Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Musical dilemma
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:11 pm

When it's late at night and I'm wasted (I'm talking completely irrational) and starving for some completely nutty sounds I can never seem to find anything psychedelic enough to listen too. I really want something completely over the top weird and not necessarily rock and roll nor free jazz. What do I need?
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:16 pm

You need some "Raise the Bells" by Folk Implosion.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:18 pm

I'll send you a link to something tonight.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:26 pm

I almost think if I don't take psychedelic drugs I'll never hear what I want ever again. It's true, isn't it?
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:30 pm

I don't know. But have you ever really looked at your hands.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:33 pm

Do that thing when you lie on the floor and raise one of your arms for about a minute, then slowly lower it back to your side. Blows your mind!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:39 pm

Stop complaining.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:39 pm

Uh..EXCUSE ME!!???

I believe you are reffering to what is called 'the alexander technique' mister Muddy. It's a relaxation exrcise thats used by us classically trained thespians of the theatre much like myself!

Your never to old to learn!(or have your personal assisstant learn for you!).

BUY MY PERFUME!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:44 pm

Don't know if I really understand what you're looking for, Joe, but Khan Jamal's recently reissued Drumdance to the Motherland comes to mind. Here's the write-up:

there's not another record on the planet that sounds even remotely like vibraphonist khan jamal's eccentric, one-of-a-kind masterpiece, drumdance to the motherland. in its improbable fusion of free jazz expressionism, black psychedelia, & full-on dub-like production techniques, drumdance remains a bracingly powerful outsider statement thirty-four years after it was recorded live at the catacombs club in philadelphia in 1972. comparisons to sun ra, king tubby, phil cohran & byg/actuel merely hint at the cosmic otherness conjured by the band & by recording engineer mario falana's real-time "enhancements." The first edition of three hundred copies, issued by jamal in 1973 on the local philadelphia label dogtown, was barely distributed outside the city's limits. since then drumdance has assumed a mythic status among the very few aficionados, e-bay mutants, & heads who know of it at all. hallelujah that it can finally be heard outside their murky inner-sanctums!

"dogtown was an underground philadelphia jazz operation owned (in some part) by saxophonist byard lancaster. in addition to a few records under lancaster's name, the label issued this forgotten l/p by vibraphonist khan jamal... the first time i heard this, i thought i was listening to something relatively new, a record on siltbreeze or sound-at-one... there are four songs spread across two sides, & the a-side is a free-jazz powerblast that shares no aural companions in the u.s. at the time. even comparisons to dense japanese noisemakers like masayuki takayanagi or sabu toyozumi would be a little off the mark. on the other side of the record we are presented with the true sound of "cosmic jazz," an effects-laden, watercolor portrait of the heavens painted by heavy delayed drums & monnette sudler's sparkling freak guitar. ask somebody, "do you like jazz music?" & then drop the needle on this platter to watch their face contort into a rapidly changing palette of emotions. someone named mario falgna is credited with "sound effects" & you get the feeling that the "sound effects" might be of the green combustible sort. originally aired live on local philly jazz radio, apparently, the _drum dance to the motherland_ l/p is left to remain as a mobius strip of black energy, twisting & eternal in the face of "making a living" & "real expression." thirty-odd years down the road, the record is more relevant today than it has ever been, for the intensity & anger have faded & we are now left only with the intergalactic vapors of a cast of artists questing for the cosmos through music. if ever a record was ripe for reissue, khan jamal's invisible release on dogtown is the exact fruit everyone should be trying to harvest." --dante carfagna, waxpoetics
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:52 pm

That sounds cool. Is it also funny? I want a sense of humour with my weird. Thanks!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:57 pm

Fushitsusha dbl live CD
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:08 pm

I found a record of African tribesmen doing chants and drumming at this little record store in Ithaca. It's from some PR campaign from the fifties... "The Exciting, Emerging Continent of Africa!" or whatever. This group of African guys went around the country performing their chants for American politicians and shit. I could go get it and bring it to NY if you want.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:13 pm

Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:18 pm

Some of the stuff I'll put up for you is improv-psych, some improv-jazzercise, some "just fucking around", mostly instrumentals, but all acid fueled.

Some of that stuff makes my jaws tighten up just thinking about it.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:18 pm

the first song off 'Indo-Jazz fusions' is great when you're totally fucked. its not fusion so dont worry. It starts off indian and sitary and then over the next 20 minutes it gets slowly more and more be-bop, its great! I dunno who did it, I have the LP. Though prefer dumb punk thesedays or really fast hardcore when I come in after a night out. Or the first few Joe Bataan albums which are fucking great. Or 'Go d Make Me Funky' by the Headhunters. Thats a pretty funky record.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:22 pm

go find an american doomsday cult compilation.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:30 pm

go find an american doomsday cult compilation.

