Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / shopping in montreal and toronto !?
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 5:35 pm | Edited by: alix

Gonna be in both places this weekend - where is there to shop? thrift stores? vintage stores? record stores? good food? this is my first time to actually have time to spend up there, so I am excited. Guides are welcome.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 5:36 pm | Edited by: alix

oh, you can email me with info: alix.brown@gmail.com or www.myspace.com/heartofchrome
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:13 pm

Hey- I'm goin' there too! But, like, today. Anything cool I should see (shopping can wait)?
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 12:38 am

Here's thread on Toronto record stores:

http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&to pic=17393&page=0#msg249646

In Montreal the best record store by far is Sonik at Duluth & Berri. There's also Primitive & Beatnick, both on St.-Denis near Des Pins.

Shows midweek in Toronto:

Wednesday - Boyfriend Material with Megaband 2 - the Boat - PWYC
Thursday - Tuff Luvs, Ugly Stick, Dangerloves - White Orchid - $5
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 1:45 am

Kensington Market has tonnes of thrift stores. Its between College and Dundas, and west of Spadina. There's also lots of good food in the area. What days are you going to be around?
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 4:43 am

i'll be there friday - tuesday ... thanks for the info
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 5:23 am

Where is Kensington Market? Toronto?
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 5:17 pm

Yeah, Kensington Market's in Toronto. Big thumbs up from any out of towners I've brought there. It's adjacent to Chinatown which is a different kind of fun. I always send people down to Queen Street...start out at University and just walk west. You'll eventually hit the block that suits your lifestyle - mall stores and trendy boutiques come first...walk all the way to Parkdale and you can score street drugs with the crack whores. Plenty of record stores en route. Sunday's a good day to hit Kensington Market, because then you can hit Graffiti's for the matinee (4-7) usually pretty decent roots/country - super unpretentious and friendly.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 6:12 pm

Queen West of Spadina for the hipster gear and the area around Adelaide and John Street for upscale and chic threads. Stop at the Kum Jug Yuen on Spadina for some of the best asian pork BBQ and pepper fried squid you'll ever put in yo' mouth.

http://chefmoz.org/Canada/ON/Toronto/Kom_Jug_Yuen1092358069.html
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 6:19 pm

'Noise Annoys' and 'Rotate This' were both great.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 6:42 pm

I second the Kom Jug recommendation. Prices are cheap, portions are huge and it tastes great as well.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:25 pm

re: Montreal. I posted a bunch of shit when someone asked this question on the Terminal Boredom board a while back that I don't feel like writing again, so go here:

http://terminal-boredom.com/forums/index.php?topic=2522.0
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:26 pm

Only other thing I can add is, if you have time, hit up some Indian Restaurants on Jean-Talon street. Its da bomb.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®