Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Yankees vs Tigers....
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 8:01 pm

.. Game 1 tonight!!!

Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 8:39 pm | Edited by: Deaaaath

Melky is gone...
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 8:43 pm | Edited by: johnny guitar

go yankees? what are you, a communist?
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 8:43 pm

GO TIGERS!
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:17 pm

yuck the fankee's.
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:28 pm

Screw both of 'em! A's win! A's win!
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 4:35 am

Yankees 8/ Tigers 4. woohoo!!!!
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:52 pm

Yankees 8/ Tigers 4. woohoo!!!!

Thanks for winning the game for them.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:55 pm

Yankees?!?!??!

I am still confused, jerryd. Really, now.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:07 pm

Been a fan since childhood. I know it's very uncool to like them, but what can you do if it's your childhood team.

Not a fan of N.L. teams.

And I may be one of the few people from the south to not be a Cardinals fan, although for my girlfriends birthday I took her to St. Louis last month for a Cardinals game,( she's a big fan) and loved the new stadium and had a great time seeing A. Pujols hit back to back to back home runs.

Still didn't compare to seeing Gary Sheffield hit a grand slam last year in Baltimore.

But anyway, New York in 4
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:14 pm

You can't help it then.

You are excused.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:19 pm

Can we all agree that the Braves are the worst thing to ever happen to baseball?
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:19 pm

Si senor.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:58 pm

I'm not even an American League guy, but fuck the Yankees! Just the fact that anything less than the World Series is a dissappointment for those fuckers is reason enough to root against them.

I'm a huge Cardinals fan and last years World Series just demoralized me. The Cards didn't hold a lead at any point during the Series. I didn't watch one game this season other than flipping through channels and watching an inning or two.

I am going to watch the playoffs this year, but I don't know if my mental well being can take another post-season Cardinals collapse. If they lose again, I think the people of St. Louis should call for LaRussa's head on a stake.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 10:02 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

Can we all agree that the Braves are the worst thing to ever happen to baseball?
Except for the Yankees, of course.

A's won again today! Game 3 is in Oakland. Get out the brooms!
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 10:22 pm

where's diggler when we need him?

Mets Rule!!!
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 11:18 pm

First off, I'm happy the A's are winning. World series calibur team? No way. Not when they face the Yankees in the ALCS. There's just too much power in that line up. They can kill you at any spot in the batting order( yeah, A rod is stinking, but I have a feeling he'll snap out of it tonight)

And I don't expect the twins to just roll over and die, although that has to kill your moral to lose the first two- at home, no less. To give up one, o.k. But both games?
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 11:26 pm

World series calibur team? No way.
The A's aren't even a playoff caliber team, but they somehow find a way to win when they need to. I wouldn't count them out. The Yankees could get cocky and blow the whole thing.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 12:49 am

as a lifelong tiger fan, i can't help but hate the pinstripes. i do think my disgust is more of an indictment of major league baseball though. the lack of profit sharing and salary restrictions creates an uneven playing field. the small market teams basically serve as a farm system for the big dogs. its discouraging to think that zito will, more than likely be a yankee next year. ryan howard two years from now.

the good thing about the yanks is, at least it gives you someone to hate. it doesn't matter who they play. you end up becoming a fan of that team. i'm no red sox fan but i was whenever they played the yanks. unfortunatly, i don't see anyone beating them this year. nobody has the pitching staff to keep the their lineup in check. perhaps the twins could have if liriano and radke had been healthy.

anyway. fuck the yankees. go tigers.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 1:47 am

Rain delay fun with Hollis Brown! Just pouring through the High Life!!!!
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 1:55 am

Yanks rule.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 2:20 am

Yanks rule.

no-no-no-no na-na-na no you didn't!

go mets, you gays! I'm hoping for another subway series, mets go all the way.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 4:39 am

DTRAIN RULES!!!

.... And you know what's gay?

"Mr. fuckin Met.... that's what.

And supporting the red sox when they play the yankees, just because you feel they have an unfair advantage makes no sense. You're talking about a team who comes in a not so distant second in yearly payroll. Small market teams can fly under the radar and into the playoffs just as easily as the larger teams.