Yeah! Some Elizabeth Claire Prophet should do the trick.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:31 pm

That sounds cool. Is it also funny? I want a sense of humour with my weird

Hm, dunno if there's too much humor content in Drumdance... You can listen to a track here:

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/20338

It's followed by "Khalid of Space, pt. 2", off of Larry Young's Lawrence of Newark record, a personal favorite.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:35 pm

try dr. john's gris-gris
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:38 pm

try dr. john's gris-gris

Got it. I like it but it's not what I'm looking for. I want something that sounds like a bunch kids making that taunting tongue noise and Carl Stalling shit playing backwards overlapping eachother. Or what it sounds like to be on the inside of a brown paper bag as is being crumpled up on you.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:46 pm

Swear to god, Joe. Sometime I'll bust out the 16-track just for you, and you can direct everything you want to hear.

Joe: the inside of a brown paper bag as is being crumpled up on you
Me: tapes track 1 with heavy condenser mic inside large paper grcery bag; crumple.
Joe: Now add some jingle bells
Me: tape track 2 jingle bells
...and so on...
I'll post the mixes immediately after.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:47 pm

I knew you were my best friend!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:48 pm

You want some wah-wah on that?
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:49 pm

Yeah, but make sure it goes in ovals. And alternate volum from low to go every three wahs.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:51 pm

This can all totally be done.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:55 pm

Can we make music that's like, backwards cubed aka upside down?
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:57 pm

The beauty of reel-to-reel, man. Just flip the tape.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 12:46 am

this maaay work
URL
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 1:07 am

Joe, you want weird late night tripped out psych with a sense of humor? Somebody get this man a copy of Skip Spence's "oar". Pronto! Now that yer lovin the airplane it's only too obvious of a choice! Already got it? Try Kennelmus "folk stone prism". Not their first album, the second one. The first one is trippy but in a makes no sense and no real songs, kinda' way.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 1:54 am

Rx: chrome

doctors orders
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:08 am

this maaay work
URL

Yeah, even the top Bollywood cuts aren't cuttin' it anymore. Anybody ever listen to Tipsy? That's some of my favorite shit ever. Two dudes with computers that sampled a bunch of easy records and added a million layers of funny noises and made REAL pop songs out of it. Not even just loops, but seriously great music. I've worn out those records the last 7 or 8 years.

Now that yer lovin the airplane

See, I'm not "loving" the airplane, I just thought that one LP was pretty quality. I probably do need some more Chrome. And Hawkwind too. Silver Apples ain't cuttin' it for me any more either. I mean I love it, but I get so fucked up that I look for records in my racks and NOTHING seems hilarious enough. I dunno, Kenny G in that state might actually be the answer.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:13 am

Do that thing when you lie on the floor and raise one of your arms for about a minute, then slowly lower it back to your side. Blows your mind!

before i do this and then feel reeeeaallly dumb for doing it tell me what happens. i promise, i'll do it anyway.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:14 am

Seriously, you'll Love OAR!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:15 am

Ya know, one of the best musical experiences i've ever had was listening to Las Vegas Grind v. 4 on 'shrooms. I laughed my ass off.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:16 am

Thanks dude, I appreciate the suggestions, fer sure! Looking forward to seing you guys play on Sunday, even if you only play "booze music." HEE-HAW!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:18 am

Last Exit ," the noise of trouble live in Japan" always does it for me. But I'm EASY!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:18 am

Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:19 am

I like Last Exit alot!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:33 am

I'm uploading some stuff now. You may like it, might hate it. Hope it's fun though.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:48 am

"Oar" rules! When I got that record I kept playing "Little Hands" over & over before listening to the rest of the record. Ever hear that song he tried to get on the X-Files?
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 7:04 am

Alex Empire's Elvis lp. It will totally fuck you up in a special but great way, no matter how wasted you are.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 12:36 pm

Rev. Dwight Frizell and The Black Crack Revue's 'Anal Magic' could be what you're looking for. Or White Noise 'An Electric Storm.' Maybe some Residents? Renaldo and The Loaf's 'Songs For Swinging Larvae' is hilarious and creepy.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 1:13 pm

The Elevators Bull Of The Woods float-eth my boat!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 1:45 pm

Perrey - Kingsley records. "In Sounds from Way Out" is probably the best.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:19 pm

"Oar" rules! When I got that record I kept playing "Little Hands" over & over before listening to the rest of the record. Ever hear that song he tried to get on the X-Files?

