Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / PHRASES/WORDS THAT I HATE...
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:00 am

PHRASES/WORDS THAT I HATE:

"(BACK) IN THE DAY"

PHRASES/WORDS THAT I HATE, BUT FIND MYSELF USING ANYWAY:

"DUDE"
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:16 am

Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:20 am

Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:03 pm

I'M SO, LIKE, 5 MONTHS AGO.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:41 pm

"bada bing bada boom"

"yadda, yadda, yadda"

"yo!"
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:05 pm

I hate when people use the word "chach", as in, "That guy's a total chach".
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:33 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

"Dude" and "Rad" are the two I rid myself of periodically but never can quelch altogether. It's the curse of having been a teenage skate-punk I think.
I'm far more annoyed, though, by phrases I don't use but others do, like: "it's all good" or "take a chill pill".
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:36 pm

"it's all good" or "take a chill pill".

You must be very excitable to hear this a lot.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:43 pm

It's not always directed at me when I hear it. More often it's something I overhear and is accompanied by the stench of petuli.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:46 pm

stench of petuli

UHHG. I hate that worse than anything people say.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:48 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

When I put those two phrases together it didn't occur to me that they both are potential responses to a temper tantrum.

"Been there. Done that." is another annoying one.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:51 pm

I hate "just put the knife down." Or "I'll do anything you say, just let me go." I mean, has that ever worked?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:51 pm

I guess I just don't like cliches very much. People aught to be smart enough to speak without just plugging in some made-to-order saying that's a catch-all.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:52 pm

Or anything with "izzle" at the end. That's just lazy. Learn the rest of the word!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:52 pm

has that ever worked?

I don't know. I only hear actors on T.V. say those sorts of things.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:53 pm

Heh heh!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Bling
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Old School
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:31 pm

"my bad"
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:32 pm

"heard that"
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:33 pm

Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm | Edited by: SinglesGoingSteady

Pretty much anything passed down to us from the ghetto thug world sucks, but the worst thing is when bored white kids, in half-sarcasm, just blurt that shit out. Not talking about wiggers but just preppie white kids trying to be funny/having something to say if you make a statement. Not only is their irony not funny but they just sound lazy. "That's tight, daaaawg". I dunno which is worse...
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 10:55 pm

Pretty much anything passed down to us from the ghetto thug world sucks, but the worst thing is when bored white kids, in half-sarcasm, just blurt that shit out. Not talking about wiggers but just preppie white kids trying to be funny/having something to say if you make a statement. Not only is their irony not funny but they just sound lazy. "That's tight, daaaawg". I dunno which is worse...

...going to a tiny - town junior high school at the height of NWA's career. We had two black kids at the school, they avoided everyone like everyone had AIDS 'cause the fucks, the WIGGERS, treated them like a spectacle. "I'm cooler than you 'cause I'm down with the black kid". The idiots that jumped on that band wagon sounded
completely retarded when they'd try to talk "ghetto". Like a deaf person trying to speak vocally with a mouth full of chips ahoy.
It was hilarious when they got to the real high school where the population was much more diverse to watch them get their asses kicked by the other 20 black kids in town for being a bunch of poseurs.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 11:56 pm

YO, MY BAD, JACK - GUESS THE SUBJECT'S GOT LEGS. IT'S ALL GOOD.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 11:57 pm

Fo-shizzle My nizzle, Mofo, homo, Bee-otch , Fag-mo , Homie, Tear it up!, get funky, that's hot , Chief, Sup , Wahzaaaaaahhhhp!!!, Of the chain , Of, the heezy, Fer-reals , Homie G , G , Homegirl, Let's get this party started! , Word , Big Pimpin , he's a pimp , He's the mack , I'm a mack daddy , Whoop Whoop Whoop!(Arsenio Hall Cheer) , Dog , Sup Foo, Oh Snap!, , That shit killed me , Tha Bomb, That's how I roll , What the deelio?, Nigga Please , What up, Hey Slim , Word up , Fresh , Killa , That is dope , that's whack, what-what? , Totally Bitchn' , That shit is some keel(kill) , Wicked Awesome, Git yer freak on, Back dat ass up, How ya like me now, "Flow" over some "beats" my homie gave me, Tha Crib, Tha Crizzac, Fer Sheezy, and
We be Clubbin'.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 1:54 am

Lugubrious, triskaidekaphobia, lycanthropy, rhinorrhea, cyanosis...
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 2:25 am

I am the Arm, thank you for being so thorough.

le chev what's wrong with "lugubrious"?
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 2:37 am

when people say "lol" "wtf" and "jk" in a real conversation.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:04 am

Business terms I can't stand:
"thinking outside the box"
"bandwidth"
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:50 am

i dont like it when people say, "can i help you?" instead of "get the hell out of my store/yard/bed..."
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 2:32 pm | Edited by: MrsRealEstate

incorrect pronunciation such as "supposebly" (supposedly) or "libary" (library) or "grow-in" (groin)
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 2:43 pm

"shattered"
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 2:45 pm

heir lick.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 2:46 pm

dubdubdub(www), tomkat, saying "kid" after everything, shut up and play.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 2:50 pm

My all-time most-hated would have to be "timetable", "dialogue", "in the zone", "outside the box", "my bad" (and I like Buffy, too!), and now "vintage", seeing as it encompasses shit like frikken legwarmers and Duran Duran!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:37 pm

