Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Last Man Standing Jerry Lee Lewis
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 8:33 pm

Anybody heard any of this? I've heard two full cuts and they are really good. Here's a link to a medley of the whole album:

http://www.takecountryback.com/jerrylee-lp.htm

Of all things, the Rod Stewart track is pretty good.

Who's been out to his place in MS? I've heard stories of the Killer greeting guests in his underwear. Of the original wave of 50's stars, my favorites have always been Jerry Lee, Litttle Richard and Chuck Berry. I've always put Elvis pretty far down the list.
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 8:40 pm

2002 -dogshit everywhere.
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 9:27 pm

Cochran wrote his own songs. he's definitely up there with them other cats.
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 9:30 pm

one of my faves - Johnny Burnette.
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 10:36 pm

anybody who puts down elvis desreves to have his rock an roll license revoked. elvis is the king. do you understand what that means??? the king is the top. everybody else is below the king. that includes my hero chuck berry who i spent a couplea hundred dollars to make sure my daughter saw as her first concert. if elvis was still alive i'd pay a thousand. jerry lee is way down on the list. he only wrote like two great songs. big shit. elvis coulda done that if he wanted. he was too busy gettin laid. elvis rules!!!
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 10:46 pm

that's what i'm sayin!!! an he only had two.
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 10:53 pm

the king is the top.

Does that make you the bottom, Fag?

If Elvis didn't have his momma diet pills to pass around, he'd still driving that electric company truck. That's the only reason he was allowed to hang out at Sun. Fuck, Charlie Rich is better than Elvis. Chuck Berry pisses all over Elvis.
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 10:55 pm

you are loser an now everybody knows.
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 11:10 pm

Elvis didn't write any of his tunes either - but I still think he's great.
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 11:11 pm

brad's a loser too. except everybody alredy knew.
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 11:55 pm

now i feel bad. you're not really a loser brad. you've had a tough life. you're a winner. you can do things. go buy yourself some non-light beer an the sun sesions or aloha from hawaii. i can't even get your gay podcasts to play on my new gaybook. talk about losers...
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 12:07 am | Edited by: dirk diggler

ithink i even like elvis's later stuff better at this point. james burton rules!!!

why the fuck don't you do computer shit??? you seem like quite the wiz...
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 12:45 am

You'd be surprised, brad.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:00 am

nobody gives a shit about education anymore. everybodys got an education. get a fuckin computer job. an in the mean time tell me what the fuck i need to do to be able to play those fuckin gaypun podcasts on my new gaybook einsten.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:03 am

Jerry's definitely the last of the million dollar quartet. He's got tons of great stuff. More than 2 songs. He's also one of the best performers I've ever seen. That said, Brad, the best singing, guitar playing, songwriting white man to walk into Sun studios was Carl Perkins. No ifs, ands or buts. Charlie Rich would be my next best favorite.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:24 am

that's what i was gonna say too. johnny cash was a giant. carl was a great guitar player an songwriter (ask the beatles) but hell, carl backed johnny up in the 60's. he'd probably agree. i saw johnny cash's last public performance w/ june carter at the bottom line. it was a really, really great night. it was an honor to see him. the place went nutzoid when he came out on stage an he says hello, i'm johhny cash...eveybody cracked up. johnny cash actually was what everybody thinks dylan is.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:29 am

Johnny Burnette smokes those Sun turds alive. His version of "Train Kept A'Rollin", "Tear it Up", "Rockabilly Boogie", "All By Myself"...that shit smokes anything on Sun. I get so sick of hearing about Sun records. Maybe if they played Johnny Burnette on the oldies station and not "Great Balls of Fire" (yawn) the world could rock a little harder.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:30 am

That Columbia LP is pretty good. He'd already stuck his hand in a fan at that point though, so his pickin' aint up to par with the sun stuff. His "her love rubbed off" is maybe the most psychotic thing ever cut at sun. His 1957 sun LP is one of the best albums I own.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:30 am

Then again I'm listening to THin Lizzy right now, so my taste might not be the best line marker with which one should judge rocknroll.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:42 am

the rock an roll trio rules!!!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:43 am

