Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Underappreciated 2nd Records
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 8:59 am

Sure, everyone's wet over the "instant classic" debuts, but what about the 2nd LP? The list is numerous, but I just gotta list a couple...

The Gun Club - Miami

Wire - Chair's Missing

Devo - Duty Now For The Future

Blue Cheer - Outsideinside
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:31 pm

tom petty & the heartbreakers - "you're gonna get it"
the first album was an auspicious debut - and was indeed a strong one, but i LOVE the second one just as much and find it more eclectic, tho it does have one dud track... thankfully, its the last song on side 2, so i can pretty much ignore it....even though it has funny lines in it that DO make me smile
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:44 pm

Since Jack White is viewed as some kinda traitor I'll probably catch hell for this but 'De Stijl' is the best White Stripes album.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:47 pm

Also the Romantics National Breakout

...still gonna blame Wally Palmar for the Mystery Girls debacle though.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:57 pm

'De Stijl' is for sure their best record.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:59 pm

Mountain- Mountain Climbing
Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself
Michael Schenker Group-MSG
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:03 pm

Blue Cheer - Outsideinside

Just found this tape at my parents' house and listened to it for the first time since high school, over ten years ago. That fucking album rules. I remember being blown away by them back in the days of grunge when Mark Arm or whoever it was name-dropped them a lot. I think I like this one better then Vincebus Eruptum. Perfect blend of psych and hard rock.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:03 pm

...still gonna blame Wally Palmar for the Mystery Girls debacle though.

i'll jump on that train, dale

and i agree w/ you re: white stripes
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 11:14 pm

wierd al yankovic in 3-d
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:24 am

Too Much Too Soon- Yeah, I know, but Shadow couldn't kill Chatterbox or Puss'n Boots or Babylon.

Leave Home- saddled with a poor cover photo (in between 2 of the best cover shots of all time) but that's about the only bad thing I can say.

The Beatles Second Album- American Beatles, sped up with extra reverb in mono. The only beatles record I can still listen to all the way through. Fuck the Beatles. I can say this though, the guy who originally mastered this record was a fuckin' genius.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:43 am

The Shadows of Knight - Back Door Men

Try finding a clean copy of it, too. The 2nd records many times is like issue #2 of a lot of comic series.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 8:31 am

I'll admit it. Get Your Wings is way better than our debut.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 8:38 am

I'll admit it. Get Your Wings is way better than our debut.

& neither are as good as Rocks
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 8:40 am

This is true but Draw The Line is the one that people seem to ignore the most out of all the records we actually played on.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 8:46 am

and Joe - some of the later work... i mean... c'mon....
i thought you were in a ROCK N ROLL BAND!
leave the power ballads for bon jovi
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 8:49 am

and Joe - some of the later work... i mean... c'mon....
i thought you were in a ROCK N ROLL BAND!
leave the power ballads for bon jovi

As I said before-We don't even play on a lot of those later records.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 8:51 am

so it WAS BON JOVI
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 9:04 am

A couple of those guys might have been in the studio. You'd have to ask Kate Hudson's dad and that one guy that plays bass for Diane Warren for the total cast. I'll have my secretary call yours.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 9:11 am

I'll have my secretary call yours.

yeah - have your girl call scott rogers
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 9:58 am

T... Burnin' the midnight oil...
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 2:37 pm

I always liked 'Music for Pleasure' by the Damned and could never see what was supposedly wrong with it. The songs are great. And the sleeve is ace! Despite the pink floyd guy producing it, the fact he didnt know what he was doing still kept a bunch of dirt on there. I like the sound of it, the whole record sounds really tense and kind of fucked up sounding. I like this album a lot.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 3:21 pm

draw the line is easily the best aerosmith album. music for pleasure rules. the damned were a great band. but i saw some reunion show at cbgb in the mid-90's an it was one of the most wretched things i have ever seen. but i don't hold it against them. brian james rules.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Capt. Beefheart & His Magic Band - Strictly Personal...sometimes I think I'm the only one who likes this record at all let alone think it's better than "Safe As Milk." "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" is still far and above the best one period.

