Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / most effective anti-depressant?
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:21 pm

???..anyone?
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:24 pm

rocknroll
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:35 pm

Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:37 pm

yea,,i hears Paxil is shit.
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:37 pm

Some peoples swear by Wellbutrin. You can't take it if you are a smoker or have a seizure disorder.
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:39 pm

whiskey.
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:43 pm

fuckin
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:47 pm

don't ever ever take zoloft!!!!
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:59 pm

Not trying to be a dick here, but that's like asking 'what's the best kind of music?' They're all going to have a different effect on different people. It all depends on your brain chemistry, so you usually have to try a few different kinds before you find which one works best for you.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 12:07 am

Wumpy's right...Asking a bunch of drug addicts what is better only means what they like. Note the drugs you have taken and the effects it has on you then talk this over with a good Dr.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 12:09 am

sleep
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 12:09 am

Ask someone from Utah. Those mormons are breakin' records for statewide anti-depressant use every year.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 12:32 am

let me know when you find out, cause i need some.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 12:49 am

pot n beerz
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 1:03 am

model glue and a bread bag
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 1:04 am

Second on ixnay on the Oloftzay.

If he has a real diagnosis of depression, it is OK to ask around what people think of the various meds. Sure, they can have different effects on different chemistries but often they have more similar effects. Most SSRI's are not much different from the next.

But yeah, ask the doctor.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 2:14 am

Hippie!
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 2:50 am

I usually shoot Amish teens. This really gets the "bad stuff" out me. Whew!
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 2:51 am

Crank
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 3:46 am

BTW, you really cannot be a heavy drinker and take an anti depressant and expect anything but bad things to happen, Best thing- little to nothing, worst thing-horrific blackouts where you act totally bizarro (and not just like usually drunk but like being drunk on tequila shots weird). So don't lie to a Dr to get anti depressants if they ask about other alcohol/chemical intake, could be bad.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:16 am

yeah, i guess saying anti-depressants is really vague. what do you need them for specifically?
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:57 am

red wine and cheese. and little bud wont hurt. trust me, i wouldn't steer you wrong.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 7:42 am

probably a Nanne Tepper and dirk diggler internet duel thread
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:17 am

cod liver oil
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:24 am

guacamole and finger sandwiches. maybe some butter cookies.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:25 am

getting laid fer sure.

Also, Wellbutrin is sometimes used to help people quit smoking. My father is prescribed to it and he smokes constantly. I don't see what the problem with smoking would be. It's related to amphetamines.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:26 am

Zoloft seemed to just flatline me. Yeah...I wasn't depressed or moodswings or anything...cuz I felt stunted all around. Hardly any emotions. A bitch if you're are trying to write something like a story or song. It made me wanna sleep more (and I sleep a lot in the winter-when my depression needle goes way in the red) so I didn't help matters. Effexor worked the best with me but I've totally off that for 6 months. Now it's Xanax when I'm on the verge of a panic attack or deep down low which is only about once a week or so. Other than that-a little bit of sweet, sweet wind and a really good beer or some red, red wine here and there....Oh yeah-and sex. That works wonders a lot at times too.

They perscribe Wellbrutin for people who wanna stop smoking I thought.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 2:59 pm

Read this. Seriously.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 3:15 pm

sleep

absolutely. unfortunately it's like fucking pulling teeth trying to get a prescription for sleeping pills from my doctor. worried i'll become addicted to them. though he has no problem prescribing absurdly over priced anit-depressants (effexor) without having diagnosed me with anything, or really having much of a clue what these things do.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 3:46 pm

Arrid extra dry works pretty good.....no wait.....I read that wrong......carry on......
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 3:53 pm

Zoloft seemed to just flatline me. Yeah...I wasn't depressed or moodswings or anything...cuz I felt stunted all around.

Ding ding ding ding! Good answer!

Right on the Wellbutrin, that is why you should not be smoking on them. Their main Rx is for battling the demon of depression. It is particularly good for people that have anxiety/PTSD dx mixed in with their general depression. I would have loved to try it out to see if it was any better than the other SSRI shit I was always prescribed, but I have a seizure disorder, so no way.

For me, exercise and sun work better than anything else.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 4:34 pm | Edited by: destroyer

no problem prescribing absurdly over priced anit-depressants (effexor) without having diagnosed me with anything, or really having much of a clue what these things do.