Yeah - I remember it being pretty odd, even for Skip.

Seconding (thirding?) the Oar love. "Weighted Down" is a great 4 a.m. listen. Hell, the whole thing is.

And I love that one song he did later, "All My Life I Love You."
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:23 pm

hilarious an creepy.

just like gaylick. w/out the hilarious.

an you fags are all thinkin way too technical. what the loser needs is some mid 60 texas mindblow-red krayola parable of arable land an the psychedlic sounds of the thirteenth floor elevators. or amon duul psychedelic underground. do i have to teach youlame-o's everything???

ps you have an listen to lou reed's metal machine music on lps, right???
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:30 pm

I figured he was aware of the first elevators. Parable of arable is a good suggestion too though. Although it may require drugs.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:07 pm

Hey Diggler, those recs are for newbies. Let's dig(gler) a little deeper, eh granpa?
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:10 pm

you're just diggin up shit pooty poot. i already found the gold. i win again!!!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:12 pm

Jack Stands, I haven't had time to listen yet but I will. Thanks!

Maybe some Residents?

Yeah, I play 3rd Reich 'n' Roll usually at that time and it's pretty much what I want, but I still want weirder.

Perrey - Kingsley records. "In Sounds from Way Out" is probably the best.

I've owned about 4 copies of this but I don't have one left now though. I actuallu like that better when I'm sober for some reason. I have plenbty of other moog stuff. The Hellers works pretty well as does Pierre Henry.

red krayola parable of arable

This might be what I need.

ps you have an listen to lou reed's metal machine music on lps, right???

I KNOW I need that shit. I've been thinking about getting a couple old radio recievers and just placing them in different areas of the room and listening to multi-directional AM static going back and forth on the dial. I used to do this in my car with just the one stereo and the fader and balance knobs.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:15 pm

BOREDOMS
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:17 pm

'Anal Magic' man. Ned never heard dat one. But I'm sure he's performed it.

Of course you need 'Arable.' I'm ashamed for you for not owning it. Kidding, sorta.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:17 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

BOREDOMS

I know, huh? I play that Z-Rock Hawaii alot at my special time.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:21 pm

Of course you need 'Arable.' I'm ashamed for you for not owning it.

I usually only buy records that I can DJ so my sets don't get stale. I might hafta get selfish and actually by some personal enjoyment music for a change.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:23 pm

Actually, it's called 'Beyond The Black Crack' and it was issued in an edition of 200 LPs in 1976, then reissued in 1998 on CD w/ a bunch of extra shit and it is totally fucked. It's to outsider weirdness as Debris' is to punk rock.

Also, Matmos and Nurse With Wound will make you laugh hysterically and then check that the doors are locked. I mean, you want non-rock, right? Whatever, I think I'm goin back to sleep. Awaiting your timeless wit, Tom Hayden, you fucking CIA agent you.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:25 pm

"Pink Stainless Tail" will get any crowd's surf up, brah.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:27 pm

you can dj parable. hurricane fighter planes a real mover. aks the cramps. an transparent radiation is a slow one for the ladies. don't mes w/diggler.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:33 pm

I don't play slow ones. Unless they sound like oooooze.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:36 pm

Is there a better quality reissue of Parable than the old Charly CD I've got (which also has God Bless the RK... on it)?
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:36 pm

Even "War Sucks" is a good song.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:40 pm

Get Back reissued 'Parable' on LP years ago. Atleast 5. Sounds top-notch.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:44 pm

Back when i had the store I turned up 10 sealed copies of parable. I was sellin'em for $20. They're long gone but my round the way point is that even the original vinyl was not great quality pressing, sound wise. Kinda muddy. It is kinda hard (not impossible) to DJ with cause it's unbanded.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:46 pm

Proper remaster might even sound better.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:48 pm

Really? Thanks for letting me know, since I'd shied away from those Get Back reissue LPs. I picked up a few of their jazz titles and they tended to sound flat next to originals on BYG/Actuel (who themselves have a reputation for dodgy pressings!). Then there was the time a friend of mine once bought one of their Godz reissues only to find the center label pressed in the grooves!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:56 pm

kinda hard (not impossible) to DJ with cause it's unbanded.

Yeah, yr right, forgot. Just let that Freeform Freakout Fuckin Flow.