Zappa/Mothers - Absolutely Free...falling between "Freak Out!" and "We're Only In It For The Money," this one gets overlooked quite a bit I think, but I love it top to bottom.

Badfinger- No Dice...as i typed that one, I thought it actually belongs in that "2nd albums better than 1st" thread, but I think this thread is going to mutate into that one, so here it is.

Beachwood Sparks - Once We Were Trees...same as Badfinger, belongs in "2nd > 1st"...listened to it on acid once right before I moved to Denver to be with my girlfriend and it seemed to be telling me not to go. I shoulda listened. Slut.

Sparks - A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing...actually like the 1st one better, but still think this one goes unnoticed too much.

Spinal Tap - Break Like The Wind...certainly not the masterpiece the soundtrack is, but "Rainy Day Sun" is better than "Listen To The Flower People" and most of the songs really aint too bad, or at least that's what I thought my freshman year when I listened to it every single day.

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon...I always liked this one better than "In The Court..." but I think people don't really pay too much attention to it because it's pretty similar to the 1st in form...

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets...some people don't realise Syd is on "Remember A Day" as well as "Jugband Blues" but stuff like "Let There Be More Light" and "Corporal Clegg" are at least as good as anything on Piper.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:19 pm

Badfinger- No Dice...as i typed that one, I thought it actually belongs in that "2nd albums better than 1st" thread, but I think this thread is going to mutate into that one, so here it is.

oh yeah absolutely. you're the second person i know who likes badfinger. everyone else seems to be either oblivious or in the dark.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:23 pm

Be careful - he also likes Yes!
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:30 pm

well, i'm a closet folkie
and the other guy i know who likes badfinger also likes steely dan
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:41 pm

T.Rex-"The Slider"

"Electric Warrior" rules, too, but "The Slider" wins!
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:44 pm

Be careful - he also likes Yes!
Hey! That's no reason to be careful! Well, unless I started spouting the virtues of "Going For The One" or "Tormato." Which I will never do.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:46 pm

unless I started spouting the virtues of "Going For The One"
I love the slide on that song. Pretty gay to have the nekkid dude in front of some skyscraper on the front cover of the album, though...
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:48 pm

Has anyone ever read that "Rock Snob Dictionary" book? They actually go out of their way (and several times, mind you) to point out that basically anyone telling you how great Badfinger actually is is in essence full of shit. I fucking HATE rock journalism...
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:50 pm

unless I started spouting the virtues of "Going For The One"
I love the slide on that song.

Shit here I go - There is a bootleg live version of that song that i really do like.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:53 pm

man - if anyone has seen the CONCERT FOR BANGLADESH dvd.... Badfinger's playing there, basically as part of the house band... they are SO ON IT.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:14 pm

Beachwood Sparks - Once We Were Trees

this album isn't under appreciated at all by BS fans, but I guess you did say it should go in the other thread. But i'm not so sure i'd say OWWT is better than the first.....I've been listening to that first one so much again lately and god, it's perfect.

man...i miss that band. It truly is a shame that they broke up. Mike, you hear the new tyde album? not so good, i think, but I hope they tour for it, they are really fun live.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:19 pm

Undertones-Hypnotised.

I think Electric Warrior was actually T-Rex's 2nd album.

I think Too Much Too Soon is a really good record, sounds wayyy better than the first. Just listen to the guitar sound on "Human Being", fucking great.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:39 pm

I think Too Much Too Soon is a really good record, sounds wayyy better than the first. Just listen to the guitar sound on "Human Being", fucking great.

