Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Do you have a postman that shirks his duties???
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 12:57 am

We seem to have several postal reps who believe when it rains (which is, um, over 1/2 the year here), they either do't have to deliver mail until 4:55PM or, more typically, just not show up a couple of days a week.

Seriously.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 1:04 am

don't get Andria started on this.........
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 1:17 am

they all loaf
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 1:53 am

How much money do they make a year?
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 2:27 am

Oh and PS...no mail today. I knew when it hit 4Pm and it was still grey and raining and a Friday...ha.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 4:01 am

One summer back in New Hampshire I thought perhaps I had a lazy mailman, but it turned out that it was these bastard kids that lived a couple of doors down that were stealing the mail. Eventually they got bored with that and finally just ripped all the mailboxes off the wall.

The mailman I have now kicks ass. He's dating my roommate and I'm worried that if they ever break up my service will go down the tubes.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 4:27 am

Yeah, my mailman's on my SHIT LIST! Don't get me started either.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 5:26 am

After some bums started sleeping/drinking in our foyer, the landlord put a lock on the main door and built a little box for the mailman with their own lil key. I have noticed a new one who keeps leaving me mail for an address on the next block and he takes time to write "?" on it, as if "Who do you have living here that isn't on our mail list???"
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 6:40 am

fierydrunk wrote:
How much money do they make a year?

Way too damn much, and on my taxpayer dime at that.
Privatize the whole damn system.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 6:52 am

When I was a kid, our mailman used to stop by our apartment and get high with my mom. He used to give her empty mail sacks all the time, which we used for laundry bags for years...she probably still has them.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 8:59 am

My folk's got a fat old post-officer who could rival Bukowski in the inept department. Fucker sometimes throws the mail into the box and just sits there staring off into the distance for 5-10 minutes before he pulls up to the next house. I dig it, though...very rude when asked questions.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 6:01 pm

No, but lots 'o trouble with the garbage men. I think they make more money than the mailman too. I'm told they want tips or some such nonsense. Fuck that. Just take out my trash.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 6:54 pm

My post office seems to have a thing where they sit on anything 4th class media mail for a month out of spite instead of delivering it a day later than 1st class like everywhere else in the country. Bastards.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 8:23 pm

I discovered the likely reason for his laziness--today I received a pretty big (but very light) package. It had been shipped over a week ago---Mr. Posty just didn't wanna have to deal with walking that in the drizzle for half a block. This is something I do not get about Portland postal employees--it rains all the time!!!
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 8:34 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

don't they drive little trucks?

please don't get me started about the east nashville historic versus not historic blocks and the postal carriers preferring to have everyone move their mail into boxes at the curb.... where there is NO CURB! everyone's mailbox is on their house/front door slot
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 8:49 pm

I know better than to have my mailbox out at the curb.
I've seen "Suburbia."
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 8:53 pm

This dude that I know lived in Chicago. I don't know if anybody here can confirm this or not, but he said there were certain parts of Chicago where they wouldn't even deliver the mail 'cuz the crime rate was so bad...

Yeah--he could have putted his little truck right up in front, but we are up on a small hill and he would have had to walk up there and be outside with that box in the miserable first rainy day of the year...I know how this fucker thinks!!!! Right when I saw that box this AM (it is a gorgeous sunny fall day), I knew the drill.

Last month, when I was sitting right on the couch on the other side of my front door where my mail box is, waiting for a package, the postman came and left mail. I went out awhile later and he had left an orange pickup slip saying that I wasn't here to get the package (He never knocked or anything--this dude did NOT have the package on him) and I could come pick it up the next day. I also was given the option of signing the slip and having it redelivered. Well, a few days went by, no package. When I called the PO, they tell me, yeah, it has been waiting there for me since the first day and to come get it (!?!?!?!?).

I keep my "Smiling Voice" on and said, "Um, I'd really appreciate it if you could deliver that to me, thanks." It arrived promptly the following day. The box was the size of a shoe box.