I want all those Actuel reissues. They not sound so good? Bummer.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:05 pm

parable vinyl $16 fe. get back reish. i got somea those actuel reissues an they sounded great. fuckin monkey pockie boo by sonny sharrock, don cherry/ed blackwell mu (seen em playin together for free at the continental divide!!! stood next to ornette at the bar. ed blackwell put me in a headlock. nice man. great drummer. don cherry was runnin around the club tryin to score all night.)
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:09 pm

Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:11 pm

> I want all those Actuel reissues. They not sound so good? Bummer.

Well, I get the impression that they're kinda hit or miss. Maybe quality varies with each title. Like I say, my friend and I had a couple not-so-great experiences and that put me off a bit. Other folks don't seem to have any problems, so maybe it was just a string of bad luck there.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:31 pm

There's this album by Mort Shuman called My Death that's really weird. I don't know if I would call it psychedelic, but really weird - yes. Perfect for drunken listening.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:41 pm

Again I suggest Strange-"Translucent World". It has synth and screaming guitar and is often hilarious to boot with very weird over the top vocal. I think Arkarma might have reissued it on CD. Hard to find original vinyl, although it sounds way better...
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:41 pm

Perfect for drunken listening.

Not looking for drunk music!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:45 pm

just get the Mayo Thompson solo album "Corky's Debt to His Father." it's between the Red Krayola & the Skip Spence. It is the best of both worlds.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:52 pm

or maybe some Escape from Noise by Negativeland
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:03 pm

Hey Bazooka Joe-
Do you have "How to Have A Freakout Party" by Unfolding? Audio Fidelity's attempt at an "Acid Rock" record. It says on the back cover:

"It's easy to organize a FREAK OUT PARTY, all you have to do is relax your mind and let things happen. Digging wild psychedelic colors, swinging with way out sounds, grooving on yourself, grooving on everything at once. LOVE"....maybe you should just try that...
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:06 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Hey Bazooka Joe-
Do you have "How to Have A Freakout Party" by Unfolding? Audio Fidelity's attempt at an "Acid Rock" record.

Been waiting to locate one for about 8 years now. I do have the John Bunyan and his Progressive Pilgrims LP on Alshire. It's the same band as the group playing behind 101 Strings for the "Astro Sounds" LP. There's two songs in particular on there that never let me down.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:07 pm

or maybe some Escape from Noise by Negativeland

Funny you should mention this. I've been listening to the Dick Vaughn Over the Edge stuff in the car the last couple of days. It's great. "Don't touch that dial, it's got Dick on it."
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:13 pm

Been waiting to locate one for about 8 years now

Next one I see has your name on it...
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:16 pm

Sweet!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:16 pm

Also what about the Index LP on Voxx? That's some great heaviness...
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:19 pm

Not looking for drunk music!

Fine, then - perfect for completely irrational wastedness listening.

Negativeland is coming to Milwaukee sometime soon.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:21 pm

completely irrational

When I say "completely irrational" it has very little to do with booze. But thanks for your help!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:38 pm

Bloody Hippies! :-)
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Not a freakout, but the Red Crayola mention reminded me of Spacemen 3's "Dreamweapon" (LP is 2 long numbers, CD had some extras, I think). It's drone & incidental background stuff that's pretty hypnotic & weird if you go w/ it. It was a LaMonte Young tribute of sorts. Maybe you could play a Mr. California LP on 45?
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:52 pm

Please don't write off Mort Shuman because I associated it with the word 'drunken'. Jebus. Booze isn't my altered state of choice, either.

Negativland.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:52 pm

RRRecords put out a 7" of 100 locked grooves and later an LP with 500 of 'em. Either one of those (or both, I guess) might be able to keep you entertained for a while.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 6:02 pm

Ahhh... I heard that locked groove double lp at Slovenly Pete's awhile back. Good stuff!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 6:40 pm

My buddy's got those. Wish I did. Hell, wish I was on it, every other dork is.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 6:42 pm

I thought I someone on this thread was talking about the "Voices of the Millenium' LP, but now I can't find it. Just saw it at the store. Someone gimme the scoop (good/bad and what's it sound like). Ta.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:35 am | Edited by: mikesniper

Some psychedelic experimenta shit datz good to me:

Sun City Girls http://b2b.forcedexposure.com/productView.do?id=26464
Cromagnon http://b2b.forcedexposure.com/productView.do?id=10622
Shadow Ring http://b2b.forcedexposure.com/productView.do?id=9296
Roots of Madness http://b2b.forcedexposure.com/productView.do?id=27219
Sons of Negus http://www.ebreggae.com/ItemDetails.asp?ID=36724&TTID=12857514

Sons of Negus rules, it's psychedelic roots reggae with nyabinghi drumming and fuzzed out acid guitar and chants.

