Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / My Fantastical Magical Book Club
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 10:34 pm

I'm going to read "Beautiful Lies" by Lisa Unger in about a week. I don't generally get into suspence novels but it's gotten really good reviews and seems to be a page turner. I'm putting it on reserve at the library today and will start reading it in about 7 days. Other people should get it too and then we can discuss! Sounds totally lame right! I think so too!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307336689/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prod_1/ 104-7525240-8415931?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 10:38 pm

looks like it'd be a good read. i would join ya on that, but i got about 400+ pages worth of shit to read before my first day of class next monday. :( all my recreational reading time is over with from this week on. sucks.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 10:44 pm

i will be going to the country tomorrow and will check to see if its at my library.

i am finishing "the devil wears prada" at the moment. you know - its summer; time to read light weight stuff
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 10:45 pm

you would join her except that you're an illiterate hillbilly, fag.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 10:48 pm

mustering up best robert deniro impersonation: "are you talkin to me?"
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 10:54 pm

you would join her except that you're an illiterate hillbilly, fag.

ha. i'm in graduate school, you pompous fuckstick. i hardly think i got there by being unable to read, thanks.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 11:07 pm

you probably got into a crappy school usin words like hardly though. maybe you're a semi-literate hillbilly.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 11:58 pm

ha. i'm in graduate school, you pompous fuckstick. i hardly think i got there by being unable to read, thanks.

Roller derby scholarship!
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:25 am

i'm a hillbilly! yee=haw! i'm going to go chew on a piece of straw now while i go play the banjo on my front porch. you sure got a pretty mouth, diggle wiggle.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:26 am

I love the banjo.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:30 am

i do wish i knew how to play a banjo.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:34 am

are you a boy or are you a girl???
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:42 am

if you haven't figured that out by the name alone, then you're not just a fag, but a stupid fag.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:44 am

elle, banjo is a little bit easier than you'd think. I ain't no master at it, but the fundamentals are pretty easy.

dirk, i set up everything for your recording session when/if you ever come down. I put a mic into the curb, but since it's surrounded in concrete, I'll need you to get your mouth real close to it while you sing...
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:49 am

uh, jack i think you used that one right before i told you to grow a set of balls, fag.

horse-faced chick, fag. what's the difference???
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:56 am

horse-faced? i think that may very well be the first time anyone has ever called me that. hahah. dang. harsh there, buddy. let me laugh at that one for a bit longer. hahah. ok. i'm done now. hahah. or maybe not...hahah.

maybe i should chew on some more straw there since i now have a horse-face...hahah. hillbilly horse-faced illiterate chick. i love it.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:58 am

yeah maybe you an sherry could get together an repulse guys...
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 1:00 am

you're a semi-literate hillbilly.

And you're a has-been loser, dirk. How much was your 5% raise (reference to another thread, for those illiterate has-beens to make a connection), $0.25?
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 1:02 am

i think you used that one right
What can I say. It's been on my mind. A lot.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 1:02 am

dirk, when you're trying to connect two ideas, the term is "and", not "an". Who's the illiterate one?

Yeah, I know, double posting is gay. What isn't gay in dirk's world?
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 1:03 am

whoops, sorry Jack, you made my double-posting comment irrelevant. Well, I still am curious about what isn't gay in dirk's world...
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 1:08 am

and maybe you can start adding a "d" to the end of "an" when you are using it as a conjunction. you're calling *me* illiterate?

and i'm cute, by the way. so stuff it, shitmonkey.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 1:09 am

i just finished my book and needed another anyway, i'm in!
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 1:57 am

kevin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 7:44 am

hi theresa. time for bed.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 9:17 am

you probably got into a crappy school usin words like hardly though. maybe you're a semi-literate hillbilly
I was at the bus stop today takin' all the tobackie out of all the tossed cig butts i found this morning, then i roll'm up for a smoke. another tramp beat me to the garbage can and pulled out some pop cans to recycle, aluminium goes for 17 cents a pound these days.

anyway I ran across one of those pamphlets from Lyndon LaRouche, gee wizz he can sure make nonsense out of a simple thought and all those obsure euro theorists whose picture he puts in the pages, out side of putting GW one step above a moron and Cheney as a psychopath I'm having trouble understanding why he places so much importance on geometry. Ok, it can help your pool game, but what's the dealeo with protagoras...
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 4:47 pm

looks like the book club is off to a flying start.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 10:49 pm

i may go ahead and read this. i'm skipping out to go to florida for 5 days in a couple weeks and i think i can finish it by the end of that. i always like good book discussions. i figure that i wouldn't really wanna be reading history on vacation anyway. need something a bit lighter. i'm going to look for this book this weekend.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 10:51 pm

I vote for re-reading "Bunnicula".
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 10:58 pm

i'm with elle, all my leisure reading time is over...and dirk, do i need to start correcting your online grammar again? i thought we already went through this once?
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 10:58 pm

and after "bunnicula", we can read "the celery stalks at midnight"!!!
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 12:53 am

so i'm in the library
do i check this book out or not?
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 1:19 am

uh, yeah. the one i said, not bunnicula
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 1:20 am

It's at least me, norah, kevin, and i'm gonna recruit somea those project runway fans.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 5:04 am

not bunnicula
Um... Excuse me? Does your li'bary not have "Bunnicula"?