"thats awesome"
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:39 pm

"It'll be in the last place you look for it."
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 6:57 pm | Edited by: m t millionaire

I hate when people end a yes or no question with..."or no". For example, some moron says "hey, are you going to that show tonight...or no?" It's as if this moron thinks you need to have your possible responses listed for you, just in case you didn't realize they were looking for a "yes" or "no" response. I fucking HATE it. Start listening to the idiots that are all around you. You will hear it EVERYWHERE.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 6:59 pm

incorrect pronunciation such as "supposebly" (supposedly) or "libary" (library) or "grow-in" (groin)

the all-time worst is "nucular" (nuclear)
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:01 pm

I hate it when you ask somebody a question with the word 'or' in it, and they respond with "Yes" or "No". It's like fuck dude thanks for answering....
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:03 pm | Edited by: m t millionaire

the all-time worst is "nucular" (nuclear)

I fucking HATE that. Dubya said it in a press conference recently (not the first time I've heard him say it, but it always aggravates me).

NOTE: I was not watching the press conference...I saw a clip on the Daily Show.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:03 pm

I hate it when you ask somebody a question with the word 'or' in it, and they respond with "Yes" or "No". It's like fuck dude thanks for answering....

are you stupid or what?
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:06 pm

are you stupid or what?

Depends on who you ask...
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:07 pm

are you stupid or what?

Now if you would have said "are you stupid or no?", THAT would really bug me.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:07 pm

fucking HATE that. Dubya said it in a press conference recently (not the first time I've heard him say it, but it always aggravates me).

"internets" (inner-nets?)
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:14 pm

"internets" (inner-nets?)

My old boss use to talk about doing his home banking, etc. VIVA the internet. What an idiot.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:15 pm

tide me over
What the hell does this mean? It will cause me to be o.k., because of the moon's gravitational pull? It will placate things because of the oxidizing power of bleach?
It's "TIE" me over. As in, "provide continuity", to "hold", to "fasten together".

Jesus, people...
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Depends on who you ask

FUCK DUDE THANKS FOR ANSWERING!
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:19 pm

FUCK DUDE THANKS FOR ANSWERING!

You're welcome and God bless...
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:20 pm

tide me over
What the hell does this mean? It will cause me to be o.k., because of the moon's gravitational pull? It will placate things because of the oxidizing power of bleach?
It's "TIE" me over. As in, "provide continuity", to "hold", to "fasten together".

Jesus, people...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I said this today
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:23 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I said this today

Something about milkshakes, right? HA HA!
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Something about milkshakes, right? HA HA!

yep.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:43 pm

tide me over

I say that too. I didn't realize I was committing a grammatical error. The Goner message board is a fountain of wisdom...
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:45 pm

It is correct in past tense, but spelled differently, as in:
That bacon sandwich "tied" me over until dinner this evening.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:47 pm

The Goner message board is a fountain of wisdom...

that's why i don't bother reading the newspaper/watching the news. fuck college, I'm on the Goner board.

It is correct in past tense, but spelled differently, as in:
That bacon sandwich "tied" me over until dinner this evening.

good to know.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 9:05 pm

fuck college, I'm on the Goner board.

what if you do both?
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 9:07 pm

what if you do both?

One cancels out the other.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 9:07 pm

fuck college, I'm on the Goner board.

Go to college, get good job, THEN go on the Goner board. That works for me.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 9:36 pm

From Hougton-Mifflin dictionary:

tide over
Support through a difficult period, as in I asked my brother for $100 to tide me over until payday. This expression alludes to the way the tide carries something. [Early 1800s]
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 9:38 pm

I ain't buyin' it.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 9:43 pm

Well, I'll be. You're right.
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.txt
Senior English teacher was a godammed liar.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 9:53 pm

That was a good link, Jack. It had phrase (or misuse of one) that I hate.

Could care less vs. Couldn't care less.

Saying you COULD care less is plain stupid.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 10:13 pm

I hate when people improperly use "I" when they should use "me." For example, "here's a picture of Trish and I at Six Flags."

For some reason this bothers me even more than when people make the opposite mistake and use "me" when "I" is correct, as in "me and Trish went to Six Flags."
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 11:22 pm

I hate when people improperly use "I" when they should use "me."

No shit. People trying to sound smart is almost worse than just being what they are - dumb.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 11:23 pm

I am sooo sick of hearing my boss say "frankly".
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 11:27 pm

My old boss used to say "so I says" all the time. It drove me FUCKING NUTS.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 11:19 pm

People trying to sound smart is almost worse than just being what they are - dumb.

Today, in a newspaper article about Samuel Jackson, I read the phrase "sorted past." It'd sordid, stupid.

Now, for some reason I find myself reading the website for Henry Rollins' radio show, where is written the phrase "a mute point." It's moot, stupid.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 6:21 pm

It's moot, stupid.

NO, IT'S "MOOK" LIKE IN MEAN STREETS: "WHY THE HELL WOULD I LISTEN TO WHAT A MOOK LIKE YOU'S GOTTA SAY? IT'S A MOOK POINT."
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 6:26 pm

No, it's "moog." Like "The Plastic cow goes moooooooooooog."
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®