Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / ? for tattooed Goners...
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 9:51 am

Just got my second tattoo on friday. First one was a simple outline, healing was fine. This second one is bigger, left shoulder down onto deltoid. Seems the healing is going good, scabbing lightly and evenly. Question is, my bicep is slightly puffy and red. Is this normal, or should I be doing something about it? The puffy area isn't sore or anything. I followed dood's instructions, washing lightly with anti-bacterial soap, patting dry, blahblahblah. Anyone?

ct
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 12:25 pm

antibacterial soap and keeping unscented lubriderm should keep you good. when i got a big filled in tattoo on my arm it looked sort of swollen for a couple of days and was red, but it turned out completely fine. i dunno what nanne tepper is talking about, but i really don't think it should be covered. it needs to breathe so it can scab over and heal.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:12 pm

Covering it with plastic wrap will seal the ink better, keeping the color and whatnot. That, (liquid) soap, and A + D ointment. ANd keep it out of the sun.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:35 pm

I have a lot of tattoos, I have never done the platic wrap. I don't like using lubiderm either. I just use a very small amount of antibacterial ointment and everthing usually works out great. The redness is normal for a day or two, if it stays red and becomes hot to the touch you may have a slight infection. There are a million variables: what color ink was it? (red is notorious for causing irritation), what kind of ink, where it's at on your body, are you dehydrated, etc. You'll probably be fine in a couple of days.

I used to get tattooed on tour sometimes, usually not a good idea while sleeping on floors and Motel 6. i had a few of those get pretty gnarley.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:36 pm

I wouldn't keep resealing it. It'll get drippy, and your skin needs some fresh air. In my experience, plain Lubriderm and baby soap works best. Anti-bacterial soaps might be good if you and your tattoo were doing some Katrina demo work (uncovered.) The calor and edema (redness and swelling) are pretty normal... you did let someone cut you up and rub ink into the wounds. What kinda ink was it? I am very allergic to starbright pink, and when tattooed with it I get a crazy amount of horrid pain and swelling. Make sure you ain't allergic.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:54 pm

DO NOT cover it with anything.

For the first 3 - 4 days you should wash it with antibacterial soap, and then rub a small amount of A+D ointment into it. Do this 3 times a day.

For the next week to 10 days, just wash it 3 times a day with antibacterial soap.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:58 pm

DO NOT cover it with anything.

For the first 3 - 4 days you should wash it with antibacterial soap, and then rub a small amount of A+D ointment into it. Do this 3 times a day.

For the next week to 10 days, just wash it 3 times a day with antibacterial soa

ding!
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 3:56 pm

You all will have very bad tats in a few years

What the fuck do you know? My tattoos in great shape, limiting your uv exposure has more to do with a lasting tattoo, not wrapping it up in plastic. I've been tattooed by two of the world's best and I go with their advice. And the asswipe comment? I'm tired of Eurotrash rippin on us, while they revel in American pop culture. How do you hate us and want to be us all at the same time?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 3:57 pm

For the next week to 10 days, just wash it 3 times a day with antibacterial soap.

Forgot to add, use unscented lotion after washing.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:14 pm

I had the worst heals with that A+D shit. Lubriderm is by far the best tattoo lube 'n heal I've found. The plastic wrap method is supposed to be great, but I've never had the patience. I sleep with the initial wrap over night, clean the goo and pat dry in the morning, then use the 'Derm a few times a day. This works great for everything, even red inks which used to be a bitch of a heal for me for some reason.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Yeah I don't like a & d, I just get the walgreens antibacterial ointment. I tried lubiderm, but I hel better with the ointment. Everybody is a little different, some things work better than others for different people. Seems like the plastic wrap would be bad after the initial first few hours.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:30 pm

All I know is I kept my shit wrapped, l;etting it air occasionally, for almost a week on my last tattoo and the color looks Fan-fucking-tastic. Do whatever you want, your skin's gonna get wrinkly and slough off like snake's coat anyway.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:39 pm | Edited by: carney

Fuck you asshole. If you know anything about tattoos, you'll know the names. Chris Trevino. Dave Lum.

You're showing your ass on an American fucking messageboard you ignorant fuck. Do you have a messageboard for your own eurocentric style of music? Oh wait, that's right, you don't have one.

You started the insult slinging. No one attacked your culture, you attacked ours. Revel in American pop culture? What do you think this mesageboard is about? It's underground pop culture, but pop culture none the less.