Cash was a better songwriter than Carl in the long run. My assesment of Carl was that he had the whole package. Vocal,Writer,Player. Cash wasn't much of a picker. Unfortunately, Carl was also a self-destructive alcoholic. This pretty much ground his career to a halt. But I guess that, his balding, and Lincolnish good looks kept him from making embarassing pop crap like Johnny Burnette. "Your sixteen" anyone? That said, The R'n'R Trio LP is one of the best Rockabilly albums of all time.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:53 am

carl perkins never cut anythi g remotely as wild as the tamest r an r trio cuts. everything they did was killer. an johnny cash was a great guitar player. you ever heard any of them american albums??? an everybodys overlookin the big o too. talk about geniuses...
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:06 am

Not so diggler, "her love rubbed off" is rawer and weirder than anything the trio cut. Cash can play acoustic rhythm guitar just fine. He never really progressed past that. Hence his need for Carl and Luther Perkins. No better or worse than Presley. Roy cut some good stuff for Sam but he matured as singer and songwriter by leaps and bounds after he left sun. Sam wanted him to be a pop rocker and kept him away from the big ballads that would've showcased his voice. Guess Sam didn't always have the best judgement.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:11 am

Roy was known to be a shoe gazer. Then he got the big dark shades. Nobody could tell what the hell he was lookin at.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:21 am

I heard the new JLL medley and I had to stop it fore Bruce came on and ruined my day.

Jerry's "Live at the Star Club" LP burns just about any record in any genre that you would wanna stack up against it. If you you haven't heard it, get it. I guarantee that you'll never hear music the same way again.

There's also a film called Don't Knock The Rock. Basically it's him live in England in 1962 (I think). If you think your band rocks, watch this.

I've seen him play about ten times and he's always amazing even when you know he's tossin' it off.

You won't catch me sayin' a bad thing about any of these guys, you know. I'm glad I got all of the records and had a chance to see a lot of them play.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:21 am

Carl's 'Movie Magg" is so great! Carl wants to take his girl to the picture show. Not in his Chevy, not in his old mans model A. On his fucking horse! WHICH HE JUST WASHED!!!!! Here's to you Carl! SALOO!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:29 am

My first concert was Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash. When I was 11 or 12 my folks took me.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:41 am

Unlike most things, I can remember that show real well. Carl was playing a Peavey guitar. The funny thing about Carl is how he's playing all different kinds of guitars in all of the early pics you see. I was reading a story about him and he was saying something about getting mad and smashing up his guitar and I thought, well that explains that.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:56 am

i've heard live at the star club many times. owned it but sold it. it's okay. it didn't change a fuckin thing about the way i listen to music. an johnny cash's solo guitar playin on the american recs is transcendent. chess was a better label than sun anyway.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:29 am

Well, I've plowed back through both LP's, Carl's and the Trio's, and I've come to a few conclusions. Carl is way more hillbilly. Just a lot more rural sounding, no less rocking. And though I love Paul Burlison, Carl's pickin flat out blows me away. Not to mention he's singing while he's playin that shit! And the guys voice... His version of "only you" will break yer heart. The Trio are more into the fast boogies. And they nail'em! And now for the rub. Burnette relys more on Elvisism's. Some songs are pretty much impersonations. Don't get me wrong, he's giving a 120%! He whoops and hollers it up. Carl's got the high lonesome sound. Johnny relys more on the excitement factor, cause honestly, the vocal chops leave a little to be desired for me. Both great rockin LP's, just different. Jerry Lee's 2 sun LP's are kinda hodge podge. Not very well put together I mean. Still some great stuff on'em. "high school confidential" is his best sun cut. Can anybody recomend another truly awesome Rockabilly LP from this time period? I really dig that first marvin Rainwater LP. There's lots of albums with a good cut or two but few have rockers that match the entensity of the rock'n'roll trio. By the way, the Orbison sun LP has overdubbed Anita Kerr singers. If you wanna hear it yer better off with a comp of the singles.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:39 am

Chess licensed sum of their best shit from sun. But yeah, it was a better label. Sun made mostly pop. Bad pop. And weak country. Some greats, but statistically they were out numbered. Chess made crap too, tons of it. Sam wanted to move into the pop world. Find another matinee idol he could sell. The Chess brothers were content with a specialty market. They didn't give a shit what it sounded like as long as it sold. Much like Sid Nathen. Now that there is the label of all labels and beats'em all hands down. KING.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 7:37 am