Bill just had a great experience with a postal clerk who when he was trying to ship said, "you'll have to wait for someone else...I don't lift boxes."
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 8:59 pm

I know better than to have my mailbox out at the curb.

in the area of east nashville where i live a few months of the year, all the houses have the mailboxes as a door slot or on their gates. there really are no uniform curbs... mostly lawns slope down. people park where ever

most of the area has been designated as "historic" so that means no modern conveniences (for the postman) like curbside mailboxes. but there is one carrier whose route includes the house a friend of mine just bought in april and the carrier unilaterally decided he was no longer going to walk to the mailboxes of the houses on THAT street, that people would have to put up curbside boxes. apparently, the post office itself is only giving lip service to those residents...."sorry, perhaps you could speak to the carrier." yeah.... right.

yes, please privatize the mail. it couldn't be any worse than it is now
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 8:59 pm

He's dating my roommate and I'm worried that if they ever break up my service will go down the tubes.

An old wisdom:
Don't get your meat where you get your mail.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 9:03 pm

I have no complaints whatsoever against my mail man. Really nice older dude, and always on time, no matter the weather. He takes care of my records, too.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 9:04 pm

Privatize it!!!!

It would mean better rates and service by UPS and FedEx. I am sick of supporting these losers. They can barely staff the locations and the "service" is laughable. I love those automated service centers but you can't send out international packages...that becomes a problem.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 9:08 pm

It isn't as if I haven't had great mailmen and women (and the women I have had have tended to be these powerhouses), but overall it is such a frustrating experience. Thing is, it is so much cheaper than UPS and FedEx and they do have the greatness of Media Mail--$25 for a 70 lb box of records or books which has enabled me to move all over the USA.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 9:11 pm

please privatize the mail. it couldn't be any worse than it is now

I'm pretty sure it could be worse. My afore-mentioned garbage men work for the recently privatized disposal company. That's why they want tips. The garbage pickup was spot-on when it was a public service.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 11:40 pm

please privatize the mail.

Another ENRON waiting to happen. "Um, you haven't gotten your mail for two weeks because we had to do routine maintenance to our vehicles"...

As far as the price of mailing letters goes, what the fuck else can you buy for a meager 39 cents?
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 11:46 pm

everything needs accountability -- and its sorely lacking in private and public sectors. alas...
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 6:11 pm

Posted: Oct 8, 2006 6:14 pm

they all loaf

What does the USPS have in common with a shoe store?

They both have 5,000 black loafers!
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 6:23 pm

I don't have problems with my mailman. The clerk at my post office rules though. He's singlesgoingsteady's uncle and he always give me flyers to come see him play. I've seen him before, it's pretty good for sophisticated adult music. He plays with an old co-worker of mine who liked to get lifted. When I started mailing out my 7"s he asked about it and he sounded interested in it, so I gave him a copy.
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 7:00 pm

my mail-lady has very nice legs.
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 7:20 pm

we just got a new guy. instead of a mean black chick, we got this 1/2 asian hipster dude who looks like John Lennon's kid, and does the route in his levis and vans. it's pretty strange.
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 7:35 pm

That's where it starts. First it's levis & casual, next thing you stop getting your mail altogether. Tell Sean Lennon to get professional and put some proper fuckin' clothes on to deliver the mail.
"For God's sake man! You represent our fine and hard-working government!"
It's just like smoking pot. Next thing you know... your a junkie sellin' your ass for a fix.
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 7:46 pm

Clif Claven wouldn't stand for those kind of shenanigans.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 12:20 am

I gots no problem w/ my mailmain, firey.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 12:53 am

It seems like they switch-em-up all the time on this block. My fave is the turban-wearing Pakistani mailman. He thinks he is really funny, but he just looks really funny. The turban with the standard issue USPS short sleeved shirt, acrylic vest and shorts=Funny.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 3:32 pm

But if there's one thing I can't stand it's a duty shirker.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 4:05 pm

I get mail like every other day. I don't know if this is how the post office wants it to be or if the mailman is just lazy. I don't really care, as long as I get my shit.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 4:09 pm

Ahhh, North Portland mail service-another fine reason to not live in that part of town.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 5:37 pm

You know I think I would rather get my mail only a couple of times a week, rather than have to empty my mailbox of junk mail every day. Inevitably, that is all there is.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 6:39 pm

hey now! the killingsworth post office guys are the funniest mailmen i've ever encountered. they pretty much have a 8 hour a day improv comedy routine.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 7:24 pm

Wow. That's cool. Comedic postal carriers would make a nice break in the day.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®