There's a reason my ancestors bugged out of Europe. To get the fuck away from the likes of you.

I'll leave the dog fucking to the experts: the Dutch.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:42 pm

So when is Nanne putting out a record by a Dutch band?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:50 pm

Trevino and Lum, both are the bomb. Impressive inkers Carney.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:39 pm

Blind Lemon Jelly
Can I have this stage name, if it's not already taken?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:43 pm

Great Generic European Trash Influenced by - huh? - rock n roll and - what the fuck?!!! - blues.

It wasn't the Low Point Drains was it? If so, that band is horrible.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:54 pm

Who's fucking dogs?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:02 pm

Nope.

Whew
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:06 pm

In general, I try not to fuss with my tattoos - I've gotten infections, and trust me you'll know if you have that. Keep it clean & don't goop it all up, that makes it a dirt magnet. I just wash them a few times a day and use a little lotion/moisturizer when they start to get dry, itchy & scaly.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:08 pm | Edited by: carney

Here you go again with your anti european shit

Dude, you started it. My heritage is part Irish, English, French , American Indianand god knows whatelse. I just don't your condescending attitude. Especially on an American garage/punk/roots forum.

My blues name is Blind Fruity Pebbles, show some respect.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:15 pm

I have no tattoos, I like the Low Point Drains and I'm Dutch, may I post on this thread?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:15 pm

pleeeease???
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:20 pm

Three words: Vitamin E!
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:30 pm

I am somewhat ashamed to be posting here as I don't like attention drawn to my tattoos (it makes me blush and I basically just did them for me without much forethought...lucky for me that they are actually pretty flattering)...but, I think different situations call for different measures. Every tattoo I have had has healed differently depending on where it was, how much slaughter was enacted on my skin etc.

For instance, one on my inside ankle had a hell of a time healing because I used it to punch in the clutch which accelerated blood to the area. It is my ugliest tattoo as its lines bled and part of it scabbed up.

I did the antibacterial soap and the ointment, sometimes I used comfrey instead of A&D and that actually worked the best of all (on my massive tattoo--shell necklace).
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:43 pm | Edited by: Joe Perry

Dudes,
What are you all freaking out about? Just get your personal assistant to worry about it. Aren't you paying them to take care of such things after all? All you should have to concern yourself with is rocking.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 11:23 pm

and play the citar?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 11:38 pm

Ever dealt with a Real American Distro as an European?

What the fuck does that have to do with your lameness Euroboy? If distributors don't take you seriously, it is because you are a joke. Somehow, your shitty attitude makes me weak? I'll argue with you when you have something real to say. I'm done till you come up with something.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 11:56 pm

Sigar?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:01 am

Really, I have no idea what Nanne is saying half the time.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:49 am

nigmen
wow.

i do this: i wrap mine for the first 24 hrs while washing 3 times a day. keeping washing like this for 3-4 days. when it starts drying out i use fragance free lotion. my last was a japanese dragon/water half sleeve and each session healed beautifully.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 4:50 am

This 'Europeans revel in American Pop Culture' is the dumbest thing I ever read on this board.

You must have missed the post where someone said that the Marked Men sounded just like the Get Up Kids.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:24 am

did you get any red ink tattooed ?
if so, some people's skin react funny to red ink and it gets a little extra puffy.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:17 am

No red ink. Just black and blue so far. Went back today, all the guys in the shop said it looked like bruising, but they've never seen it like that. It's not the actual tattoo itself, but starting at the bottom of it, and covering a patch of skin 4 inches by 3 inches below it. It's got that weird shade of yellow bruise I recognized from skateboarding days. Also a tad bit "harder" skin like when you get a bruise. Said it may have been from dood holding my arm while doing it. I dunno. He said to try some ice, and call back tomorrow. Said if it was infected, I would most definitely know by now. We'll see how the saga continues.

And yeah, I had plastic on it for 4 hours (guy said minimum of 3 so that the blood can coagulate, and to keep it moist until it does so). To clean it, I let the water run down over it instead of directly on it, washed with soap gently, and patted dry. He said whatever I do, no matter what, do not ever reapply plastic over it. Nanne, if you could live over here, I'd take you down there just so I could watch you two debate it, and then tell you about my hatred for Revolver as well.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:48 am

Revolver is a great albums by the Beatles. Don't your foreigners know anything about classic rock music?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:36 am

Revolver the magazine is pretty cool. They charge us way less than Rolling Stone to place and article about us in their rag.

