Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / who's gonna win the world serious..?
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 11:00 pm

id like the Tigers to win, Please. Fuck the Yankees and fuck the White Sox.
Posted: Aug 26, 2006 2:10 pm

nl:the mets vs the cards
sadly the mets win.

al:the tigers vs the yankees
thankfully the tigers win.

mets vs tigers = tigers win.
Posted: Aug 26, 2006 5:02 pm

tigers win.
A's vs. Mets

A's win in 6

Go A's!!!!
Posted: Aug 26, 2006 5:05 pm

Twins
Posted: Aug 26, 2006 8:28 pm

Today is the Little League World Series final...I want Beaverton, OR to win now that Venezuela is out.
Posted: Aug 26, 2006 8:55 pm

A's and Mets in the series, Mets take it in 7. BRING IT BACK TO THE NL!

BUCCOS IN 07!
Posted: Aug 27, 2006 12:02 am

Go Senators!
Posted: Aug 27, 2006 12:31 am

LETS GO METS!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 27, 2006 1:13 am

I'm hoping for the Mets. I also wish the Skankees would crawl up and die. Unfortunately, I'm afraid they'll be there in October, just to friggin' piss us off.
Posted: Aug 27, 2006 4:11 am

thank you mets supporters. we kicked the phillies asses tonight. an our 3 40 year old pitchers are all restin til the playoffs while the young guns hold the fort. delgado is hot again an recent acquisition shawn green hit the game winnin 2 rbi double tonight. the only worry i have for the mets is a. gettin picked off by the phillies or the dodgers in the nl playoffs an b. risin to the level of comp in the al if they reach the series. remember this team was on it's way to extincytion 2 seasons ago before they brought omar back an hired willie. but they are stocked with a lot of talent young an old. top to bottom. mets rule!!!

oh yeah an if it's another subway series the mets will win this time. they can handle the yankees.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 1:33 am

i think the Tigers are gonna have tough time if they gotta play White Sox in playoffs. White Sox are as disgusting as the Yankee's.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 3:41 pm

the mets
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 4:37 pm | Edited by: dirk diggler

i saw a tigers game a couple of weeks ago on espn an that tall kid who throws 100 with location was pitchin an even though pudge is half his former size he's still a hall of fame caliber catcher/clutch hitter. i hear they have a lot of good young guys. they could be dangerous.

i was also thinkin that even though the mets lost duaner sanchez omar has filled the void with guillermo moto who has been kickin ass since he's been a met an roberto hernandez back an heilman has kicked it back up an wagner is gettin enough work an feliciano has been steady all year as has that side armed guy so i think the mets have the best bullpen in baseball by far if that means anything.

mets playin a 12:10 make-up game against the phillies today. interviewin willie on the radio now. ryan howard is like babe ruth. that dude can hit for power!!! not as bad at first as people make him out to be either but beltran should win the mvp.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 6:10 pm

As a Royals fan, I love the fact that I get to watch beltran play. Last tuesday vs the cards was one of the most exciting games I've seen. Go Mets! Somebody monkey with David Glass's airplane, please, so he can feel what it's like to be a royals fan.

Mets-Tigers
Mets in 6
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 6:27 pm

Mets Rule!!!
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 6:31 pm

Can someone explain the whole Chicago Cubs/White Sox rivalry? Someone once explained it to me as the Cubs were the "working class team" and the White Sox were the team "for the suburbs". It this true?
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 6:40 pm

i thought the white sox were the thugs because they're from the southside. the cubs are like disneyland.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 8:04 pm

Jack, its the opposite. i think.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 8:26 pm | Edited by: some guy in chicago

Cubs: Northsiders; more affluent fans; owned by Chicago Tribune which traditionally gives the Cubs more newspaper, radio, and TV coverage and less prone to criticize the Cubs than the Sox; WGN was one of the first channels to be carried nationally and since WGN shows the Cubs games, Cubs games get televised across the country causing some envy of the usually better Sox; Cubs can be in last place, 5 years in a row, and still sell out the stadium almost every game, causing envy of Sox fans; Wrigley Field is 2nd oldest stadium standing, generally regarded as the most beautiful field in baseball, almost 100% original and full of character; after the games, you always pour into the neighborhood and step into a bar for a few drinks after the game to celebrate the win or forget the loss with drinks; two of the Cubs announcers Harry Carry and Jack Brickhouse are legendary figures full of character and charm, and the latest radio announcer, Ron Santo, was a legendary Cub player, and now a Chicago instiution with his battle against diabetes

Sox: Southsiders; more working class fans; until winning the World Series last year, could hardly fill half the stadium on their best days even though usually better team; Sox ballpark is about 10 years old and as generic as they come; there is no neighborhood surrounding Sox Park, and not much to do afterwards; Sox haven't had many colorful announcers, and watching their games on tv can be dry.

