Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / If you were to sell out-Who would you sell out too?
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:15 am

In honor of the debate over at garagepunk.com about the Dirtbombs having a song in a WalMart commercial (or the thread over at Metal Sludge about Slash being in a VW commercial-which I haven't seen yet-which I guess is a tie-in with First Act guitars-who also have a Paul Westerberg model guitar now available at WalMart) what corporation would you sell out too?

Personally I'd go for Target cuz my wife would be happy. If they sold full line groceries we'd probaly hardly ever shop anywhere else. Either that or Jaguar cuz I don't think she's ever gonna let me buy an XJS any other way.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:19 am

High Times.

maybe Rickenbacker... if their price was right.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:21 am

Or you could just find a nice guy selling a Rick cheap...But if he's in your band he might quit with hardly an explaination.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:22 am

Is this the second time tonight I've inadvertently brought up a lost love? I feel like a total jerk.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:24 am

Yeah...What ever happen to all that Ric action y'all had.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:26 am

Kav sold it to pay for his substitute teaching habit. Now we play nickg's Samick.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:28 am

You should get one of those Paul Westerberg First Act models.

Larry Dirty played a Samick...never on stage though.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:35 am

My mom just asked me to help her shop for a wicked bad 12-string for my old man. Any ideas? Do you think Samick has any ideas?
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:40 am

Samick Hagar!
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 8:29 am

I trust you dudes aren't commenting on this just to razz me. I got a closet full of jeans and t-shirts from the Gap and have a couple of Dodge Vipers in my garage. It's not like I don't use them or anything.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 6:16 pm

Already did a commercial for Coca Cola. Maidenform is next on my list.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 8:09 pm

In N' Out Burger or the California Avocado Grower's Association or TiVo.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 8:27 pm

Posted: Oct 13, 2006 8:35 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

the California Avocado Grower's Association

Good one.
The way I feel today, I'll sell out to anyone
...for like ...a couple o' bucks.

Slash is a dickweed.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 9:15 pm

Pearson's Salted Nut Rolls...
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 9:52 pm

Quizno's
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 12:31 am

Jenny Craig or Jockey(the underwear co.) or Astroglide but, only if they endorse me with free shit for life.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 12:39 am

Jesus. Could you even sit in a volkswagen wearing a top hat.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 12:44 am

i had a client who sold out to rickenbacker... that was golden.... he would always smash up his guitar and they'd fix it for free AND he got fantastic guitars at cost...

i sold out to kodak and to aaton and don't regret it.

i would sell out to any of the following companies immediately:
la maison du chocolat
leonidas chocolats
richart chocolats
scharffen berger chocolates
volkswagen or toyota
apple computers
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 12:51 am

Mentor Magnum...
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 12:56 am

Hell. I suppose if you were going to sell out you might as well go oil the way and sing for Haliburton or Exxon or someone.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 1:27 am

Not a bad question... Who wouldn't do this for the stuff he or she really liked? If you love a particular restaurant & they wanted you to pay you out the ass for your song, why wouldn't you? If you were in construction or an architect, & you built a building & someone comes up to you years later, hey, we wanna move our business in the building & we are going to name the building after you & give you a ton of money, why not? That's your work! Is it selling out if you are thrilled with your new employer? If a baseball player disses a smaller market team for the more-money Yankees 'cause his dad's a Yankees fan & he grew up a Yankees fan, is that selling out?

I would be thrilled to take all the money I can get for endorsing any of the following products and companies:

Ford Mustang

Polk Audio (ask Shenanigan about speakers)

Tim's Cascade potato chips

Myles' Pizza

Chicago Cutlery

The Food Network

The Cartoon Network (Jim Foetus does music for Venture Bros. Sellout?)

ESPN

Yeah, I know ESPN is under ABC/Disney & Cartoon Network might fall under Time Warner. Who cares?
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 1:31 am

Williams Pinball, if they were still around and I knew how to play an instrument and had some songs that would move some product...
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 1:40 am

If a baseball player disses a smaller market team for the more-money Yankees 'cause his dad's a Yankees fan & he grew up a Yankees fan, is that selling out?

