Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Scratch Acid Reunion
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 8:53 pm | Edited by: some guy in chicago

I know this isn't the traditional goner type band, but they were my fave in high school. And any band that gives out hits of acid to the audience for their first show is alright in my book.

For their reunion show in Austin on Sat night, both the Austin Chron and the American Statesman has decent recaps of their careers.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid%3A399553

http://www.austin360.com/music/content/music/stories/xl/2006/08/31cove r.html

I board a plane tonight to head down to Austin to see them. I can't wait.

Any Austin Goners gonna be around for the show?

And then next week I'll be seein' 'em again for the TnG 15th anniversary. Yowza!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:19 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

If they aren't a Goner type band, who wants to be a Goner?!?!?!

I looooooooved this band in HS too.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:23 pm

Well fiery, what I meant was they don't have any serious garage type roots that traditional Goner bands have.

My life is so busy right now. I'm sad I didn't get to do this. But a coworker of mine, also from Austin and a big Scratch Acid fan, we'd been planning to plaster Chicago with Scratch Acid poster art for fake Scratch Acid shows at non existent venues, like Raul's or Lounge Ax, but give the non-existent venues addresses of real current places. We thought it'd be a nice homage to Scratch Acid's period as an Austin poster art only band. But time just didn't permit this task.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:28 pm

I still haven't bought tickets to the Chicago show. Hoping it's not too late, because this could be excellent (or horrible).
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:33 pm

Well fiery, what I meant was they don't have any serious garage type roots that traditional Goner bands have.

I know exactly what you meant and believe me, was not trying to start a thang. I wish I could see them. How many shoes are they doing/
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Aren't you always trying to start a thang? :)

They are playing Austin this Sat, Chicago the next Sat, and I think Seattle the next Sat, then that's it.

Scratch Acid broke up before I moved to Austin from Dallas. I know it's a reunion, but still very excited about seeing them. That and seeing old friends, and swimming in spring watering holes, and having real tex-mex, and fresh margaritas!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:40 pm

Aren't you always trying to start a thang? :)

They just don't understand me!

Seattle?!??!?! Fuck Seattle.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:45 pm

Also a big fan in high school. Still love the mini-LP and like the LP. Incredible drummer.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:48 pm

We're going! Alyse bought tickets today. One of my ALL TIME favorite bands!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:50 pm

Please take many photos and post links. Well, then again, maybe not. Maybe I wanna remember them young!!!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 10:07 pm

Will do Fiery. We're all curious about Yow. He's been holed up in Indiana for the past few years and off the bottle. But word is he's going through a divorce, and back to drinking, so if he's back to his madman ways, it could be very interesting!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 10:21 pm

I loved SA in high school too. One year they did yearbook photos for every extra carricular group I was in on the same day, so there are three or four photos of me in that yearbook wearing my shirt with the s/t EP cover art. Honor Society, radio station, etc.

Never got to see 'em, so I'm really stoked about the reunion too. Thanks for posting the links to those articles, too. Great stuff.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 10:35 pm

The last I saw David Yow was at a Jesus Lizard show in ATL. I was at the very front of the stage and some moron stage dived onto my head, giving me what amounted to whiplash (I was so trashed it didn't hurt until the next day). Well, what does David Yow do? Grabbed him up and punched this guy in the face. My hero.
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 4:27 am

I just bought a couple of the last remaining weekend passes from The Hideout proper and I am mighty fucking chuffed to see the mighty Scratch Acid again.

The last and only time I saw them was at a horse ranch 20 miles out of Kalamazoo, the drugs were great, the band was un-freaking-believable and God was seen hiding in the corner, shaking and crying.
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 2:03 pm

The Greatest Gift is bad to the boner!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 7:14 pm

I saw Scratch Acid in Raliegh NC right before they broke up, and it is still one of the best shows I have ever seen in my life. A total evil psych mindfuck, words do no justice.
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 9:09 pm

Wow. I have a cassette somewhere this old punk rock dyke made me of Scratch Acid... last time I found it, it still played!
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 8:19 am

They were fucking great!!!!!
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 5:45 am

One year they did yearbook photos for every extra carricular group I was in on the same day, so there are three or four photos of me in that yearbook wearing my shirt with the s/t EP cover art. Honor Society, radio station, etc.

I am imagining what quite possibly could be the nerdiest image of you ever.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 10:23 am

and that would be you, norah
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 10:23 am

and that would be you, norah
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 3:58 pm

That makes no sense, drunky.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 4:33 pm

I have a weekend pass I need to get rid of, $40. Come on people, someone must need it. tastye@gmail.com
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 6:50 pm

is rey washam a part of this?
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 7:27 pm

is rey washam a part of this?

Full original lineup.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:20 pm

Really enjoyed the show. Friend of mine who is a bartender at the venue said they sold almost 1100 tix and estimated Scratch Acid made close to 14k. That's the most they've ever gotten paid for a show.

