Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / which came first....the asshole or the record company?
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 8:32 pm

is it that it's mostly assholes who start record labels or does the operation of said record label turn someone into an asshole (asshole= lying thieving ways here)

just seems like the percentages are pretty up there no matter what...major/indie/punk/grindcore/garage/blues/etc
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 8:39 pm

out of all the record label people i know personally (about 6), only one is an asshole. though another one is dumb. another one lazy. and another one has extremely out-dated taste.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 8:39 pm

well you might not know of all the shady things they do in private

not everything is on the goner board
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 8:40 pm

Guitar Shop Assholes came first.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 9:33 pm

Sound guy asshole. They usually work up to it, although some seem to be born that way.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 9:42 pm

"You will find that the terms "record label executive" and "madman" are interchangable."

-Eugene Chadbourne
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 11:12 pm

Ned Hayden got us our first deal.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 12:52 am

soundguys at clubs are the worst assholes.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 1:04 am

It would make sense that musicians think label owners are assholes. For one thing, they have enough money to release records, that always pisses broke ass musicians off. Then they don't even play an instrument worth a damn themselves, which makes musicians suspicious. Then there is the whole getting only a percentage of the records that you recorded.

Probably a good thing that they exist though, otherwise there'd be no records.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 3:14 am | Edited by: slashkbdpunk

It would make sense that musicians think label owners are assholes. For one thing, they have enough money to release records, that always pisses broke ass musicians off. Then they don't even play an instrument worth a damn themselves, which makes musicians suspicious. Then there is the whole getting only a percentage of the records that you recorded.

Most of the label owner that i personally know are people with very few money with low income.I don't consider myself a label owner yet altough i'm working on some releases right now,and believe me i have one of the lowest income someone can have.The reason i can afford the put records out is that i NEVER go out,i basically never leave the house.I don't spend money hangin out in bars.I hate to go out and it saves me lots of money.I don't buy clothes either.I have 2 pair of pants and a few t-shirt that i paid 3.00$ each.People give me clothes.I have the same pair of shoes for years and the only pair of boots i have are the one i got in 1988! I only buy records and cheap food and beer.That way i can come up with some saving rapidly.I also manage to have some tricks(Illegal) to get fast money.And i don't think "underground" people with record labels are rich either.Maybe a few exception.

Also,i was thinking of all the record label owner that i know of and they are almost all musicien themselves.Rip offs records owner is a good musicien,Chris Dodge from Slap a ham played with stikky,Spazz...,Shattered records owners are both musiciens,Rave up records owner is a musicien too,Kryptonite records owner (Roy,Wendy and Brad) are all musicien,Damaged goods in the uk is owned by Billy Childish,Scott at SS records is also a musicien,that girl at Shit sandwich is also a musicien,pretentious revisionist at Havoc records Felix Von Havoc is also a "musicien"...i could come up with many more.I myself am a musicien too and i barely can afford to buy musical equipment!

I started a label 10 years and i only put out one cd by an unknown band i had faith in.I said no contract and told them that the only thing i wanted them to do is NOT to broke up before i had come back in the money i invested which they didn't respect! But i guess some people (NOT you Banned!) would call me asshole because i was hoping to make a few dollars in the end.

I am very happy when bands AND record labels are making good money out of music.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 3:21 am | Edited by: slashkbdpunk

I guess you guys are confusing record label owner with manager! A few years ago i saw a guy i know and i knew he wasn't a musicien.He handed me a flyer saying "We are playing next week...".I was a bit surprised and asked him what he was playing in the band and he proudly answered "I'm the manager!".I laughed and left without adding anything.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 3:49 am

i have one pair of pants and have been wearing the same pair of shoes since i got married last june. i dont know what happened to my underwear either so ive been going commando for a few weeks now.

And you managed to put out the Evolutions/Fatals 7"! So,one can be a broke ass and still put out records!
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 4:41 am

well of course there's exceptions, but that's not the point

I mean not every post apocalyptic future has a feral child with a razor sharp boomerang either, but in my mind they do

and that's what's important
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 8:00 am

(Waves hand in the air) Uhh...helloooo guys? Not every record label head is an asshole. Some of us are very caring and let bands sleep over for as long as they need a place to stay. Even sharing our beds, our hot tubs, our bath tubs, whatever. So...if you're looking for a label...fax me.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 8:32 am

The asshole came 1st. Many religions refer to said asshole as "god."

As for me, I tried to take care of the bands as much as I could, but I did a dbl 7" with a full color, glossy, triple gatefold sleeve that left me penniless for putting out records. I gave 100 to the bands, promo'd about 200 & had almost 700 left after I sold 20 or so. It broke me badly. One of the band members threatened to sue me, so I offered to send him all remaining copies except for my personal handful, freight collect. I've not heard from him regarding this since.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 9:29 am

I'm a happy panda.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 9:43 am

Nanne you're a Euro so no one gives a shite about you at all

fuck off toot sweet
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:13 am

Childish doesn't own Damaged Goods, a guy called Ian Damage does ...

