Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / This old rock-a-billy cat I work with...
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 4:43 pm

I've worked with him on and off since 96. He's pretty much the only person here I can relate to; 60-something, miserable, gave up on life long ago. But he used to play piano in a lot of old rock-a-billy bands, most notably Jimmy & Alton. He was a really young-un to be running around with most of those cats. But he has all these great stories about the old days, playing shows, getting to hang out at Jerry Lee's house. Jackson MS actually had a scene, record labels (Ace Records). Anyway... he's totally convinced that good music died a long time ago and that nobody under the age of 55 really gives a shit. For the most part he's probably right.

I really want make him a cd of newer rock-n-roll-a-billy-ish stuff that doesn't suck. He'd get a kick out of that. I'm not really "into" the rock-a-billy scene, most of the bands I've seen really suck... the only good stuff that comes to mind is Chris Scruggs, Pinehill Haints, maybe a couple other. Anybody got any other suggestions?
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 4:46 pm

I really liked the Legendary Shack Shakers when I saw them.

PS. can you send me an application for any open positions?
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Sounds like a good friend to have...I love those types of guys...problem is they die a couple years after you meet them...
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 4:50 pm

He may dig King Khan and BBQ too. I would at least try.

But better yet, does Social D have a greatest hits?!
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 4:53 pm

I've been sifting through MySpace band pages. I think the big problem with all these retro rockabilly fucks is they try WAY TOO HARD to live out this stereotypical sound/style. It just comes off sounding way to contrived to ever be listenable.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 4:54 pm

King Khan and BBQ
yeah I'm probably going to put a couple of their less-wierd songs on there.

Social D
Those guys suck. I'd never.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 4:58 pm

Social D

I'm actually just working on a new posting style. Serious response- space- light-hearted comedy. I'm still working on it...

But the modern rockabilly scene reminds me of Deadheads or something- dressing in that style and feeling like they have to listen to that style of music even if it's crap (like the deadheads have to listen to every crappy jam band).

I've been sifting through MySpace band pages. I think the big problem with all these retro rockabilly fucks is they try WAY TOO HARD to live out this stereotypical sound/style. It just comes off sounding way to contrived to ever be listenable.

Not this topic again...

Her'es your answer...

THE A-BONES!
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 4:59 pm

I would try Big Sandy and the Flyright trio. Those kinda cats only like ultra conservative stuff...no Cramps or Tav Falco...too bad...
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:01 pm

Kim Lenz & Her Jaguars. Pretty tame, but I like her.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:08 pm

What about Candy Cayne (or however she spells it)? She rips it up live, I don't actually have any of her recordings, though...
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:28 pm

Try some Flat Duo Jets...maybe 'Red Tango'?

Unlike a lot of newish Rock-a-Billy stuff, at least Dex can sing.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:41 pm

Social D

i don't listen to them that often, maybe once a year i'll give the record a spin, but i think they're pretty solid. sure they dressed like fools and you won't get any hipster points for liking em but damn if they're songs don't get in your head from time to time.

that said, i wouldn't recommend recommending them, which means maybe its just nostalgia for me. either way, i'm not gonna hate on Social D.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:45 pm

oh, and mike ness solo sucks
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:54 pm

Those kinda cats only like ultra conservative stuff

Yeah... no shit. I'm not putting any distored guitar psychobilly stuff on this. It's kinda hard to find new traditional stuff that also happens to be good. He also likes a lot of old country... I'll probably dig in to that too.

PS. can you send me an application for any open positions?
Sure dude... here ya go.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:58 pm

Sure dude... here ya go.

Thanks man! That sounds like just what I'm looking for!
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:09 pm

Maybe mix in some older stuff he might not have heard already, like say Johnny Buckett or Mack Banks? Banks was also from Mississippi, so maybe your co-worker knew him. Nowadays Banks sells cassettes to truck stops all over that area -- the cases have "MEB Music" on 'em.

In any case, if you don't have 'em already, you could get some of tracks by Buckett and Banks (and that of plenty of others) from http://thehound.net/
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:18 pm

He also likes a lot of old country... I'll probably dig in to that too.

