of the reasons I had to move from New England. Most folk singer songwriter stuff is not particularly "cheery"- so folk rock is better for fall. Along with bleak poetry about mortality (isn't that most poetry?)- I have a soft spot for that too...and sitting in cold rooms shivering...and watching Lon Chaney Sr movies...depression CAN be entertaining!
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 7:07 pm

I just got into some later Dion. Holey moley. Good stuff.
'900 Miles' & 'Now' off of the 'Wonder Where I'm Bound' album are awesome. I downloaded the 2 tunes off a music blog. Is the album decent?

A wierd Fall favourite of mine is waaaay later Gene Vincent. 'The Challenge Sessions' (Gene Autry's label) is a bunch of cuts he did three or four years before he died. You can often find all these tunes on the cheapest gas station CDs for less than 5 bucks, but I likes 'em.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 7:12 pm

I just got into some later Dion.

I never gave Dion much thought until recently when I heard some of that stuff. Been wantin' to get it now.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 7:13 pm

a bullet for fidel
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 7:39 pm

Sinatra's 'Watertown'.
Bobby Gentry's 'Local Gentry'.
Frankie Valli's 'Timeless'.

Other turntable regulars.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 7:50 pm

I've been listening to a ton of the, uh, Fall. Not intentially. It's just good 'n stuff.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 8:04 pm

Sure is. But none of this is intentional, I'm just in the mood for it. The Dion "wonder where I'm bound" LP is great. Also the Belmonts "together" LP on ABC. This album contains "my girl the month of may" which Dion wrote and Fairport later covered.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Joe South, the new Head, and the Fall all sounding very nice as the weather crispens up.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 8:12 pm

Was just listening to the fall the other day, they do sort of a cover of a Gentrys song, only they leave out about half the lyrics. "Everyday I have to cry". Must've heard it a hundred times and just realized what song they were doin.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 8:15 pm

goldberg variations
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 8:23 pm

Been on a Velvets kick last couple weeks too. That Rockets album on White Whale has been gettin plenty of play. Kinda like the Velvet Underground crossed with the Impresions. Moody with violin but real soulful too.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 8:28 pm

That Heyday Fairport Convention BBC LP is fuckin' amazing! Some Sweet Day and their version of Tried So Hard are incredible. And the french version of "If You Gotta Go, Go Now"... oh man...

I've been really into the Mermaid Session records Billy Bragg did with Wilco, I didn't know what to expect, but it's a cool concept and sounds really original.

Asteral Weeks sounded really good on a fall, car ride last week too.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 8:40 pm

Anybody heard that Andy Votel comp called "Folk Is Not A Four Letter Word?" Me neither, but I'd love to check it out. That cat has some deeeep crates. Also wanna hear his "Welsh Rare Beat" comp.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 9:59 pm

'...the new Head...'

eric o, what is this???
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 10:05 pm

Posted: Oct 15, 2006 10:32 pm

that other Gandalf record is great beeswarm troll folk.

the grey wizard am I Gandalf.

"old town church" sounds like eleven twelve string guitars playing at once. makes you wanna go to a ren fest and eat a scotch egg and joust someone.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 10:32 pm

Andy "Good cuz it's not from the US or UK" Votel.

Welsh Rare Beat is ok.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 10:37 pm

Really? That mediocre? I've seen Academy use his name as a selling point for LP's in the racks. That doesn't seem to give the store much cred now.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 11:17 pm

just finished watching Gram Parons Fallen Angel....perfect thing for a day like today....

FC BBC sessions are truly wonderful.....i think sandy denny and richard thompson singing "tried so hard" made me fall in love with Gene Clark even more......got dumped right around the time i first got this record and listened to that and their cover of "you never wanted me" over and over and over.....oh and "close the door"? oh man!

what a great thread, ed.

fiery, i'll still burn those Richard and Linda Thompson records for you, if you want...
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 11:20 pm

i'm just borrowed the gentry's keep on dancin form a friend and that every day i hva eto cry song rules......and i always thought that "so sad" was written by the turtles....
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 11:29 pm

all the leaves are brown...
and the sky is grey (it actually really is today)... california dreamin on such a winter's day....

i thought that was so gay when it came out. but now, i LOVE LOVE LOVE it and most of john phillips stuff.

i have said it before and will say it again: i am a closet folkie. you all just outed me!

richard & linda thompson/shoot out the lights - one of the best records EVER!
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 11:31 pm

new HEAD lp should be out by November,says ree ree!

