Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / worst phase of music you've ever had?
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 9:08 pm

im guilty of having the following phases:
a WEEN phase
a fucking Grateful Dead phase.! ( i was never a dead head, my freind was..he even wore a -baha. sick.)
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 9:33 pm

Ween's got some alright stuff. Old chemist friend of mine would play it all the time when we'd be up for days working on bad stuff. First time I ever smoked crack I listening to Ween.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 9:33 pm

ween = hippies.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 9:41 pm

The trusting "EVERYthing on Sub Pop, Estrus or Sympathy was worth buying" phase caused for a lot of wasted dollars.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 9:51 pm

Weird, most of the people I've ever known that listened to Ween were really twisted nerds. Never hung out with hippies though, so how would I know something like that? Sounds like a personal problem, fuckin' hippie-associatin' motherfucker.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 9:57 pm

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 9:59 pm

I had a led zeppelin black light poster i'd gotten from Spencer's, that was a while back, now i'm cool and I only listen to aggro nu metal!!!!!!!!
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 10:04 pm

when i started working at vh1, they were in full hootie & the blowfish hype mode.... i decided at that moment, my favorite band would be NIN. blasted it rather loudly for MONTHS.. because i was a dept. head... no one was allowed to tell me to turn it off. but i hated it!
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 10:27 pm

Ween (and the Dead Milkmen) are one of those slightly funny bands that have a core geek audience, but then got picked up by stoner morons. So I dunno.

I went through a Led Zep/Sabbath phase when I was 12. The typical pre-punk classic rock/hard rock male adolescent FM radio thing.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 10:33 pm

I went through a Ween phase. I stopped paying attention after Pure Guava. I wish I still had that old demo from '88. It was actually pretty good shitty lo fi. The guy that turned me on to them was this huge dork. I was also a member of the Estrus Crust Club at one point...
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 10:38 pm

Posted: Sep 3, 2006 10:42 pm

estrus ha ha !!

What's so funny? They had the Lord High Fixers and The Drags. And maybe someone else good.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 10:42 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

The "Lost " year and a half where nothing too interesting was happening. Right after Glitter died- late '73- mid '74 and right before Punk rock -'76, I went through a brief " progressive country" phase-Waylon and Willie ,Lost Gonzo Band ,Jerry Jeff ,Emmy Lou Harris, Guy Clark, Willis Alan Ramsey etc. JJ Cale too ,although ,he ain't really country. It aided and abetted my alcohol consumption. Strangley, though I enjoyed going to their shows I never bought any of their albums. At the same time ,I was still listening to Bowie and Roxy Music. Also whenI was in the ninth grade I bought Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" which i loved for three days then swapped it to a classmate for "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" which I thought and still do ,was a much heavier metallic album.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 10:43 pm

Takin retards to the zoo is the best dead milkmen song ever!

What's wrong with Estrus? I always thought they were a pretty good label.

Impala was on Estrus..
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 10:47 pm

Estrus also rereleased the first Supercharger L.P. They put out another Supercharger L.P. too...
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 11:04 pm

I guess I better put Estrus on my 'worst phase of music' list then.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 11:06 pm

i once gave too many new zealand pop bands more credit than they were due.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 11:08 pm

I think everybody had a new zealand pop band phase that we all outgrew.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 11:14 pm

That's funny. I had almost forgotten about the New Zealand pop band phase until y'all just reminded me, but it was a to-do with everyone for a while.
I think I liked surf music a little excessively in my early twenties.
...until I saw/played with three thousand too many surf bands and got so sick of it I could puke.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 11:14 pm

I haven't outgrown it.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 12:03 am

I OWN A LENA ZAVARONI LP AND I BOUGHT AN ACTION SWINGERS RECORD ONCE. OTHERWISE MY TASTE HAS BEEN IMPECCABLE.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 12:06 am

Olivia Newton John. But thinking back on it, I think I really just wanted to see her naked.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 12:07 am

I liked R.E.M.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 12:12 am

So did I but that was a very long time ago and quite forgotten.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 12:36 am

Ditto with JS on the ONJ... but it was all over once she did Grease... singing with Barbarino ended that whole phase. But I still find myself mooning over the Come On Over album cover.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 12:51 am

I liked R.E.M.