Star Club Lp. C'mon. You gonna tell me that doesn't blow blue cheer (talk about two good songs, one was a cover and I can't even think of the 2nd one) outta the fuckin' water. Why eat the crumbs when the cake is right in front of you. Suprised at you, Ned. Star Club rules!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 8:29 am

I love Carl's Sun stuff pretty much straight through, I can't think of a bad recording he made at Sun. The hillbilly stuff is some of my favorite country music ever. Turn Around, sweet Jeesuss, it's up there with Hank... even the poppy stuff like True Love, Goddam! He had it all.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:45 am

Charlie Feathers should be injected into this conversation. I dunno if it were his hiccup-y voice or what but he never caught on the way his peers did. He claimed to have written/arranged a bunch of Elvis' early hits, though that's the kinda thing a bitter guy who never "made it" might say. Everyone mentioned here is great, including Jerry Lee.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 12:00 pm | Edited by: Poot

trying to hip dick digger to anything is a losing proposition: he's wired to only credit an opinion or observation that he himself states first.

the way i see it, elvis was to rock 'n roll what - for example - blondie was to "punk": he bought a safer and similar-looking version of the genre to the ears of the masses.

that might make elvis the "king" to some, but it doesn't make him better or greater than berry, bo, jerry, vincent, little richard, etc., NOR does that make him suck. but jerry lee beats him for intensity, little richard for songwriting and theatricality, and berry for literally inventing the electric guitar as we know it.

without chuck berry there would have been no johnny thunders.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 12:15 pm

btw, that does NOT mean elvis=blondie
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 1:14 pm

The other record I put on a level with the afore mentioned monsters is the Joe Clay LP "Ducktail" on Bear Family. It's got Mickey Baker burnin the strings on half of it, the other half is the guy, whose name alludes me, from Starday playing some great stuff. The singing is awesome. Spastic and very energetic. Saw him twice in the late 80's. Incredibly nice guy. Ronnie Self is another of my favorites. I love Charlie Feathers...he's the MAN.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 1:26 pm

I meant "eludes" above.. Too early in the morning for picky grammar...
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 1:56 pm

i dig jerry lee don't get me wrong but my life wasn't changed by the star club album. maybe i should cop it again. dig the searchers live at the star club an the beatles live at the star club. the star club rules!!! but i'll admit this much the eraly clips a jerry lee show him to be the real antecedent of punk. totally outta control amped to the hilt r an r. an yeah lil richard deserves mention too even though he ripped everything off from esquerita. therre wouldn't have been the sonics w/out lil richard. he was the other real burner from that era. an he wrote a ton of great songs. him an chuck are the two best of the "five tool players" from the era.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:23 pm

I love the Star Club album. Jerry's piano playing is as good as any rock and roll instrumentalist ever in terms of energy and intensity. That shit is mind blowing.

The one guy I feel is over-looked is Eddie Cochran who put out a rediculous number of excellent songs (and was a first-rate guitarist) despite only making it to 21.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:41 pm

Eddie was so far ahead of his time in terms of sound and production too. Summertime Blues and Somethin' Else. Those records sound sooooo good to me. Earl Palmer plays drums on Somethin' Else.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:43 pm

This begs the question: If Elvis was still alive, what kind of music would he be putting out? Jerry Lee has still got it. I saw Chuck earlier this year and it was a fantastic disaster. Little Richard still puts on a good show. But neither Chuck or Little Richard has put out a real record in decades. Granted, there are some DUDS on the new Jerry Lee record. But there's also some relevant stuff. It's very much a "duets" record ala Santana or Ray Charles.

I love Elvis, but he is so over rated musically. As a pop culture phenom, he is unequalled by all except MAYBE the Beatles. He was the embodiment of the power and promise that we as Americans held in the 50's. In many ways, Elvis' meteoric rise and subsequent fall mirrored that of America. Both had SO much promise, but ultimately, both became sad, bloated charicatures of themselves.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:03 pm

I don't think Elvis was over rated musically. With all of the culture crap that surrounds him it's easy to overlook what a really great singer he was. The guy had some pipes on him up until the very end. He made tons of bad records, but he always could sing his ass off.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:09 pm

"five tool players"

?????? Need to know, what's this????
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:14 pm | Edited by: carney

