Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Pink Spiders? I'm confused.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:06 pm

I just saw an article on them in Rolling Stone... Vintage gear,New York Dolls shirt,white sunglasses,one of 'em even looks like Jeffrey Novak! They even cite "Power Pop" influences? I guess they already played the Warped Tour too.

I love not knowing anything about modern Pop Culture,but has the watrered down version of "our thing" made it to the mainstream? The same issue has a positive writeup on Dead Moon,an article about Arthur Lee(RIP)'s passing,a good review of a Rockabilly comp Rhino did and Christina Aguilara's new "Retro" Soul/Andrews Sisters makeover. Weird.

But i'm getting ahead of myself... I guess the PSpiders are from Nashville so that's why i wrote this. Anyone down there know who they is?
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:09 pm

I read it too. I think they're one of those bands that starts big and then dissappears.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:39 pm

horrible.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:42 pm | Edited by: bvalentine

The worst part about that band is that http://www.myspace.com/bobferrari ]Bobby Ferrari[/url] faggot. "Worlds greatest drummer"? Dream on homo. Nashvilles sucks!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:44 pm

why the fuck would anyone want to read rolling stone magazine?!?!?!? bands like the pink spiders are perfect fur that trash. now, THE PINK SEXIES. there is fuckin' band!!!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:46 pm

"it sounds bad." "horrible."

How come i'm not surprised?

Any local dirt though? I'm less curious about what they sound like as i am what kinda connection they might have,if any,to Nashville Goners on here.

That one dude in the Dolls shirt looks a lot like Novakula... it's either him or he should sue this guy for stealin' his look!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:48 pm

why the fuck would anyone want to read rolling stone magazine?!?!?!?

stuck on an airplane for seven hours and there was a paragraph about snakes on a plane. i actually bought it for the kurt vonnegut interview. it's a decent issue to tell you the truth. the guantanamo bay article is totally fucked.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:49 pm

"General Interests: having unprotected sex while doing drugs with intravenious needles, huffing duster, smoking marlboro reds, tall borderline anorexic women, black coffee, colt 45, punk shows, parties."

Quick, somebody give this guy a trophy!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:50 pm

My roommate brought RS home. He bought it for the Dead Moon writeup. He's one of the 'Moon's biggest fans and has gone as far as putting out a tribute CD of their songs on his label.

I guess you're right though,s.d.,i shouldn't have read it.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:51 pm

Nashville Goners on here

They don't exist.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:12 pm

It's a new, godawful phenomenon bands that get famous and sign to a major all thanks to MySpace.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:27 pm

It's prodouched by Ric Ocasik so you can imagine the sound: Weezer and pop punk mixed with a cars/synth thing in some parts. Not at all cool, definately stream-lined for the direct consumption of overweight 14 year old emo girls.

They had a "contest" on myspace to win an autographed copy of the CD...I replied to the bulletin asking if the CD would be signed by "them, or Weezer?". No reply.

The only saving grace this band has is that the video for "Little Razorblade" has a five second clip of a hot blond chick pulling a knee-high stocking over her bare legs...mmmm...thanks dudez.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:31 pm

also, how is Bob Ferrari a subsitute teacher when he says he has "some college"? Can you subsitute teach without a B.A.?? Wtf.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:35 pm

prodouched

Best new word of the decade.

Joe, don't read that shit. It'll mess with yer brain, what little there is left of it.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:35 pm

Can you subsitute teach without a B.A.??

Moat states require junior standing with a course in school law.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:36 pm

prodouched

Best new word of the decade.

That's not new at all. Look at the back of some 10 year old Crypt stuff.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:36 pm

And I'm sure it goes back further.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:39 pm

Moat states require junior standing with a course in school law

Hrmmm I did not know that.