Things have changed much in the last 15 years or so. Used to be Cubs fans were the working class fans, and the area surrounding Wrigleyville was run down, and on the rough side. All Cubs games were day games until 8/8/88. So most of the people that went to the game, especially the bleacher seats, were out of work bums, hence the term bleacher bums, cause back then bleacher tix were like $2. Then on Aug 8th, 1988, Wrigley finally got lights for night games, then Wrigleyville started shaping up, now it's all yuppy-ized there, and ticket prices have gone through the roof (fans pretty much "voted" to prevent stadium enlargement/changes in exchange for more expensive tickets; stadium only holds just over 41,000 where as most modern stadium hold 55,000-60,000). It's not the working class fan base, nor neighborhood anymore.

I've never really heard Sox referred to as the suburb team, but I guess I can see how that could me. Sox park is right off an interstate, and has parking lots. Wrigley is buried in a neighborhood, not near any interstate, and has no public parking.

I think that much of the rivalry is rooted in Northsiders thumbing their nose at the poorer, white trash, southsiders. While the Southsiders get frustrated that while they traditionally have a better team, the city never gives them the coverage they deserve because of the Trib ownership of the Cubs.

I've been a Cubs fan since I was in 2nd grade, and a big reason why I moved from Texas to Chicago. But I also love the Sox. When I want to have fun, enjoy life, and forget my troubles, I go to a Cubs game. But when I want to watch true baseball, I watch a Sox game. For every Sox game during last year's series, I was in a bar, across from Wrigley, rooting on the Sox.

If you want to learn about one of the funniest moments in Chicago history, where baseball collided with music, do a google search for "Steve Dahl Disco Demolition". You just can't make that shit up. Hysterical. Involves Sox, vinyl records, anti-disco, and a riot.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 8:31 pm

That's pretty damn comprehensive! Thanks, Man! I'll check out the "Steve Dahl Disco Demolition", too.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 8:47 pm | Edited by: some guy in chicago

That's pretty damn comprehensive! Thanks, Man!

Not a problem, Jack! I love baseball, I love the Cubs, and I love living in a baseball rich city.

I'll check out the "Steve Dahl Disco Demolition", too.

In a nutshell, it was 1979, Steve Dahl was an up and coming DJ/talk show host in Chicago, and he hated Disco. Sox couldn't get folks to the stadium. It was a double header game, so Steve Dahl came up with the idea of letting fans bring a disco record to the game to be destroyed in a big ceromony before the game, and the fan could get a discount off the price if they brought a record.

Well, it erupted in fans getting completely unruly, throwin the records like a frisbee onto the field, fans getting hit by flying records, fans storming the field, setting the disco records on fire, the field getting all torn up, and caused the Sox to have to forfeit both games in the double header before even setting foot to the field, because of the damage the fans did!
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 8:51 pm

I read a couple of articles about it! 90,000 people! Actually, they broke it down like:
54,000 in a 45,000 capacity stadium
20,000 people in the parking lot (including the subsequent fence jumpers)
15,000 stuck in traffic...

Keeee-razy!
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 9:06 pm

wasn't it also like free beer night or somethin??? you gotta love bill veeck.

death to disco!!!
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 11:25 pm

Cubs can be in last place, 5 years in a row, and still sell out the stadium almost every game

My dad has given up being a Cubs fan because of this. He figures they will never bother putting a World Series team together because they'll be profitable no matter how bad they do...
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 1:39 am

they'll be profitable no matter how bad they do...

i never thought of it that way....makes sense tho.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 2:21 am

Sox ballpark is about 10 years old and as generic as they come;
I went to a Sox game last summer while in Chicago visiting. I wanted to go see the Cubs just to check out Wrigley, but they were on the road. However, I thought the Sox's park wasn't bad at all. It was pretty nice, actually.