If you want to go with any new country (that's not the pop-radio crap) then see if he likes Charle Robison or Dale Watson.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:21 pm

You should just push the old fuck down some stairs and forget about him.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:22 pm

any new country

shameless promotion...
check out anna kramer www.robshouserecords.com/002.htm
check out herb harris www.robshouserecords.com/011.htm

add dem mp3s.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:23 pm

Flat Duo Jets for sure.

Maybe an old Blasters classic?
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:25 pm

You should just push the old fuck down some stairs and forget about him.

Yeah... you read my mind. I gave this project up hours ago.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:30 pm

I saw Jack Knife and the Sharps a ways back and I thought they were okay...
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:32 pm

NEKROMANTICS
TIGER ARMY
HORRORPOPS
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:39 pm

Twoheaded woman- Dm Bob & the Deficits
King slut- Bloodshot Bill
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 7:57 pm

Posted: Sep 21, 2006 8:01 pm

The Meteors.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 8:24 pm

Yeah... I'm sure he'll LOVE Nekromantix! I'll put some Slayer on there too.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 8:49 pm

FLAT DUO JETS!
Anything before their major label debut, "Lucky Eye" (which I like anyway) is sure to put a smile on an old rockabilly cowboy.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 8:51 pm

...and tell him how Dex Romweber can change a string while still playing the song if he isn't impressed by the sound alone.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 10:06 pm

Don't forget Deke Dickerson either.
Anyone mention "Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite Boys"?
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 10:13 pm

if you try an insult this loser w/ bad modern rockabilly hopefully he'll make you eat your teeth or at the very least punch you in the throat.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 10:20 pm

Despite my hatred for jacket patches on current greaser fucks, I actually really like the Paladins and think they put on a great live show and Dave Gonzales is great. But fuck it, I don't endorse anyone.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 10:23 pm

And, if you want more ammunition to give me shit, I like Wayne The Train for that swing/jump blues thing. Put that on there.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 10:25 pm

He might dig Ronnie Dawson.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 10:48 pm

FLAT DUO JETS!
Anything before their major label debut, "Lucky Eye" (which I like anyway) is sure to put a smile on an old rockabilly cowboy.

This doesn't work. I've tried with some ol' cranky fuck I used to cross paths with. Old people don't like this band-it's far too contemporary sounding, they don't understand the rhythms or production value.... old people don't like anything. That's why they just need to be pushed down the stairs.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:36 am

leningrad cowboys
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 4:08 am

Sigue Sigue Sputnik. They really capture the fabulous fifties.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 6:08 am

What do old people and slinky's have in common?

They're only fun when you push them down the stairs.

I think Richard Widmark told me that one.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 6:56 am

Give him a Seatsniffers CD, one of Europe's finest roots combos (Belgian in fact, you better believe it!!). These guys put on terrific shows, something like Deke Dickerson w/ a lot of honkin' 50's R&B! Tomorrow they will be backing up Wanda Jackson. These guys are HOT & your old rock-a-billy cat will be FLABBERGASTED!!!

www.seatsniffers.be/

[url=www.seatsniffers.be/][/url]

what the fuck?!! google SEATSNIFFERS!!!
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Alright... I'm finished. I wasnt gonna make this comp my lifes work... just wanted something to pass on, see what he thought. Anyway... I finished yesterday before leaving work. I made a copy for myself... actually really really good... but damn if I didnt have to sift though some really horrible shit to make this:

1) Chris Scruggs Love Love Love
2) Miss Lauren Marie 2 Drops of Water
3) Moonshine Mason Going Down Swinging
4) Big Sandy & Flyrite Boys- I Cant Believe
5) Marshall Scott Warner- 100,000 Women
6) Dawn Shipley- Empty Stretch of Highway
7) Hank III Thrown Out of the Bar
8) Chad Thomas & Crazy Kings-Need You
9) Pinehill Haints-Wiskey Broke My Fall
10) Caroline Casey-Don't Start Counting On Me
11) King Khan & the BBQ Show-Waddln Around
12) Miss Lauren Marie Good Love
13) Pep Torres Mr. Misery
14) Johnny Mercury Hillbilly Rave
15) Pinehill Haints Ghost Train
16) Herb Harris Blurry Vision
17) Dawn Shipley Don't Let Me Go
18) Marshall Scott Warner Cock Needs A Hen
19) Full Blown Cherry- Give Me A Woman
20) Big Sandy & Flyrite Boys Mystery
21) The Detriot Cobras Village of Love
22) The Marauders Astro Zombies
23) Windy White 5 To 15
24) Hank III Lov'n An Angel
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 1:22 pm

oh yeah.. thanks for the tips everybody. I gotta enough amunition to make another. Maybe when he dies he'll leave me his record collection.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:27 pm