Greatest 3rd grade book EVER!
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 5:05 am

By the way, my wife sounds interested in your "Hi-Brow" escapades.

No Bunnicula. Whatever.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 8:32 am

heheh. i'm going to look this weekend for it, lisa. i was just kidding about "bunnicula" and "the celery stalks at midnight". i gotta have some beach reading. :)
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 1:01 pm

It sounds good, Lisa. If I can find it I'll do it. I'm reading House of Leaves right now, and it's getting physically painful.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 11:49 pm

Ewwww.....I just read the jacket.....soundz veddy indesting...I'll go find-y...
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 12:15 am

I checked it out at the library today (not Bunnicula, or House of Leaves, or Devil Wears Prada) but I had to get a large print version. You talked me into it, LisaLisa, but I really HATE bookish discussions. :)
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:05 am

i was at the library today but forget to look for the book.
tomorrow. i'll see how long it is... and how big the print is! i'm blinder than alisa...
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:54 am

It's really weird that you know what book you're going to be reading in two weeks. And the book sounds boring.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 5:29 am

Lisalisa--

I can't read any books--fiction anyway--with plots involving abused kids and women...my job has had enough of that to fill my brain and at this point, no book would beat reality.

Keep me posted on other selects.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 5:34 am

Amazon on Bunnicula...

This...story is told from the point of view of a dog named Harold. It all starts when Harold's human family, the Monroes, goes to see the movie Dracula, and young Toby accidentally sits on a baby rabbit wrapped in a bundle on his seat. How could the family help but take the rabbit home and name it Bunnicula? Chester, the literate, sensitive, and keenly observant family cat, soon decides there is something weird about this rabbit. Pointy fangs, the appearance of a cape, black-and-white coloring, nocturnal habits ... it sure seemed like he was a vampire bunny. When the family finds a white tomato in the kitchen, sucked dry and colorless, well ... Chester becomes distraught and fears for the safety of the family. "Today, vegetables. Tomorrow ... the world!" he warns Harold. But when Chester tries to make his fears known to the Monroes, he is completely misunderstood, and the results are truly hilarious. Is Bunnicula really a vampire bunny? We can't say.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 5:38 am

You're makin that up.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 5:39 am

Am not. Greatest. Book. Ever.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 6:13 am

Are too!!
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:12 pm

It's really weird that you know what book you're going to be reading in two weeks

not really, i put it on reserve at the library which usually takes a week to get to me... also...don't read it then...I am experimenting with
"a bestseller" cuz I usually don't read them since the majority are awfully written but I really just did this so even if one other person reads it I'll have someone to talk about it with...
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:23 pm

So, Lisa,
As a Librarian, are you aware if they have various trade magazines for Libraries and the Library business? Are there any up and coming trends I should be aware of (i.e. massive changes to the Dewey Decimal System)? Is there some universal Statute of Limitations for fines/fees? I haven't been able to use my Library card in about 15 years. And I'm keeping the books...
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:31 pm

Yes, there are many trade magazines...and get this, believe it or not, The Internet is a BIG issue in libraries...so big in fact that nearly every trade magazine over the last 10 years has dedicated at least half of each months issue to it. ALSO, apparently boys age 7-17 really like comic books and it's ok to have them in libraries.

As an aside just to let you know the gravity of library "issues" I was told recently that spine labels (ones denoting the genre of a book) are a "hot button issue" and that I'd do well just to drop the subject.