Goner single sometime in 2007 (or 2008 or 2009... they work at their own speed.)
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 11:33 pm

"so sad" was written by the turtles....
i just relized i'm thinking of a completely different song.
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 11:43 pm

Ulver's albums "Bergtatt" and "Kveldssanger" and Agalloch's "Pale Folklore" and "The Mantle"

perfect for starting a huge fire that consumes your town
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 12:18 am

i'm just borrowed the gentry's keep on dancin[sic]

I'm sure all these Memphians on here are proud of that one. The "Keep on Dancin'" LP is a super treasure. It's one of my favorite teen garage band records.
Doesn't Reigning Sound cover "Brown Paper Sack"?
Hometown homage?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 12:50 am

Jesus Grant, what does your record collection look like these days?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 1:02 am

What the hell is that supposed to mean?!
It looks great; hasn't grown as much lately as I'd like, but if that's a dig about the Gentries you can suck it! I've got most all the teen hoot and that record still holds up.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 1:17 am | Edited by: ed oblivian

The Gentrys were pretty much the only Memphis garage band to go on to a major label contract that yeilded an album. Two albums! I don't count the one on Shelby Singleton's Sun. Hart is the only original member and it doesn't retain much of their sound, and well... it sucks. But what are the odds? So many great local rock bands and only one band makes it to the album stage. Well, Tight Little Unit had an LP on Orchid Of Memphis but thats hard to find, even in Memphis. We've done three songs on that album. "so sad", "brown paper sack", "Don't send me no flowers". I like doin Memphis stuff. There's so many good songs folks from outa' town aint heard.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 1:20 am

fiery, i'll still burn those Richard and Linda Thompson records for you, if you want...

I would love this. I can copy a couple of those Bill Callahan Disaster zines for you in exchange. Email me at fierydrunk@hotmail.com
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 2:28 am

"those Bill Callahan Disaster zines for you in exchange"

awesome! that's a great idea!

"I'm sure all these Memphians on here are proud of that one"

hey, i have a question, when i was in Memphis last, i got into a conversation with one of the cashiers at Sun about Tony Joe and he told me I should pick up stuff from Dan Penn if i liked TJ so much.....do any of you guys have records by him? He's from Memphis, right? Which one would any of you suggest?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 2:43 am

if that's a dig about the Gentries you can suck it!

What I meant was, I hear you talkin' about a shitload of records that I know you didn't have when I left. It sounds like you've been buying tons lately, thats all. SHEESH! Why you think I wouldn't dig the Gentrys is beyond me.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 3:08 am

"Don't send me no flowers".
The REAL version of that song was by another Memphis band (actually Whitehaven) called The Breakers. It was written by a girl from Whitehaven named Donna Weiss who later co-wrote " Bette Davis Eyes" with Jackie Deshannon.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 3:17 am

The Gentrys were pretty much the only Memphis garage band to go on to a major label contract that yeilded an album.

Boxtops? yes, no? Not arguing, just curious on your take...
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 3:40 am

Left Banke sounds REAL good in the fall. Rodriguez "Cold Fact" lp. BeeGees "1st" "Rare, Precious and Beautiful" and "Odessa." If you dismiss the BeeGees for their disco sins, these records redeem their musicality. Same with Donovan. If you only listen to the radio hits you might not like him.(Except Hurdy Gurdy man. Pop Psych perfection.) He's got album cuts that are great. Ever heard a good Graham Nash song post - Hollies? Check out "Songs for Beginners" lp. Lovin' Spoonful got mentioned earlier. I was hooked on that song Coconut Grove for weeks. All of these are good fall listening.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 3:48 am

Early Rod Stewart. up thru the mid70's with and w/o the Faces. I LOVE the Faces. I saw Ian McLagan this past Monday at Maxwells and he was plain ol' amazing. What a charming guy, so much fun.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:05 am

Why you think I wouldn't dig the Gentrys is beyond me.