If you really break it down, he is overrated. He could sing, but more importantly, he was really good looking. Not to take away from his legacy, he is the one who made rock and roll acceptable and marketable to white folks. But on a pure musical basis, Billy Lee Riley, Roy Orbison, Gene Vincent, Johhny Burnette, Charlie Feathers, etc, etc, are at least his equal. I still put Jerry Lee, Chuck, Little Richard, Cash, Perkins in a class above. Elvis was very much in the mold of the Sinatra, Crosby, Rudy Valley (sp?) as far as being a marketable matinee idol. By the time he landed on Columbia, he was no longer a cultural "threat". Was he the groundbreaker? Yes. Was he the best? Not in my opinion.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:24 pm

Before the big E kicked it he was making great records again. I think he woulda' finally come into his own. I'll haveta' check out more Joe Clay stuff. I only got one single.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:27 pm

Well I guess it comes down to who's doin' the ratin'. Most if not all of the (rocknroll) guys you mention probably wouldn't had gotten recorded or even played rock n roll if it wasn't for Elvis. The whole over/under rated thing gets into nebulous territory. It relies on impressions of an outside consensus. It gets in the way.

(It was RCA not Columbia).
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:50 pm

"ed" will you pls explain to these losers about late period elvis. the man could feel a song better than anybody. an who was a better entertainer wasted or straight than elvis. plus his bands were always first rate an kick ass by any standards. scotty moore, james burton. he didn't skimp. unlike every other rocker of his generation. elvis still cared up til his death. all the others stopped carin sometime in the early sixties. elvis is and always will be the king.

an andy your insolence vis a vis blue cheer will not be tolerated. their first two albums are the greatest psychedelic blues albums ever made. plus they were the coolest lookin band. the stooges were totally influenced by the cheer. they went marshall after openin for em. blue cheer rules!!!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:55 pm

Can anybody recomend another truly awesome Rockabilly LP from this time period?

My brother has a copy of the Dale Hawkins "Oh Suzie Q" LP. It's been years but I remember it being really good all the way through.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:58 pm

psychedelic blues

I like rock'nroll better.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:59 pm

(It was RCA not Columbia).

Yep, you're right. And I will agree with dd that Elvis' bands were always great. The later band with Jim Keltner and James Burton was right on.

Most if not all of the (rocknroll) guys you mention probably wouldn't had gotten recorded or even played rock n roll if it wasn't for Elvis. The whole over/under rated thing gets into nebulous territory

If have to disagree with this. As far back as the 40's there were proto-rnr acts that had that sound. But not the look. Prior to Elvis, i would guess that the majority of rockabilly fans were guys. When the little girls started buying records, they knew they had something special.

It is nebulous, this is my opinion. Yours is equally valid. Next topic:

Beatles vs. Stones. Stones, no contest.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:14 pm

all the others stopped carin sometime in the early sixties.

Jerry Lee STILL brings his own band to gigs. Most of them have been with him since the 70's. Kenny Lovelace has been there since at least the late 60's. They know all of his tunes and if he feels like doing a Jimmie Rodgers song or a Hank Williams song or anything else they're right there with him. James Burton has been playing with Jerry for at least 10 years now.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:22 pm

He's the ying to Jerry's yang.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:27 pm

Jerry Lee STILL brings his own band to gigs

Chuck Berry never does. Except he dragged his daughter and son on stage with him. She oversang and eventually stormed off pissed. Charles Berry Jr, on guitar, could not even play a simple solo when Chuck threw him one. The promoter had put together a great band to back him and Chuck only used the drummer and the piano player. Chuck was changing keys in the middle of the songs. It was still great.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:33 pm | Edited by: andy

I've seen Chuck twice. The 1st time was without a doubt the greatest rocknroll show I have ever seen. It was at Madison Square Garden and he had the whole fuckin place bouncing up and down, I swear to God even the cops were dancing. The 2nd time was pretty much the exact opposite. He didn't play one song all the way through. It was pathetic.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:37 pm

Is B.B. Cuningham still playing with Jerry too? BB fronted the Hombres of "let it all hang out". He's closer to Jerry's generation in age though. His song "bandstand" on the cover label is awesome! 58 I think.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:42 pm

Beatles vs. Stones.

dear god, no.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:44 pm

Yeah B.B.'s still with him as far as I know. He was with Jerry last time I saw him. He did a great set at the Ponderosa Stomp, with James Burton on guitar.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:46 pm

Is B.B. Cuningham still playing with Jerry too?