These are exciting times to be a librarian.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Jack - I'm telling you this now, so in case you're at any sort of "library function" they won't laugh at you - but they use the Library of Congress filing system, not the Dewey Decimal....trust me - you do not want this to happen.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:36 pm

At least my system does... We were at a Christmas party with librarians and Bill made a Dewey Decimal joke and he was nearly lynched.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:38 pm

it was a joke dammit!
geez those librarians get serious when they drink too much.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:38 pm

Tres Controversial. Who decides the genre, anyway? When I write my Great American Novel about Lasers and Fire-Breathing Robots winning the Talent Show as a Rock Band at the local High School, who is to say that it isn't really a metaphor for the Feudal System during the Late Middle Ages of Ireland?
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:40 pm

I've just started going back to the library in the last couple of months. I was SHOCKED to find they no longer use the DD system, and that there is no longer a seperate section for biographies. That just really sucks.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:41 pm

Library of Congress filing system

Wha? Says who? Jesus. Next they'll take away our horses and buggys in favor of motor cars. P'shaw!
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:42 pm

I've just started going back to the library

It's spread to these beloved Southern States????!!!
I believe a visit to Appomattox is needed.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:43 pm

Who decides the genre, anyway?

It's subjective... but I think we all know that any book you write will go in the nerd section...er, sci-fi/fantasy.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:46 pm

Well....

...yeah...
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:47 pm

no longer a seperate section for biographies.

for the 8 people in the world that know how books get filed it actuall makes sense... I think there has been a backlash by libraries to not have to model themselves after book stores where every thing is in neat little sections... It's much better to have them in an arcane semi-arbitrary arrangement. Where music books are in the "M's" but Architecture is "N"
Technology is "T" but geography/history is "D and F" thus giving laymen false hope at ever finding anything.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:01 pm

Lisa, I'd be happy to get in on a book discussion, as well, but I can't this time around.....you should do another one after for sure. Also, I bet you could get asinglespark to join in on one, too. She's into that sorta thing. You know, discussing books.
-Steph
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:15 pm

Well, I like biographies. I'm not real picky about who I read about, and it's nice to have shelves where you can just pick any book and like it. Now, I have to figure out who or what I want to read about, and go FIND it. It makes no sense.
arcane semi-arbitrary arrangement.
Hell, I couldn't even follow that post! How in heck am I ever going to find anything?!
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:17 pm

How in heck am I ever going to find anything?!
Just ask the Librarian for Bunnicula.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:20 pm

you're a Bunnicula.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 9:44 pm

It's much better to have them in an arcane semi-arbitrary arrangement.

archivists follow the same rule of thumb
librarian/archivist - two sides of the same coin i guess
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 9:47 pm

So i got the book today and i've started it... i'm liking it fine but there is stuff that's already bugging me...come Monday hopefully some of you guys will get it and start-a-readin'
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 10:27 pm

Lisa, check out The Tipping Point. I loved it !
Posted: Aug 26, 2006 11:39 pm

I have to finish Hotel New Hampshire cause its due back soon, then I will start reading this, although I really want to read the other book you loaned me with the shining recommendation of "It sucks, I hate it"
Posted: Aug 26, 2006 11:55 pm

i think norah an i should have a book club. let's start out with the joy of sex.
Posted: Aug 27, 2006 1:20 am

norah refused to give me my copy of the book last night so i may be behind in the reading.
Posted: Aug 27, 2006 5:49 am

What are you talking about, kevin?
Posted: Aug 27, 2006 7:40 pm

you don't remember yelling at me and superfluous e about the book outside club foot?
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 9:17 pm

Where music books are in the "M's" but Architecture is "N"
Technology is "T" but geography/history is "D and F" thus giving laymen false hope at ever finding anything.

Thus guaranteeing us jobs for years to come!

I hope.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 9:44 pm

This book is kind of stinky so far.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 9:45 pm

you know it!
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 9:46 pm

I want to find out what the scoop is but the writing is a little overwrought.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 12:27 am

I'm only on page 24 but she's already lost me by talking about how she hates her thighs. I will finish it, of course. Right, Seabiscuit?
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 12:34 am

OK - i'm not in for "beautiful lies"
i got too much to juggle right now
reading for pleasure not on deck...
next one i hope....
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 12:40 am

Greatest. Book. Ever.

Sorry, but the greatest book(s) ever are the The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 12:51 am

Sorry, but the greatest book(s) ever are

ULYSSES - James Joyce
THE ELIZABETHAN WORLD PICTURE - EMW Tillyard (non fiction. reading this short work will help you completely understand Shakespeare and Marlowe - and then the written word-world will truly become your oyster)
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 2:57 am

OK - i'm not in for "beautiful lies"
i got too much to juggle right now

Me, too. Sorry! Lots on my plate right now! But I probably can do the book club thing starting in October.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 3:11 am

i didn't realize how much reading for my actual classes i was going to have to do in the first week. i'm already buried and i've had one class. le sigh.

but i at least got my topic for my final paper already figured out for my regional history seminar. :D it'll be cool to see how it turns out. i'm going to be reading about sluts and booze and drugs in memphis in the 1920-30's. better than fiction!
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 3:26 pm

I'm only on page 24 but she's already lost me by talking about how she hates her thighs.

just wait till you get to the part where she refers to herself as "hip" after saying she wears tommy clothes. I don't like how sure she is about everything about herself... I'm this, I don't like that, I'm always this way...Oops maybe It's a clever little device to make me think she knows everything and then it turns out she doesn't know a thing!!!! no duh.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 5:16 pm

~She just received the envelop last night before I went to bed. I hate her already....she's independently wealthy.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 5:43 pm

just wait till you get to the part where she refers to herself as "hip" after saying she wears tommy clothes.

referring to herself as hip with a (well, I AM) after it. She's got a strange grasp of writing. As does her editor.