It's not the sound itself, it's little things in the arrangements of the songs like the backing vocals and extra instruments that can in some cases weigh the tunes down. I have different demo versions of pretty much every song on the record and I think that in a lot of cases the demos let more soul shine through. Now this ain't to say I think the album sucks or anything, after all I did throw it into this stew because I really do think it's underappreciated.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:59 pm

Has anyone ever read that "Rock Snob Dictionary" book? They actually go out of their way (and several times, mind you) to point out that basically anyone telling you how great Badfinger actually is is in essence full of shit. I fucking HATE rock journalism...

No kidding. That's ridiculous.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 6:42 pm

"Electric Warrior" was 1971, "The Slider" was 1972.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 7:08 pm

but T. Rex was 1970.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 7:14 pm

demos suck. too much too soon rules!!! (even though i hate to agree w/ mr. fag action)
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 7:15 pm

"Electric Warrior" was 1971, "The Slider" was 1972.

T-Rex S/T was 1971 as well, but it came out a few months before "electric..."

so yes, "Electric Warrior" is the second T-Rex LP.

more great 2nd LPs

Van Halen II (come on "Lighting Up the Sky" kills)

Iron Maiden "Killers" their best

Judas Priest "Sad wings of Destiny" their best

Scorpions "Fly to the Rainbow" their best

Jimi Hendrix "Axis Bold as Love" The Experience's finest
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 9:35 pm

and there you have it, I stand corrected.
actually, I'm sitting down.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 10:09 pm

Stooges - Funhouse

I would hazard a guess that the 1st album and Raw Power are the more popular of the Stooges records even though Funhouse is the pinnacle of rock and deserves to have sold 200 million copies.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 10:19 pm

no way man. Besides the fact that this is probably the greatest album ever recorded in history...this is surely the most celebrated stooges album. i'd hope anyway.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 10:44 pm

have you noticed bands having a streak of good records in groups of three?

stooges

dylan (my 3 sets = bringing it all back home/highway 61/blonde on blonde and then morphs into a nashville trilogy of blonde on blonde/john wesley harding/nashville skyline)

stones (beggars banquet, let it bleed, sticky fingers - although i think exile on main street is the best thing ever)

beatles ( uk releases: rubber soul, revolver, sgt pepper)

and of course the list is endless, i'm sure (as in the 3 studio reigning sound albums)
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 10:47 pm | Edited by: leftpeg

Stephanie, It's the most critically celebrated, but also the least "accessible". Just think about all those punk bands in their mothers' basements trying their hand at "I Wanna Be Your Dog". It's kind of like wondering why the Cheater Slicks aren't a household name - not "garage" enough for the garage rockers, not "punk" enough for the punk rockers, and too rock'n'roll for the "Sonic Youth" types.

And my very unscientific method of determining popularity.
Amazon Sales Rank (remastered versions)
Stooges #11,447
Funhouse #31,067
Raw Power #4,601
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 10:49 pm

And my very unscientific method of determining popularity.
Amazon Sales Rank (remastered versions)

not so UNscientific!
you'd be surprised at how many "executives" consult amazon sales rankings
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 10:51 pm

have you noticed bands having a streak of good records in groups of three?

maybe worthy of anohter thread altogether

Motorhead - Overkill, Bomber, Ace of Spades
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:08 pm

I was gonna jump on the Funhouse statement until you posted this:
Stooges #11,447
Funhouse #31,067
Raw Power #4,601

People are dumb. It's the greatest record ever made. Duh!
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:09 pm

but wait, now i'm confused....according to amazon, funhouse sold nearly 20,000 more copies than the first, so making it more popular and not underappreciated.....looks to be very much appreciated for those buying those reissues.

i agree, leftpeg, but just because something is not accesible shouldn't determine if it's underappreciated, right? i mean, if that's why you put it down.

i could be totally wrong. i mean, i guess all those stooges fans i know all believe the second one as their greatest.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:10 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

wait...is that copies sold?

that's not copies sold. alright, take back my first paragraph above. leave the other two.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:13 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

i mean - its AMAZON and those are RANKINGS

RAW POWER seems to have moved more units. its higher on the list
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:16 pm

so, i should read that as (according to amazon sales figures):

raw power>stooges>funhouse

?