So did I. Hell, I liked the first three U2 albums. I had an older brother that was fucking nutso for them, so I blame him.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 1:16 am

Estrus put out of it's share of yawners. Granted their batting average was better than a lot of other labels but not everything was gold...Um, Gravel anyone?
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 4:45 am

In the early 90's, I had an Estrus phase concurrent with a pop-punk (Screeching Weasel, NoFx, Parasites, etc.) phase. There's a few Estrus bands from that period that I still listen to. Very little of the pop-punk stuff has aged well.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 4:46 am

BLEW MY COOL
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 12:46 pm

I'm heading into my worst phase yet- young country.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 2:32 pm

teenage devotion to KISS. "dynasty" disco knocked me off the bandwagon. still like a lot of the songs, and ace is a champion guitarist and fuckup.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 3:23 pm

ps: at 13 believed "quadrophenia" was deep and fraught with meaning.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 4:08 pm

I still love Erasure.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 4:13 pm

ps: at 13 believed "quadrophenia" was deep and fraught with meaning.

don't worry; you were supposed to
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 4:32 pm

the clash
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 5:12 pm

I think Estrus is a good label, but some of those Crust singles were awful. I went through a classic rock phase from ages 6-12, but that was because that's what my older siblings listened to so it grew on me...
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 6:02 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

I never heard The Mortals but I always figured it was awful every time I saw it at the record store. When I was in 11th I grade was simultaneously listening to Bobby Brown and Rapeman.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 6:15 pm

I have an autographed Bulletboys cassette...need I say more?
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 9:32 pm

I actually went through this phase were I listened to bands like The Reatards, The Oblivians, and The Mummies, and then...hey wait a minute...
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 9:38 pm

The only problem with Estrus was Dave Crider's duality of good/bad taste. He likes some good stuff, but he likes some stinker geek music too. The Mono Men were a total snooze if you'd heard the real thing they were imitating.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 9:46 pm

Willie hits the nail on the head.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 10:06 pm

15 surf instro 45's per month was kinda pushing it, too...

Estrus was pretty lame at times.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:57 am

yes... oh yes.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:58 am

not to agree...but as in the band Yes
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 7:00 am

No, man. I'm sure it's smooth up in ya.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 7:02 am

but as in the band Yes

If by Yes you mean 90125 and after, well, notsomuch.

Close to the Edge is a fine album. Be not afraid of the elves and dwarves that play in your dreams. You can quash them with a battle axe +9.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 7:53 am

Is it the one with the cartoon on the cover? If so I orderd that badboy from BMG...
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 10:10 am

I used to run around the house diving under chairs and shooting everything in site whenever I'd hear the theme song from S.W.A.T. come on in my youth

I guess I would still do that but the show was cancelled
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:11 pm

About the Estrus stuff: I had trouble with a live show with four surf bands in a row. Too much- by the time the third band was on I was dying to hear anything else- polka music, hardcore, jazz, anything.
Like Gatemouth Brown said, music is like food- gotta have variety.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:19 pm

trying to do artrock
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:51 pm

thundercrack
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 5:12 pm

When I was 10 years old my favorite band was The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

R U Tuff Enuff?
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 5:21 pm

Most of that early Flying Nun and X-Pressway stuff still sounds great today. I'd say it's aged better than anything else from the era, especially hardcore and AmRep shit (outside of the best of the best, of course). I listened to all kinds of stoopid crap, dunno even where to start. REM, U2, metal, I lived out in the fucking woods. KISS phase when in gradeschool, etc. At least my old man had good 60s stuff and my mother worked with high school kids so she'd bring home stuff like Devo and Cheap Trick for me because the "old kids" dug them.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:27 pm

my worst phase was when I got into that whole 70's classic rock bullshit. I still have that crap because nobody wants it anymore, and I dont believe in throwing away records
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:31 pm

It's ok to toss 'em. Do it. You'll feel tons better.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:32 pm

smashing pumpkins @ 14
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:40 pm

Is it the one with the cartoon on the cover? If so I orderd that badboy from BMG...