It definitely wasn't beautiful like Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee or old Tiger Stadium. And it wasn't retro-cool like Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T (Giants) or Miller Park or Camden Yards. But I'm an A's fan. Oakland Colliseum is one of the last of the godawful all-purpose sports stadium built in the 60's. That park has zero character and it's just plain unattractive and unsuited for baseball. Other than Oakland Colliseum, I think Shea is the only one of those stadiums left where baseball is still played. And Shea is schedule to be replaced with a great new park soon, right? Vets in Philly, 3 Rivers in Pittsburgh, and Candlestick in SF were all either destroyed or now only serve as football stadiums.

Be thankful for the Sox (Cellular One?) stadium. You could have it a LOT worse!
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 5:13 am

I can walk to the greatest baseball stadium in the majors in less than five minutes. The Metrodome!!!! Actually it's all-purpose like Shea or the Oakland Colliseum, but it was built in '82...
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 5:28 am

"Steve Dahl Disco Demolition"

As I've posted before, I went to a White Sox game with my dad and my brother a few days after this happened, and I remember seeing shards of broken records littering the sidewalk for blocks leading up to the park. I was 7 at the time, and I couldn't imagine why anybody would destroy records. I asked my dad, "why are all these broken records around? Why would people break records?" He said, "They're disco records, son." I said, "Oh."
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 7:56 am

I can walk to the greatest baseball stadium in the majors in less than five minutes. The Metrodome!!

Did they ever vote to build a new stadium to replace the Homerdome?
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 8:11 am

winner will be
what ever team has the most juice takers
you know juice don'tcha
srinks you dick and puts pimples on youe back
thern you die 10 years too soon from a fucked up heart
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 9:47 am | Edited by: Useless Eater

i saw a tigers game a couple of weeks ago on espn an that tall kid who throws 100 with location was pitchin an even though pudge is half his former size he's still a hall of fame caliber catcher/clutch hitter. i hear they have a lot of good young guys. they could be dangerous.

that's Justin Verlander. he's got 15 wins but his last start Cleveland lit him up so his ERA went up half a point. Didja see the setup guy Joel Zumaya? Leads the league in holds, fuckers got tats of flames on his forearms and also can hit 101 on the radar gun. and they were/are thinking about using him as a starter, hmmmm. Then mufucking Todd Jones comes out and I always start to piss myself, but he's only blown 3 saves this year.

love to see Mets/Tigers series. Glavine's arm is fine right? Bludclot!

got a tape somewhere of the Sox/Tigers brawl in Chicago from a few years ago with Robert Fick flipping off the fans and getting beers and trash thrown on him. good times.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 2:36 pm | Edited by: dirk diggler

hey, shea stadium rules. i been goin there since i was a kid. the beatles played there twice. johnny ramone threw rocks at them. i was at the '73 playoff game against the reds when pete rose an bud harrelson got into a fight at second base an there was a riot in right field cause the pitchers in the bullpen were givin the crowd the finger. willie mays, tom seaver an rusty staub had to go out an cool the fans down or the mets were gonna hafta forfeit the game. it was insane.) an me an wifey were on the field on clinch night in '86 an at the playoffs an world series that year. i was at the playoff game against the dodgers in '88 when mike scocsia an kirk gibson hit homers off gooden. (i had seasons tickets from '86-'88). hell i even wrote a song about it-baseball altamont twin tone recs 1985 as heard on the new yo la tengo cd murderin the classics). anyway i have a lotta memories there an i'll miss it when it's gone. an it's not such a bad place to see a game.

(my first game was in '69 at the old metropolitan stadium. twins vs. yankees. i got bobby murcer's autograph. he was a rookie.)

an useless eater yeah i saw zumaya too. looks toitally bad ass. glavine hasn't pitched since he had his scare. but they say he'll be okay. mets vs. tigers would be awesome.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 3:48 pm

fucked up heart
That's my favorite Black and Whites song.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 4:23 pm

Sox ballpark is about 10 years old and as generic as they come;
I went to a Sox game last summer while in Chicago visiting. I wanted to go see the Cubs just to check out Wrigley, but they were on the road. However, I thought the Sox's park wasn't bad at all. It was pretty nice, actually.

