Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / I just got mugged
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:09 am

A little over an hour ago a teenager stuck a pistol in my face. His two friends
patted me down and took my empty wallet and my favorite pipe. Fuck. I hate where I live.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:12 am

Did you call the copz? I got mugged at gunpoint once, too...the best revenge is to call the fuzz, id him, and then point him out in court. Though I know the situation isn't always that easy. Sorry, man. Chances are it won't happen again. Will freak you out for awhile.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:16 am

holy shit. where did you get mugged at?

the joys of living in memphis sometimes, i swear...
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:21 am

Bartlett?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:21 am

Deerfield Apartments. Corner of Sycamore and Raleigh Lagrange.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:22 am

I honestly don't know if you've moved or not, Ken. Are you o.k.?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:23 am

Yeah, R.L.G. is pretty shady nowadays. I lived there years back, now I pass by on my way into Bartlett Proper, weaving between youths on the streets.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:24 am

and yeah the cops are out flashlighting the ground for my wallet right now.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:25 am

Seriously if they catch these guys (which ya never know), having your day in court is da best.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:27 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Come to New Spain, man. $65-80G to buy. Probably your rent at Deerfield.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:27 am

you should call the cops.
i was mugged by 3 teens in the subway when i first moved to nyc
it will stick w/ you for a while
but DO call the cops
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:28 am

Dude, I wish I still had your number....
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:29 am

BTW, sorry, man.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:31 am

well, i hope the cops find your wallet. you don't need the pain of having to replace your licnese and stuff
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:31 am

my roomate was pistol whipped over xmas. sux.

wtf are the cops gonna do? reallyl?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:33 am

if the cops have a description and a police sketch, the mugger might be apprehended on a routine traffic violation or other thing
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:34 am

It's cool. I'm cool. Everything's fine. What bother's me is that my wife and dog were outside a half hour before I got home. This was right in front of my apartment. About ten yards from my front door.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:36 am

if the cops have a description and a police sketch, the mugger might be apprehended on a routine traffic violation or other thing
Gonna be bullshit in that 'hood. It's the edge of "incorporated towns". You might as well use one or the other or both, and get just as far.
Seriously sorry, Brown Sound. If you need a place to stay tonight, holler (if you still got my number).
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:37 am

It's cool. I'm cool. Everything's fine.

Good to hear. Sorry, man.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:39 am

I find it hard to memorize the physical description of someone who's holding a gun in my face. It's funny. I do not however believe that they were old enough to drive.
I'd say about 14 or 15.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:43 am

I find it hard to memorize the physical description of someone who's holding a gun in my face.
Next time you talk to Luke Warm, talk to him. He been there. Pretty hardcore.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:50 am

really scary. i'm sorry that happened to you. :(
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:04 am

Oh yeah, so one of the guys yanks my watch of my wrist and then drops it. It's got a velcro strape, see. Not too cool. I only have ten bucks to my name until friday and it was in my front pocket where they didn't look. I really wasn't trying to hide it. I guess I just wasn't thinking about it. None of us thought about my wedding ring at all. I am going to miss that pipe though. X-Mas present from the wife. I'd customized it with stickers. The Slovenly skull on the front.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:03 pm

sorry, ken. move.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:05 pm

That brings up an interesting question Dirk. Is this a justifiable reason to break lease?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:12 pm

This sucks. Glad to hear you're all right.

I find it hard to memorize the physical description of someone who's holding a gun in my face.

I'm terrible about picking up people's physical characteristics in normal everyday situations. I can't even imagine how bad I'd be in a case like this.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:14 pm

If your landlord is reasonable you probably could get out of your lease. I got out of my lease once because of a recurring peeping tom.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:23 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Break it!!! Work with the landlord and tell him you have a family and that firearms are a make or break deal with you...that was serious and a reasonable person should see why you should be able to get out early.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:26 pm

Fuck. I hate where I live
I know this isn't much consolation but this could have happened anywhere in Memphis. You are not 100% safe from violent crime anywhere in this locale. I was mugged ( violently) back in the 90's and spent some time in the hospital. What angered me as much as the robbery/injuries was the attitude that it's the victim's fault because of being somewhere I shouldn't be. ( A gas station near U of M ?). I couldn't nail down an accurate description of my assailant either. Seems there were quite a few jerri curl type thugs around at the time.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:58 pm

What scares me is that if it ever happens to me, I KNOW i'm supposed to co-operate and give them what they want but I'm afraid my inner righteousness will take over my brain and I'll say or do something to get my ass shot.
I don't have shit for money ever on me or in my account and it will not be worth it to say anything to the scum but I just know my brain is gonna cause my mouth to say something or my cat like swiftness to jump in the air and roundhouse kick the fucker like Chuck Norris. I totally made that last part up.

Sorry that happened to you.....that must have scared the shit out of you.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:07 pm

Wait until it happen's and then tell us how brave you were.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:11 pm

Wait until it happen's and then tell us how brave you were.

That's what I'm saying......I'd be scared shitless but I just know my brain would make me say/do something really stupid.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:17 pm

So sorry to hear about that. Wow.