(sorry, my brain is retarded today)
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:18 pm

wowie zowie.

well then, yes, amazon shoppers apparantly don't appreciate funhouse! man, are they missing the boat, huh?
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:20 pm

and of course the list is endless, i'm sure (as in the 3 studio reigning sound albums)

hahaha.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 12:01 am

Buzzcocks - Love Bites. But all of their original lineup albums are underappreciated compared to Singles Going Steady.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 12:32 am

so, i should read that as (according to amazon sales figures):

raw power>stooges>funhouse

?

(sorry, my brain is retarded today)

Yes. That's what it means. And I'm sure the majority of us on the Goner Board think that Funhouse can't be topped, so it's not under-appreciated by anyone here, just elsewhere among the wider circle of people who have heard of the Stooges.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 1:12 am

S/T was actually the 5th T-Rex album.......
When People Were Fair....
Prophet, Seer....
Unicorn.....
A Beard of Stars.....
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 1:15 am

it's kind of a different band, though....Tyrannousaurus Rex....he kicked out Steve Peregrin Took & got Mickey Finn & some loud amps & the rest is T-Rex....

they're both great. hobbit rock!
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 1:15 am

also : Beard of Stars is an awesome record
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 1:20 am

i mean - its AMAZON and those are RANKINGS

RAW POWER seems to have moved more units. its higher on the list

I wonder if the remix/master (which I guess sounds better in some respects but blows in plenty more others) has anything to do with that.

FUNHOUSE rules.

What? No one so far has brought up 'Back In The USA' by the MC5 yet? Good...that's such a flat sounding record...High Time kicks it ass all over the place.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:29 am

Buzzcocks - Love Bites. But all of their original lineup albums are underappreciated compared to Singles Going Steady.

When J's right, he's right, & he's right.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:55 am

And though I adore both New York Dolls albums...I gotta give the 2nd one a bigger gold star.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:02 am

not to denigrate funhouse, but... 1st stooges record destroys. i don't think funhouse is underappreciated. i think people "know" "i wanna be your dog" until they listen to it again. full-on insanity.

chairs missing v pink flag was an argument i had with todd from his hero is gone way back when... he loved chairs missing! good.

underappreciated? out of place- real kids. not as great, but not as bad as folks think. pop tatari. whoah.

better than the 1st album? decimation blvd, definitely...
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:08 am

The Fallouts second album!!!!
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 2:57 pm

Steve Took left the shire and recorded one of the greatest pysch records ever with Twink, "Think Pink", like, whoa dude.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 3:02 pm

"Raw Power" is clearly the worst of the three, but it still kicks the pants off of almost anything released afterwards....I mean, the Stooges are the fucking Stooges. Dale, you bastard, "Back In The USA" is my favorite MC5 record! It's like "Bloodbrothers" in a lot of ways, the songs are killers (except the stupid oldies covers), but the production is so squeaky clean ya wanna vomit...but if you can get past that, it's the best batch of tunes, I think. The performances come through either way.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 3:26 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

so, uh, what's wrong with the production of Back in the USA exactly?

there is nothing to pick apart on that record......

another thought about funhouse-it's kinda exciting, in a sense, to know that all those peeps buying raw power and stooges are gonna get their minds fucking blown when they finally buy funhouse. raw power was the first stooges record i bought and i was just like "no fucking way. this is the greatest thing i've ever heard" and then i got funhouse next and just about died....
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 3:45 pm

so, uh, what's wrong with the production of Back in the USA exactly?
there is nothing to pick apart on that record......

Seconded.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:08 pm

"American Ruse" - truer now than it was when it was recorded.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:34 pm

"Back in the USA"....