Sorry, Joe. I've probably had that Gentrys LP for at least 6 or 7 years. What I posted earlier made it sound like I thought it was one o' the best records ever, which it isn't, but I think it's a fun record. I thought you was pokin' some fun. Remember that time at PDQ records in Tucson when you called me a hippie 'cause I was buying like, "Turn, Turn, Turn" or something by The Byrds?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:16 am

I saw Ian McLagan this past Monday at Maxwells

Doesn't he live and play regularly in Austin?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:23 am

yes he does. I think it's every thursday from 6-8, but I can't remember the name of the place off the top of my head. He had the same band with him as the last time I saw him, about 2 years ago. Really good stuff. Hauls the B-3 around. Definitely the real deal.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:29 am

Remember that time at PDQ records in Tucson when you called me a hippie 'cause I was buying like, "Turn, Turn, Turn" or something by The Byrds?

Yeah. I hate that fuckin' record to this day and I even had a copy just to find out if I was missing something, HIPPIE!
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:30 am

Oh yeah, most of the music on this thread isn't folk at all. Just sayin'.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:37 am

Yeah. I hate that fuckin' record to this day and I even had a copy just to find out if I was missing something, HIPPIE!

They looked cooler than anybody though.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:39 am

They looked cooler than anybody though.

Anybody but The Velvet Underground & The Music Machine.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:54 am

Oh yeah, most of the music on this thread isn't folk at all. Just sayin'.

True, but wadda ya want, Kingston Trio?
"There's a mighty wind a blowin'"
I like a lot of folk-rock and folk music, but I don't go so far as to enjoy much of the w.a.s.p., frat folk thing. I loved Simon & Goodfunkel when I was a kid but I can't get behind but a few songs of their's now. I guess they aren't wasps anyway, huh?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:17 am

"Richard and Linda Thompson records"

'I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight' is an awesome record.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:19 am

Really? That mediocre? I've seen Academy use his name as a selling point for LP's in the racks. That doesn't seem to give the store much cred now

Joke.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:22 am

I guess they aren't wasps anyway, huh?

simon & garfunkel - hell no!

but they still sang like angelic choirboys just the same

of course, i think that paul simon could get mighty pretentious, but it was the 60s and that's what lyricists were doing...he was not alone and he was pretty much one of the best of them.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:52 am | Edited by: red eyed willie

Someone might be able to correct me on this, but I think Simon & Garfunkel's worst songs are better than anything Paul Simon did in his solo projects. He became too much the Jewish producer/conductor; no humility, little honesty. I don't wanna point this thread in a "where are they now" direction, though. We could go on and on just about David Crosby or something. I was lovin' all the rich "jangle" recommendations that popped up this morning. Goner's at it's best when you're takin' notes.
Goodnight y'all.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:03 am

Someone might be able to correct me on this, but I think Simon & Garfunkel's worst songs are better than anything Paul Simon did in his solo projects.

i would tend to agree w/ you.
some of the solo paul simon stuff is embarrassing to me (50 ways to leave your lover, for example)
on the other hand...i realize it is paul simon, the man himself that i don't like and i think that even though he's incredibly pretentious, he's still pretty damn good at writing songs, even if i don't love his entire life's oeuvre
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 9:12 am

Oh yeah, most of the music on this thread isn't folk at all.

well the title of the thread is "Fall is the season of folk rock" so I don't see how that matters, Mr. Nitpicker

shouldn't you just be telling us what ol dirk has to say anyways...channel him now. Mr. Medium
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 9:58 am

A friend of mine has done a lot of work for Paul Simon, and says that he's a real humble guy who works hard and readily takes criticism. No star tripping at all. That said, for me he never topped "Lone Teen Ranger". I think I might have suffered a few too many endless rides in the car with the S&G greatest hits 8 track as a young'n.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 12:27 pm

I like Stone Breath. A lot of people don't. Ain't nobody can lisp through creepy pagan lyrics like that dude. Don't know much about his side projects, My Morning Cloak, etc?

Blast some Comus!
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 2:59 pm

Espers (!)
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 3:15 pm

Paul Simon

Red Rubber Ball
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 3:15 pm

Simon and Garfunkel makes me want to go Idi Amin and strip the tongues of the entire human race thus preventing such a horrendously shitty musical recurrance.

Maybe by the time I'm 80 I'll change my mind but then I'll be deaf so that really doesn't count.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 3:35 pm

I don't know anyting about Simon and Garfunkel except for their hits, but I do know that i never cared for Bridge Over Troubled Water. However, when Johnny Cash and Fiona Apple do that song on one of the American Recordings albums, it is just so great. There are a few songs like that on those recordings that when Johnny Cash sings 'em, they're just absolutely beautiful (like "Desperado" I fucking hate that song, but love it when Cash does it). Oh and that Gordon Lightfoot song on American V....never really thought one way or the other about that song, but it's great...