Ok, you sissy.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:37 am

"Voices of the Millenium' LP

It's ok if you like Sagittarius and Millenium.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:39 am

mike sniper stay the fuck out of this you powerpop fag. you don't know shit about brain fry.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:41 am

I've also been listening to this shit a lot lately, not really that experimental, though...

Witch http://b2b.forcedexposure.com/productView.do?id=34772
Keith Hudson http://b2b.forcedexposure.com/productView.do?id=25115
Wally Gonzalez http://b2b.forcedexposure.com/productView.do?id=26078
Vulcan http://b2b.forcedexposure.com/productView.do?id=1613

Vulcan sounds like Chrome but noisier and more freaked.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:43 am

mike sniper stay the fuck out of this you powerpop fag. you don't know shit about brain fry.

Don't make me bring up Nullset. Psychedelic electro powerpop from NJ.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:44 am

i told you to fuckin shut it. nobody cares about yer fuckin fe bullshit. go to sleep.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:45 am

Ned, you really should check out Vulcan.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:47 am

F/E kinda does blow with their descriptions, but along with Fusetron they're the best distro for this shit. Bazooka Joe, if ya wanna hear any of these you need only tear your ass from the sofa and come visit some time, fucking loser.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:51 am

i'll tell ya what i'm gonna be checkin out-the figures of light an alarm clocks an hipshakes singles next month. oh, an i tracked down that tape i was tellin ya about an they even sent me an mp3 which i played on my gaybook. gonna get the rest of the tape this weekend. great lost suburban ny '77 punk. i'll give ya all a hint-they were mentioned in punk magazine once. when i put that shit out brains are gonna fry. mark my words. (it's not me.)
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:53 am

The Ramones?
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 5:45 am

I'll second that Mort Shuman record, that fucker is absolutely insane. The album, not Mort Shuman himself, although he may be, i dunno.

How about some Edgar Varese? "Deserts" is what I'm thinking of specifically, with it's "interpolations of organized sound." What about Wild Man Fischer? "An Evening With..." is my all time favorite sunrise album. What's yer take on the early Mothers Of Invention stuff? When I look to listen to fucked up stuff and I attempt to go with something obscure, it's never as good as if I had just put on "Lumpy Gravy," "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" or something. Same with Beefheart, I'll go "Oh, how about I listen to something I've never heard?" and then rip the needle off halfway through and just listen to "Lick My Decals Off" at maximum volume. Shit, that usually does it. Also for consideration, put on a Gino Vanelli record in these sorts of instances. I only actually own "Storm At Sunup" but "Love Me Now" and "Mama Coco" are usually worth it. "You Gotta Move" too.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 5:52 am

Damn, I just realized Varese, Wild Man Fischer and Beefheart are all results of my Zappa obsession. Coincidentally, Steve Vai's "Flexable" CD (with the outtakes) has given me some eyebrow raising moments, seriously. Most is unlistenable to my ear, but a few of the stranger experimental pieces are really cool, like "Chronic Insomnia" and "So Happy." I like "The Attitude Song."

Funkadelic's "Free Your Mind" record is pretty fucked for the most part. I recommend Parliament's "Osmium" most highly. Soft Machine can get pretty out there, if you can dig that kinda thing -- "Facelift" from "Third" is a fucking masterpiece melange of live performance and tape manipulation, but Volume 2 has some pretty noisy and incoherent passages.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 5:54 am

Plunderphonics. Now that's fucked.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 7:00 am

Posted: Sep 13, 2006 12:51 pm

you need some Gland Puppies
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 3:07 pm

I've listened to plenty of Sons of Negus (ne Ras Michael) and Keith Hudson too. I used to have that Triojan CD "Studio Kinda Cloudy." I finally got a repro 45 of Keith's "Satan Side" from Deadly Dragon Sound early in the summer.

Hey Snipey, I think I'm gonna be making my next record purchases from Academy cuz I wanna get some home listening for a change. I would go there more but I've only been buying dance party 45's for a long time and last time I was there there weren't none.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 3:46 pm

couple of noise tracks on the sreamin mee-mees basement tapes had me blown last night. i got the LP and downloaded the cd. cd has extra tracks...pfffft i hate that shit
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:13 pm

I've listened to plenty of Sons of Negus (ne Ras Michael)

Yeah, their other records are good roots shit, but "Freedom Sounds" is FUCKED, it's not reggae at all.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:14 pm

I'm down.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:25 pm

Wild Man Fischer, shit, if you haven't heard it that might be just the thing.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:47 pm

Merry Go!
Merry Go!
Merry Go Round!
BOH! BOH! BOH!

