Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Is Advantage the best thing to give cats for fleas???
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 2:16 am

My littlest again has fleas...I feel weird giving her that crap every month. Is there another, maybe not so toxic, option or is this the best? I have heard nutriotional yeast works--is it comparable?
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 2:19 pm

No, it's not comparable. Also, I've tried garlic capsules, and they don't work that well either.
It's a trade off. Yes, it sucks that they have to be chemically treated every month, but fleas can make them much sicker.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 2:26 pm

i got the same problem...i'm going to call our landlord and get him to send an exterminator out. i just spent three hours cleaning the house last night so it wouldn't look like a hell hole when they came. i'm using frontline on top of that, but we got an unfinished basement that isnt relaly weather proof and the fleas get in there and just hop up the stairs (or hitch a ride on the cats).
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 2:34 pm

it sucks that they have to be chemically treated every month, but fleas can make them much sicker.

Absolute truth.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 3:23 pm

It sucks b/c we have this cat, Simon, who won't really hang around inside anymore, but comes in to eat. I treat him but he still gets fleas like mad and gives them to the indoor cats. That crap is so spendy too. I remember when they first started prescribing it and they said it would last for 3 months...now it is every month. Does anyone remember this?
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 3:42 pm

Frontline is supposed to be better, but its prescription only and really REALLY spendy.

It sucks cause my cats both came down with a crazy bad habit of biting themselves til they bled, and I took them both to the vets (which I never do as they are indoor cats) so I had to spend a buttload on getting them their vaccinations and stuff, PLUS they never figured out what was wrong. The vet found a tiny tiny bit of flea dander on one cat, but I'm still not buying it. It was January, they were both indoor cats, I had a white dog and a white cat and had never seen a flea on either of them, plus we'd just moved into our new house and I had changed their food. Seemed like there were many other factors that it could have been but the vet was just lazy. Fast forward to now, the bolder cat is now an indoor/outdoor cat, and his problem has completely gone away, I've changed their food two more times (once back to the original, then to a very pricy brand that has worked wonders on my dog's ailments and specializes in skin probs) and the indoor cat is still biting herself like crazy.

In summation, pets are a pain in the ass.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 10:36 am

My cat has taken to biting herself on the back and tail lately. She's an indoor cat, chilled out o the max, usually. All of a sudden she got real wierd, stayed on our bed biting and spazzing all night, keeping us up... I got some advantage, but it did nothing. Best way to check for fleas is to put a little water in the sink, and rub kitty's belly. If fleas are the problem, little scabs will fall into the sink and you'll notice the bloody spots. Anyhoo, I could have boght that other stuff for more $$, but I just got advantage. Turns out it's not fleas, so I have a bunch of useless advantage here now, and the vet administered another multi-bug killer. $$!! Hopefully this is it...

I was researching it, and some cats get Feline Hyperstesia, basically OCD where cats think there's something wrong with their tail or back. They obsess, self mutilate and sometimes the tail has to be amputated. Nooo!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 3:31 pm

The best way to treat a cat with fleas is to kill the cat.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 3:47 pm

you'll need 4 things: a pillow case, a brick, a bridge and a river.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 3:49 pm

CATS LOVE ANTIFREEZE!!!

Just put a little in their food or water and it'll get rid of those pesky fleas.

Plus, it taste sweet so they can't seem to get enough.

My cat loves the stuff. She's lost a lot of weight and her fur's falling out, and sometimes she bleeds from her mouth, but I'll be damned if she doesn't have any fleas! That stuff really works. I'm kind of shocked vet's don't reccomend it.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 3:51 pm

recommend, not reccomend. Sorry. I've been drinking the antifreeze, too
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:05 pm

OK, comedians, Harvey Wallbanger's is closed for the night on this thread.

Yes, pets are a pain. Our outdoor cat got scabs and was scratching and chewing so much he was a bloddy mess. We took him to the vet--after being guilted out by our annoying neighbors who basically house and feed him more than we do--and it turns out the annoying neighbors were feeding him some food he was allergic to! So, in short, because these assholes wanted to take over our cat, we get stuck with a $300 vet bill and had to start him on this prescription diet for a month to clear up their mess.

Fuckers. Leave our cat alone. Don't fall for his shit; let him stay outside like he wants.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:30 pm

fiery,

when I lived in lil beirut everyone and their hardcore grandmother had an animal or 3. Needless to say we had fleas. My kitten was covered. I found a box of Advantage in a chest of drawers. I seem to remember it being the liquid dropper type...anyhow, the stuff worked on not just little Trixie but on everyone else's animal. It was a REAL bad problem but a few drops for a few days and they were ALL gone and never returned. No animals were hurt either.

Advantage. Do it.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:37 pm

I was researching it, and some cats get Feline Hyperstesia, basically OCD where cats think there's something wrong with their tail or back. They obsess, self mutilate and sometimes the tail has to be amputated. Nooo!

This was what I think was wrong with Jack, the outdoor one. He had a cone on his head and we bandaged his tail, for like MONTHS, but still every so often he would manage to somehow get the bandage off and I'd come home to a bloodbath. Like where it would be embarassing to go to my house with someone cause I had no idea if it would look like a murder scene when we got there. I was afraid that we'd either have to amputate or give him kitty prozac, neither of which I wanted to do. But once we started letting him outside, he totally forgot about his tail and now he's obsessed with bringing me dead animals (total count so farL 1 mouse, 1 bird, 1 mouses tail and ass only, 1 huge cicada).

The weird thing is that the other cat started having problems at the same time, so it can't ALL be mental right?
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:39 pm

I gave Lucy (RIP) kitty Prozac to get her to try to sleep thru the night and not bug the crap out of me howling at 3 AM til 5 for food...guess what? IT DIDN'T WORK!!!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:52 pm

If you have a buncha cats, the best thing to do is buy the pack made for the largest dog... then get a syringe (sans needle), cut open Advantage and give each of your cats the appropriate dosage with the syringe.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:16 pm

If you have a buncha cats, the best thing to do is buy the pack made for the largest dog... then get a syringe (sans needle), cut open Advantage and give each of your cats the appropriate dosage with the syringe.

my mom does that for her 6 cats.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:18 pm

I would say only do that if you TOTALLY know how much to give a cat. Giving a cat flea stuff intended for dogs is a good way to kill them/retard them.

Also, just in case anyone is dumb and believed you...dont give your cat antifreeze.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 6:32 pm

My cats are already retarded--well, one is. The other one is just delusional (i.e. Thinks she is either a dog or a person or a kitten depending on her mood). The outdoor cat--lawd only knows what goes on in his head.

I can afford the Advantage, but for 3 cats every month...it gets annoying. Esp. cos those brats eat Wellness food (expensive).
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 6:39 pm

When I had a cat, I always used to love hopping in the tub and bathing the little fucker with flea shampoo (easier to do with two people). The fleas didn't like it, and neither did the cat, who would scowl for days. That and a flea collar always seemed to do the trick though.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®