My journey with this drug and some others basicly boiled down to this same reason. You go in to see a doctor/psych-doc, tell them "i'm feeling depressed." and almost without asking they're shoving you out the door with a scrip for something, without having any clue what the hell it'll do. It's almost like "prize for the most sales is a new corvette" or something. Yeah, drinking on the stuff makes you crazy. Like so depressed you want to die crazy. And not just because of how the drugs intensify the alchohol, after a while the whole mix in your body makes you stuck that way every day. I quit, spent about two weeks feeling like hell coming off the shit (it has to accumulate in your system for about a month before anything happens), haven't looked back and feel better than I have in a long time.
If your actually, clinicly depressed, insist on a diagnosis by someone qualified to give one before they put you on drugs. if you're just going through a rough patch, might consider just toughing it out. Surround yourself with friends/family, try to have as much fun as you can, get laid, take a vacation & get out of town-all that kind of stuff might be a better route. It's not like those are "fun" drugs or something. And actually they can contribute to the problem. It's healthier to be a grouchy old fuck than to chemically unbalance your brain.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 4:34 pm

Ask someone from Utah. Those mormons are breakin' records for statewide anti-depressant use every year.

if everyone in Utah stopped taking their meds all the 20yr old girls would divorce their husbands and all the teenagers would commit suicide, the housewives would not clean house stop having babies and screw up their public image. the husbands would all start drinking and finally they would change the stupid drinking laws!
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 5:05 pm

They perscribe Wellbrutin for people who wanna stop smoking I thought.

yeah, but it's sold under the name Zyban but it's the same stuff

i took wellbutrin xl 300mg for depression for a year. it worked and made me cut back from over a pack a day to 4 cigs a day! BUT - i'd blackout after a few drinks and it made me really agressive/mean AND when i brushed my hair i started noticing i was losing way more than usual.

fiery is right on with the exercise/sun. i would try that before taking any of these bullshit pills
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 5:17 pm

SEX!

and lots of it. It increases the amount of seratonin in your brain, that makes you happy.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 5:19 pm

I would agree that people tend to rely on these pills way too much and I am not just saying that under the guise of my profession, but from every situation I know of. I am not even sure everyone that gets prescribed these pills is truly "depressed"!

At Kaiser, the HMO I went to for years out here, they have a great system. If you come to your PCP and tell them you are depressed, they do this depression battery with you and then, before prescribing you a thing (unless you are so depressed it is obvious you gots to get on meds that day or you are threatening to kill yourself and it is off to the psych ward you go), you have to go see a Cognitive Behavioral therapist who meets with you briefly (1-5 visits) to work on a short-term plan to improve your reactions to negative thoughts and to try other more physical relaxtion exercises. Trust me, if you really care about doing it, it can work.

It is harder work than just taking a pill, but in the long run a lot of people can do things to rid themselves of depression by simply changing the way they react to old patterns of thinking. Add to this breathing exercises (I was skeptical, but this can work too), exercise, yoga or just being outside in the sun. If this still doesn't work, then consider getting on the meds.

Just a thought. It worked for me. Call me a fucking hippie, but those meds are bullshit.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:01 pm

I agree that meds are bullshit. I'm with the Scientologists on that one. I believe it is a very effective form of social control. The mental health industry in general should be targeted for purges when the revolution comes.

I've found that the best thing for my depression was changing my life. I'd been pretty fuckin' miserable since the age of six or seven till about six months ago with brief breaks when I'd start screwing a girl regularly. Being overseas also helped with it alot. Basically, what I've found really helps is to surround yourself with positive relationships. It's not as easy as it sounds and sometimes it seems you have to prove yourself to people for them to treat you right. Actually doing something with your life that makes you feel good is a huge help. Ever since I kicked hard drugs, pulled myself out of the drug trade completely, worked real hard to save up money and put out a record I've been a completely different person. I've been known for years as a belligerant prick. One I started feeling satisfied with my life and the direction it's taking people have been alot more welcoming to me. It's really fuckin' mindblowing how fast my life turned around.

I don't regret taking my time getting to this point though, because like alot of people I got off on those dark times. I can't say that I didn't somehow get off on spending six months alone in a basement with a needle full of bad homemade crank in my arm and Swans pummeling me with sheets of sound. I do everything i can to keep from ending up back there though. Being happy is actually alot more fun than I ever would have imagined.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:02 pm

absolutely. unfortunately it's like fucking pulling teeth trying to get a prescription for sleeping pills from my doctor. worried i'll become addicted to them. though he has no problem prescribing absurdly over priced anit-depressants (effexor) without having diagnosed me with anything, or really having much of a clue what these things do.

Yeah, Doctor's are always weird about prescribing sleeping pills for some reason. Or if they do, they give you a month's worth. That's great until day 29 or so, then you realize you ran out. Then you can't sleep for the week or so you are waiting to get in to get more.

It's weird to me that people get sent home with Zoloft, et. cet. when I practically have to beg just for a pill that will help me SLEEP. For God's sake.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:09 pm

I believe it is a very effective form of social control. The mental health industry in general should be targeted for purges when the revolution comes.

Try targeting the health insurance industry and the pharmaceutical companies before the "mental health profession"--those two have shaped what we have now (i.e. health insurance reducing # of therapy sessions down to like 10 a year IF covered at all for MH and the pharm companies pimping these antidepressants like their bottom bitch).
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:14 pm

Basically, what I've found really helps is to surround yourself with positive relationships.

I'd kind of agree with that but add the phrase "with other like-minded, negative people" in there. Sometimes being around people who aren't unhappy can make shit worse when you are unhappy. I dated a really positive, upbeat hippie girl all last year. She and all of her friends were the same way. Being around people like that almost every day can make you even more fucked up via the stark contrast they present to your everyday perceptions of the world. Eventually I just stopped going over there as much because it was becoming a nightmare; we broke up shortly after I decided to pull away from that crowd.

