Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / what's your favorite New York Dolls song?
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 4:33 pm

Why don't you tell me .....Who are the MYSTERY GIRLS? Ahhhhhhhhh Mystery!
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 5:25 pm

vietnamese baby
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 5:29 pm

Jet Boy
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 5:31 pm

HUMAN BEAN
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 7:42 pm

trash (well, today it is)
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 7:49 pm

Puss n Boots
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 9:08 pm

I love most of 'em. I couldn't pick a favorite.
I really like their cover of "standin' in the Jungle"; just to say it in passing.
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 9:24 pm

Um, Stranded In The Jungle? I actually don't like their version at all. I really hate those corny Rocky Horror back up singers. The version of 'Frankenstien' from "A Hard Night's Day" is my fave.
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 9:28 pm

Oops! Yes, "Stranded". I wrote it in an aweful hurry.
It doesn't sound great, it's the idea of picking that song that I was referring to. You wouldn't find some SEx pIstoLs or other such shit bands picking stuff like that out of the woodwork. The piano alone in the original does trump the Dolls' though, doesn't it?
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 9:29 pm

"Traaaaaaaaaaaaaash" straight off da first LP. Very dope.
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 9:43 pm

I can't pick a fave. One thing about the doll's covers was that they always picked tunes that weren't of the "ordinary" love song type. All of 'em were as weird and idiosyncratic as any original.
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 9:45 pm

it's the idea of picking that song that I was referring to.

They also cover Bo and The Coasters and the Shangri-las. That Stranded song was a moderate hit. And the Dolls were way closer to that era of music than the Pistols so It's al;ways made semse to me that they would cover that stuff. Plus unlike the pasty Pistols, the Dolls are good ol American boys that know what real rock n roll is.
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 9:45 pm

i LOVE the way the dolls do "pills"
one of the best R&B-to-Rock n ROLL covers ever
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 10:19 pm

Hell Yeah!
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 10:40 pm

"Lookin for a Kiss"
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 10:55 pm | Edited by: Adam K

"Lookin' For A Kiss" or "Human Being", probably...

As for live stuff/videos, the version of "Trash" on "All Dolled Up" where David Johanssen sings/raps the first bit of "My True Story" (my fave doo-wop song) in the middle drove me crazy when I saw it. I love the footage of them doing "Chatterbox" on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert also. Johnny Thunders in full swagger, David Jo swinging those pearls (chains?)...too cool.

Posted: Aug 20, 2006 11:17 pm

i was talkin w/ my roommate last night about the current state of the "dolls"

she very much LOVES what's going on with the dolls now and i told her that i saw the dolls in 2004 and also in 1973 and there was just NO comparison. except for david and syl - it is NONE of the same people for starters...none of the same vibe.... because a lot of it had to do with it BEING the 70s

and i think she got it intellectually... but she's 10 years younger than me, so when I was rockin out to the Dolls, she was 5 or 6...... so the "dolls' are just another nostalgia show BUT for people who like this kind of music but were kids when it happened, its a chance to emulate/simulate a bygone era... and they get the bonus of having the songs sung by the guy who sang em in the first place. but they don't get to see johnny or killer. which is really sad. nothing like thunders. full swagger.... yeah yeah yeah!!!
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 11:46 pm

So difficult to pick one song but Puss N Boots has always been a favorite of mine.

Can anyone defend the new album? I haven't heard it except for that lame 'Monkey' song and I have no intentions of getting it.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 12:01 am

Personality Crisis
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 12:12 am

PILLS is my favorite,of course...but I love 'em all.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 12:13 am

Cum On Feel The Noize
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 5:04 am

Where's the love for Chatterbox? That song is the proto-type for thousands of garage & glam bands that followed in the Dolls wake.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 1:22 pm

Private World, inspired by Batista, apparently . . .
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 1:31 pm

Aaaah how you call your loverboy?
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 1:50 pm

Yeah. C'mon, it's all great, but Chatterbox is the shit.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 1:51 pm | Edited by: m t millionaire

"Trash" or "Lookin' for a Kiss" - tie
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 1:52 pm

leave me alone.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 4:04 pm

How many times I gotta tell ya baby "It's Too Late"...
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 3:46 pm

Personality Crisis You got it while it was HOT.
This is the first one that came to my mind, but I'd say it's a tie with "Trash" ... I just love the way he sings that: "Treayash-" I also love that one song on a David Johannson solo album, "Funky But Chic." I can't remember the name of the album. That song just describes so much of my existence for the past several years...
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 3:55 pm

I love the footage of them doing "Chatterbox" on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert also.

Wow, that video is awesome.
Posted: Aug 23, 2006 11:40 pm

red pattent leather,& funky but, funky but,funky but chic!
Posted: Aug 23, 2006 11:50 pm

The last week it's been the versions of "Lonely Planet Boy" and "Subway Train" off the Seven Day Weekend record...It's hard for me to name an absolute all time top favorite. It would be just as hard for me to name a least favorite too (well, not taking the new album into consideration...I got a promo for it and...umm...It's cool David JoHansen album that's got Sylvain Sylvain playing on it...but it ain't the Dolls)
Posted: Aug 23, 2006 11:53 pm

I can't remember the name of the album.

i thought it was an eponymous album.... "David Johansen"
with his face filling up 90% of the cover
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 12:15 am

Anyone ever bought"From pumps to pompadore"?
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 12:53 am

That first David Johansen solo album is a real gem. Frenchette would have been my answer on this thread had it been a Dolls tune (which is was at one time, just never recorded though)
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 1:02 am

Pills
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 1:15 am

I liked the "Bad Girl" NBT cover...
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 8:23 am

I like "Elton, let me suck your cock"
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 8:26 am | Edited by: SinglesGoingSteady

JET BOY!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®