S&G started me on a American Recordings raving.....sorry to get off topic.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 3:42 pm

No one mentioned Sandy Denny ?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Fart Argunkle.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:28 pm

re: the John Phillips talk upthread - I've heard somewhere that his out-of-print solo album, Wolfking of L.A., is being re-did. It's got some good fall-listening folk rock on it IIRC.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:34 pm

Yesterday I pulled out Karen Dalton's "It's So Hard to Tell Who's Going to Love You the Best" and it sounded as great as ever.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:50 pm

implicit in Fairport, no?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:55 pm

lots of talk about super obscure UK and Euro folk on the forums at vinylvulture.com.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:02 pm

A friend of mine has done a lot of work for Paul Simon, and says that he's a real humble guy who works hard and readily takes criticism.

wow. that's incredible to hear. and i'm glad to hear it because each time i have had to work w/ or around paul simon, its been nothing but diva behavior!

he regularly does the rainforest foundation benefit shows w/ sting (for whom i produced elements of that benefit for 10 years), and it is within that situation where i've crossed paths with simon. all the other musicians who participate regularly (including people like springsteen and billy joel - that big of celebrity) are incredibly down-to-earth with minimal demands and restrictions..... only bonnie raitt was a bigger diva than simon.

paul simon comes in with a list of demands and restrictions, including who can look at him and who can talk to him!

i'm sure its really different if you are making music with him in a recording studio and he's chosen you.

when i was restoring the footage and soundtrack to the MONTEREY POP film, and had to deal w/ both simon & garfunkel's camps during the restoration.... their people communicated to me that paul or art said....whatever.... it was ALL DIVA stuff.... mostly "paul isn't on screen for as many frames as art" (they counted?!) and "art walks on stage before paul."

i'm sure a lot of that comes from their management, but those demands originate and are approved from somewhere. all throughout the restoration of the MONTEREY POP stuff, neither of them complained about the recording and the music - they were fine w/ our mix, etc. they were so concerned about their own amount of screen time more than anything. and it was on the amount of screen time that they seemed to hinge their approval. they were fine w/ the sound. that's all that i was thinking they'd be concerned about. but no!
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:12 pm

I did, but in FC vein, not her solo stuff.

lots of talk about super obscure UK and Euro folk on the forums at vinylvulture.com.

Thanks for posting that, Joe.

Goner's at it's best when you're takin' notes.

I'm gonna get a lot of groans for saying this, I'm sure, but I love threads like these. I've learned a bunch already from this one and even on the threads where it's 100% over my head, I love "listening" to you guys talk shop.

TK, whenever one of you "behind the scenes" peeps tell stories like those, it makes me want to vomit! "Who they can and cannot talk to?" Jesus Christ!
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:48 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

A friend of mine has done a lot of work for Paul Simon, and says that he's a real humble guy who works hard and readily takes criticism.

You see? I told you someone could correct me.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:53 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

paul simon comes in with a list of demands and restrictions, including who can look at him and who can talk to him!

...or not.
Who's right around here?!
I'm gonna go listen to thewestcoastpopartexperimentband while you folks sort this out.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:55 pm

around paul simon, its been nothing but diva behavior!

I didn't say that he wasn't a basket case when it comes to "the public" or (especially) "Artie". He's totally neurotic, but he'll listen to my friend's judgement when it comes to things like the quality of performance. Probably because my friend isn't afraid to tell him if he stunk, or that he's wasting his $$$.

When Simon toured with Dylan, they would do some Buddy Holly songs as duets and after the show Simon would ask if there was anything good to hear off of the dat, and they would tell him it was awful and that they had already erased it. Simon would just be like "oh well..."

"Who they can and cannot talk to?" Jesus Christ!

Dylan had this thing where he always wore a hoody, if he had the hood down you could talk to him, if the hood was up steer clear.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:24 pm

Dylan had this thing where he always wore a hoody, if he had the hood down you could talk to him, if the hood was up steer clear.

same thing holds true today, except replace hoody w/ cowboy hat
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:39 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

you know, i suppose there has to some sort of "control" (for lack of a better word) so that not every Tom, Dick and Harry are walking up to these celebrities and geeking out, but there have been a few riders posted on here that are just so far beyond being humble musicians that it makes me sick. Like the Asia rider...who the hell cares about Asia anymore and that rider was just insane.

i think that the way Dylan does that (hat trick) is cool. i mean, it is bob dylan...he's gotta do something, right?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:42 pm

implicit in Fairport, no?