Nope. It's the first one...with the bullet piercing the apple on the cover. But if'n yer interested, it'll be up on eBay soon along with an autographed Great White tape!!!!
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:47 pm

autographed Great White tape!!!!

Is it the one where the lead guitarist has his dick in a cast? I remember they pulled that version because it was too offensive. Maybe you're sitting on a goldmine...
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 7:01 pm

dick in a cast?
Maybe you're sitting on a goldmine...

No dick in a cast...and I think I'll be lucky to get 2 bucks for the lot.
But I've also got ticket stubs from Ratt, Poison, Cinderella....

Man! What the hell was I doing as a kid?
Thank Crom I found the Ramones!!
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 7:01 pm

Maybe you're sitting on a goldmine...

You don't know the half of it. In his bathroom? A picture of Loverboy, autographed by every member. That's right.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 7:58 pm

Jazz fusion geek, late 70s. But then I discovered pot, booze, and loud/primitive/out of tune music all at the same time. And then years later I had to track down some of the stuff (Herbie Hancock's Headhunters) that I had dumped during the Great Fusion Purge.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:00 pm

And then years later I had to track down some of the stuff (Herbie Hancock's Headhunters) that I had dumped during the Great Fusion Purge.

I hope you found another copy of "Sextant." It's not Headhunters, but early electronic Herbie.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:15 pm

i think i owned a Soundgarden album once, Badmotorfinger. IM GONNA BREAK MY RUSTY CHAIN AND RUN.....
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:34 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

I can't think of one. Not even my hardcore phase, which was concurrent with my New Wave of British Metal phase. I still hate the same shitty Sub Pop bands that I hated back then. I'm just not quite as into the good ones.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 12:00 am | Edited by: satanic war chicken

i got really really big into anarcho punk for a long time.too fucking long.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 4:32 am

I went through this phase of liking overrated,overhyped, talentless gay-rage bands, but I'm almost over it. I'll soon be back to listening to hair metal again. Now that's good shit!
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 7:16 am

Sextant is better than Headhunters. That and Crossroads are his best stuff. I still dig some anarchopunk, some twisted shit buried in that stuff. REM and U2 both have their moments. Still like metal and hip-hop. Been listening to lots of 90's noise stuff like Dead C, Skullflower and Royal Trux's Twin Infinitives, some Roger Miller and The Revolutionaries: Reaction In Dub today.

There was a time when I'd spend alot of money on obscure foreign psychedelic shit from the early 70's that was merely interesting when I was paying prices that should be reserved for the absolutely mindblowing. That was kind of silly.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 11:24 pm

ya know what, ,speaking of Gay-rage bands..i bought a MOno Men 10 inch once..it really sucked...i thought it would sound like Man or Ass-tro Man..but no.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 11:38 pm

I'll soon be back to listening to hair metal again. Now that's good shit!

Poison!!!!!
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 6:17 pm

i owned a Soundgarden album once, Badmotorfinger.

I got that with a bunch of nirvana and other grunge when I joined a BMG like club.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 6:34 pm

I think Soundgarden was pretty good up to Badmotorfinger. Nirvana was also pretty great.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 7:13 pm

All those bands that Ned Hayden was going to sign to Caroline other than us.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 9:05 pm

My rap-phase - late eighties, early nineties - Steady B, Schoolly D, Gang Starr, NWA, Ice-T or even worse the politically correct stuff : Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, The Goats... I went to New York and walked around with a Hiphoprisy-baseballcap. Silly.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 9:12 pm

Schooly D, Gang Star, NWA and Ice-T was some of the greatest music of its time. You'd only have a problem if you tried to get into the R&B scene at the same time, En Vogue, Bell Biv Devoe, Tony Toni Tone, Keith Sweat
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 9:22 pm

Can't listen to it now. I remember it was exitin' at the time, though. I went to some rap-shows. Good laughs : white suburban kid wants to act tough and gets beaten up by black thugs. Young white homosexual jews diggin' public enemy. Haha.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 10:32 pm

worst phase of music you've ever had?

This one.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 12:50 am

worst phase of music you've ever had?

This one.

No shit. Creed sucks.
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 1:46 am

smashing pumpkins @ 14

i'm glad i ignored you in regards to them and 4 non blondes
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®