I didn't phrase myself right, I don't think Sox Park (I'm sorry, I refuse to call it U.S. Cellular Park) is bad, it's just kinda there, aka generic, to me. I've been to plenty worse parks, and plenty better.

Last summer I went up to Milwaukee to see Brewers play the Cubs. I hadn't been to another ballpark other than Wrigley in about 4 years. I forgot what it was like to be in a modern park. They showed baby pictures of each player on the jumbotron as they came to the plate to bat, and played each player's "theme" song too. Shit cracked me up. I'm used to organ music, hand operated scoreboard, and basically no ads in the stadium to even denote what year it is. Brewer Park was fun, but reminded me how nice and simple games at Wrigley are.

A few years ago, I went to Baltimore to catch a game for the last season Cal was playing. I loved that park. Camden is great!

Funny, the two teams I grew up on, the Rangers and the Astros, I have yet to go see a game at either of their new stadiums and I used to go to hundreds of their games as a kid.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 4:42 pm

new brewers place ain't no fun at all compared to County Stadium. god i love a beer slide! of course the new stadium ain't got those obstructed view seats and shit, but fuckin a!!! beer slide!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 6:10 pm

Did they ever vote to build a new stadium to replace the Homerdome

I believe that Carl Pohlad got his way and they voted yes. I'm not sure when and where they're going to start building it. I don't really keep abreast of such matters. I'm a fair-weather fan. I can't help but like the Metrodump though 'cuz it's so ugly and nobody likes it. I hope they don't raze it because it's so kitschy. I don't think it brings in tons of revenue to downtown Mpls. like Pohlad et. al. claim...

Go Twins!!! and take the Vikings with you!!!!!!!;-)
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 6:10 pm

Any team from either league can easily make the WS this year. The way all the playof bound teams have been playing I wouldn't be shocked if it was the Twins and Dodgers in the WS.

Some of you guys are worried too much about the Yanks, they have no pitching. No wy they can make it to the Series with no starting pitching.

All I can say is THANK GOD the Red Sox won't be in the playoffs this year! I hope they never make it again.

I was just tellin my manager at work that its sad that by August and September the onyl thing you can root for in your team is that they don't lose 90 or 100 games. Oh to be a Buccos fan. I can say though that i was at the 1992 NLCS series in Pittsburgh.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 7:15 pm | Edited by: Useless Eater

I was just tellin my manager at work that its sad that by August and September the onyl thing you can root for in your team is that they don't lose 90 or 100 games. Oh to be a Buccos fan. I can say though that i was at the 1992 NLCS series in Pittsburgh.

Killer B's!

I been a Tiger fan for a couple of decades, the not losing 100 games in a year thrill is always there for us too.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 8:08 pm

Thats alright, I never give up hope. I still think the Pirates have the potential to be a wild card contender [obviously not this season] or atleast finish .500. Freddy Sanchez, Jason Bay, Jack Wilson, Ian Snell, Zach Duke are among the best young players in the game today. Now if we can only hang on to em.

Also, I'm glad to see Sean Casey waited until he became a Tiger to play like he usually does. [being gunned out at first from left field aside]
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 3:42 pm

nice and simple games at Wrigley are.

nice and simple...are you referring to the dumpy conditions, horrible beer, annoying frat boys or falling concrete? :)
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 7:27 pm

hey, shea stadium rules.
I have fond nostalgic memories about Shea and Candlestick, as those are where my earliest baseball memories were formed. My dad (a Brooklyn Dodger fan) and I even went to some Yankee games at Shea when they were renovating Yankee stadium in the mid-70's just so we could watch the Yankees get beaten. However, both Shea and "The Stick" are cruddy parks for baseball. They have no soul. I don't know if these new retro parks are any more soulful, but they at least look like ballparks.

Another stadium I attended a lot as a kid was the Astrodome. Worst baseball stadium EVER! It had all the charm of an airplane hangar. I went to a game at Olympic Stadium the year before the Expos moved. That stadium was at least more interesting than the A-Dome. The game was called in French and everything was blue.
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 8:06 pm

YANKEES!!! YANKEES!!! YANKEES!!!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 8:42 pm

yankees suck!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®