I ran a small label of me own for a while, and basically worked a day job and didn't go out to pay for pressing stuff. If you're up-front with bands about how you fund things, and show 'em all the figures, s'kool. I never had any complaints from bands. I lost money, but had a lotta fun. Am damn proud of a coupla releases, so much so that I've given most of the copies I had away over the years, and now only have a couple left! Sad thing is, a lotta bands don't understand the basic maths behind running a small label, and kinda act like kids, thinking you're their musical parents, and that you have bottomless pockets ...
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:54 am

As for me, I tried to take care of the bands as much as I could, but I did a dbl 7" with a full color, glossy, triple gatefold sleeve that left me penniless for putting out records. I gave 100 to the bands, promo'd about 200 & had almost 700 left after I sold 20 or so. It broke me badly. One of the band members threatened to sue me, so I offered to send him all remaining copies except for my personal handful, freight collect. I've not heard from him regarding this since.

I have this record, but.....I didn't pay for it.

Sorry, dude.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 3:07 pm

in opposition to the thread's topic, i'd like to say thanks to anyone who took their time and money to put out music. it's not always easy to work with bands (as is all group work), though mostly its a great experience that everyone can benefit from.

thanks eric. thanks alix/jay. and everyone else who takes a risk with something they believe in.

quit your bitchin mark.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 3:24 pm

Last summer 3 different, amazingly cool artists asked me to start a label and put out their records.....I investigated, crunched the numbers and came the conclusion that the only thing dumber economically than owning a record store is starting a label....God bless all who do it....
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 3:57 pm

I ran a label nearly ten years ago now. I put out one 7" by a couple of my friend's bands. I'm obviously not a fat, rich asshole who can't play an instrument. I was homeless and in two bands when I released it. I just released my own 7" a few months ago.

Anyway, I was obviously playing off of stereotypes, of course they're not always true.

Also, Nanne, if people think your prices are too high, fuck 'em, they don't have to buy it then. Fuckin' record collector's pay hundreds of dollars for records anyway. Once they hear enough stuff back and realize that it's a worthwhile record to own, they'll buy it. Right?
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 5:05 pm

Last summer 3 different, amazingly cool artists asked me to start a label and put out their records.....I investigated, crunched the numbers and came the conclusion that the only thing dumber economically than owning a record store is starting a label....God bless all who do it....

I'd also like to point out that even with the economic problems and Katrina a big part of me wishes that I would have done it anyway....although I'm happy for the artists that all 3 put out their releases on more reputable, non-refugee labels
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 9:58 pm

quit your bitchin mark.

what else is the innernetz for?

and look, I'm sorry you people take everything so serious
I expect that from Euros but some of you are gosh darn red blooded USAans, and still you couldn't find your sense of humor if it was crammed up your ass with 5 lbs of C4. Don't confuse it with Smillas Sense of Snow either.

I was trying to start up a friendly flamewar between a certain person I know and another person I don't that runs a record label...that's it.

ENTERTAINMENT FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!
but you losers had to ruin it for everyone

Nanne I'll meet you on the beaches of Normandy and chop your stupid head off with my government issued can opener
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 8:55 am

Nanne you're a Euro so no one gives a shite about you at all

Off topic : Can you stop yer silly Yankee vs Euro game ? This never was an issue here (you have better bands, we got better beer, we can live with that). Keep it that way.

And "record companies" ? You have to be a total loser to call one of the small labels (with 20-30 diff. items, at best) a "record company".

"Lying, thieving ways", hahaha, just got the joke!
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 9:15 am

Can you stop yer silly Yankee vs Euro game

(was aimed at Mark Beef)
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 9:21 am | Edited by: Mark Beef

I don't believe I started the Euro/american tripe but I damn sure can finish it

I hate Euros...they've ruined everything that was ever good in this world...METALLICA used to be a great band till Cliff Burton(USA!USA!USA!) died and they got the stupid Euro bass player fill ins

Jason Newsted (English)
Bob Rock(Canadian)
that funky dude from Infectious Grooves (Peruvian)

then they try and foist shit like Kelly Osbourne(Austrailian) and Paris (french) Hilton on us

plus they don't know how to put fucking ice cubes in drinks or how to make a proper Filet-O-Fish sandwich at McDonalds

as for your tourists, it's funny you try to say they're anything but euros cause we have that scum here too and they are all euros.
Florida tried to teach those scum a lesson back in the day, but it seems you fucking ponces couldn't get it thru your stupid zipperheads

Now we will try again with Velveeta Cheese Swords raised high
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 9:34 am

in George W Bush's name, Amen
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 11:46 am

I will not let this euro offense be taken lightly

it is BOO BOO BEE DOO
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 2:40 pm

