Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Best comeback album
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 12:59 am

My first thread started here so be gentle with me...

Since we've had the biggest album drop off we might as well have a thread for the best comeback album. You gave up on them, figured they're washed up then out of nowhere, they return to form and completely surprised you.

I have many choices but the most recent example was the Dictators 'DFFD' which, in my humble opinion, was the best thing they've ever done.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 1:08 am

Planet Waves ---> Blood on the Tracks?
Though, I do like Planet Waves.
(I'm old, cut me some slack.)
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 1:12 am

I'm old too so slack is given.

So many people have been telling me that Cheap Trick's Rockford is a return to form. I haven't heard it yet so I'll have to take their word for it.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 1:36 am

Planet Waves is a superb album! If someone doesn't like that album, then they don't know what they're talking about!

If yer talking Dylan's best "comeback album," by all means TIME OUT OF MIND!
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:00 am

Yeah, you're kind of right, Theresa...but Planet Waves sucked commercially, and critcally. And Blood on the Tracks was such a blockbuster in both ways. Really, a career milestone.
But hey, I'm talkin to someone who thinks "The River" is disingenuos. :)
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:13 am

about the only the punk reunion record i liked was the buzzcocks 'trade test transmissions".

well, except the lead off track 'do it'.
that song sucked ass.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 3:08 am

Blood On The Tracks is not a bad record - its full of fantastic songs; it is a great work.

Seems like no one liked Planet Waves, but I like it better than Blood on the Tracks. I'm rather invested in Planet Waves
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 3:21 am

Blood On The Tracks is not a bad record - its full of fantastic songs; it is a great work.
However, I prefer "Desire". But, as far as far down to far up...Planet Waves took a big hit, and Blood on the Tracks was a big hit.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 3:28 am

actually, if you're looking at Dylan's big ups and downs....
the nashville trilogy (blonde on blonde, john wesley harding, nashville skyline) was followed by two quite bleh in comparison albums - self portrait and new morning

however, these days i like it when he does "if dogs run free" live
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 3:48 am | Edited by: ChrisG

Jeff K wrote:
So many people have been telling me that Cheap Trick's Rockford...

I've been hearing this from everyone who has heard it as well. I'm going to have to look into this.

Elvis - TV Special (68 comeback)

Johnny Cash - American Recordings.

Those are too easy though.

I'll think about it...
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:15 am | Edited by: ChrisG

Dusty Springfield - It Begins Again

Link Wray - Link Wray
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:19 am

Lately, I gotta say that Mission of Burma did us all a favor by re-uniting & making records again. Ditto with the original Wire.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:19 am

"however, these days i like it when he does "if dogs run free" live"

I don't know that song & I just saw him tonight. Jimmie Vaughn opened & was joined on 4 or 5 songs by sometims Columbus resident, Eric Clapton. I think SR Vaughn took Eric's spot on the helicopter.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 8:45 am

I love the Danzig-less Misfits 'American Psycho' album. It sounds like the missing link between 'Walk Among Us' and 'Earth AD'. The songs are fucking great--fuck everybody.

-Ryan
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 8:46 am

What about Project 1950?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 8:32 pm

Allow me to lower the level of discourse, if I may...

I thought AC/DC's "Ballbreaker" was an embarrassment, and not like I was expecting that much from a modern AC/DC alb anyway, but it was so bad I figured it was all over for them.

THEN: Stiff Upper Lip. Good. Suprisingly good. I went from "Well, this isn't too bad" at first listen, to "Hey, I actually kind of like this" after awhile, until I think I've finally decided that it's a pretty good record. Then I saw them do "Safe in New York City" live, and it was pretty fucking incredible.

I hope they keep putting out albums 'til Angus has to zip around the stage in a little electric wheelchair.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 8:59 pm

I hope they keep putting out albums 'til Angus has to zip around the stage in a little electric wheelchair.

that would be quite an awesome sight! in a school boy outfit or in old man drag?
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 9:23 pm

Before I even clicked on here, Time out of Mind was the first thing that popped in my head. I can't wait for the new one! Although, I'm having my own listening party...
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 9:50 pm

Fall Out Boy's 2nd album...timeless
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 9:53 pm

Fall Out Boy's 2nd album...timeless

I hear they're against racism. Kudos!
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:52 pm

bridge too fuckin far...oh wait...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®