For me the qualifier of "selling out" only applies when you do something you don't want to do because of the payoff. Throwing a fight or a game; making music you aren't proud of. If what you're doing is something you'd get behind anyway then it isn't selling out to begin with.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 1:52 am

vivd video, campagnolo, whole foods, home depot, mavic, vic firth, sabian/paiste/zylgian, ampeg, jameson
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 5:27 am

Caballero Video, Huffy...
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 5:32 am

I guess, geico. They really do have the best commercials.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 6:18 am

I think people raggin' on Mick for doin' the commercial is lame. Sayin' that he sold out and all that dumb shit. Mick has never expressed any dislike for Walmart to me. Nor has he ever seemed to me to be much of a political person. So how do they know he sold out? Maybe he loves walmart! And who cares? It's his business. Literally. It's not like he's some radical pro-union spearhead. People over at garagepunk are acting like they just found out Malcolm X voted for Nixon. I will always fly Mick's flag. He has put his heart and soul into his work. Thats all that matters. I would, myself, like to see all Walmarts burned to the ground. I actually drove all the way across town one night just to watch one burn.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 7:27 am | Edited by: dale

People over at garagepunk are acting like they just found out Malcolm X voted for Nixon.

Exactly.

Most of those dorks over there don't realize they'll never have the natural cool that Mick has and they probably wouldn't let most of the Goner types sit at their table in the high school cafateria either.

I don't watch much TV (but I guess I'm not as garage punk as a lot of them are over there cuz I don't stare at the tube when I get home from work much) so I haven't even seen the commercial but would probably smile if I did thinking "No shit. A good song...Maybe some kid in BFE, Idaho will want to track down the record and get turned on to some better music" (the same way I felt when I heard the Detroit Cobras, the Clone Defects, the Sonics and even the Stones "Complicated" in TV commercials) It sure beats some fuckwads like Scott Stapp or Michael Bolton getting the same placement. What kills me about the debates like that one over there is that they want to turn each other on to what they think is cool but if it actually gets some level of popularity they flip out and whine that their private little club is getting invaded. Take a lot of the White Stripes bashers for example. You know a lot of them jizzed all over De Stijl (which is still an almost perfect album album) but will be the ones to bitch about them now if for no other reason than they're popular.

I'm not a fan of Walmart either and I don't give them any of my dough but I'm not gonna piss and moan because some one I like and respect got some money out of them.

But back to the topic-I would like to ad Sierra Nevada, Papa John's pizza and Levis to my list.

Ed,
Who would you "Sell out" to?
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 7:54 am

And almsot everything a person buys is probably made under the same circumstances. I'm sure everyone here has read the same "EVIL" stuff about Walmart and seen the same movies you have Brad. The choir knows the sermon dude.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 8:03 am

Did you vote in the last presidential election?

Those kids at Little Ceasars are making some sweet coin and benefits though huh?
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 8:11 am

I'm sure I do actually do understand more than you realize. Just cuz I haven't gone on a million times about how fucked up my life was growing up doesn't mean I don't understand. We get it Brad...you're truly punk rock.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 8:17 am

Sarcasm and playing a role like others is truly a lost art.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 9:33 am

Clone Defects
What commercial were they in?
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 11:08 am

Parts of a Clone Defects' tune were used in a Mistubishi ad.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 12:19 pm

What Dirtbombs song was in that Wal-Mart spot?
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 2:46 pm

i'm through with white girls
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 4:04 pm

i worked at little caesars.

sounds like little ceasars sold out
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 4:09 pm

Is it really I'm Through With White Girls? Like I said-I haven't seen the commercial yet. That's a Jim Diamond song. Wouldn't that mean he's actually the sell out over Mick then?
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 4:12 pm

Duncan Yo Yos
Big Lots
Dollar General Stores
Aldi
Merriam-Webster
Sealy
etc.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 4:15 pm

Is it really I'm Through With White Girls?

i totally doubt it, but i heard the dirtbombs have a song for a walmart commercial...so who knows.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 4:17 pm

coca cola
marvel comics
the zig zag rolling paper company
and some tukish pizza, i hear its #1 in holland
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 4:48 pm

I think I'd sell out to the Mexican ladies who drive in from Croswell once a week to sell enchalada's and such at our office sometimes. Maybe Vicodin too.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 6:40 pm | Edited by: Ronnie Farnsworth

I'd do a commercial for Zappateers.com.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 6:43 pm

Jake's Pizza in Green Bay, Zaffiro's Pizza in Milwaukee, Nintendo, Casa Noble tequila.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 6:45 pm

That link shoulds have taken you here.

