Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Circle Bar?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:08 am

So I'm booking a u.s. tour for this girl band from tokyo and need some help down in new orleans.
I've tried emailing circle bar a few times but never get a response.
If that falls through where else would you recommend down there?
(I've never been to nola)

BOOOOO!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:15 am

what band?

maybe I can help.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:32 am

gito gito hustler

help them out!!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:36 am

why would anybody wanna play new orleans. haven't you heard that it's a contaminated ghost town??? it'll be years until people will be able to live there again. at this point i think womb raider an king louie are the only ones left alive there. an the other fag. wait, i take it back. that doesn't sound do bad after all...
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 4:12 am

i dont think they're really doin shows at the circle bar anymore. i think they're missing a roof.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 4:22 am

when did that happen? i played there a couple of months ago
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:09 am

circle bar still has shows all the time. the roof has been fucked for 40 years before katrina. fema tarp is holding up pretty good after a year.
black rose band packed a shitload of people in there last sat. nite

and anyone talks shit about nola better fuck off. it's fucked down here but it is our home.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:04 am

They played at Beerland during SXSW....pretty fun.....
Call Circle Bar one afternoon....ask for Lefty....
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:46 am

if Gearhead gearantees their guarantee, i'd say go for it!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:58 am

most girl bands suck anyway.

what am i talkin about? ALL girl bands suck .

sorry. u guess i'm a male chauvinis.

bitch.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:30 am | Edited by: colbito

I'm sure this thread will have a happy ending....
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:50 am

that doesn't sound do bad after all...

anywhere sounds excellent if you're not there. :D
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 1:13 pm

hahaha.
There's no guarantee,
The funny thing is they don't sound like the other choad rock that festers on that label, Last time I saw 'em they sounded like a female First Alert or 16 wires-ish-Registrators.
And they're actually into good music.
They asked for a show in memphis for 2 reasons, to go to the Goner store, and to see good bands...ahem Final Solutions should play the show....
And they wanted to play with King Louie in nola, but I always have bad luck contacting him.

Plus I'll be driving them on this tour, so ya'll should come out and get stoooopid with me.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 1:37 pm

god dan.....now that people know you're gonna be there nobody is gonna show up!!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:45 pm

i wasn't talkin shit but i'll gladly fuck off anyway.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:56 pm

Dear Dirk,
Come and down here and check it out and then you can be a bitchface. We got problems, but they are ours. We still eat better than you do.
Love,
blythe
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:59 pm

I'm looking forward to eating everything I see while there.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:00 pm

We can help with that.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:02 pm

I'll help out Gito Gito Hustler just as much as I help out all my bands!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:07 pm

Dear Dirk,
Come and down here and check it out and then you can be a bitchface. We got problems, but they are ours. We still eat better than you do.
Love,
blythe

exactamundo....
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:21 pm

now i'm hungry !
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:21 pm

if new orleans was still underwater i would rather live there than new york city. ya heard?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:33 pm

Ok forgot the shows, I'm just take the girls on a tour of southern food while down there.
I need pointed to all the best food in austin, dallas, memphis and new orleans.
I think the poor girls might explode after that actually...I'm still game though.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:40 pm

gee alix i don't know what nyc will do without you around...
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Thank you Alix...
Chinatowndan, if the girls are into shopping I can help out with that too.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:23 pm

Damn, Dan, I thought CM might-have helped you on this.....so thanks Jason! Thanks, Blythe!

Can't wait to see you, Dan!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:12 pm

The Circle Bar is up and running as of now. Mike Pendleton's country band played there last Thursday night and had a great turnout, but the roof is indeed fucked. It took a lot of damage from Katrina, and it never got fixed. You can see a lot of sky through it from inside the 3rd floor. After nearly a year of exposure to the elements, the 3rd floor apartment looks a lot like my still-ungutted Lakeview house... mold everywhere. Also, the floor or the 2nd floor apartment above the bar's band room has aquired an interesting funhouse effect from water entering through the roof and making its way downward through the building. The men's bathroom in the bar seems to be the final destination for the roof water. It probably won't be long before they have to make the ladies' room a unisex bathroom.

In summary, Circle Bar is up right now, but the future... ???
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Me too sherry!
Me and my tiny daisy duke shorts are ready to party!
p.s. take me to good food in texas.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:32 pm

Damn, Dan, I thought CM might-have helped you on this.....

I passed the info along.. don't know why nobody responded, maybe that date is already booked.

the circle bar is indeed open, has been since october I believe. it quite literally rains in the mens room every time there is a storm. both the owners of the building and the partnership that owns the bar have been completely negligent since katrina so things are being run by people who have good intentions but aren't really being compensated for their efforts. in other words it's operating in true new orleans fashion and with a completely uncertain future.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:51 pm

Here's my Circle Bar conspiracy theory. I don't know if this is correct, but I halfway remember hearing a couple of years ago that the building got designated some kind of historical status, and the owners weren't too happy about it. Maybe they wanted to tear it down and build more Lee Circle condos, but the historical designation prevented that. If this is true, I think that the owners are letting Katrina slowly bring the building to the point where it gets condemned, and then they can finally bulldoze it... if it doesn't collapse on its own first.

If the building does collapse, I hope it happens during a Mangina show. That's the kind of thing that could get them signed.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 10:08 pm

ok, shows booked at circle bar on 10/22.

thanks everyone!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 10:12 pm | Edited by: Whiskey Bent

Awwww.....yay!

That's the kind of thing that could get them signed.

Hee-Haw!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 11:14 pm

glad i could be of help.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 11:39 pm | Edited by: jay reatard

the floor of the 2nd floor apt. has been like that for years......and i hope that the circle never colapses but if it do i would also like for it to happen while mangina is playing....may their stooopid fans would die
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®