Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / How long can you last?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:46 pm

Just curious...what's the longest you've held out at a job you didn't like?

This one pays well, I'm thinking if I can tamp down my rage and scrape through about six months I'll have a nice cushion saved up and can quit without anything else lined up. I'll schedule a tour or sumthin' and then look for another job when I get back. The having an "exit strategy" methinks will make the daily grind more bearable. In the meantime I'm still lookin' for other gigs.

When I was saving up to move outta Missouri I worked at a shipping warehouse for almost a year, trying to save up some $$$ to move to Austin. That sucked way worse than this does. But I'm also less tolerant of bullshit now, so I don't know how long I can suck it up...we'll see...
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:00 pm

Sorry. The "I've been here fer like an hour and I'm already bored and angry" thread struck a chord with me.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:16 pm

I thought this was a sensual sexual question. Darn.

Me too. So, anyway, the answer naturally depends on how well I can recall the boxscores.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:19 pm

I worked at an Atlanta Bread Company for two years. Quit this past June to be a stay-at-home dad. I seriously can not believe I was there that long -- it destroyed my personality, and I'm not saying that in a sarcastic manner. I'm dead serious, my mental well-being went kaput.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Two years and counting.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:28 pm

I hear you Ronnie. I worked at Quad Graphics (huge magazine factory) for a year and a half. 12 hour days, highly repetitive, mind-numbing, depressing factory work. Extremely loud, so you had to wear earplugs, and not much human contact. Totally destroyed me mentally. I ended up getting fired for coming in late too many times, which ended up being one of the best things that's ever happened to me. I think I'm still recovering from what that did to my brain.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:40 pm

I got a good job now, I've been here about 2 years, But I'm quittin soon for a tour anyways.
Fuck it, people worry about work too much anyways, I'd rather be happy and poor.

But usually i get fired after a year or so, I just get pissed and start pushing the limits of everything till they break and I get fired.
Same with apartments, I usually go through a new apartment every year.
But I've lived in this house for over a year and things are still looking good...and cheap!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:47 pm

Dan, your house rules. Don't fuck it up.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:52 pm

I held onto one job for a little over two years. There were seriously times I thought about shooting the whole place up, Columbine style. I'll tell you one thing, there is no glory in holding a job for a long period of time if it's just some bullshit min. wage gig. "Yeah, I've been at _____ for ten years!" It's like saying you can hit yourself over the head repetedly with a hammer longer than the guy next to you. What a bum world.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:52 pm

I hate where I work, but mostly because I hate working in general. Also, when I started here almost 3 years ago, it was a small local company (well, 450 employees, but handled like "family") which had just sold to a large corporation. The takeover has been gradual, and everything that gave it a real personality has been stripped so it's like any other big, dry corporation in America.
hookorcrook
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:54 pm

on that other job thread theresa said something about never doing "mercenary" work and i have been thinking about that for a week. As much as I'd love to have set my life up to have a full time job doing something more interesting, i think mercenary work is all i've ever done, really. i hated my last job and worked there for 6 years. this one sucks (2 1/2 years in) and everything i am looking at is pretty much just for the money to pay for other stuff I really care about. Just got to find some more tolerable mercenary work. work is going to suck as long as I have a "boss" and I will have to work a job with a boss for a long time to pay stuff off so oh well. i'm used to it.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:13 pm

I hate having a boss but I'm too chickenshit (and lazy) to put my own ass on the line. That's probably the story of over 50% of the workforce. I try to get to the point where my work is fairly autonomous, you know, build up the "cookie jar" and they'll leave you alone. The problem is that once I reach that point I post on the Goner board, read conspiricy theories, walk around, and basically do nothing 80% of the day.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:16 pm

I worked a 60 hour a week job I wasnt completely crazy about for 10 years (with 2 one-year sabbaticals) thrown in there...
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:49 pm | Edited by: John Lennon

I thought this was a sensual sexual question. Darn.

Me too. So, anyway, the answer naturally depends on how well I can recall the boxscores

Rubberbands help a lot.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:03 pm

Dan, your house rules. Don't fuck it up.

Don't worry, I actually take care of this place!

Even though the swimming pool has turned green and stagnant.
(Oh yeah I don't think you were here since we got the pool)
But a lil dynamite come winter time can get rid of that problem.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:15 pm

i lasted a year and a half at my job that i hated. ugh. i can't take it. life's too short to work at a job that makes you want to shoot people.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:52 pm

I worked at an Atlanta Bread Company

Is that the one owned by Buckhead Life? I worked there for two months when I was 21. It was pretty horrible, I was their delivery driver and was responsible for getting the bread out to all their restaurants and other clients. That wasn't so bad, except that I had to be there at like 5 in the morning every day and I only had my motorcycle to get me from home in Grant Park to work in Buckhead, in January!!! I don't know what I was thinking even taking that job, at that time of year anyway.

It all ended after I blew the engine in their delivery van one morning. I guess I didn't notice it overheating, and it wasn't my job to maintain the thing anyway. So it threw a rod, and left me and all the bread stranded on I-85 a couple of miles away from the nearest exit, it was 17 degrees out that morning!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 11:15 pm

I had a job running Chinese food for 9 years off and on. Arrrrggghh the litany of things that would drive me up the wall. Overbearing boss, cheap customers, beating on my car and paying out big$$$$$$$$ to keep it running, fucked up orders I would have to go back and correct, horseshit drivers, cops, aggressive dogs, a constant race against time (I was the only driver) etc.,etc. I stuck with it though 'cuz it paid cash everyday I worked so it was easy to save money. Plus, the boss didn't care too much if I was lifted. Also, my shift started at 4:00 p.m. so I could get loaded the night before. Outside of that the job was unmitigated. It was shitty, degrading, braindead work...
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 11:15 pm

Can I go home yet? Christ!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®