Now I've ruined everything.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 9:43 pm | Edited by: dale

MC: No need to beat around the bush, man. They asked. They came to us and said, "We've selected this song to be in the commercial, and we're going to pay you this much money", and we said, "Uh... okay!" And you know what, I don't care. I got into music because I was in [Information Technology], and I said, if I stay in IT, it'll be okay... but I'll never know if I can make a decent record! So, I switched over to rock and roll so I could make music. And quite frankly, I'm making music to make money and meet women. I don't have any other agenda than that. I like to see my records in the stores when I go. That's like my one bit of ego boost. It doesn't have to be a huge window display. I just want to see it in the bin. It could be a store in like Lawrence, Kansas or Oslo or something. If I see my record in the bin, I'm happy! I did something. The record's going to be around forever. I could have quit. There was a point in the first 10 or so years where I could have quit and gone back to IT and been totally happy. But now I'm in it for the long haul.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 10:43 pm

That's great. As much as I have it in for the guy, I've gotta hand it to him for putting it that way.
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 12:00 am

right now, i'd probably sell out for anyone willing to give me a sinus cocktail shot and finish making my chicken soup for me.
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 12:06 am

i think its fantastic that anyone who gets into making music for the right reasons ends up stepping in shit and actually making money from their efforts.

its like robin hood...shit... i've been forced to shop at walmart (when its the only game in town) and i'm happy as hell that some of my money has gone into mick collins's pocket. i couldn't think of a more deserving musician.

anyone who has a job is "selling out" and "whoring" in a way. the transaction of accepting money for your efforts and all.... esp. if you are in a thankless job you don't like working for a company you can't really support.

all my punk rock friends called me a sell out for going to work for viacom after PBS. but walking in the door, viacom offered me more than double what i was making at PBS. i'm not an idiot - and i'm sure anyone faced with that decision would make the same no-brainer decision i did. take the fucking money. and i was able to treat all my broke punk rock friends to plenty of meals on my viacom expense account. you gotta make it work for yourself.
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 1:15 am

I love walmart, I feel so svelte there. Where else I gonna get my chorrizo and surgiwax strips?
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 1:46 am

this ones easy. Nintendo
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 3:00 am

Ladies' under garments
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 5:22 pm

the highest bidder
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 4:51 pm

who gives a shit what one band does. you oviously aren't won over you, it has resparked your hate of walmart so in a way it has helped us all. and walmart is just as bad as most of the other shit in the world so unless you walk to you work and buy all used then get over it they took the money not gave it too them. this is there living gotta pay the bills some how ya know, if walmart wants to help with that then so be it.... while they are at it they can pay my rent too, ill fucking sing for it
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 7:16 pm

I gotta say that I think Brad's got a very valid point. Apoliticism is a pro-active political stance in itself.
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Yes it is. Lucky for you it's not yours. Mick's stance is only relevant to himself.
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 4:33 pm

These days, recognizing a song by what commercial it was in is as common as knowing it by title, and that is how marketers want it. According to research by branding guru Martin Lindstrom and market research firm Millward Brown, based in Naperville, IL, sound has a 41% influence on how people perceive brands. Companies have misconceptions that music cannot achieve a business objective. There are many customer touchpoints through which "sonic branding" can occur, such as advertising, Web sites, podcasts, trade shows or even in a product.
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 4:36 pm

Posted: Oct 25, 2006 4:40 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

That's nauseating.
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 4:04 am

I think Clone Defects & In The Red got $50,000 for the ad. I've heard people say "I wouldn't sell out for a measley $50,000." The problem with that is they will take $10,000, get some studio musicians, & say "Whip us up a song just like this one." So then, it's like you get $50,000 or nothing.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®