I love the Wild Man...check out his new documentary too...derailroaded.com
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 11:32 pm

monkeys and donkeys
monkeys and donkeys
monkeys and donkeys bam!

bom-pad-a-bom-bom
bom-pad-a-bom-bom
bom-pad-a-bom-bom-bom!

bom-pad-a-bom-bom
bom-pad-a-bom-bom
bom-pad-a-bom-bom-bom!!

HERE THEY GO AROUND THE BEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 12:01 am

Miss Jennifer Jones is lying dead on my porch, doont doo-doo doo-ooon!
Miss Jennifer Jones!

The story of this song starts out in Nebraska. I had a farm, a cow, a penguin and a Negro slave.
Miss Jennifer Jones!

The very next day a kid around three foot five came around my house - started throwin' avocados at my cow! carrots at my penguin! he threw a rotten tomato at my penguin! it was terrible so I killed him. Blood was coming out of his nose, it was coming out of everywhere, oh it was terrible!!
Ah Miss Jennifer Jones!

So the very next day the grandfather came, the grandmother came, the grandchildren came - oh they tried to kill me so I started shootin' 'em - kssh kssh kssh kssh! Oh, they were just lying dead all over the place! So I told my slave to put 'em in the garage.
Ah Miss Jennifer Jones!
[coughs] (Excuse me) Doont doo-doo doo-ooon . . .
Ah Miss Jennifer Jones!

Oh it was becoming a terrible thing, the sheriff was coming around and all his deputies . . . I was killing everybody! Oh my garage, it looked like Hitler's Nazi camp, it was terrible!! I killed everybody in the territory!!
Ah Miss Jennifer Jones!

So let's get to the other half of this story . . . We talk about Jennifer Jones. (Doont doo-doo doo-ooon . . . ) She lived in Massachusetts . . . (Doont doo-doo doo-ooon . . . ) And she, uh, she used to be, uh, a small-time hooker, she only charged like, uh, twenty-five dollars a throw - SO ONE DAY SOMEBODY WOULDN'T PAY HER! SO SHE KILLED HIM!! Oh, it was all bad, blood comin' out of everywhere . . . she had to run from the scene!
Ah Miss Jennifer Jones! Doont doo-doo doo -

Everybodyandtheycameafterhershekilled - oh, she just hated men! She went, oh she'd go to bars and she'd look in the bars and she'd go, "Me-en!!" . . . and she'd start shootin' 'em - kssh kssh kssh kssh! Ears would fall off - oh it was terrible! SHE WAS THE MOST WANTED WOMAN IN MASSACHUSETTS!!!
Ah Miss Jennifer Jones!

So Miss Jennifer Jones bein' so wanted an' everything started comin' t'wards MY way! (Doont doo-doo doo-ooon . . . ) Coming closer! (Doont doo-doo doo-ooon . . . ) And closer, heh heh! (Doont doo-doo doo) Finally she got around to my territory - she went around, she went lookin' for people - SHE COULDN'T FIND NOBODY!! "Where is everybody, ooh this is terrible!"
Ah Miss Jennifer Jones!

So finally she kept looking and looking and looking - she finally got to my house and she said, "How come there's nobody around here?" So I told her, I said, "Go look in my garage!" So she went over to my garage and she goes, "Oh . . . ohhh!! . . . " And she came back to me and she said "Who killed all those people in your garage, did y'ever see it?!!" "It's my garage, I've seen it."
Ah Miss Jennifer Jones!

So she got all uptight an' screamed an' everythin' an' she said, "You're mean! You're a terrible person!! I'm gonna KILL YOU!!!" KSSSH!! . . . and there she was - dead on my porch!!!
I say Jennifer Jones! Doont doo-doo doo-ooon . . .
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 3:47 pm

hey mike, how do you login/sign up for forced exposure
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 4:01 pm

I got an Israeli field recording LP frim the 60's last night. I think is what I wanted all along.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:01 am | Edited by: mikesniper

hey mike, how do you login/sign up for forced exposure

Shit, just saw this....

It's a direct-order site, but I but the "b2b" (business to business) links up by mistake. You need a tax ID to buy from them wholesale. In which case, I recommend'em to Eric and Zac, they ship fast and have a great selection, tough going through all the shit they have. Loads of crappy electronic and neu-indie garbage.