Also the friggin Euro is so strong now versus the Dollar that we can't afford to visit there anymore.....or live of our meager pensions in Ireland or Portugal....
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 2:59 pm

i like american beer like yueng ling an canadian beer like molson golden an moosehead better than any euro brew. i hadda pint of stella the other day an it was okay. not bad. but i don't like all that becks, grolsch, heineken shit. gives ya a really bad hangover too. i'm stickin w/ north america's two oldest brewerys. what are you drinkin???

an seriously europe is a joke musically. as is every other country compared to america. america rules!!!
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 3:12 pm

I was going to post "Hey! I'm not an asshole!" but then I realized "Hey! Yes I am!"
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 3:18 pm

fucking ponces couldn't get it thru your stupid zipperheads

a guy in ATL started a label called ponce de leon records...named after one of our bigger inner city roads named after the dude. i don't think anyone told him ponce = fag, but then i'm just being immature..
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 3:43 pm

It doesnt matter where you are, beer is great in any language. Yay for beer!
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 4:21 pm

Quit whining. We put out two records ourselves (broke-ass teeny tiny band nobody gives a shit about outside the city-proper and most people within could give a fuck either) just cause we wanted records. We'll do it again soon. We made no money and gave away most that we pressed because we'd be sitting on a mountain of them collecting dust-well, not a "mountain", we didn't press that ambitiously, but we certainly wanted them out there. I think anybody that wants to dump a shit ton of money (let's face it-no matter if you press 100 7"ers or 5000 Lp's it's gonna cost ya) in some band just because they like them (nobody does it for personal gain, unless they're naiive) is alright in my book. The age-old tradition is that art, no matter what it is, is expensive to produce and almost never a lucrative investment. It's usually a huge waste of time and money, which is fun, which is the way it's supposed to be. Just be glad your band has a record out at all, or if you don't have a band, that there's records for you to collect (and some of you profit hugely from selling the shit on ebay). I'd never sue someone that put out my record-talk about throwing a lump of your own crap in the face of someone that fed you some bananas. It would be different if it was some huge monster label trying to legally take your band away from you, but we're obviously not talking about that kind of label.

I'm sorry for all the hostility (Euro vs. USA) you guys feel toward each other. You sound like a bunch of senile old men arguing at a WWII reunion or something. have fun beating the shit out of each other.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 4:37 pm

Also, I am rich.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 4:41 pm

Also, I am rich

then hurry up and get those Baby Shakes, BBQ, and Angry Angles records out.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 4:46 pm

Oh wait, I'm not!

To pull a Bradx, I have the babyshakes ready to go but I am broke so everyone should buy Shit Sandwich records RIGHT NOW so I can send it to the plant!
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 4:46 pm | Edited by: mikesniper

Tim Livingston, Tim Warren, Billy Miller and Miriam Linna are 4 exceptions. But they do reissues, so.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 4:48 pm

Oh wait, I'm not!

To pull a Bradx, I have the babyshakes ready to go but I am broke so everyone should buy Shit Sandwich records RIGHT NOW so I can send it to the plant!

I said I wanted to wholesale the entire SS catalog for Academy in Brooklyn. Your distro's are out of stock on them. Sell them direct to us.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 4:49 pm

they do reissues, so.

crypt an norton put out new recs too, fag.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 4:51 pm

Mike, email me what you want and I'll send it out.

info@shitsandwichrecords.com

Which distros are out of stock?
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 5:03 pm

what are you drinkin???

Duvel man. DUVEL!!
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 8:07 pm

Holy shit. It's a foregone conclusion that American beer is fizzy piss for little girls and faggots (i.e., Americans). Maybe it's good for washing sperm out of Uncle Sam's Van Dyke beard... I'm sure it's good enuff to get you hillbillies 'n' pussies drunk, tho.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 8:11 pm

Who's Tim Livingston?

WAIT! Nevermind, I don't give a fuck.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 8:35 pm

crypt an norton put out new recs too, fag.

Tim is "done with new bands." Norton is obviously predominantly reissue.

How fucked up of me to speak in generalities. It seems to have done something to my sexuality....o0o0....wait. I've gone GAY!

Thanks Ned, sorry Sara.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 8:45 pm

Welcome to the club. First order of business, we need to get you some new shoes! Oooh, I love shopping. Come with me!
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 9:44 pm

then hurry up and get those Baby Shakes, BBQ, and Angry Angles records out.

this is news to me...
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 10:42 pm

maybe they tapped your phone
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 10:48 pm

i hope so
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 10:53 pm

pre-orders now

BBQ "Phone Sessions" ep
hear Mr Sultan's new hits "I'd Like to Order a Pizza" and "Take Me off Your List". Listen to the raw emotion of "I'll Be Over Soon".
limited quantities on invisible vinyl
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 11:01 pm

hahaha.
misconstrue his words and intent instantly on this cyber-slab o wax. on misdirected hate coloured vinyl.
Posted: Sep 9, 2006 3:06 am

need a place to stay
but is it non smoking and do it have air con?
you twisted vegan
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®