Break it!!! Work with the landlord and tell him you have a family and that firearms are a make or break deal with you...that was serious and a reasonable person should see why you should be able to get out early.

Yes, I hope that you can break your lease. It's one thing to be scared for yourself. Quite another to be worried about your family.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:21 pm

I have the notice of termination in hand now. It's just a question of where to move.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:13 pm

shit, Ken it seemed like Bartlet was the "nice" Portage Mi, type town. Good to hear your not hurt.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 8:06 pm

I just found my pipe on the lawn. The stupid fucker dropped it. People have been walking over it all morning.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 8:23 pm

Hah! That's great.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 8:34 pm | Edited by: ChrisG

Don't just leave the neighborhood, leave the city. It's not worth it. Use it as an inspiration to get the fuck out. Get the fuck out now while you're fresh and inspired.

When I last lived in Memphis I got burgled while in bed asleep- beaten and tied up on the floor of my own apartment. That was my "get the fuck outta' this shit-hole town," wake-up call. Fuck Memphis. Great music and great BBQ, but the place is the reigning capital dung-heap of the entire universe. If I didn't have family there I'd never go back again. Sorry if I've offended anyone, and sorry for anybody who still lives there. I like to say, 'It's better to be from Memphis than to be in Memphis.'

Ask Mr. Gunn about getting pistol whipped and beaten with his own brass knuckles in his front yard. That's barely the half of his story.

Seems like everybody has at least one story.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 8:37 pm

leave the city.
Bartlett?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 9:05 pm

Memphis
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 9:09 pm

He got mugged in Bartlett.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 9:24 pm

Man, there must be something in the air. Last month, an acquaintence of mine was thrown off her bike and mugged, and then 3 days ago, my best friend and her boyfriend had the shit kicked out of them, her purse stolen, etc.

In PORTLAND! In fucking NE Portland, no less. I've lived here my whole life, and never even heard of this shit happening, let alone to two people I know in the span of a few weeks.

Stay safe out there, Goners.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 9:32 pm

It would've been ironic to get shot wearing a goner t-shirt, huh?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 9:46 pm

move to burlison and live safer and longer. i am.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:22 pm

Jack Stands wrote:
He got mugged in Bartlett.

Sorry, I don't make a distinction for Bartlett, as some wholy seperate and unique city far and apart removed from Memphis. It's a small suburb on the immediate periphery of town. One that is statistically lower in crime than Memphis proper and any violent crime problems found there are simply a spill-over of what is a MEMPHIS violent crime problem.

Didn't mean for you to take it personal. Memphis is my home town. It's also Murder Capital USA (held the title of #1 in murder more times than any other city in the last century). Year to year is consistently in the top five or higher for violent crime in general. For many years in the 80s-90s was #1 in rape. It has one of the worst public school systems in the country. It is just a wretched place. Sorry, I know a lot of nice people there (you seem like a nice guy yourself). I have great things to say about individuals, but nobody should bother trying to defend it's violent crime rate. It's just futile. If you have an excuse to leave, do. It will only grant you the opportunity for a better life. I know that won't win me lots of friends here on this board, but hey, it's my home town and I'll speak it how I see it.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:29 pm

Whoa! Nothin' personal, brah.
However, I moved into Memphis after growing up in Raleigh and Cordova. Then, back out to Bartlett, now back in Memphis.
Reason?
Grahamwood is one of the best public schools in the state.
Yep. Memphis has crime. I won't debate that.
Knockin' on wood right now that nothing like that besets my family.
I ain't surprised at all that some would leave (not just crime, but lack of jobs, double taxes, lack-luster gov't, and waste). But I do love this town.
And our water is pretty good, too.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:35 pm

great water
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:36 pm

Don't know if you drink, but holler if you ever make it back this way and we'll grab a beer.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:56 pm

Man, there must be something in the air. Last month, an acquaintence of mine was thrown off her bike and mugged, and then 3 days ago, my best friend and her boyfriend had the shit kicked out of them, her purse stolen, etc.

In PORTLAND!

That "kicked off the bike" trick has been used on several people I know here in PDX, and I've heard even more stories. Myself, I prefer to ride my bike when partying but one shouldn't be lulled into a false sense of safety. Beware your surroundings, I guess.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 11:17 pm

that getting kicked off the bike trick scares the hell out of me because i ride my bike all over the place in midtown. but you aren't exactly safe in a car either, because there have been times where people pulled some crazy shit on people in cars as well. just recently, right down the street from me, there was a rape/burglary that happened. 3 houses down.

i'm kinda scared about walking around myself. i don't ever really carry much money on me, and i do carry mace, but in the math of weaponry:

gun > mace

i started carrying mace on me because i got followed downtown by some guy that worked in an easy way that i was shopping at. he pinned me in the corner of the mailroom after following me INTO my apartment building that was secured, but someone else thought he lived there and let him in. i ended up having to knee him in the crotch and run straight to the office where they sicked the security guard for the building on him. but talk about scary as shit. ugh. not pleasant. at all. this was maybe 4 or 5 years ago when i lived in the exchange building.

