Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / private press records?
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 4:55 pm

not sure exactly what this means, are they records put out by a small label or just a someone putting out a really small run?
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 4:58 pm

Vanity pressings pretty much. The band would pay for manufacture and sell themselves at shows or give away to friends or whatever. Lots of psych like that.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 5:24 pm

Little psych, little garage. Tons and tons of bad folk!
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 5:24 pm

...and gospel.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 5:31 pm

Tons and tons of bad folk!

Right! But the British will tell you otherwise. Aboutthe bad part I mean.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 6:00 pm

T'was a fair may day morn/a fair maiden I did spy/ a walking to market one day/but as I spied/a dear gayboy did pass by/and his name was Bazooka Joe-oh
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 6:55 pm

Just put two examples on ebay. The Load "Praise the Load" on Owl and Owen-B s/t on OB records. Both private press 70's rock from Columbus OH. Both will probably go for big bucks.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 10:23 pm

I just sold a load of LP's to Academy. In there was a private press folk LP. 3 girls singing harmony to acoustic guitar, bass and drums. Terrible. It goes for $350. I figured they had a better outlet for unloading it than me. Everybody I know who was aware of it via popsike was anxious to listen, only to exclaim in confusion "this sucks!?!" On the other hand, I picked up a copy of the "loving sandwich" LP last week. One side is terrible prep school glee club. The flip is great prep school garage band the Instincts. Awesome cover of the Savages' "no, no, no" and Remains "don't look back". If you do an ebay search for private press though, these type of things are outnumbered 30 to 1 by bad folk sold as "psych". It would take a lot of acid for me to find "if I had a hammer" to be psychadelic.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 10:30 pm

thanks for the info, but i still don't really get what makes them different from other records. is it just that the musicians put them out, and had control over where they went. are they the equivalent(?) of a promo.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 2:12 am | Edited by: destroyer

Wouldn't this be the like last two records my band put out? We did it ourselves and while nobody thinks we're "folk" I have heard them called "bad".
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 3:44 am

Back in the day, most records came out on known labels with at least a few releases of note on the label. These "private press" records are independent releases...that's all it means...doesn't matter what genre it is...there are also "private press" jazz records. It's a term used for independently released records up until the DIY movement of the late 70's when independent releases became common.

Technically speaking the Load record which I mentioned earlier is borderline private press because Owl had other releases. It's just the other releases are so obscure and bad no one cares about them.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 4:14 am

Hey Greg, that LP is on eBay right now. Wow, it's bad! Already up to 100 clams though.

Private press is a tricky monster. If it\'s not already known by a collector, you have to provide a sound sample that\'s decent in order to gain interest. Best to list a bunch at a time.

A lot of christian folk was privately released. For a good 2 years, it was catching some dough on eBay, but it\'s dying. You can still get 20-30 if it's sung in a lonely way by a girl with an acoustic guitar. Again, sound samples are mandatory.

There are good private psych records, I love "Neutral Spirits." It's a bunch of guys trying to sound like the Doors, but they suck at their instruments so it's totally raw, sometimes reaching Velvety heights.

Tons of great punk records are "private" because the band released it themselves, "Pay To Cum" by Bad Brains is the first that pops in my head. Loads of private Powerpop too. Private hip-hop is called \"Random Rap." Private press disco 12"ers can fetch a shitload too.

While the majority of Private Press records suck, it's a fun thing to get into and it's worth trying out if it's cheap and looks cool.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 4:25 am

Yeah, uhh...aren't "Private Press" and "self-released" pretty interchangable? If your band pays a plant to press up the records themselves, I would think it's the same thing. It's not like you can call United and be like, "yeah, my band wants a private press...40 or so copies...keep it like a secret!". You are sort of at the mercy of the pressing plant's minimum number for record pressing, which is usually in the hundreds, no?