You can buy the records I put up by going to their regular website, not the b2b, sorry!
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:21 am

we buy from 'em! we like 'em! we don't understand all the techno crap they sell, but the psych & weird stuff is worth it!

Jimmy bought 100 of the 1st Guitar Wolf lp with the noisy pressing way back when!
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:24 am

and TSOT does "Merry Go Round!"

the Wi-hi-hi-hild MAN! FISCHER!

(or steve!)
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 5:27 am

we got that mort schuman record, too. It's weird.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 8:00 am

Eric O! How much for that Mort Shuman record?
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 8:01 am

Oh, and did anyone mention Harry Partch yet?
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 3:21 pm

Yeah, I play 3rd Reich 'n' Roll usually at that time and it's pretty much what I want, but I still want weirder.

i finally scored a copy of this, it's fucking great. and not to call cole out but it's a pretty obvious influence for the old king cole younger shit...even got the swaztika imagery...
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 3:34 pm

If you like field recordings, the one's from Morrocco (not the Brian Jones record) are very trance inducing also. They are on a French label on CD. Not sure what the label is.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 10:24 pm

Is it also funny? I want a sense of humour with my weird.

I just found this thread. Boy, Nurse with Wound even?
Joe, at some point it gets fuckin' hard to get more psych and more silly, doesn't it?
Once you swim way out it's tough to get back to shore.
I gotta get me some o' these recommendations. No Nurse though.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 10:52 pm

Joe, at some point it gets fuckin' hard to get more psych and more silly, doesn't it?

I just might die tryin', bro. And I hope I didn't just jynx mahse'f.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 11:10 pm

breakcore:

Doormouse
Main$tream
Society Suckers
DJ Scud
The Toilet - http://www.myspace.com/toiletpower
Passenger of Shit

etc...
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 11:11 pm

Also, you really liked that track by Retrigger I sent you. He's got more 60's garage/psyche breakcore stuff. Think some of it's even made vinyl now.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 11:22 pm

It's cool, but I want super rubbery stuff. No percussion that has a pattern, if any percussuion at all.
Posted: Sep 27, 2006 3:10 pm

Vulcan sounds like Chrome but noisier and more freaked.

got meet you're own ghost re-ish on its way via ebay. 15 clams
Posted: Sep 27, 2006 4:00 pm

Reissue LP's picked up last night at Rockit Scientist:

The Head Shop: mega fuzz, cracking drums, cool trippy noises all over it. Originally released on Epic!

Herbie Hancock- Sextant: lsd space station electronic jazz ooooozzzer.

Davie Allan and the Arrows- Cycle Delic: been wanting an orig forever, but finally broke down cuz I had a few extra dollars.

Can't remember the name of this other record: but it has Jerry Cole on it. It was an exploito psych record put out by RCA in '69. It is waaaaaaaaaay trippy and rubbery. I'll post the title tonight.

Ornette Coleman- Ornette on Tenor: I actually got an original mono mint copy for 15 quid. It was that or the reissue for 10. Tough call. NOT!

So I'm satisfied for the time being.
Posted: Sep 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Sextant and Crossings are my favorite Hancock albums.
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 12:24 am

Can't remember the name of this other record: but it has Jerry Cole on it. It was an exploito psych record put out by RCA in '69. It is waaaaaaaaaay trippy and rubbery. I'll post the title tonight.

Joyride- "Friend Sound"
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 12:43 am

Just got the Joyride 45 in here.
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 12:53 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

Which songs and how much?
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 6:32 am

couple of noise tracks on the sreamin mee-mees basement tapes had me blown last night

Nude Invisible Foot Phenomenon is an indespensible document to the ultimate entropy of civilization as we know it...

He used to get airplay on Dr. Demento. Fun Fact: Dr. Demento hails from St. Paul, Mn....
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 4:11 pm

THE CHEV!
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 6:13 pm

i know i'm late to this thread, but have you ever checked out exuma?
also, jimi hendrix will NEVER let you down when you want some trip. axis or ladyland.
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 9:13 pm

Yes, Jimi Hemdrix will never let you down because all that redundant jamming never ends. Those are, of course, great records, but not nearly as psychedelic funnical as what B.J. is lookin' for.
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 9:18 pm

Im telling you... this Joyride LP has one particualr effect that had my eyeballs crossing involuntarily.
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 9:35 pm