Not necessarily, since she wasn't on the first FC album and then she left the group after 3 albums. Ergo, most FC is sans-Denny. I really like the first FC LP, but I think I prefer the FC stuff with Denny. I haven't heard much post-Denny FC, but I wasn't crazy about most of what I heard. Some of Denny's solo stuff is good or great, but a lot of it is dangerously close to Anne Murray-style MOR material. I REALLY like the stuff Denny did with the Strawbs pre-FC. "I'm On My Way" is catchy as heck.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:53 pm

While he was more of a folk guy than a folk-rocker, Jackson C. Frank is another guy whose stuff really feels like autumn. You can practically smell the leaves burning when you listen to "My Name Is Carnival." He should have been bigger than Paul Simon.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:58 pm

I think I prefer the FC stuff with Denny.

i certainly do. when i think of fairport, i think of sandy denny even though she only touched them for a relatively short period of time

does anyone here like ron sexsmith? i haven't followed him in a while, but i do like what he was doing when he first starting releasing records
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 8:25 pm

the blue things were mentioned earlier. val stoecklin, former member of that band, has a great solo record called "grey life" worth checking out.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 8:30 pm

While he was more of a folk guy than a folk-rocker, Jackson C. Frank is another guy whose stuff really feels like autumn.

I had never heard of him but AMG says he and Sandy Denny met and worked together.

I also love me some June Tabor, a godlike brit folksinger, but not her 'folkrock' albums (with the oyster band).

does anyone here like ron sexsmith?

sexsmith was just too romantic & melancholic for my taste - I still prefer Elliott Smith in small portions cause I have yet to hear music more sad and intense than his.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 8:40 pm

I had never heard of him but AMG says he and Sandy Denny met and worked together.

i believe they were romantically involved, too. that song on the FC BBC sessions 'you never wanted me" is one of his songs.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 8:53 pm

Great time to break out the first Dwight Twilley as well.
And the first Phil Seymour, too.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 9:03 pm

does anyone here like ron sexsmith? i haven't followed him in a while, but i do like what he was doing when he first starting releasing records

Saw him in Austin years ago ('97?) and he was great. Another one of those guys who seems to connect better live than on record, although I've never heard anything he's recorded that's been bad per se.

In fact, those so inclined should go to Soulseek and find "Strawberry Blonde."
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 9:18 pm

romantically involved,

speaking of which.... its quite the emotional thrill ride to follow the marriage and break up of richard & linda thompson through their music (and also in their shows... she broke a bottle over his head at the roxy in LA and probably other places too)

her post- divorce solo record had a song called "telling me lies" which was all about richard.... and it was obvious to anyone who followed them... richard had been carrying on with nancy covey, who booked these fairport convention events.... very messy stuff.... all laid out in linda's solo record like a soap opera
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 9:36 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Sandy Denny and The Incredible String also band make for good chilly weather listening. I think of Sandy as solo artist since she also recorded much without FC.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 9:38 pm

You can practically smell the leaves burning when you listen to "My Name Is Carnival."

I love this song! There is something so dang eerie about it.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 9:45 pm

Kevin Ayers' Joy of A Toy and John Cale's Helen of Troy seem like good music for the weather too.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 9:59 pm

I made a mix a little while back with a lot of the slower Repacements/Westerberg stuff on it. Mostly weird bootleg/studio outtake stuff that has been passed around for years (ie. acoustic/echo demos of 'Don't Get Married', 'If Only You Were Lonely' & 'Can't Hardly Wait' , and those lo-fi, but killer, piano demos of tunes like 'Wave In Handcuffs'...).