But I get the distinction. Label vs. band, whatever.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 5:12 am

Yep, self-released and privately pressed are pretty much the same except for one thing, most privately pressed records from the 60's and early 70's were never meant to have commercial success. They were made for specific groups of people and usually no more was pressed than needed. Example, I have three albums pressed as kind of an audio year book for Central high school. I also have one for the 66-67 graduating class of East High on Poplar. Great live recording of Richard Roseborough's(big star) garage band performing a LOVE style version of "hey Joe" at a pep rally. Same for all the prep school albums of the 60's like the Ha'pennys, Invictas, Wink, Rasputin and the Monks, or Foul Dogs. Paid for (like their instruments)by wealthy parents. Once a label had several releases it was no longer a private pressing though. Then it's simply a business. In the case of a self released 45, LP or CD by a modern band, you are trying to sell it to anyone who might like it, and hopefully repress it and sell more, interest a distibutor, yada, yada. Most of these things refered to as "private press" were made for pure self-satisfaction. Not always, but a lot. Admittedly, these are mainly what I collect nowdays. The cool thing is, when you find a good one, you know you might be one of only a handful of people to ever hear it. Eric's got a cool one by a Memphis church from the 60's with a whole play about a kid who gets into drugs. Couple good fuzzed out numbers on there. Tip for ebay selling: LONER
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 6:55 am

Man, I *love* hanging out on the LONER BOARD. No one ever bothers me. I can post whatever I want...
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 7:05 am

LONER RECORDS

"IF PEOPLE HAVE HEARD IT, IT AIN'T ROCK-N-ROLL!!!!"
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 1:14 pm

"Top Drawer" by Solid Oak is a great Kentucky psych/garage private press from about '70. And here in Columbus we have the Northland Battle of the bands a private press various artists garage/psych compilation given to the winners at the 1968 Northland mall battle of the bands.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 1:35 pm

Home recorded records seem like they might be a just as slippery slope. Finally found a good one while in Alabama over the summer (a 78rpm 7" of young ladies singing a hillbilly song) and it feels like the nibble that'll keep you fishing all day...
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 3:11 pm

Another good one from Columbus is the Hillside Sampler. 14 tracks by Columbus area garage bands put out for the purpose of helping them get gigs, by the studio who cut the tracks (McKenzie Studio). Contact phone numbers are printed after the band names. "on the road again" by the Deadlys was comped onto a Garage Punk Unknowns from here. Noblemen do a good version of "under My Thumb". Shenanigan, maybe you'd like to have them play you're next birthday party? Their number is 486-5153.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 3:22 pm

Shenanigan and "ed" have aaaaall the cool records. Damn.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 3:47 pm

Unfortunately I don't OWN these records, just see them pass by and get to admire them. A lot of times I make CD burns which is cool cause I can at least listen to 'em. Hillside sampler is great. We see that occasionally.

Hey Bazooka Joe- I found out about Go Go Kitty. I think Dan Dow (my boss) had the only one known to exist. He sold it to Chuck Cleaver who put it out on Scum of the Earth, and I think from there it was booted on to other releases. Just FYI.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 3:48 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Tim said he has it. Is he lying? Do I have to bust his balls? Was it loan for the Only In America comp? They had the label scan and everything.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 3:53 pm

I wouldn't doubt that there are several copies out there. I'm sure Tim has it. It was a regular release on that label. OK so now we know potentially three copies exist.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 3:57 pm

That guy sucks.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 4:48 pm

all of the private press stuff I find is either folk, jesus, or both.