Misery loves company; find some like-minded neurotic fuckers to hang out with if you're going through a rough spot. Happy people won't help-you'll get the 25 cent "just cheer up!" line. Having a depressed female friend to listen to you can help, too.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:17 pm

something that just chills you the fuck out..and stops anxiety..Efexxor worked for a long time then my body got used to it..and quit working...I think im goin for the Wellbutrin.Yummy.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:35 pm

RJ: Yeah, you're right, I just take it for granted that people around here are gonna be hanging out with weirdos anyway.

The point is though, for years I hung out with a group of people, we were are all outcast from the outcasts. And we were angry, hateful people and didn't care much for each other either, but we had nobody else. Because of that, there'd be people fucking each others girlfriends, stealing from each other, getting in fist fights, quitting bands. We were all a family and I still love those guys, we all share the same mark on our chest because they are such an important part of my life... BUT, there comes a time I think when even though you care about someone(s) that you gotta start thinking about your own best interests and find more positive relationships.

One of my best friends, I love the guy, he literally is family, but, we were bad for each other. We bring out the worst in each other. We drug each other deeper into seriously antisocial behavior. Like, breaking into coke dealers houses with a loaded shotgun while he was home type of horrible. Seriously. Eventually I knew we'd both end up dead or in prison soon, so I broke off from him. Shortly after that, he did get in alot of trouble, like prison trouble. However, he's dealing with that, and apart from that, he seems to be doing very good now from what I hear from my family and I'm happy for him. I wish I could hang with the guy, but there is just too much going on there. It'd take me a book to explain it, but if you've got any smarts in you whatsoever it shouldn't be hard to figure out who is a positive and who is a negative influence in yer life.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 7:56 pm

ever taken Adavan..?
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 7:56 pm

or Ativan....
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 7:58 pm

Ativan will take that anxiety away PRONTO. You won't remember half of your life, but you'll feel fucking great. It is completely addictive and I know of no one who gets a maintenance rx for this stuff.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 8:31 pm

I just got some Ativan. It's not bad.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 8:33 pm

I've found that the best thing for my depression was changing my life.

Exactly, that worked for your depression. It's funny when people think their one personal story negates decades of scientific research. I 100% agree that these medications are given out way too often, when they probably aren't needed, but I think most of those people eventually stop taking them once they get over their really bad spell, and then they're fine. It's the people who have clinical depression, i.e. a serotonin deficiency in their brain due to genetics, that these meds are very beneficial to.
As far as them being a form of social control, that's a bunch of conspiracy theory bullshit. When I'm off my meds, all I wanna do is sit on my couch and do nothing. When I'm on them I'm out raising hell like I've been doing since before I got seriously depressed.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 8:41 pm | Edited by: banned

You know what I think is funny, that everyone and their fuckin' brother believes they're clinically depressed when what the only problem they really have is that they're pussies. Buck up kiddo, get over it.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 8:55 pm

Hahahahaha, I just realized you're the obnoxious Pink Reason guy. Nevermind. The people who are the most outspokenly against psychosomatic medication are always the ones who seem to need it the most.
I like how you act so big and tough on here, but in person you act like an overgrown 8 year old. At least an 8 year old has an excuse for being annoying though.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:00 pm

It's the people who have clinical depression, i.e. a serotonin deficiency in their brain due to genetics, that these meds are very beneficial to.

Agreed. I think the main problem lies in the overprescribing when there is no evidence someone has serotonin imbalance or deficiency or even a history of repeated depressive episodes...docs just prescribe immediately.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:03 pm

Do you realize you ask people a question, and then ask them the same question 2 minutes later, and then ask them the EXACT same question 2 minutes later, and sometimes this goes on 4 or 5 times within a short conversation?? What's up with that?? It took me about 30 seconds of talking to you at Gonerfest before I realized you were going to be the annoying guy to avoid all weekend.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:06 pm

Dat ain't me Wumpy!!!!

(I'd be the drunk girl falling down everywhere, not neccessarily annoying, but I'd never argue this shit in real life longer than 10 minutes max)
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:11 pm

Lots and lots of excercise and a really good fuckin'!
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:17 pm

Haha no not you fiery, and no I'd never argue this shit in real life for more than a very short time either...especially not with a looney tune like banned.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:29 pm

Oh yeah? I wasn't aware I did that. Nobody's ever told me that before, although I know I repeat myself alot story wise. When/where did we talk?
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 8:36 pm

Hearing my songs on the radio, grammys, being a question on Jeapordy and doing bit parts in movies have all worked
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 8:52 pm

A cocktail of Lexapro and Risperdal. Lexapro keeps you buzzing through the day, and Risperdal knocks you out instantly at night. Take enough Lexapro and your tongue feels numb. Side effects include erased dreams and in some cases, mine included, lactation.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 8:56 pm

a really good fuckin'!
I'll second that!
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 9:33 pm

listen to my music.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®