Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Guitar Center.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 1:40 am

has lots of Guitar Shop Assholes. I was in there other day and this fat employee who "works" the door..you know the type.."hey can i help ya find somethin..?" ask me if i needed help finding something.. i says "were your used stuff?" he says " you dont want used..take a look at these marked down dean markley guitars, they're 299.99 used ta be 500 bucks" i said "wheres youre used stuff?" he says " oh its over in the back.." Asshole.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:22 am

.."hey can i help ya find somethin..?"
Always respond to this question with "NO.". Precede to hunt it down yourself; if you can't find it, then ask. 95% of the time I've found it by myself. I've been shopping with this technique all my life. Those Guitar Shop Assholes are probably getting a commission at the checkout.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:30 am

The thing about guitar center is -- most of those assholes have no clue what most of the less obvious used stuff is, so I've gotten GREAT deals (in the Clifton, NJ store) on amps.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:43 am

I like to go into shops (even shops other than guitar shops) and ask right away what I am looking for. I'm always in a big hurry. Once they point me to what I wan't, then I'll say, "Thanks, I got it from here!" and most of the time they will leave you alone but if they continue to stand there next to you then all you have to say is, "If I need something more, I will let you know!"
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 6:30 am

I would like to buy some strings and your cheapest pick.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 6:52 am

I love when guitar shop guys tell you what you "do" and "don't want". Thank you, Captain Mind Control. I will take all my orders not from my brain, but directly from the mullet dome of the 40 year old ex-Slayer cover band guitarist who smells like crack. You lead...I follow...Yoda...lead me..
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 1:14 pm | Edited by: carney

The salespeople work on commision. And it's not much. They are going to try to sell you the stuff that has the most markup, that's just how it works. Ignore them, find what you want and demand that they lower the price. They can do that without manager's approval as long as they don't discount past 10% over cost. Go online and find a better price, they have to beat it (as long as it's from an authorized dealer.)

For used stuff, ask them what the minimum price is. They usually will sell it for that. In a about an hour, I'm picking up a rental van and 10 kids and we are driving to the Grand Opening of the Guitar Center in Beaumont tx. The kids are playing two sets tonight as part of the grand opening festivities.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:21 pm

i only buy from musicians friend for new now. i can't bear to go into guitar stores anymore since mojo shut down. an i'm banned from mattumanov's. forget 48th st. besides mf is cheaper. an i got a credit account.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:38 pm

do they still have the 30 day return for any reason policy? i loved that shit. my old band bought all new gear one day, played a show that night and returned everything the next day.
we also got an 8 track and a bunch of mics, recorded and returned the shit the next week.
beats the hell out of renting
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 3:43 pm

I found my twin at guitar center used for 800 bucks. Scoped it out and went back to put money down and my regular nice guy was nowhere to be found. So I end up with this douche that's like 60 wearing a bolero tie and not listening to anything I say. I actually had to STAND on top of an amp to get his attention. So when I finally plug it in to play on, he says "you know how to work one of these?". No, dumbass, I'm about to drop close to a grand on something totally mysterious to me. Then he knocked over some super expensive stupid guitar and my friend caught it and he was a little nicer. Fuck that shit. I did get a Fender reverb unit there for 250 out the door, but for the most part pawn shops are where it's at.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:04 pm

Guitar Center RULES!

I usually prefer Guitar Centers over locals. It's cheaper and they usually leave you alone and don't care if you fuck with their instruments.

Don't give me that crap about evil corporations. As far as these local guitar shops are concerned: FUCK EM! Those fucks are just as evil, barely pay their employee's minimum wage, treat em like shit, and mark prices up beyond belief.

The guy that owns the largest local music store in Jackson is the biggest fucking prick I've ever met in my life. Old bald motherfucker has been ripping this town off for centuries (when he isn't busy trying to fuck the newest 19 yr old front counter girl).

I laughed my ass off when Guitar Center came to town. And the only thing better than Guitar Center is being able to walk in to a Wal-Mart at 11pm on a Saturday night and buy a pack of GHS Boomers.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:18 pm

#1 GUITAR SHOP PET PEEVE

ME: Hey, I'm looking for a (insert random part).
SHOP GUY: We don't have one but let me order it. It'll be $19.95 and we'll call you when we get it in.
ME: Me that's ok, I just get it online.
SHOP GUY: **flustered*** Well it's right here, all I got to do is order it.