I wanna try one of those 'signature' Paul Westerberg guitars!
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 10:25 pm

its also the season for the jangle of the old skool LA songwriters like Jackie DeShannon and Sonny Bono (sans Cher... when he was Jack Nitschze's humble servant).... you know - "When You Walk in the Room" and "Needles and Pins" and songs like that... folk pop? pop folk? whatever. great stuff
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Stephanie, Get the Dan Penn "nobody's fool" album. It's great and you will love it. Dan is the blueprint for Gram and other such country-soul artists. Well, him and Charlie Rich. Only, in my mind, he's miles above anything that came after. Regarding "don't send me no flowers", I got the original but I first became aware of it through the Gentrys version. They didn't write "so sad" either but it was my first exposure to the song. Also, I just picked up an album called Ghost Town by the 60's folk/folk-rock singer Meic Stevens. Some of it is in Welsh. Really good stuff too!
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 10:51 pm

Dan is the blueprint for Gram and other such country-soul artists

awesome! nobody's fool. got it. thank you!
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 11:49 pm

Some of it is in Welsh

what do you think of Gorky's Zygotic Mynky... speaking of welsh... anybody/everybody?
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 2:21 am

Steely Dan, AJA
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 3:08 pm

Dan is the blueprint for Gram and other such country-soul artists

awesome! nobody's fool. got it. thank you!

Stephanie, gotta 2nd this. Incredible record. "I Hate You" alone is worth it - "little drops of anger fall from my eyes. . ."

Ed, you will be happy to know that Roman stopped by with his laptop a few days ago and I made him copy the Roadmaster record, among other things.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 4:26 pm

gotta 2nd this. Incredible record.

Great! it's kinda funny, I cleaned out my wallet last night and found the receipt that the cashier had written on with the name of the Dan Penn album he said I should get which I totally had forgotten he had given me. He wrote down "Moments of this Theatre". So, i'll get both!

also, on jackson c. frank, i re-read those liner notes last night and jesus! i had remembered he was homeless, but totally forgot about the fact he was shot in the eye!
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 4:51 pm

Great! it's kinda funny, I cleaned out my wallet last night and found the receipt that the cashier had written on with the name of the Dan Penn album he said I should get which I totally had forgotten he had given me. He wrote down "Moments of this Theatre". So, i'll get both!

You might as well - that's a great one too. You gotta hear his version of "I'm Your Puppet."
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 4:54 pm

the abandoned luncheonette album (hall & oates) goes great this time of year. blue eyed soul folk rock!
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 5:44 pm

Nothing to add really, other than the fact that youse guys are making me feel a lot less awkward about being on a big folk-rock, (British or otherwise) kick. Not much call for it here in Dallas...yet!!

I've been meaning to look into this Dan Penn fellow, and thanks for all the other leads.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 5:45 pm

the abandoned luncheonette album (hall & oates) goes great this time of year. blue eyed soul folk rock!

Weird. I bought this months ago based on the album cover and haven't heard it yet. More reasons to buy a turntable.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 6:50 pm

i know it ain't "folk" per se, but i really dig on the replacements in the fall.
that and like flies on sherbert. i could listen to that all season long.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 9:15 pm

My vote is John Martyn's Solid Air LP, but I don't think it quite fits in here, but still it's what I'm jonesin for in this season.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 9:45 pm

i had remembered he was homeless, but totally forgot about the fact he was shot in the eye!
And don't forget Frank was almost burned alive in his school as a kid. He was covered with burn scars the rest of his life. Apparently, he got a big insurance settlement from that. That cash allowed him to go be a "folkie" in England and meet Sandy Denny et al.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 10:04 pm

yeah, and a son that died and eventually commited to a psych hospital, too.... and then in the 90s, to ice the cake, some Paul Simon box set came out, one of Frank's songs were on there performed by Simon (guess that's obvious) but not credited to Jackson......fucking awful!

geez, if anyone is having a hard time, all they gotta do is read his story.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 10:15 pm

oh yeah, i kept forgetting to mention this, but Bert Jansch is playing four shows in the US. The Chicago show is at The Empty Bottle.

http://www.bertjansch.com/
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 10:20 pm

Speaking of tragic demises of folk-rockers, Sandy Denny died from injuries sustained from falling down a flight of stairs. And Kirsty MacColl (sorta folk-rock at times) was killed by a speedboat when she was diving in Cozumel. Who knew it was so dangerous to sing such sensitive songs?
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 11:20 pm

Yusuf Islam has a new album out.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 2:40 pm

Gee, whatta great thread! I love the fall, too... gray and misty today, makes the emerging colors pop...

Anybody else wilt over Fairport's "What We Did On Our Holidays"? 'Meet On The Ledge' always gets me choked thinking about how much I love my friends... Richard and Linda Thompson stuff would sound real good right about now, as well... especially "Night Comes In"?

