Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Oblivians on Wikipedia chopping block
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:15 pm

Wikipedia is about to delete the Oblivians page...

It is proposed that this article be deleted, because of the following concern:

Doesn't meet Wikipedia:Notability (music) criteria

If you can address this concern by improving, copyediting, sourcing, renaming or merging the page, please edit this page and do so. You may remove this message if you improve the article, or if you otherwise object to deletion of the article for any reason. To avoid confusion, it helps to explain why you object to the deletion, either in the edit summary or on the talk page. If this template is removed, it should not be replaced.

The article may be deleted if this message remains in place for five days (This template was added: 9 October 2006).

Any Wikipedian Goners out there wanna toss in their two cents?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblivians
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:28 pm

FUCK THOSE MORONS.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:28 pm

I was jess lookin' at that last night!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:34 pm

After looking at the music criteria......I agree w/ MT!!

However, I love to Wiki.....I'm very disappointed :-(
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:37 pm

They meet these criteria:

Has gone on an international concert tour, or a national concert tour in at least one large or medium-sized country,[1] reported in notable and verifiable sources.[2]
Has released two or more albums on a major label or one of the more important indie labels (i.e. an independent label with a history of more than a few years and a roster of performers, many of which are notable).
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:41 pm

Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:42 pm

You don't matter unless you're on Wikipedia.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:50 pm | Edited by: Jasper de Wilde

i'VE NEVER SEEN A "BBRRAAYYY!!!!" ON WIKIPEDIA BEFORE. tHANKS.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:53 pm

Okay, so what info needs to get on the page to meet their criteria? Confused because aren't Crypt, Sympathy, ITR preeminent indies?

The page also needs mentions of national tours, appearances at GarageShock, where I was introduced to them, and perhaps accounts of any particualrly big shows. Also, flesh out the bios of post-O's stuff and compile a list of bands that cite them as chief influences.

But how do they define "notable and verifyable sources?"
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:53 pm

FUCK THOSE MORONS.

Bray!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:54 pm | Edited by: Donkey

b
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 4:58 pm

Jack White's ex Jack O guitar?
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 5:05 pm

I once made Eric almost spray out his beer by using the words "Oblivians", "influence", and "world-wide" in the same sentence.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 5:06 pm

That's unnecessarily modest. They all know what they did.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 5:11 pm

To annoy him further, I started talking about how he HAD to hear this one Frank Zappa song...
He called me a dork for some reason.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 5:12 pm

Jack White's ex Jack O guitar?

that part of Wikipedia's definition of notable and verifyable sources? That is a significant endorsement, but perhaps they were looking for media coverage.

But then BJ, ya gots a point... Who wants to dig up every article where jack White cites the O's influence? Any takers? ....hehe, kinda like sump pumping, innit? ;)
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 7:48 pm

To annoy him further, I started talking about how he HAD to hear this one Frank Zappa song...
He called me a dork for some reason.

What song was it?
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 7:55 pm

Jazz Discharge Party Hats
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 8:59 pm

Media coverage is important. You have to provide sources for shit on Wikipedia. Do it up, nerds.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:11 pm

Well, there's always Grunnen...
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:21 pm

Not so sure how much mainstream media coverage the Oblivians received... one of dem can answer that best, I reckon, but I think coverage of their projects AFTER they broke up is gonna be what proves their significance... as in the page in the Oct Mojo about the Mary Weiss recordings, the RS mention in an earlier issue..... any other things folks can think of?

...and BRAY ain't gonna cut it. hehe ;)
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:24 pm

there was some article a few months back in Mojo that mentioned 'em as one of thetop 3 notable 'garage' acts of the 90s or something like that....can't remember which issue, though....
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:25 pm

Donkey should have his own Wikipedia entry.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:26 pm

Well, there's always Grunnen...

good idea, but may not cut it as there's not a Wikipedia page for Grunnen Rocks. Quite possible that in W'pedia's eyes, not a notable source... infact considering it serves as a database for about every act in garage world, not enough selectivity to make Grunnen's coverage of the O's reinforce the band's significance.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:28 pm

On another note, somebody give me $6,500* to put out the Blackout show on vinyl.

*Totally made up number. Actually, somebody give me $6,500 anyway. Y'know, for kicks.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:33 pm | Edited by: banned

Grunnen Rocks is definately not a notable source by wikipedia standards. They never got written up in any zines with large distribution like MRR or Flipside or anything?
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:42 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Well, they are obviously a fraud themselves if they can't spell "verifiable".