Sorry, I feel like I have to post this any time his name is brought up. Inside B.B.'s studio (well, it was his studio)...

http://www.thesonsabitches.com/music/mogoose.jpg
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:52 pm

I saw Chuck earlier this year and it was a fantastic disaster.

I try to see him whenever I can - because of the amazing body of work and the completely unpredictable nature of his show. I hate it when his daughter sings. She does indeed, as carney says, oversing. Chuck makes it look effortless, and maybe for him it is...she tries too hard.

Now available on DVD is the movie Hail! Hail! Rock n Roll. JLL and Little Richard just throw away the best one-liners that are so deep about themselves, their histories, Elvis, Chuck and who was who, who was doing what and each of them proclaiming their own greatness. Its priceless and interesting to watch again 20 years later.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:53 pm | Edited by: andy

B.B. Cuningham

He's one tripped out dude. I wish I woulda had the guts to talk to him at the Stomp. He was ON. It seemed like everything he said on stage between songs was just like on Let It All Hang Out. Crazy stream of concious (non) sense.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:58 pm

Another awesome thing about B.B.'s studio, is that it was all in the same building as his other business (a collection agency). From the road, it looks like any other non-descript small-agency office bldg. The front three rooms were literally that, with desks and phones, and old people still smoking in their chairs while filling out papers. Then you go out the door, and voila. Awesome studio with all kinds of cool rock n' roll memorabilia.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:00 pm

his other business (a collection agency)

Jeezus.

Did you work with him?
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:04 pm

Naw, I spent about a year and a half in that studio, working on another project. I got my penchant for swapping jokes from him.

Dear Memphis Venture Capitalists,
Loan me the money to buy B.B. Cunningham's old studio back from the crunksters who operate it now. Profit plan would work out over five years. e-mail me!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:08 pm

Live at The Star Club is the greatest rock n roll record ever made. And Touching Home is one of the greatest country records ever made.

I've seen him 4 times; once at Dollywood with Carl Perkins, once at the Ryman in Nashville, then again for a TV taping at the Ryman (where he did The Old Rugged Cross with just him at the piano alone), and last spring at Memphis in May. With one foot in the grave, he's still more punk than any punk who ever lived.

Lovelace is married to Linda Gail. He also used to play amazing fiddle on Jerry's country stuff. I like his fro and his SG. What do you want, a duck's ass and a Gretsch?
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:18 pm

RS backed BB once and i gotta say it was one of the most memorable shows I ever played! He was real fun to hang out with too. Lotsa' soul and funk fans don't know it but he also produced the "Maceo and the kings men" LP on the house of fox label. Maceo's first solo effort away from James Brown. Cut right there at Sounds of Memphis.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:23 pm

Does any body know who played piano during B.B.'s set at the Stomp? He was a younger guy who was featured for most of the set. He was doin a straight up Jerry Lee impersonation and he was really good.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:26 pm

I love the Jerry Lee record Southern Roots produced by Huey Meaux. They were all drunk as skunks and Meaux keeps yellin at Jerry Lee and vice versa. It's a rockin record. Great out-takes on the Bear Family box set from that sesion. I got all the Bear Family box sets on Jerry Lee, so i guess that tells you how much I like him. I love Elvis too. Early and late period. Dana Hatch saw him live twice in the late 70's and said the second time was better than the first despite people saying that it was a constant downward spiral. They both tower above. Jerry Lee Lewis had his mid period too, when he was a country singer. He is a GREAT country singer. Live at the Star Club is a mother humper as Jerry would say.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:27 pm

I Wasn't there. Maybe Jason D. Williams. Thats kinda his thing.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:31 pm | Edited by: ed oblivian

Think about it darlin!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Great out-takes on the Bear Family box set from that sesion

I love where Huey asks Jerry for some "Creedence" and Jerry is totally offended. He Just goes, "CREEDENCE? CREEEEEDENCE?!?!?!" , over and over.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:32 pm

Maybe Jason D. Williams

yes, and i missed it. i heard it was amazing
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:36 pm

RS backed BB once and i gotta say it was one of the most memorable shows I ever played!