....but for ultimate smushy at the cozy hearth folkrock hasta be Jade Warrior's "Wood" on some LP on Veritgo... with that groovy hypnotic label art.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 2:45 pm

...but right now, listening to a lot of moody pop psych, stuff on the jangly-folkie end of the spectrum.... The Smoke "Wake Up Cherylina", Ill Winds "So Be On Your Way", Five Of A Kind "I Don't Want To Find Another Girl"....
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 2:53 pm

Anybody else wilt over Fairport's "What We Did On Our Holidays"? 'Meet On The Ledge' always gets me choked thinking about how much I love my friends

I like that one, and am also partial to "The Book Song" and "No Man's Land."
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 4:04 pm

It's not really folk, though certainly "autumnal-feeling", but I've just found like five versions of Farther Along. Best song ever? Sam Cookes' version is amazing, but the Burrito Brothers own that song as far as I am concerned.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 4:59 pm | Edited by: dustymedical

hey Muswell make me a mix... ed too, if you got the time...
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 5:09 pm

I really want to take notes and probably will as soon as I get over seeing this:

Good time of year to get yer Smiths on' as well.

validation!!!!

Joseph T where are you????
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 5:10 pm

Great Engerlish folk-rocker you can buy for cents is Morning's Calling by Peter & Gordon, it's the flip of Lady Godiva ... kudos, also, to The Hollies' woik on them Everly Brothers' mostly awesome Two Yanks In England LP, and the Mancs' own double-sided 45 killer, a Fabs-beating If I Needed Someone b/w the harp-wailing folk-rock of I've Got A Way Of My Own ...

Nightclub Jitters may be folk-rock, who cares? S'gert (as they say down 'ere in Bath) ... Have got my Ricky 12-string ready to go, and been scalping band members, including a bassist who was in the first line-up of Roy Loney & The Phantom Movers! Knew he was a great dude when he related a tale about seeing the New Yardbirds' (i.e. Led Zep) first US gig in SF - bored with a Page guitar wankathon, him and a pal went over the road and grabbed a burger, only to return and find Little Jimmy still going! They went home ...

That Superfine Dandelion album just re-released by Sundazed has one of THE all-time great folk-rock tunes on it, namely Don't Try To Call Me.

Right, off to see The Monks in London ...
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 5:17 pm

Right, off to see The Monks in London ...

I hate you.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 5:23 pm

. . .but call me.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 5:27 pm

Good time of year to get yer Smiths on' as well.

i love listening to the Smith's on road trips.

Penn! box-tops! well, shit! and spooner oldham has come up five or so different times in conversation and reading the past month....and it has all come together. Can't wait until my CDs come in!
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 5:54 am

That Superfine Dandelion cut is awesome. Best on the album easy.
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 6:34 am

fuk those folkies
i like the sound of tank tracks
going 8 miles an hour along
an Iragy paved road.

we also like vintage military band marches
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 2:49 pm

This just in: Fall is the season of The Monks!

When they did Oh How To Do Now, the room, uh, 'tipped up' ...
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 4:18 pm

the mailman just picked up folk rock for fiery. should be landin' in yo' hood soon, dawg.
Posted: Nov 8, 2006 8:57 am

I finally have gotten around to watch Fallen Angel. I liked it but here's a few obsevations....

-Emmylou Harris is one of the classiest and beautiful women in music ever
-Bernie Leadon is a complete dick
-The Road Manager is a kook
-Both Gram's wife and daughter are cuties
-Chris Hillman is a nice guy
Posted: Nov 8, 2006 2:04 pm

fall is the season of "ed" kickin people offa tours an rubbin their faces in it.
Posted: Nov 8, 2006 3:10 pm

-Emmylou Harris is one of the classiest and beautiful women in music ever

yeah, i love how she kept everyone in line.

another observation: gram was really was more concerned with being a rock star, wasn't he? than doing the actual work, it seems.....I don't know......dropping from the byrds to hang out with the Stones and then doing it again later to Chris Hillman with the Bros later on even after chris forgave him the 1st time around....the fact that Emmylou was brought in and then she had to kinda organize him (and everyone else).

like, you read about this stuff and it doesn't really click "yeah, he and Keith Richards are so close", but not without dropping his band.....don't get me wrong, i still love gram.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®