But I did find this record by Linda Shear a few weeks ago for $.50. The logo in the right corner is a lil poonanie.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 4:52 pm

That's AMAZING!!! HAHAHHAAAA!!!
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 4:55 pm

i'll take a closeup shot of it. get the duck out!
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 4:59 pm

Posted: Oct 6, 2006 5:17 pm

Party at Tony's! Imagine finding this at Salvation Army.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 5:42 pm

My copy of Hillside went from Colleen's Records to Dan to Tom(alarm clocks) to me. I traded him a copy of "Baltimore Teenbeat-a-go-go" for it. I'm on the hunt for that Shopping mall battle of the bands but it's a really tuff one to find.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 5:46 pm

Wow. Thanks for the ed-ucation. I'm glad I actually learned something today.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 6:01 pm

There are soul private press records also. A great one came through of a Columbus east side high school talent show from 1970 or so. Really cool. The DJ dudes went crazy over it. I think it was called "Talent Expo " or something like that. Also prison groups can have private press releases. I have one from the Ohio Pen of a funk jazz group called "Penitentiary Jazz". The Japanese love this record for some reason.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 6:04 pm

I have one from the Ohio Pen of a funk jazz group called "Penitentiary Jazz".

Holy shit! My frined DJ John Doe (in Vegas) has it too. He contacted one of the members and got some other songs. I think Stone's Throw is gonna reissue it. It's the last song on his latest mix CD.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 6:05 pm

I got two or three copies of a cool teen 45 by a guy called Mike Malaise on Utopia records. It was self released in the early 60's. Kinda Ricky Nelson-ish. Will Used kids trade for 'em?
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 6:15 pm

The coolest private press I ever found was from Cornell college. 1958 live Bo Diddley performance at a frat house! I have a burn of it. It is incredibly crude....hardly any singing...just raunchy out of tune guitar. Frat boys chanting "Bo Diddley"...weird...I think it's one of a kind...my boss snagged it, although I found it in a batch of shitty jazz records that came into the store.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 6:17 pm

As for the trade, probably not. Unless it has some value....I don't make those decisions...I'm a peon.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 6:29 pm

Unless it has some value

it's unknown.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 7:06 pm

I have a burn of it.

Can we work something out?
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 7:16 pm

The problem with teen is the people who collect it don't like to pay much. It's traditionally thought of as kind of low-end stuff. There's a price guide for teen stuff. Pages and pages of records that are $10 in mint shape. Makes you wonder why they even need a price guide.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 7:20 pm

Yeah, that's kinda dumb. I couldn't even get Billy M. to take one for a trade for a show ticket!
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 6:55 am

We got a private press funk/psych lp at Academy. Underground Railroad. If you're an early Funkadelic fan, holy shit. The owner's keeping it, he may reissue it.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 5:56 pm

Posted: Oct 11, 2006 7:05 pm | Edited by: destroyer

I bought a collection from an old man a few years ago. He said I couldn't pick through, it's all or nothing. $40 later I had two boxes of records. The bulk of it was crap-damaged quality christian pop and the like. Basicly .25 goodwill-type stuff. There was a live Stones record from about '64-'65 in an "Out of Their Heads" cover that I still listen to and a few old country records. A Les Paul & Mary box set of 45's that got ripped off. A whole box of different 78's I got stored, I can't play them. The coolest stuff in there was a few records that seemed to be cut on a home lathe, like an old Preston recorder or something along those lines. Some of them are hand written in Japanese (so I was told) and I've always been curious as to what's on them and what kind of player I need to hear them. Kinda neat.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 7:18 pm

you got ripped off good.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 7:28 pm

That wasn't the only thing that got ripped off. Gets me boiling to think about it...
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 7:30 pm

I'm talking about that guy that got you to give him 40 dollars for a pile of junk.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:49 pm

I caught that the second I posted. there was other stuff in there that made it worth it, some other Stones stuff, Hendrix, I guess some mainstream older rock music but I won't do anything like that again.
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 12:57 am

Posted: Oct 12, 2006 12:58 am

At least the Arnie Chuckel Show. Maybe the other record is good as well. I dunno...
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 4:19 am

Posted: Oct 11, 2006, 6:57 pm Quote Recommended...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARNIE-CHUCKEL-SHOW-AUTOGRAPH-MURRY-KELLUM-SEALED_W 0QQitemZ4720316882QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItem
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®