Sober? The last time I wasn't it was my singer and his lyrical assistants fault.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:46 pm

keeping it wrapped for longer than overnight just sounds like an invitation for fonky stuff. mine have never seeped after that first bit of plasma goop is rinsed off. it's not like the plastic wrap is locking in more ink - it's already under your skin. seems like keeping moisture sealed in under plastic wrap would prolong the healing process and increase risk of infection.

a mild wash with antibacterial soap and a little fragrance-free lubriderm always work just fine for me. and that seems to be the concensus for most aftercare instructions i've seen. google up some reputable tattoo shops - most of them have aftercare instructions online.

and yeah, that red ink is aggro.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 4:44 pm

So I just ordered Chinese for lunch here at work.
I got sweet and sour chicken, but they forgot to bring sweet and sour sauce.
This really bummed me out.

However, I just read this thread and it cheered me up.
Please keep making me smile during lunch break.
kthnx.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:08 pm

most of my recent tattoos were covered in plastic...first it had a dab of a&d then wraped for the first 2 to 4 hours. Then wash it with Ivory. THat's the most gentel soap. Once all the goop is off, we run them under the hotest water you can stand. Japanese technique. seems to "bake" in the color. They stay more vibrant.

Chris, you may have a slight infection. if it stays red, hot and starts to hurt go to a doctor. Otherwise it'll be fine.

I ususally use A&D for the first 3 days, then lubriderm after that.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:36 pm

wow, i almost missed this! hey carney, "your" people invented rock & roll, mine invented the booze, the drugs, and the pussy - you're sure you don't wanna revel in some of that stuff some day? well maybe pussy was invented in africa, but then keep it in mind until an african goner comes along and calls you an asswipe - it might not be directed at your whole country either, even if he talks even more than nanne. but that's just my humble nazi opinion.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:51 pm

cant we all just be friends and eat schnitzel and watch baseball together? my tattoo has cause inernational strife...
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:08 pm

your" people invented rock & roll, mine invented the booze, the drugs, and the pussy - you're sure you don't wanna revel in some of that stuff some day? well maybe pussy was invented in africa, but then keep it in mind until an african goner comes along and calls you an asswipe - it might not be directed at your whole country either,

Hey, I was just responding to Nanne, he's insulted me and then the rest of America. I just found the whole thing ironic and then eventually it was just dumb.

I wish we had a long history of culture like the europeans. We've had to "develop" our culture in the course of 200+ years. Staking claim to drugs, booze AND pussy, now that's what I call culture. I'll share the rock and roll if you share the rest.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:18 pm

check out mysterious arm bruise-whatever-it-is here:

http://static.flickr.com/75/216206656_4264ebb18d_m.jpg

ct
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:20 pm

I invented T-shirts and Zeppelins.

ALL HAIL MORONICA.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:24 pm

No red ink. Just black and blue so far. Went back today, all the guys in the shop said it looked like bruising, but they've never seen it like that. It's not the actual tattoo itself, but starting at the bottom of it, and covering a patch of skin 4 inches by 3 inches below it. It's got that weird shade of yellow bruise I recognized from skateboarding days. Also a tad bit "harder" skin like when you get a bruise. Said it may have been from dood holding my arm while doing it. I dunno. He said to try some ice, and call back tomorrow. Said if it was infected, I would most definitely know by now. We'll see how the saga continues.

OHHHH! You didn't tell us this! That's AIDS...
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:26 pm

dammit. wanna share a needle?

ct
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:27 pm

dammit. wanna share a needle?

ct

I don't know? You got any of that stuff that kills people? I hear that's really good!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Stuff that kills people? If I have AIDS, doesn't that qualify?

ct
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:30 pm

Stuff that kills people? If I have AIDS, doesn't that qualify?

Good point. I'll be over...
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:45 pm

he's insulted me and then the rest of America.

Just for the record, I wasn't insulted.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:46 pm

Just for the record, I wasn't insulted.

Commie!

Revolver.... USA! USA!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:19 am

didn't anyone ever tell you people tattoos are for sissies

y'all live in Fagtown
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 12:54 pm

Nanne, let's put this to bed. You were being stupid, and then I was being stupid right along with you. I am finished with this, and I overreacted to your baiting. Rather than bicker on and on about this, I would like to call a truce. Wrap your tattoos in plastic, I'll leave mine unwrapped. There, everybody's happy.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®