(or was that a Goner misspelling?)
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:52 pm

Grunnen Rocks is definately not a notable source by wikipedia standards.

What I meant was who cares about Wiki when there's Grunnen?!? Didn't Dirk teach you cats anything? PARTY!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 10:00 pm

but ain't it jist a leetle bit fun to hoist that Oblivians' banner higher? ;)

but then again, appears the boys in the band might be more interested in maintaining their obscurity...
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 10:06 pm

two articles on noteworthy music sites...

Perfect Sound Forever
Trouser Press
That's a long article by TP standards.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 10:12 pm

was an oblivians interview in MRR + wipeout excerpt, too? as i remember anyways ...
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 10:15 pm

hey cool! someone figured out how to update it already.

The MMR and Wipeout stories online?
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 10:28 pm

Byron Coley's made several mentions in mainstream mags like Spin.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Posted: Oct 11, 2006 10:55 pm

Donkey should have his own Wikipedia entry.

Tevs. I think YOU'RE Donkey. I almost certain of it.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 10:58 pm

I think YOU'RE Donkey.

I am not. Unfortunately, I know who Donkey is. I say unfortunately, because I think it is/was one of the greatest Goner mysteries ever. But I will never divulge the secret. I love Donkey.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:02 pm

Also...band member info on the Wiki page not complete...

What about Eric in the AAA Memphis Legs, Sector Zero.....what else?
What about Jack in Loose Diamonds?

There's gotta be tons more....
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:04 pm

Really? You're not?

I don't wanna know, but I thought I did think I had it pegged this time -- for sure.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:06 pm

They were mentioned in "Big Takeover" which is sort of maintstream,a few years ago when Jack Rabid did a Reigning Sound/Cartwright interview, and were mentioned more than once in Mojo in the last six months. Prob. mentioned in the Arthur Lee/Love article about Love reformation, and that may be the same Mojo with Oblivians as top garage act from Memphis or the 90s or whatever, I think. Many articles on the Hives should mention them.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:08 pm

Totally not Donkey. I've mentioned it before, but one of the funniest things was when LiveFastDie and DC Snipers rolled trough Memphis on their way to SXSW. About 3:00 a.m. on a school night, in the Buccaneer back parking lot, we all stood around with our beers contemplating/divining/accusing/speculating the nature of Donkey, and its real identity. Good times.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:10 pm

Also...band member info on the Wiki page not complete...
I just learned today that it's surprisingly easy to create a new account and edit the page. Go for it, sistah!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:11 pm

Um, Hello? Is this mainstream enough for Wiki?

Also, o.k., how about $6,000. Anybody? It sounds really good....
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:15 pm

Listen, babe. You do NOT want me editing anything in any official capacity....I can't type for SHIT!!

I consistently make typographical errors...and I'm blonde too.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:18 pm

TGIF!!!

Uh, just helping.. ;)
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:19 pm

You're a helping.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:24 pm

Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:36 pm

Oh Jack, you need help putting on yer shoes, too? ;)

Why do blondes have TGIF written in their shoes?
Toes Go In First!

tee hee!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:40 pm

that makes me crack the hell up!

in 1997, at a Viacom brands executive producers convention in Paris, a bunch of my Viacom co-workers (from MTV and VH1) said to me "You like music! take us somewhere." Forget that we worked at a music channel and I was the ONE who liked music.... i took them to see the Oblivians/Country Teasers. ALL FIVE of the people i brought left after about 10 minutes.... i said to them, "you know, in 10 years, you'll all brag about having been to this gig."

so, i had the last word! hehehehehe
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 12:58 am

Sounds like a great show, although I'm guessing that none of the five have bragged about it yet. Wasn't this tour documented in an issue of Wipeout or something?
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 1:21 am

Yes it was! One of the only two I have.
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 2:08 am

its hardly surprising, seen as these so-caled Oblivians didnt even get in the charts. Nor did they even bother to TUNE UP before recording. These Oblivians sound like a bunch of chancers
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 2:27 am

perhaps someone should add a bit about Greg Cartwright's talents as a gay masseur in Manhattan.
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 5:03 am

Never mind the man behind the curtain!
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 6:31 am

why Toto! I didn't know were in Emerald City!
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 7:09 am

I think that has every band that ever had anything written about them for the all music guide...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®