Joe,

You need to find 4 separate (mono) audio sources connected to four separate single speakers.
In a four corner room place each in a separate corner. On the first play "Third Reich & Roll" by the Residents. On the speaker directly diagonal, spin "Frank Talk About Humans" by Men's Recovery Project. On the 3rd corner, loop this. Then the fourth put on a Redd Foxx comedy album. Then lay down in the middle of the room, eat a box of ice-cream sandwiches, and enjoy.
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 9:40 pm

This could be improved: I need a speaker suspended above me and an anti-gravity belt so I can float with a speaker below me. I'll keep the ice cream sandwiches for sure!
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 10:01 pm

Or just get a sit & spin in the middle of the room. It even has a little table in the middle for the samajez too.
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 10:04 pm

Posted: Sep 28, 2006 10:14 pm

loop this.

or this: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/badgerphone.php

DOOD! You are so on the level.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 2:34 am

Posted: Oct 11, 2006 2:38 am | Edited by: red eyed willie

I need a speaker suspended above me and an anti-gravity belt so I can float with a speaker below me.

Complex solution for a simple problem.
Ever heard of a hammock?

...gettin' all unnecessarily Star Trek and shit.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 3:02 am

Ever heard of a hammock?

no no no... you still hav gravity on a hammock.

In other news, I got a FREE copy in the mail today of The Pink Floyd's "See Emily Play" b/w "The Scarecrow" on orig Columbia small hole 45 today in perfect condition. Life is good.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 3:04 am

http://intomadness.ytmnd.com/

To paraphrase eric o... woah.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 3:05 am

That's the stupidest buy ever. I have a friend who has "Dark Side of the Moon" on a GOLD CD. This one has GOLD in the CD!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 3:29 am

I know that's a joke and all, but have you ever heard "See Emily Play?"
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 2:00 pm

finally had a good chance to crank some records and blow some dope last night after a 4 day weekend outta town. the vulcan LP is AMAZINGING! thanks mike. also got chrome's red exposure which is probably the greatest psych record ever, at least is was last night. you know, when you spend big money on records...you get REALLY REALLY good records. take that haters!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 2:01 pm

syd barrett rules!
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 2:59 pm

The psych I've been listening to lately is...
Sonny Sharrock - "Peaceful", "Black Women"
Pinocchio and his Puppets - "Fusion"
Jesus and Mary Chain - "Never Understand"
Takehisa Kosugi - "Catch wave"

If you don't already you might find Op Art interesting -
http://www.mishabittleston.com/artists/bridget_riley/
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 3:30 pm

Posted: Aug 6, 2007 1:11 am

Im telling you... this Joyride LP has one particualr effect that had my eyeballs crossing involuntarily.

i've been meaning to make an mp3 of this forever so you all would know what kind of sound i'm talking about. still and always interested in more music of this caliber: http://www.divshare.com/download/1476638-0d7
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 3:16 am

Cough syrup, headphones, and music with a flanger. Your mind will survive and your approach to time will change. Or so I've heard.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 3:16 am

When it's late at night and I'm wasted (I'm talking completely irrational) and starving for some completely nutty sounds I can never seem to find anything psychedelic enough to listen too. I really want something completely over the top weird and not necessarily rock and roll nor free jazz. What do I need?

fela
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 3:48 am

i got plenty of fela, fella. i'm talking, like... exploito face-melt psych. check the example i posted maaaaaan. if you did your suggestion wouldn't have been so off the mark.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 4:08 am

Hey Bazooka Joe-
Do you have "How to Have A Freakout Party" by Unfolding? Audio Fidelity's attempt at an "Acid Rock" record.

Been waiting to locate one for about 8 years now. I do have the John Bunyan and his Progressive Pilgrims LP on Alshire. It's the same band as the group playing behind 101 Strings for the "Astro Sounds" LP. There's two songs in particular on there that never let me down.

here's one of those two john bunyan tracks: http://www.divshare.com/download/1478032-2f5
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 3:24 pm

are these links working for everybody? i set out one of them embedded into a myspace bulletin and a couple people said it didn't work. worked for me on a mac and a pc though.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 3:56 pm

Posted: Aug 6, 2007 4:11 pm

that's awesome.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 4:19 pm

the John Bunyan and his Progressive Pilgrims LP on Alshire. It's the same band as the group playing behind 101 Strings for the "Astro Sounds" LP.
The "Albatross" song on that record is really Fleetwood Mac.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 4:24 pm

did you listen to that "sabre dance?" yet?
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 4:24 pm

set stunners on phaaaaaaaase!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®