It was hot hot hot, and it was an outdoor show. Yow had some sort of mucas prob going on and he was spitting up phlegm every few mins. Heat got to him near the 2nd to last song before the encore, and he bent over and vomitted. But somehow Yow does that with grace.

Scratch Acid played for about an hour and 15 mins. Yow had the energy, running around, hanging from the rafters, singing while surfing the crowd. Simms didn't really start his patented movements with the bass until 2/3 way in, but everybody was tight, and seeing Washam on drums (hadn't seen him since his Euripides Pants project) was AMAZING.

Problem with that size of a crowd is it prevents anyone but those in the near front of the club to really catch the energy in the air. But then up front, you had to fight a pretty aggressive pit of some drunken fucks that got annoying real quick, or maybe I'm just getting too old.

Some ways it was better than I hoped (energy level, sound, songs played), other ways just a tough less than I hoped (no stage antics, but I wasn't really expecting any), but all in all it was a great show. They played every song I wanted to hear but Ain't That Love.

Yow thanked the audience over and over for all that came out, and seemed to be really caught off guard that people still cared.

The Chicago show should be fun, but a shorter set.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:22 pm

I finally got a copy of a student short film that I played harmonica on that Rey Washem's jazz band, Euripedes Pants, supplied the music for.
Pretty cool stuff- Rey was there in the studio while I did my parts ( and I was not aware that he was involved).
One of those things you record that you have to pursue to get a copy of- otherwise it is lost. But pretty cool stuff, really
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:34 pm

What's a "traditional" goner band?
I know there's a heavy bent of KBD punk and maybe '60s garage among goners, but people here like all kinds of music. I think a lot of us were/are Scratch Acid fans.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:39 pm

Hey Willie, did yu have any Scratch Acid recs when we were growing up? I think I only heard 'em once or twice at The Underground.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:39 pm

And does the word "Bongowax" mean anything to anybody?
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 4:58 pm

"Surfin' Turd"!

See also: "Worst Phases in Music" thread.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:03 pm

I never got into their recorded stuff, but I supported anything that went against the rigid HC vibe going around that era. Live they were great. Yow pulled out some kind of doughy goop marinating in the crotch area of his jeans and flung it at the crowd.

This is their second reunion. Scratch Acid perfromed a set with Rey Washam in Fort Collins, CO around 90' with the Jesus Lizard dudes filling in.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:10 pm

This is their second reunion. Scratch Acid perfromed a set with Rey Washam in Fort Collins, CO around 90' with the Jesus Lizard dudes filling in.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Brett Bradford played at that. Do you know Uptight?
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:25 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

I missed it by days because of a move, but I doubt Brett was there. It was Rey and JL from what I heard. Lots of raves from the people who caught it. Lance, the bass player for a band Rey played in at the time gave me the scoop after the fact.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 8:41 pm

Hey Willie, did yu have any Scratch Acid recs when we were growing up?
Yeah, a couple. I still have the black one with the cool silver reflective glued-on cover reminiscient of the Rolling Stones' "Satanic Majesties" cover, "Just Keep Eating". It's a good record.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 10:07 pm

We're looking for photos of Scratch Acid for an upcoming article, so if anyone has any leads (new or old pics are fine), please send info to canderson@victimoftime.com
thanks!
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 6:05 pm

Posted: Sep 10, 2006 10:02 pm

thought scratch acid were 'good'. pretty much note for note like on recordings. surprised that i really dug shellac. i've only seen them once before and they sounded like ass, but were pretty awesome last night.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:01 pm

The Big Black reunion was interesting. Not amazing though.

Scratch Acid was better in Austin, but only because you weren't as removed from the performers and the Austin crowd was one swaying mess of energy. Chicago show just stood still.

The only act that impressed me at the TnG anniversary was The Ex. They caught me off guard, and really suprised me.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:03 pm

What about Quasi? Did anyone see them? I hear they have a bass player now.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 2:46 am

negative approach were really good. killdozer rocked, esp. their cover of 'la grange'. heard black heart procession actually 'rocked' with a minimal amount of suicides.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 8:29 am

I thought the Ex were one of the best, too. totally aggro
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 11:22 am

It might be worth noting that Scratch Acid are playing Seattle soon, also. Furthermore, am I the only one who remembers Britt Bradford's short-lived band, Great Ceaser's Ghost?
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 1:39 pm

aren't they playing in atlanta? saint sarah, confirm?
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 2:06 pm

aren't they playing in atlanta? saint sarah, confirm?

huh????
yes, someone please confirm this.

i know there's a melvins w/ david yow thing coming through, but haven't heard anything about scratch acid.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 10:42 am

Nice to see some love for The Ex. One of my all-time faves. They don't roll, but their rock is big and it hits you hard.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®