u of m area has had a lot of crime lately, even in the better neighborhoods over there. there have been people pulled out of their cars while just getting home by people with guns and robbed. people were also following students into dorms as well. there have been multiple assaults and robberies on campus. pretty scary shit. i spend a lot of time out there working on papers and will be even more so as a grad student. bluh.

no matter where you go in this city, it's like that. cordova's even had quite a bit of crime. i had some friends out there get their license plates stolen off their vehicles 3 or 4 times in a year. one had their apartment broken into. another had his car stolen. the only place i think that is safe anymore is collierville and that's because it's so damn far away. but i doubt it stays "safe" for long.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:25 am

Word on the street is they drive a green tempo.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:50 am

In the spirit of those Osama bumper stickers:
"Green Tempo! Find 'em! Get 'em!"
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:56 pm

I just freaked out on the dirver's license people. The teller's were letting the thugs skip ahead. Fucking racists. and I can't believe they charge for something that was forcibly taken from me. I don't even have eight dollars today. I spent two and a half hours there today and left with nothing.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:10 pm

Can we move Gonerfest to a different town?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:12 pm

that's why i have all my shit (license plate, driver's license, etc.) registered in arkansas. fuck a bunch of overpriced tennessee b.s. the lines are shorter, and everything is cheaper by a longshot. when i got my tags switched from ohio to arkansas, EVERYTHING - registration, tags, and new driver's license) was a total of 40 bucks. apparently the same thing with mississippi, according to a couple of my friends. even out of the county (tipton) is cheaper.

you don't have to put up with near the level of crap.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:29 pm

I find it hard to memorize the physical description of someone who's holding a gun in my face. It's funny.

I was worried about that, but you would be surprised how quickly that will come back to you once you have to ID the guy. Course, mine was caught about ten minutes after I got mugged. Shit sucks.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 10:21 pm

I just saw two of them again. They just started coming at me across the parking lot making agressive arm gestures. One had his hand at waist level, below his shirt. I ran inside. The cops came too late.

Also, Deerfield Apartments and Aimco up to the corporate level have no interest in the safety of their tenants. I have been told that because they cannot guarantee their tenants safety 100%, why bother at all. A security guard would cost them $1,200 a month and none of their tenants lives are worth that.

Three weeks ago someone was shot twice in our parking lot. Deerfield Apartments and Aimco do not care about you. Their general attitude is that it is your own responcibility to defend yourself. Do not move here if you have a spouse or children, for their sakes. I can do nothing, but worry about my wife now.
Do not move here unless you want to get shot.

That's the review I just gave them on apartmentratings.com anyway, editing out my personal story for your benefit.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 10:38 pm

i had some friends out there get their license plates stolen off their vehicles 3 or 4 times in a year.

I thought of a trick to get around this. Use different scews for each hole (ie, flat-head, phillips, torque, allen, etc.). It's highly unlikely that a dude would have all of these drivers on them or would take the time to fuck with it.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 3:51 am

Can we move Gonerfest to a different town?

Don't be a pussy.

p.s. please send me a picture of you so I can mug you from the stage.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:19 am

can you legally shoot someone who makes an aggressive gesture and reaches under their shirt? if so, that's what i'm doin from here on out.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:43 am

I just saw two of them again. They just started coming at me across the parking lot making agressive arm gestures. One had his hand at waist level, below his shirt. I ran inside. The cops came too late.

Again?!?!?!?? thats whacked!!!!!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:47 am

can you legally shoot someone who makes an aggressive gesture and reaches under their shirt? if so, that's what i'm doin from here on out.

you can in FLA. thank the president's bro for that one.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:11 am

Ya can too in Mississippi. It's called the "Castle defense" law. I think it passed this year. I don't know what part of a apartment complex would be considered your castle area. I tend to leave the killin' up to my serfs cause I got kingly business to attend to.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:28 am

It's called the "Castle defense" law.
The thought of boiling oil raining down on a thug makes me giggle like a little girl.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:20 pm

I guess I just want to document this in case I get shot in the next couple days. They're still cruising my complex. Last night they had a little party on my stairs. I can't seem to get the police here at the same time. I don't think I can get close enough to them with my claw hammer before I get shot. They know I'm watching for them and they don't care. I don't know what to do.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:28 pm

buy a gun and shoot them.

I was mugged once and if I had had a gun, I would have shot him and then I would've been able to keep my "Yellow Submarine" wallet that had no money in it, but did have my Pretty Things Fan Club card. The girl that was with me would have kept her $20 and newly-purcahsed cell phone.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:52 pm

you can in FLA. thank the president's bro for that one.

Oh great, I was worrying about what options we'll have. I refuse to carry a gun on my person...I have not outlawed eventually owning one, but I will not be carrying it around.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:40 pm

I'd been fighting with my wife most of the day. She didn't understand how serious this is. I left for about an hour and the drive-by that happened in our parking lot while I was gone changed her mind. All ya'll that've been cool with me, I'll miss you, but we're leaving town.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:49 pm

where are you goin ken??? stay safe in the meantime. jeez.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 11:07 pm

I don't know you from Shinola... but get the hell out of where you are living. Sounds like Gary, Indiana...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®