Oakland, Minnesota, San Diego, Detroit, St Louis are all out of the top ten payrolls and still managed to get into the playoffs.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 5:22 am | Edited by: Shawn Carpetbagger

Oakland, Minnesota, San Diego, Detroit, St Louis are all out of the top ten payrolls and still managed to get into the playoffs.
Yeah, MoneyBall! It's all about Bill James & sabermetrics! I just upped the baseball nerd ante! It's all about Win Shares, mother fuckers!

Here's to Pujols leading the Cards back to the World Series!
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 4:33 pm

And supporting the red sox when they play the yankees, just because you feel they have an unfair advantage makes no sense. You're talking about a team who comes in a not so distant second in yearly payroll. Small market teams can fly under the radar and into the playoffs just as easily as the larger teams.

two words why i support the sox over your yanks. a rod.

i don't even like boston. i routinely root against them. to me, the yankees are like notre dame or duke. i simply find joy in watching them lose.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 4:43 pm

.... And you know what's gay?

"Mr. fuckin Met.... that's what.

Up yours, gaytrain. METS are best!!
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 5:09 pm

i encourage everyone to listen to the yankees vs. mets thing from the scharpling show, recorded during the last subway series in 2000. possibly the most believable act that's ever been on the show. and somewhat of an excruciating listen.

http://www.wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=82
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 5:16 pm

I grew up an Orioles fan and I hate the fucking yankees, end of story. anyone who's a fan of an AL East team besides the yankees hates the yankees. rooting for the red sox isn't because I like the red sox, it's because I hate the yankees. I hate their legions of frat boy asshole fans, I hate their asshole players (except mike mussina), I could go on and on. fuck the yankees.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 5:19 pm

That is what Yankee fans (or Duke fans, or UCLA fans or Notre Dame fans) cannot understand...why people just LOVE seeing them go down. They get so perplexed!

It is about money, arrogance and a long, ugly history of those things wrapped up and delivered with a huge smirk consistently. If you are a fan of those teams, you can ignore that part for whatever reason you have (hometown team, your parents went there, you like white guys playing hoops), but please understand it isn't easy for the rest of us to sit around and watch teams with privilege and a huge pocketbook eat other teams up year after year.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 7:30 pm

What's in Jeter's mouth? A Rod.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 9:27 pm

what did A-rod say to Jeter? Yank me.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 9:28 pm

oh yeah
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 9:45 pm

fuck..a loss...yankees dont take kindly to losin
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 11:15 pm

Tigers 4/ Yankees 3..... I'm officially in a bad mood.

Now I have to go take my frustration out on the cat.

Poor, poor cat.
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 12:38 am

I still want a Tigers/Mets series.

Listening to the game today on the radio in my car, probably wasn't casually fucking yelling at the top of my lungs when Lil Curtis stroked that triple. Zumaya had that shit on lock, 103 mph with extra action on it.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 12:06 am

The Swingin' A's sweep the Twins!! They cannot be stopped!
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 12:29 am

Fuck the Twins. They beat themselves...
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 12:34 am | Edited by: hollis brown

nice series by the A's. disappointed that the twins played so poorly. seemed to forget what got them there. the pitching situation didn't help either. hopefully my tigers can pull off the upset and hugh and i can place a friendly wager on the ALCS. congrats!

have a bad feeling about kenny "the roaster" rogers tonight. guys been getting lit up lately as well as his whole playoff career. hoping ratny johnson back locks up in the second inning. bring in little and we might just get a few runs. go tigers!
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 12:48 am

L'shana tova!!!!!!!!! The Twins' egregious performance was my belated New Year's Gift to you...
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 1:07 am

The Twins' egregious performance was my belated New Year's Gift to you...
You're a real mensch for the kind words, but now that E. Chavez is getting hot again, the A's will have to play like real shmegegges not to make it to the Series. If they win this year, they may actually get a decent stadium built in Oakland. If they blow it, they'll be gone within the decade.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 5:42 am

If they win this year, they may actually get a decent stadium built in Oakland. If they blow it, they'll be gone within the decade.

thought i heard that oakland already had a stadium deal all set up. heard it was to open in 2010. is this not a done deal?

anyway, the roaster proved me wrong tonight. what a dominating performance from the old guy. had the whole yankee lineup completely flumoxed.

bonderman/wright should be an interesting matchup tommorow. i'm a pessamist so i see the yankees lighting up my tigers tommorow. gotta think if it goes to a game five that leyland would go with verlander.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 5:54 pm

This has been one of the better second halfs for Rogers I can remember. Bonderman generally has really, really good games or just miserable outings, so I'm curious as to what Leyland will do if he comes out looking bad. I have to think he might be willing to do something drastic in hopes of not having to play a game 5 in NY.