Lead swinger from this band kina looks like the douche from The Hives.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:40 pm

You know, it's all about self-confidence... as long as you convince yourself you're the shit, others will believe it to. I guess record industry folks are just as dumb as girls.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:44 pm

i listened to their myspace songs a week or so ago as they had huge ads in all the local papers for their album. really awful tween music. i was wondering if they were actually from a city or just pieced together by geffen and i saw somewhere that they were "on the road 80-90% of the time." seeing how no one i know has ever heard of them i find that a litlte hard to believe.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 8:09 pm

Crypt

Best new label of the decade!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 8:53 pm

i saw em live in nashville about a year and a half ago at the sutler. at their merch booth they had one inch round buttons of each members head. they had a pretty good turnout considering nashville locals hardly ever come out to support rock n roll. they weren't the worst band. i mean id rather be forced to listen to them than listen to the current issue of rolling stone on tape.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:50 pm

i remember seeing them play a few years back at the caravan and they were pretty lame. i couldn't stand them. they've been around for awhile, and they've seriously sucked it for awhile. heh.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:19 pm

I saw them two years ago when they played the basement of Barely Legal (house) here in Milwaukee with our friend Josh from Huntsville filling in on second guitar. I thought they were good live so I bought their self-released 12" and IT SMOKES. Seriously, I can see these guys dumbing it down to cash in now but that first record is amazing--sounds like early Rocket from the Crypt meets the Marked Men--instantly memorable and unique songs. If they hit the bigtime I'm sure it will be worth a mint instantly but it's way too good to sell. No shit.

-Ryan
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:21 pm

sounds like early Rocket from the Crypt meets the Marked Men

OH MY GOD! It must be great!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:23 pm

That's hilarious, Josh was in that band? Is that why he moved back from 'Sconsin to Bamalama under the cover of darkness?
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:28 pm

OH MY GOD! It must be great!

Hhaha B. Joe is my favorite.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:53 pm | Edited by: judge

My thoughts exactly!

I wuv you bazookie.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:56 pm

Why are there only like three bands with any balls in the world right now? Oh wait four, I forgot my own band the Wrong Numbers.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:15 am

These guys were a unknown myspaceband that got invited to The Viper Room to play for some A&R types and were signed on the spot.. Rumor has it that they got almost a million $ sigining bonus...Playe din memphis a year ago to 8 people...
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 2:54 am

How can I get a gig at the Viper Room? Preferably on A&R night...
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 2:55 am

seriously, though, it's amazing how much in the rock industry is based on connections/chance occurances. That's crazzzzy.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 3:33 am

I just cracked open my copy of The Intelligence 4 track 12" tonight and that shit was DOPE! So, five bands.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 3:43 am

Yeah, I was flipping thru the pages of a lame magazine called AP and saw a big spread on them. They had that whole garagepunk ny dolls looks, but then I remembered that this was AP I'm reading which usually covers macho homoerotic hardcore or lame emo rock. I was right. They were bad bad imitation power pop. Thank god for MOTO
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:09 am

Pink Spiders..I was hoping for more info on bad bathtub hooch and it's effects on the nevous system
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 9:27 am

PINK SEXIES: knoxville, tn. now THIS is what the world needs, more Lebonese lead singers and more jewish bass players. and you thought YOU were punk rock!!!
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 10:01 am

So, five bands.

ummm who are the other three?
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 10:13 am

this thread has been officially overtaken by THE PINK SEXIES, crush pink spiders, cuddle PINK SEXIES.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 3:30 pm

So, five bands.

ummm who are the other three?

Cheater Slicks, Hipshakes, Alarm Clocks.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:23 pm

RJ-You can sub without a BA but you have to take extra certification courses.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:51 pm

Well what if you went to school one day and your sub was...that HOTTIE from Pink Spiders who was just on TRL last week! (swoons, screams)
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 6:15 pm

BJ... I wanna join Wrong Numbers. Get me an application.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 6:19 pm

You'll have to ask Ned Hayden. He's the leader.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 6:21 pm

I just googled it, apparently it doesnt seem to be taken. Better get a lawyer before Tommy Lee or Gene Simmons finds out!

Oh wait... they're only interested in stealing clearly establish band names.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®