Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / First song you remember hearing as a child
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 5:22 am

"Get Off My Cloud"
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:08 am

Does this include nursery rhymes or "Happy Birthday"?

I remember mom patting her hand on the steering wheel to "Afternoon Delight", although I had no idea what the song was about at the time. The 1st record my brother & I had was a 45 of Sweet's "Little Willy" on Bell Records. It would have to be something like that. Another possibility might be "A Cowboy's Work Is Never Done" by Sonny & Cher. Dad had a Sonny & Cher record & played it a lot when he got home from work in the afternoons.

One of those or something like that.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:10 am

The Knack-"Get The Knack" because my dad must have been going through a midlife crisis and was trying to be hip. Bought it in 1979 but played it when I was little. No joke. Then, like, The Grease Soundtrack or something.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:11 am | Edited by: SinglesGoingSteady

I also have fond memories of a moldy old Sweet 45, whichever one has "Man From Mecca" as the b-side. This was around 13, though. Jesus, I fucking loved that song! Great riffage..
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:04 am

Kiss "I Was Made For Loving You", although my parents remember me crawling round the house singing "Dirty Deeds Dumbert Cheap".
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:14 am

"How Much is That Doggie in the Window?" - it sounds like a kiddie song - but it was a pop hit in the 50s and that's when i heard it
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:16 am

I remeber this things: "Wang, why you kill Suki? Suki a good dog. Wang why you do such a thing to you pet? Wang, look at me!" It not a song, it the sound of my mother voice. But I hear it repeating in mine head over and over like a radio wave...
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 10:29 am

something by the Supremes or Stevie Wonder

I mostly remember the taste of the vinyl seats in the car though
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 1:43 pm

born in the usa by the boss.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 2:14 pm

We Will Rock You by Queen.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 2:46 pm

i remember not being able to sleep and asking my dad to play some song off of t-rex's beard of stars when i was 4 or 5. that was the only good record i got out of his collection, minus the neil young stuff. trans rules!
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 3:11 pm

Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" and "Car Wash" specifically. I can even remember where I was when I heard them at the age of three.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 3:14 pm

Blondie's 'Heart of Glass', or possibly something by Bananarama.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 3:26 pm

Bob Seger, "Old Time Rock n' Roll".
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 3:50 pm

what the hell is it about that song?? that was the first song my little cousin loved and used to sing...it must have some weird cadence that kids can pick up on.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:14 pm

Oh this really dates me but it was either Johnny Horton's "The Battle of New Orleans" or "Charlie Brown" by The Coasters.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:17 pm

The theme from "Chariots of fire". I'm sure it's not the first song, but it's my earliest memory of a song now.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:24 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I specifically remember hearing the following on the car radio--but I know I heard other stuff before cos I owned records at the same time:

*You are the sunshine of my life --Stevie Wonder

*I can see clearly now--Johnny Nash

*Delta Dawn--Tanya Tucker

*Tie a Yellow Ribbon--Tony Orlando and Dawn
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:34 pm

As far as first song I ever heard, I don't really remember but my first record was either the 45s of "Play That Funky Music," Paul McCartney's "Coming Up" (still love that song) or Cheech & Chong's "Earache My Eye."
The 1st record my brother & I had was a 45 of Sweet's "Little Willy" on Bell Records
The b-side of that record ("Man From Mecca") is possibly the best Sweet song ever. Specifically that mono mix too...
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:43 pm

Maybe not a song, but the 3-note "by mennen" jingle attached to the end of Lady Speed Stick commercials during episodes of All My Children in the early 1980's was permanently implanted in my head at a very young age.

Other than that, I remember listening to the "Chipmunk Punk" record, and my parents made me a tape with Black Flag's "TV Party" and "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie", as well as the Monkees "Stepping Stone." I listened to that in my fisher-price tape player all the time.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:47 pm

what the hell is it about that song?? that was the first song my little cousin loved and used to sing...it must have some weird cadence that kids can pick up on.

yeah I remember I was at an aunt's wedding or something, I was maybe 6, and for some reason I really wanted the wedding band to play that song. I think my affection for it might have had to do with it being on the soundtrack to some movie I really liked or something. but I don't remember the movie.

born in the usa by the boss.

also remember this from a very early age. I don't think I even heard the actual song, but these kids I played with were always singing the chorus. it's pretty catchy.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:57 pm

I'm pretty sure there were some Stones or some soul that my mom liked, but honestly the only tracks off the top of my head I can remember that far back were:

"Wildfire" - Michael Martin Murphy
"Cat's in the Cradle" - Hary Chapin
"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" - Gordon Lightfoot

I didn't start buying my own music until around '78.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 5:22 pm

"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" - Gordon Lightfoot

That was another one for me...I remember listening to that with my Pop. Just a few years ago, Pop and I went to see Gordon at an outdoor venue. Kinda cool actually...
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:27 pm

Christ. What a bunch of revisionist horseshit...
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:38 pm

"Jamie's Crying" by Van Halen. This song sticks out in my mind in particular, 'cuz down the street lived a kid named Jamie. We would taunt him by singing that song...
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:47 pm

Frankie Valli - Working My Way Back To You

I was probably about 3 and I was sure it was sung by a woman.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:24 pm

i remember reo speedwagon and blondie and pat benetar because that's what my mom liked.

and martel, i remember that "by mennan" jingle in the commercial. hahah.

the radio station where i used to live used to play "old time rock n roll" every friday in the morning when i was on my way to school on the bus. heh.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:42 pm

earliest pop song; total eclipse of the heart
earliest FAVORITE pop song: Self Control (Laura Branigan)
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:47 pm

My earliest musical memories are all showtunes, due to the many original cast recordings my parents played at home. The first song I remember hearing is "Bali Hai" from South Pacific.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:48 pm

saw a double feature of hard days night an help at the drive in when help came out. that an the batman theme.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:50 pm

My earliest musical memories are all showtunes, due to the many original cast recordings my parents played at home. The first song I remember hearing is "Bali Hai" from South Pacific.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:52 pm

that's about what i'd expect from a mofo who puts down shea stadium...
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:58 pm

"just hangin around" by the EDGAR WINTER GROUP.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 9:02 pm

that's about what i'd expect from a mofo who puts down shea stadium...
"Meet the Mets, meet the Mets,
Step right up and greet the Mets.
Bring your kiddies, bring your wife,
Guaranteed to have the time of your life.
Because the Mets are really sockin' the ball,
Knockin' those homeruns over the wall.
East side, West side, everybody's coming down,
To meet the M-E-T-S Mets, of New York town."