I was gonna mention this. Real cool guy. "It's a Gas," for sure.

That was the night I literally bumped into Cybil Sheppard walking into E&H, for what it's worth.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:37 pm | Edited by: andy

i heard it was amazing

Yeah, he was great, he really got the rest of the band going, too.

That's B.B. doing It's A Gas?!?!?!?!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:37 pm

I literally bumped into Cybil Sheppard
Did she yell at you?
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:39 pm

Did she yell at you?

Didn't say one word, actually. Course, that bigass scarf she had on might have prevented her from speaking much.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:40 pm

I've got some more pictures of that studio, somewhere. For the record, the taxidermed Cobra-Mongoose strugle was permanently implanted between the the panes of glass, separating the control room and the main room.

Not a single e-mail yet from the venture capitalists...
Fuckers.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:41 pm

taxidermed Cobra-Mongoose

sixteene made me get rid of mine.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:42 pm

What about the Jerry Lee gospel record where he inserts his name into almost every song. Classic! "There will be peace in the valley for old Jerry Lee..." HA....
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:50 pm

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before, but, Speaking of Jerry Lee, my grandparents lived down the street from him in MS. I don't think they ever met (my grandfather had no use for rock n' roll), but one day this old, crazy man who lives in Memphis named Prince Mongo showed up at at their place (my grandfather had named the place "Belly Acres"), looking for Jerry. This crazy man was carrying a cane, had long hair, a pink feather boa, and sunglasses. My grandfather immediately got his shotgun.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:51 pm

sixteene made me get rid of mine.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:14 pm

When JLL is on stage it doesn't really matter who else is up there. Long as they know the tunes, and can stay out of the way.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 10:41 pm

Anyone wanna inform a guy where he can get that Jerry Lee Lewis bootleg where he talks about being worried that rock n roll is leading him "away from the path of righteousness"?
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:17 am

What do you want, a duck's ass and a Gretsch?
hell yeah if it can play some rockabilly guitar. lovelace's style aint even remotely rockabilly

cmon, it's country. maybe you just don't like country.

And I absolutely agree; it really is, the fabulous, most beautiful, I mean really swinging, Star Club. People who don't get it.. well...
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:39 am

weird. i just put jerry lee in and saw this thread.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:40 am

"away from the path of righteousness"?

It's on the Bear Family Box and one of the Charly box sets and at least one single album boot I remember from the early 80's. But here it is if you just wanna listen to it now.

http://www.moistworks.com/media/JerryLeeLewis_Religion.mp3
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:02 am

Thanks!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:42 am

hmmm?? nobody mentioned the Everly Brothers
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 6:04 am

This was a skit on Saturday Night Live about 25 years ago involving Elvis' jacket...he's still hiring the best musicians, Dirk. Hope to see ya there--you'll be pleasantly surprised to know it's a lot less than 1000$

ELVIS: THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT' COMING TO FEDEXFORUM AUG. 16, 2007; TICKETS ON SALE SATURDAY, SEPT. 16
09-11-2006

Memphis, Tennessee The King of Rock and Roll is returning to Memphis! 'Elvis: The 30th Anniversary Concert' will 'shake, rattle and roll' its way into FedExForum on Thursday, Aug. 16, 2007 at 8 p.m. Tickets for the event will go on sale Saturday, Sept. 16 at Noon.

The show features the real Elvis Presley via video along with a cast of singers and musicians who worked with Presley during his career. Booked to appear are Joe Guercio (musical director & conductor); the TCB Band: James Burton (lead guitar), Glen D. Hardin (piano), Jerry Scheff (bass guitar), and Ronnie Tutt (drums); Sweet Inspirations members Myrna Smith and Estelle Brown; Imperials members Terry Blackwood and Joe Moscheo; Stamps members Bill Baize and Larry Strickland; Jordanaires members Gordon Stoker and Ray Walker; D.J. Fontana (drums) and Millie Kirkham (soprano). Other artists may be added as the show date nears.

Tickets are $50.00, $70.00 and $90.00. Also available are a limited number of $250.00 VIP tickets that include "guaranteed best seats in the house" for the concert, access to a private VIP reception room before and after the concert to enjoy beverage service and heavy hors d'oeuvres, an opportunity to mingle with the cast in the reception room and a special gift package of commemorative concert merchandise.