I don't know why this bothers me, but it get's fucking under my skin. Every time they don't have something I need they offer to "order it". And get pissed when I tell them never mind. Like I'm not capable of using a computer. Or perhaps I've been living under a rock for the last 12 years and haven't heard of the internet. The only, ONLY reason to buy anything at a guitar shop is instant gratification. Any person with a debit card and internet access can get ANYTHING cheaper than retail and sent to your door step faster than they can get it to their shop.

ERRG!!! Fucking pony-tail having Stevie Ray Via listening fucks
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Fuck that place. Yeah, they're on comission, yes they do try to sell you the crappiest tawaineez bullshit for the most cash, when you go in knowing what you want already. Once, they almost wouldn't sell me a particular chord-almost tried to refuse to sell it to me-just because they wanted me to buy something more expensive. Then the dude was like "Wanna check out my gay band?" What?!

GS quote of the century:
"Hey buddy- I got ya a good deal on those cymbals, right?"
"yeah, I guess it's an ok deal."
"Well how 'bout kickin' some of that back my way?"

If they leave you the fuck alone, you can get some stuff pretty cheap though.
All guitar shops are assholes.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:43 pm

my favorite is when the GSA's try to talk to me about whatever band shirt i'm wearing...

GSA: who are the subteens? are they from london? what kind of music do they play?
me: they play rock and roll. they aren't from london. can i get those picks now?
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:09 pm

you: hey you're kinda cute. i like yer beard.

gsa:maybe we could get together a little later. i get off work in a couplea hours.

you: that sounds great. we can play the new dylan an get crazy. i'll wear my satin goner baseball jacket an male thong matchin set.

gsa: what's goner???
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:37 pm

you: goner's a punk rock thing-y'know, from London. Wanna come up to my apartment and I'll show ya? *winkwink*
gsa: tee hee!
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 7:11 pm

wait guys, i'm confused...is that "you" infinitive?
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 7:33 pm

I usually don't get bothered in Guitar Center. Having a vagina is an asset in that store. Everyone thinks you're there with your boyfriend, so they don't try to help you/talk you into buying things. The most annoying sounds at guitar center are people wailing away/showing off on guitar for 20 minutes, and the inevitable question "What's your set up?" or "Are you sure you don't want a gig bag with that?"
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 8:22 pm

Your a gig bag.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 8:33 pm

They don't have shit for drum stuff....
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 8:53 pm

Whatever happened to the good ol' days when you just played the "may I help you" riff?
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 9:02 pm

i only buy from musicians friend for new now.

Fuck MF. If you're gonna buy new online use sweetwater.com
Same prices as MF, but they actually have the shit in stock that they say is in stock. Also the customer service is amazing. You get one person handling your order who is either a recording engineer or musician, and you can call them directly at any time directly with questions or problems with your gear.
No I don't work for them, I found them when I was shopping around for a firewire recording interface, and they were the only ones who actually had the one I wanted in stock, unlike the others (MF, zzounds, samedaymusic) who all said they had it on their websites, but when I called they said they'd have to order it.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 9:07 pm

mf always had everything i ordered in stock. always free shippin. i got two guitars i love from them. plus my vox pathfinder, arion stage tuner an even my turntable. gonna buy my deville four by ten an a maestro fuz reish from them too. plus they have no interest credit accounts.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 12:55 am

Me a coupla years ago:

Hi, I don't know anything about guitars but I broke the ones on my roomate's electric guitar so I need to buy a set.

Asshole [standing in front of a wall of strings]:

We don't have any
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 2:16 am

a little later. your dormroom.

you: oh, ooh. oh, ohh.

gsa: harder, harder.

you: oh, ooh.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 6:30 am

They don't have shit for drum stuff....
if they did, it'd cost more than a Wall St. Hooker..!!!
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 4:15 pm

I give Guitar center credit for selling turntables and mixers but other than that forget it.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 7:14 pm

Guitar Center and Musican's fiend are the SAME company. That's why GC doesn't do mail order. They'll ship stuff to you if you use a cc or have an account.

AS I said before, I run a kid's music school. We played the grand opening of a GC store last night in beautiful Beaumont TX. We got paid $1500 for two 30 minute sets of classic rock covers. I saw more mullets in two hour s than I've seen in 10 years. The corporate head of "loss prevention" was there, he's a former CIA bigwig.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®