Last night while wearing a Tigers shirt I had several people, including a White Sox fan, come up to me and express delight at the results of Game 3. Lots of folks who like me were in junior high the last time the Tigers were in the playoffs. And nobody could believe the Twins getting thrashed so handily.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 6:22 pm

thought i heard that oakland already had a stadium deal all set up. heard it was to open in 2010. is this not a done deal?

All the proposed stadium deals of the past few years have failed. The city is still pretty pissed about the way the Raiders took them to the cleaners after they spent kazillions to get them to move back to Oakland. This city isn't really a big baseball town. Most of the fans are from the 'burbs. In fact, if the A's win the Series, I betcha there won't even be a riot in the ghetto- which is a given whenever the Raiders even make it to the playoffs.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 9:47 pm | Edited by: mikesniper

I\'m a Yankees fan too. Grew up in North Jersey, can't help it. When I was a kid they were struggling, Scott Sanderson was their ace. After Mattingly fucked up his back, you would just watch to see if Roberto Kelly could hit .300.

To chime in on the "Why don't you like the Mets instead?" argument, I don't dislike the Mets, but they're kinda novelty. All that Neon at Shea, and in the 80's they were the "cool" team, with Strawberry and Gooden, they were flashy.

I think it's best summed up at the last Subway Series, from the perspective of a Met fan at Game 4 at Shea, 1st at bat:

"There was this retarded opening celebration with these people in dog costumes that ran out to \"Who Let the Dogs Out." Jeter was the first at-bat and he was watching this from the batter\'s circle with a grimace on his face like he was seeing the stupidest thing in the world. Then he walked up to the plate, 1st pitch, and hit a home run."

That\'s Shea Statium.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 10:50 pm

In the immortal words of Flounder (ohpleasedonnotletmejinxit):

"Oh boy is this GREAT!!!!"
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 11:18 pm

see now thats my childhood team when we lived in south carolina. we'd go to games at fulton county stadium and they flat out sucked. when we moved to ark i started follwing the cards but havent been able to give up on the braves. andruw jones is the smilingist dude in baseball. ya gotta love that.

i'm afraid the mets are gonna tear up the cards when the time arrives.
Posted: Oct 7, 2006 11:35 pm

They sure are playing like the Sanderson/Kelly era today.

If it has to be anybody, I'm glad it's the Tigers.
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 12:30 am

cmon tigs!
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 12:57 am

cmon tigs!

Yeah, I hate the Yankesss.
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 12:59 am

The celebratory song at Comamerica in the 8th inning was "Centerfold". Who picks these tunes????
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 1:15 am

J. Geils?...
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 1:25 am

Yeah, but if he was picking them, he wouldn't let Kool & the Gang get the primo spot everytime.
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 2:01 am | Edited by: dale

I've wondered who picks the songs too. Whoever it is obviously doesn't have a Kid Rock or Seger CD. Or maybe they're saving that for later.

Heh...Yankees OUT! A lot of people are laughing and throwing partys right now in Michigan.
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 2:23 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Whoever it is obviously doesn't have a Kid Rock or Seger CD

You got that straight! How hard would it be to pop "Old Time Rock n Roll" in to celebrate?
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 3:04 am

They'd probably play something of his new CD (which I think not even the classic rock station is playing) as some type of marketing/cross promotional agreement. Or maybe they'd play "Shakedown."

Ehh...I'm surprised they haven't whipped out an Eminem song..after all-Everybody likes him, don't they?
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 5:04 am | Edited by: Useless Eater

last time I was at Tiger Stadium II a few years back they were trailing, night game, and for the 7th inning rally they played "Crazy Train" and right when the guitar kicks in the huge Tiger statues on the scoreboard "Rarrr'd" and their eyes lit up like the heshers in the crowd. Man, motherfuck a ferris wheel, you go to a game to watch the team win or hopefully some Gross Point Stank catch a foul ball in his grilli.