That's another very early song memory, however, the lyrics were often changed to "Beat the Mets, beat the Mets. Step right up and beat the Mets."
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 9:31 pm

"Draggin' the Line" as played by some shitty bar band in the Wisconsin Dells. I was four years old. White trash summer vacation with the folks and my older brother. I almost drowned in the hot tub later on.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 9:44 pm

Lido Shuffle
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 9:49 pm

i seen swastikas hangin from storefronts in the wisconsin dells when i was a kid.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 10:12 pm

Really? I just saw one guy punch another outside of a restaurant. It was funny.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 10:22 pm

Rhinestone Cowboy...My parents hated it because I played it non-stop. I had my own fischer-price so I didnt have to listen to firefall. I dont remember the b-side but.....
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 10:26 pm

are jdrhea an goner rhea related???
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 10:36 pm

this 30 yr old guy lived with his mom next to us in columbia sc when i was in 1st through 5th grade. he had a band that practiced in the garage called wikked witch. they had it spraypainted w/ a stencil on the driveway in these awesome heavy metal letters. thats one of my earliest music memories. they all looked like the band ratt.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 10:37 pm

I have visions of seeing Slade and Gary Glitter on Top of the Pops in the early 70's, but I can't remember which songs. I definitely remember hearing the Shangri-Las "Leader of the Pack" though, which apparently hit #3 in the UK charts when it was re-released in 1972, so I guess I would have been four.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 10:41 pm

Mom dug surf music since we were living in Orange County then. First song I can remember was Church Key by the Revels...1963? The low voice, the chick laughing, the sound of the bottle opener...magic to my 3 year old ears.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 11:55 pm

saturday night fever by the bee gees.
i remember hearin g it in the car,and it kind of scare me,but entranced me at the same time.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 11:59 pm

yeah, saturday night used to be a big deal back in the 70's. bee gees, bay city rollers, elton john...
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 1:42 am

Eh, it's ok, it's alright...
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 5:14 am

Yeah, "Little Willy"! I forgot about that one...I remember hearing "Maggie May" at a pretty early age, too, and a shitload of 60s-era Bee Gees because my mom used to play their first three LPs all the time.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 5:15 am

Lynn Anderson "Rose Garden"
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 5:22 am

carol king "i feel the earth move". ugh.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 5:57 am

Damn...that's almost as bad.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 6:17 am

Tennesee Waltz
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 7:45 am

Roxanne by The Police...
It ended up being my first 45 on my pimpin' Fisher-Price lil' record player.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 10:47 pm

Live like an Angel-Venom
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 11:56 pm

i wanna hold yer ham
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 3:21 am

Piano Man
Chuck E's in Love
Muffin Man
Rubber Ducky
Star Wars Theme
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 4:12 am

Winchester Cathedral
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 4:40 am

not sure if it was the first song i ever heard, but definately the first single i ever owned - yeah bitch Great Balls Of Fire - until my sister got sick of hearing it and threw it at me frisbee style - but still it only cracked half way through so i would put tape on the other side so i could still play it
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 6:16 am

More Than a Felling by Boston. On all the time in 1976-77
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 10:29 pm

Who Wears Short-Shorts? & Flying Purple People Eater
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:02 pm

Rhinestone Cowboy
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 6:13 pm

either "jump" by van halen or "thriller." both were on MTV a lot, and my dad liked MTV.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:33 pm

Rhinestone Cowboy
My family had this Glen Cambell single. I used to do that Tom Cruise "Risky Business" move on the hardwood floors while singing it. This was in 1974. Gerald Ford for Prez. 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! About the time Cruise was being anal probed by the aliens. I should of sued that fucker, that was my act bitch!! I didn't know the words but my family thought it was entertaining and would encourage me to do it all of the time. The earliest memories of songs for me was those God forsaken Christmas songs Mom made us sing. I get that nervous eye twitch every time I hear "Away in the Manger".
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 3:45 pm

Eagles - Hard Ache Tonight. Was on the radio alot.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:42 pm

i remember hearing/learning church songs - mormons start you off early (age 3)

but dad always sang Crazy around the house. not the whole song, just the word "Crazy" in tune and then whistled a few more notes
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 11:34 pm

I remember my dad singing "Walk the Line" to me.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 8:07 am

Delta Dawn--Tanya Tucker

Wasn't that sung by Helen Reddy? My folks watched her variety show. Sonny & Cher's show, too.

Also, after reading "Flyin' Purple People Eaters", I would have to add that &/or "Monster Mash" as well.
Posted: Oct 31, 2006 9:03 am

Mommy I killed you With An Ax by New Hope Brigade
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 2:24 am

i know there were others before, but the one where i actually knew the lyrics was 'behind closed doors' by charlie rich.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 4:18 am

Cat Stevens - "Moonshadow"
My mom singing "You Belong To Me"
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 5:06 am

"You Light Up My Life" and some song about getting a wookiee a comb for Christmas.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®