Lisa & I have talked about this too - I used to think that record was unlistenable, but I think it's pretty goddamn listenable these days... those songs are killer! - "American Ruse", "Call Me Animal", "Looking at You", "Tonight", "The Human Being Lawnmower" ! They rule!
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:46 pm

back in the usa is ok. but high time is where it's at. sister anne. baby won't ya. it's like a fred sonic smith solo album. easily my fave mc5.

an as far as underappreciated second albums made in one year hows about complete london toe rag vs. decimation blvd. i was on that year...
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:50 pm

The production vs. what the MC5 were as a live band makes them into an entirely different "animal." In this case, like I said, I LOVE that record because of the songs. It's not recorded very warm like the others they did, though. It's also clean, concise and precise, unlike their ragged and explosive live show. Yo. And "American Ruse" rhymes stasis with molasses - brilliant! And yeah, I'm not a big politico fan or anything when it comes to rock lyrics, but those were chilling when I first heard the song and are definitely still relevant.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:57 pm

"High Times" is my favorite as well Ned, (who knew we had so much in common?)....Gotta Keep Movin' is my jam, though....
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Since Jack White is viewed as some kinda traitor I'll probably catch hell for this but 'De Stijl' is the best White Stripes album

By a long shot.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:04 pm

but todd, you're comparing a live record to studio record. of course, it's gonna sound "clean" compared to KOTJ.

back in the usa is ok. but high time is where it's at.

they're both wonderful! and yes! yay for fred! gotta shaka' shaka'...
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:06 pm

there's a better version of gotta keep movin on the babes in arms record on roir. it has better lyrics. but the whole high times album is so great. an the thing about the stooges was they were progressive in their sound. the first album is raw blue cheer meets'66 garage (w/ a little vu drone rock thrown in), an funhouse is free jazz meets '66 punk (don gallucci produced louie louie) an raw power is heavy metal baby!!! they didn't stay in one place like most bands do.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:03 pm

It's not the songs that I think are bad on Back In The USA (it does contain some of their best tunes actually) but it's the way it sounds. It's way too thin sounding.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:31 pm

Im surprised of the poo-pooing of the sound on "Back in the USA"..its like a punk or hardcore record...all mids and highs, no bottom end...its their most punk album, and pretty much the only recorded evidence that they were punk at all instead of drugged out free jazz rock hippies(not that that is a bad thing)...just a description, not a judgement.
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 5:58 am

You, Sir, are high. "Killers" is the weakest pre-Seventh Son album (which isn't to say it isn't GOOD, but there's NO FUCKING WAY it's the best Maiden album) and "Fly To the Rainbow" had "Speedy's Coming" AND.............???? The trifecta that followed are the best three Scorps albums. Kudos on some level for appreciating the lesser-recognized albums but seriously...

MEGADETH--Peace Sells But Who's Buying
ANTHRAX--Spreading The Disease
D.R.I.--Dealing With It
RAINBOW--Rising
NIRVANA--Nevermind
LEG HOUNDS--Date Your Daughters

-Ryan
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 2:27 pm

You, Sir, are high. "Killers" is the weakest pre-Seventh Son album (which isn't to say it isn't GOOD, but there's NO FUCKING WAY it's the best Maiden album)

I'm not afraid a big pile of quality pot, but I'm down with Killers. Frankly, Wrath Child has spoiled me for all other metal. In fact, the Paul Dianno stuff borders more on punk than it does metal.

Dianno>Dickinson
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 3:03 pm

don gallucci produced louie louie

I think he's actually the keyboard player -- I'm not sure who "produced" it, but seeing as how they only used one microphone whoever it was didn't have too much work to do.

And how exactly is "Nevermind" underappreciated? I mean, I love that album (although i personally prefer "In Utero") but I don't see any lack of appreciation for that record. Rising - definitely underappreciated.
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 4:12 pm

The trifecta that followed are the best three Scorps albums.

yes an argument can be made about "In Trance" and "Virgin Killer"(had a hard time putting "FTTR" before it, but I made my choice and I stand by it) but "Taken By Force" better than "FTTR"...sure killer guitar on "Charon" but what else???? oh yeah, the GAYEST Scorpions song ever "Steamrock Fever"...steamrocks, a fucking sauna song? liitle kids chanting...musta had Rob Halford help them with the lyrics on that one.