I don't like how sure she is about everything about herself

Hey, but she doesn't like her thighs!

Oh oh! "Yummy tattoo boy upstairs"!!!!!
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 5:44 pm

this book reads like a made for tv movie script, and we all know how much I love Lifetime, so I might end up loving it!
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 5:50 pm

It's kind of bizarre b/c all of the reviews I read praise the writing... but she makes all of this ridiculous grand statements like "it's a little known fact that all parents are superhero's"?!?!?!
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 5:51 pm

and the written like a movie script was my biggest complaint about
"The Ruins" where it seems like the are totally aware of the chance of it being optioned for a movie...if it hasn't been already.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 5:52 pm

Should've stuck with Bunnicula.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 6:34 pm

Praise the writing??!!! This is one of the worst written shlock shit books I've ever started! It is rife with bad cliches...just like writing "it is rife with bad cliches." To be fair, I don't much go in for novels. But hey, I could write this crap, and I'm no writer.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 6:37 pm

"We had a great friendship, good sex, a shared passion for the dinosaur romm at the Museum of Natural History and Haagen-Dazs French Vanilla ice cream, among other things. But love is more than the sum of its parts, isn't it?
YECH!
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 6:42 pm

I suppose this is why I don't read this kind of book usually but it's fun to branch out sometimes...maybe not this time though...and another reason I never understoon the Left Behind craze, since they are written at about a 5th grade level. sometimes conversation is more fun when people hate a book...so trash away.

Next book we choose will be better and we'll take a vote.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 6:52 pm

check this out! she will discuss her book over speaker phone or answer any questions...maybe I can get her to come on here and defend the book! that would be great!

http://www.lisaunger.com/readinggroups.htm
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 7:15 pm

you broads don't know shit about books or music. lemme know when you wanna take your tops off...
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 8:21 pm

At least we're talking about it, right?
She's probably googled herself and seen this thread already.

This reminds me of an episode of the Parkers, where Mo'nique went to a rich ladies book club to try to drum up caterering business (why is every tv show mom in the 80s in advertising or caterering? The parkers are behind) and she ended up criticizing the book and the author was there and loved being criticized.

I need cable.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 9:57 pm

just as i was getting interested in the plot there is an AWFUL sex "scene"
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 11:42 pm

that sex scene was pure grade D adolescent potboiler action. It was awful AND terrible. God, I don't see how she refrained from using "throbbing member" as she used every other freaking ROMANCE NOVEL stock phrase.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 1:23 am

Does Jake tear open her bodice, revealing her heaving bosom? OOOOH DONT TELL ME!
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 3:44 pm

I stayed up all night finishing this book. Once the plot got more detailed, the annoying writing let up some. Anyone else finish it yet?
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 3:50 pm

I am over half way... probably finish it today/tonight...it's a pretty quick read.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 3:51 pm

I kind like the fact that 3 or 4 different people that she "trusts" are telling her not to believe the others...
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 4:01 pm

OH JUST YOU WAIT!

also, she ties up all the loose ends by the end, which I like because I'm always the person who, at the end of a movie, is going "What? Why did they end it there, I need to know what happens for the rest of their lives!" but instead of THE END at the...well at the end, it says "THE BEGINNING". GAY!
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 4:04 pm

I'm almost finished, too.
Speaking of GAY!, did you read the dedication? Now that's some gay shit!
When y'all are all finished I'll write my little review.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 4:05 pm

Sorry, but the greatest book(s) ever are

ULYSSES - James Joyce
THE ELIZABETHAN WORLD PICTURE - EMW Tillyard (non fiction. reading this short work will help you completely understand Shakespeare and Marlowe - and then the written word-world will truly become your oyster)

(Stumble, stumble...
Wow!)
That is some serious bullshit, I mean, you must be making a joke, but it just doesn't seem to do the trick.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 4:08 pm

where is sherry? she's reading too...
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 4:27 pm

I just asked my mum:

'Ulysses is the longest and lamest joke in worldliterature, apart from a few scenes that are written quite reasonable if you take in consideration what the guy had going for him as a talent. Oh, and spare me the ode to the ending cause if I wanna hear a bitch with overripe tits babbling like that, I'll just go next door to my sister.'