Mike, I remember the 90's too. Steve Balboni, Mel Hall, Cecil Fielder, that one hurt the most. Then the taters were mashed.

I loved all of the analysis of the last 3 Tigers/Yankees games. "The Yankees just aren't hitting." the first game they were hitting pretty good, oh yeah, against the Tigers #5 guy Robertson while the Yankees had their #1 guy Wang.
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 5:39 am

I loved all of the analysis of the last 3 Tigers/Yankees games. "The Yankees just aren't hitting." the first game they were hitting pretty good, oh yeah, against the Tigers #5 guy Robertson while the Yankees had their #1 guy Wang.

pretty brilliant move by leyland. he knew that would be the most difficult game to win so he went with robertson. that left our best arms pitching in the biggest games.

gotta say i was shocked by both rogers and bonderman. those were easily the best games i've seen each of them throw all year. they had the yankees completely lost. they were swinging at everything. what a fuckin joy to see sheffield and rodriguez flail away.
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 5:57 pm

That Kenny Rogers game was badass. It was awesome seeing him so pumped up.

"Best lineup in baseball" didn't score for like 22 straight innings. Fuck yeah.oh yeah, against the Tigers #5 guy Robertson while the Yankees had their #1 guy Wang.

pretty brilliant move by leyland. he knew that would be the most difficult game to win so he went with robertson. that left our best arms pitching in the biggest games.

Was it that much of a thought out move by Leyland, or was he using the best arms to try to clinch the division at the end of the series?
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 12:48 am

Please god, don't let the METS win anything anymore. Last night was painfull enough. Orange and blue are the worst color combinations ever. And there fans are just gross. ugh....the Mets.......yuk!
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 3:14 am

woo!

Posted: Oct 9, 2006 5:37 am

I grew up loving the Mets. I keep having sexy dreams of Mookie Wilson.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 6:09 pm

i was thinkin the same shit when the tigers got swept by the fuggin royals..." hmmm is Leyland saving his best arms for the playoff games..?" if so good..it paid off. Tigers SHOULD have no problem with Oakland. Tigers over Oakland in 6 games.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 7:13 pm

Was it that much of a thought out move by Leyland, or was he using the best arms to try to clinch the division at the end of the series?

perhaps your right. and perhaps it was hyperbole on my part but it's been almost 20 years since this kind of tiger success so cut me a little slack.

i have always thought it common for a manager to roll out his ace for game one. the thing with robertson is that he has the stuff to beat anyone. he's probobly been more consistent all year that bonderman, verlander or rogers.

looks like leyland's going with robertson again in game one. rogers 2nd, verlander third and bonderman 4th.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 9:16 pm

No matter what the reasoning behind the rotation in the DS, you certainly can't argue with the results. That Bonderman game was so badass, I still can't get over the 40 pitches through 5 innings thing.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 9:38 pm

So I was stranded out in the woods of Mississippi this weekend, fishing and camping and having just a good old time. I didn't get to see Saturdays game because, like I said, I was in the woods. So when we go to town for fishing lures and dinner, ESPN is on the tube and that's when the night went bad.

Tigers are moving on to the ALCS. The Yankees blew it!!! They choked! Pretty simple. I really have nothing further to say about this. Good luck to Detroit.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 9:40 pm

Good luck to Detroit.

If only more Yankees fans had the class to say that.
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 3:42 pm

tigers vs. padres
afterparty at the deja vu
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:02 pm

My predictions--
A's over Tigers in 7. The A's are a consistent machine that Moneyball built while the Tigers are like a menopausal woman.

Why is everyone picking the Mets to take this series? The Mets starting pitching is bruised & battered which was their only trump card on St. Louis. I think what it comes down to sportswriters' New York bias. Cards over Mets in 7.

As far as the World Series goes, Cards over A's in 7. Not because they are the better team but because they are due! It's been 24 fucking years since they last won the World Series! Really, the Cardinals need to win this for my own mental well-being.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®