Try some BR5-49.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 5:05 pm

NEKROMANTICS
TIGER ARMY
HORRORPOPS

you should be kicked off the goner board immeditely for suggesting this bullshit
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 5:46 pm

Whoever posted those bands was obviously joking, dimwit.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 6:31 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

[Flat Duo Jets]
Old people don't like this band-it's far too contemporary sounding

This gets to the heart of the issue of gonerness, I think.
Old people think Flat Duo Jets sound too contemporary, but nearly anyone under 45 or so thinks they sound like grandpa music from 50 years ago. Old timers would be scared of Fireworks or '68 Comeback, but punk-rockers think those bands are tame 'cause the kids don't like shit that swings. I shudder sometimes at the realization that being into an unbelievable variety of music spanning several generations and many styles actually backs one into a very small social corner.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 7:15 pm

I shudder sometimes at the realization that being into an unbelievable variety of music spanning several generations and many styles actually backs one into a very small social corner.

Can I quote you? And...you're not a lady are you? I think I'm in love...
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 7:18 pm

That's cute.

I don't shudder though, I relish it. Especially since everybody outside of the circle is a fucking asshole anyways, and not just for musical reasons.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 7:26 pm

No, I'm not a lady.
I've spent a lot of time relishing in outsider status too I guess, but it doesn't make that corner any bigger.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 10:42 pm

yeah you two fags are a couple of real rebels outside of society.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 10:49 pm

I'ts true! now pardon me while I go to the grocery store. I'm short some ingredients for the chef's salad I'm making for dinner tonight.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 10:53 pm

I'll bring the sun-dried tomatoes and pick some flowers for the table centerpiece.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 12:17 am

You guys gotta see the salad forks I bought at Crate and Barrell...
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 1:56 pm

I don't shudder though, I relish it.

Yeah, dont forget the relish. I like that on salad too.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 9:05 pm

Sweet relish, or spicy?
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 9:20 pm

I've said it before & I'll say it again, I prefer silence to 99% of all music. Likewise, I prefer being alone to 99% of all people.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 9:36 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

That sounds dramatic, but a mathematician knows immediately that this one percent of each still leaves you with tens of thousands of choice cuts for listening and tens of thousands of party friends too.

Rager at you're place? BYOB?
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 9:48 pm

That sounds dramatic, but a mathematician knows immediately that this one percent of each still leaves you with tens of thousands of choice cuts for listening and tens of thousands of party friends too.

Put away the sliderule, Pointdexter.

I've only got three beers left.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 10:01 pm

Heh heh.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 10:23 pm

I got five Stella's and a pile of choice cuts. I feel to be in a surfer's mood today.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 10:33 pm

Just skip "Hawaiian War Chant" wherever it appears. Have fun.
I'm stuck at work. No beer. No records.

So. Rockabilly or whatever, right?
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 6:52 am

3) Moonshine Mason Go Down Swinging

That's a pretty cool mix we made it on- it's an old Porter Wagoner tune.

Can I get a copy of that? :)
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 7:31 am

Posted: Jan 24, 2007 2:16 pm

Rhino has 2 boxsets. Loud, Fast and Out of Control. And the recently released Rockin' Bones. I like local live shows by The Dempseys and Amy Lavere. If he is on computer http://www.youtube.com/ has 4,200 rockabilly videos in their search. http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/RaB-HoF/ - No heavy metal.
memphisjd@bellsouth.net
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 2:31 pm

Can I get a copy of that? :)

email me: wpvalentine@gmail.com
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 8:48 pm

"Jackson,MS. actaully had a scene,record label (AceRecords)."

You should tell Norton Records about this guy! Although i know they're not strictly 'Billy,Billy.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®