'That Tillyard thing is crap. First blow some SCIENCE over both asses to quit rumours about them being one and the same before you degrade Shakespeare into the man that was completely understandable. Fuck me twice but it might just have been your typical English business cooperation ran by some penpalls, that Shakespeare. Doesnt make his work more clear though. Too much good arguments on both sides you know. Drives you nuts. If I want to hear the neighbours fight I don't need me no Shakespeare or Marlowe or the watchamacallit they truely were, I just go next door to my sister.|'

But that just my mum talking.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 4:27 pm

wait, did Max steal children from undesirable families?? or something like that?
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 5:37 pm

I'm not sure, I'm almost at the end...but I've been able to figure that out from about page 30. Probably began because his ice-queen wife was barren.
Doctors love to play God.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 5:54 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like the author, who lives in Florida, by the way, was like "oh, i love sex in the city, being a writer in NYC is so glamorous" even though this character seems to have no friends whatsoever, has refered to herself as "hip" at least twice, and is a complete moron who "fell" for a guy only based on his dragon tattoo and who contiuously shows himself to not be honest ... in short, she sucks.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 5:56 pm

Yeah. Harold the dog was way cooler.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 6:20 pm | Edited by: Alisa

Oh MAX...got confused for a minute there. Right now I'm thinking maybe he didn't really go off that bridge.
LisaLisa...you've hit one of the nails on the head. The character of Ridley (FERCRISSAKES!) is one of the least attractive heroines I've ever encountered. She constantly LAME NAME dropping, and talking about NYC in the most stereotypical of yuppie terms. She's also just an idiot.
Mostly it sounds like the author hated her mother, has been in extensive analysis (jeesus god spare me one more philosophical or psychological proclamation), and has the emotional/romantic range of a middle schooler.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 6:44 pm

where is sherry? she's reading too...

I am....but I can BARELY read!!
I'm practically barefoot as well!

I'm on Chapter 5 :-(
I've been busy (NOT drinking either)...

You're a fucking brainiac librarain, LL, you better fucking be able to read a book quickly or you're FIRED!

Uuuhhhh....I have more excuses if that'll work too.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 6:50 pm

norah finished first...it goes fast once you get over the shittiness.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 7:49 pm

Finished... random thoughts...

- I love that the organization was called "project rescue" because everytime I read it I secretly called it "project runway" and pretended that Timm Gunn was Uncle Max and Michael Korrs and Nina Garcia were Ridley's parents and got a good chuckle.

- It's apparently the "little things" and "choices" that make the world go 'round... if this isn't the most obvious "wisdom" ever I don't know what.

- also, up until the last page I was convinced (or at least hoped) that Jake was a bad guy b/c Ridley is an annoying asshole that didn't deserve a "happy-ish" ending.

- I kind of like reading annoying pageturners, it's my new thing I think.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 10:59 pm

I've finished it, too. I'll save a summing up until everyone's finished?
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 12:01 am

dang, i never got a chance to read it. next time, next time.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 1:15 am

Posted: Aug 31, 2006 7:10 am

Yeah, I didn't even notice that she had no friends except her exboyfriend who tries to ___________ her.

Uncle Max as Tim Gunn "Where's Rid-lay?"

Also, there was blood on my book. LIterally.

And thanks for passing all your annoying pageturners on to me. I'm actually interested in the Ruins though. Not loving it loving it, but not hating it like you did.

Kevin, you can read it, we'll wait. You'll get it Friday.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 7:11 am

also, orange mohawks (SO over).
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 7:17 am

To conclude:
I also asked my mum about Finnigans Wake and she said: 'If I want a beerfart as long as time flies from someone with Korsakov I just go sit next to your dad and pinch his belly.'

Which made my dad laugh out so loud he almost choked on a rib.

Well. That's all we know about books I guess.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 5:51 pm

So I think of the 4 of us that read 3 are definitely done and Sherry might be almost there... My nominations for the next book if you're still with me are:

Only Revolutions by Mark Danielewski (comes out next week)
Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs by Irvine Welsh
The Loser's Club by Richard Perez
Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood by Koran Zailckas

thoughts or other books anyone's wanted to read and bitch about...
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 7:17 pm

Can we read the Irvine Welsh book cause I know my liberry has it. And I've never read one of his books.

Kevin? did you get it? I need to find his copy, Lis. I think its in Carole's car. And i just finished The Ruins. the end made me mad.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®