All tickets are subject to convenience and handling charges and are available at the FedExForum box office, all Ticketmaster outlets, online at www.ticketmaster.com, or charge-by-phone at 901-525-1515.

For more information on the event visit www.elvis.com or www.fedexforum.com.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 6:11 am

That's gross, sherman. Someone get Iron Maiden in there, instead.

It'll make more money than that ilk.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 6:13 am

Well, at least it will sell out, instead of that "event".
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:09 pm

i guess it blows my mind that you losers don't like elvis the way it must blow your mind that i don'y care about third rate oblivs tribute bands. weird. an andy five tools is a baseball term for bein able to do everything-run, throw, hit for power, hit for average an field. i was usin it in reference to the chuck berrys an litle richards of the world-play, sing, write, entertain an look good. sadly carl anjerry lee would be left oof this list.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:25 pm

five tools
Thanks, I never heard it used before. I like it. Being a five tools player is a rare thing.

sadly carl anjerry lee would be left oof this list.

+ Elvis too.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:34 pm

elvis gets a pass. like i said he coulda written tunes if he wanted too but he was too busy gettin laid. besides he's the king. elvis rules!!!
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:37 pm

Elvis made about two dozen sides between '54-'56 that are as good or better than anything anybody ever did, ever. But after that, it's 20 years of complete drudgery, with a few flashes of greatness. With a great producer, he was great (Phillips, Atkins, Moman). With an average producer, he was terrible.

Jerry Lee on the other hand can hardly even be "produced". He's a force of nature. He didn't start making "so-so" records until the late 60's, in my opinion, and even then his singing transcended the material and the production.

And in some ways, his singing improved over time, something that almost never happens with rock n rollers; his vocal on "She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye" is as good as anything George Jones ever sang. In the 70's, he really started to get that Old Testament-quality to his voice, which makes even stuff like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" sound intense.

Even though it's true that Chuck, Carl, and those guys were great writers, none of them had the virtuoso singing chops that Jerry had. Even Elvis didn't have the range and versatility that Jerry did.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:55 pm

I appreciate Elvis for who he was and what he did, dirk; it has more to do with the fact of living in Memphis all my life and having Elvis shoveled on you constantly. I've heard a lot of his music. I'm just not in any huge rush to go and buy anything.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:26 pm

But after that, it's 20 years of complete drudgery
Edge of insanity is an amazing song - the horns !
Fuck it if Elvis isn't the king.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 7:24 pm

2002 -dogshit everywhere.

says it aint out till 9/26... dogshit. pfft.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:05 pm

JERRY LEE appearing at SPIN STREET next tuesday... 7:30... autographing posters!

WHOAH!
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:16 pm

i heard it's a free show too!
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:21 pm

JERRY LEE appearing at SPIN STREET next tuesday... 7:30... autographing posters!

WHOAH!

I saw this when I was driving by on Highland last week but promptly forgot about it since it seemed so improbable.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:43 pm

did i miss where someone mentioned billy lee riley?
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:59 pm

sonny burgess is such a bad ass. god, i love that dude. he was all over the place and the Stomp
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 11:22 pm

narvelle felts was the real genius of the scene.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 12:29 am

I love Sonny Burgess. Great guitar player too! Is Narvelle Narvel's sister?...just kiddin'....
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 12:38 am

Narvel's drummer was the man. Matt Lucas baby!
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 12:44 am

Don't forget about Charlie Hodge!!!! In charge of scarves & water!
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 3:44 am

Matt Lucas...that's one crazy mother fucker...Ooby Dooby by Matt Lucas rules!
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:10 pm

you guys are just makin this stuff up now, right???
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:28 pm

You should check out Matt Lucas' stuff Dirk. You'd dig it, my favorite singing drummer of all time! Roland recorded Matt doing "I'm moving on" for his Rita label and it became a fluke hit. Got picked up by Smash. They did a month long engagement at the peppermint lounge. Narvel found himself backing his drummer. Not to cool when you kinda think of yourself as a star. Don't know if this next bit is true (this was told to me by Bobby Lee Trammell's drummer)but Matt started smoking dope and drinking a lot. Narvel and the band ditched him in NY with a weeks worth of dates left. He cut more stuff for Smash and DOT. He even cut a couple soul sounding records for the Karen label (capitols). One of'em goes for $1000.00 with soul collectors.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:33 pm