I would put "tokyo tapes" ahaead of "Taken"... at least then you get the entertainment of Klaus' broken english spiels inbetween songs... "I hope we will have a good feeling together tonight".
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 4:32 pm

also : Beard of Stars is an awesome record

fuckin A!
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 4:39 pm | Edited by: dirk diggler

don gallucci rules!!!
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 7:14 pm

I think "Run Wolf Run"/"Kung Fu Ramone" is really, really underappreciated. It's the best GW record and probably the best record ever.
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 10:11 pm

Stooges - Funhouse

I would hazard a guess that the 1st album and Raw Power are the more popular of the Stooges records even though Funhouse is the pinnacle of rock and deserves to have sold 200 million copies

no way man. Besides the fact that this is probably the greatest album ever recorded in history...this is surely the most celebrated stooges album. i'd hope anyway

It's not at all the most celebrated. "Raw Power" way, way outsold it and I think the first one did too, though not by as much. They have also always gotten more celebratory press.
"Funhouse" is by far the best Stooges, but if I had a penny for all the people, even know-it-all-hipsters, who think "Funhouse" is annoying and that the far more conventional (yawn) "Raw Power" is great...
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 10:43 pm

it's kind of a different band, though....Tyrannousaurus Rex....he kicked out Steve Peregrin Took & got Mickey Finn & some loud amps & the rest is T-Rex....

you could easily argue either way....I see it as the same band going through a natural progression...
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 10:54 pm | Edited by: cthort

Killers is the greatest Iron Maiden record. Yup. Murders in the Rue Morgue is punk as fuck.
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 8:35 am

MEGADETH--Peace Sells But Who's Buying
ANTHRAX--Spreading The Disease

you like these records and you're calling somebody else out for being "high"

IRONICAL
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 4:15 pm

Those are the best albums by those Megadeth and Anthrax--if you're not into metal then I can't do nothing for ya, homie. And "Murders In the Rue Morgue" will not be denied, but Killers is just too inconsistent.

-Ryan
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 6:46 pm

You, Sir, are high. "Killers" is the weakest pre-Seventh Son album (which isn't to say it isn't GOOD, but there's NO FUCKING WAY it's the best Maiden album)

i'll have to agree. Killers is my least favorite. Wrathchile and Rue Morgue are good, but it's not up there with the others. Actually, I probably like it more than Powerslave.

Most underrated second album: HOTTER THAN HELL.
its better than their debut and Dressed To Kill, yet did not chart as high as either of those.
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 9:17 pm

an the thing about the stooges was they were progressive in their sound. the first album is raw blue cheer meets'66 garage (w/ a little vu drone rock thrown in), an funhouse is free jazz meets '66 punk (don gallucci produced louie louie) an raw power is heavy metal baby!!! they didn't stay in one place like most bands do.

par-TAY!
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 8:03 am

Television "Adventure"
NY Dolls "Too Much Too Soon"
UFO "UFO 2: Flying"
Judas Priest "Sad Wings of Destiny" (duh)
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 10:10 am

rock for light
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 10:13 am

we have come for your children
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 11:51 am

"Adventure" is a precipitous drop from the debut.
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 2:11 pm

Posted: Feb 8, 2013 7:46 pm

the first crue record is way more under appreciated than shout at the devil
Posted: Feb 10, 2013 1:00 am

How in the sam hell did this thread get pulled from thread oblivion? Madcap!

Someone start an underappreciated 3rd album thread! Start with Emerge by The Litter & follow it with [/i]Earth Omen[/i] by Frigid Pink!
Posted: Feb 10, 2013 10:48 am

BOC "Tyranny and Mutation":better than the first, better than the 3rd, but everyone seems to like "Secret Treaties" better because of "Career of Evil" and "Dominance and submission",fine songs, but Tyranny beats it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®