Matt Lucas was the wildest at the Stomp in '04. Some guy that looks like a church deacon sits behind the kit and can and can't play for shit. Animalistic!
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:34 pm

i take it you mean the 60's peppermint lounge an that they weren't playin w/ the bush tetras or somethin.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:37 pm

TOO MANY CREEPS.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:41 pm

fuck!!! i just heard jerry lee doin led zeps' rock an roll!!! woohoo!!! when the hell is that from??? what record??? i gotta get that. you guys are right he fuckin rules. carry me back carry me back carry me back (to louisiana)...i guess he don't need to write a lot when you can rock it like that. that mofo is loose. my favorite jerry lee story is when he an chuck got in an argument about who was the king of rock an roll an got into a fight. chuck kicked his ass an jerry lee said i guess he's the king...
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:51 pm

Was that right after "top that, nigger"?
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:56 pm

it's from the new one, last man standin. the cover has flameballs comin outta his piana. fuck!!! this is gonna rule. this could be one of the greatetst fall hrvets of all time...
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:59 pm

There was a Matt Lucas re-iss of his 60's material. It came out on Charly in the early 80's. Someone should put that out again.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Was that right after "top that, nigger"?

I assume you are referring the time he had to open for Chuck Berry (or was it Little Richard?) on a package tour in the early 60's. Killer- none too happy with his slot on the show- kicked out his set and for a finale lit his piano on fire using lighter fluid. This was supposedly his quote on walking off stage.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:18 pm

i wonder if that new jerry lee is gonna be on vinyl???
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:22 pm

That's the quote. I thought he was awesome last year. He's not looking too healthy, but that's to be expected. Still has crazy charisma. A little sloppy compared to the glory years but what are ya gonna do? "Hellfire" is packed with classic Jerry Lee quotes.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:36 pm

my favorite singing drummer of all time!

even more than phil collins or don henley?
wierd
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:48 pm

weird!!! hah caught ya. smartass.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 6:23 pm

do you ever fuckin work anymore or are ya just livin off yer wife an gullible internet losers now??? why don't you go to the post office an mail those records that the losers sent ya money for so you could see devo. everybody better start savin up for brad now. xmas is comin.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 6:26 pm

BRAD XMAS
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 6:44 pm

your pal fagmeister makes a whole fifteen dollars an hour. maybe he'll pay it for ya.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 7:29 am

yeah hellfire is a great book.

I thought it kinda sucked, like Tosches was just going through the motions. I heard better stories about JLL myself than were in the book. And his book about Sonny Liston sucked, too.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 8:17 am

narvelle felts
he be playin the Vegas rockabilly thing this easter
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 10:27 am

about Sonny Liston sucked, too
how about his book about Dino?
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 10:28 am

I liked his book about opium
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 11:02 am

" his vocal on "She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye" is as good as anything George Jones ever sang."

Nobody can touch Jones. Nobody.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 1:44 pm

I liked his book on Dino. I guess I just wanted some bigger-than-life work on JLL to match what I perceive as his greatness.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 2:22 pm

Nobody can touch Jones. Nobody.

Nobody but the Killer.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 6:52 pm

My brother has a copy of the Dale Hawkins "Oh Suzie Q" LP. It's been years but I remember it being really good all the way through.

Absolutely. A fantastic record.
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 11:09 pm

If there could be a king of rock n' roll, it would be Jerry Lee.
The Star Club record is evidence. His intensity is unmatched by anyone else of his day, and barely matched by few since. The last time I saw Jerry Lee Lewis (now about 73 yrs old) it was with Little Richard and Chuck Berry. Triple header.
Chuck Berry = Yawn, except for some nice guitar twanging.
Little Richard = Slick, professional and predictable.
Jerry Lee = Out of control, unfinished songs, messed up lyrics and fire.
The bouncers had to chase him off the stage 'cause he
wouldn't stop when his time was up.
The time I saw him before that, he finished by breaking off the lid of the baby grand he was playing then kicking the piano bench right off the stage.
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 11:27 pm

"Suzie Q" by Dale Hawkins can be listened to over and over and over again.....
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 1:15 am

That whole Norton reissue LP of Dale Hawkins which includes Susie Q. could never be listened to enough.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®