Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The first few Goo Goo Dolls albums
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 10:08 pm

Anyone else a fan? I like Jed. Up Yours, Sex Maggot, those are fun tunes. Nothing novel, just fun.

Woo it's Friday!
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 10:33 pm

I got a free copy of the first one back when it came out. It didn't leave much of an impression on me. Sounded like a Replacements rip-off if I remember rightly. But I just checked eBay, and they're selling for about 50 bux, so maybe it's time to sell it.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:10 am

first time i ever heard them was when i was roadieing for a band that opened for the replacements and i thought it was there new album, tommy set me straight
jackpenetrater
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 6:52 pm

Ya mite also like 70..'s /Buffalo/NY based.."Billy Pirhana & The Enemies"Vinyl/EP...."Products of the Street".The song "Disconnected"-was originally recorded by them.We opened for them-and yes they were a tuff buncha Rockers.Track down this Masterpiece-its EXCELLENT!(Raw Records).
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:09 pm

JED was good, I remember being really into 'Now Way Out.' Tommy's stuff early on was a lot of fun and much different than what John was writing. I still love Hold Me Up, though, great album.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 11:27 pm

Is this a fucking joke?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:53 am

Is this a fucking joke?

No a lot of people talk about how good the early Goo Goo Dolls albums were, before the signed to a major. I just can never bring myself to listen to them, just like I can't bring myself to listen to old Chumbuwumba, even if they did play with Crass, I don't want to hear it.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 1:03 am

I heard that shit about the chumpathumpa too...I'm like, uhh....yeah. Ok. I don't want to hear it.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:28 am

I like the first four...yes that means I like the first two on a major

and that song that was on the Nightmare on Elm Street 3 or 4 was rulin'
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:36 am | Edited by: Mullett

The Goo Goo Dolls were always one of my favorites just 'cause they were so dumb. With their 1st contract, they gave it to a lawyer friend to read who told them, "there's no way in Hell I'd sign this," and THEY DID ANYWAYS!

Warner Bros. gave them tour support for years & made no money offa the band what so ever. When they finally hit it big with "Iris", they went to Warner Bros. & said "We want our money." Warner crunched the numbers including what was re-coupable by the label & handed The Dolls a bill for $500,000. Sweat! The Dolls threatened to take the label to court (they should have), so the label settled with them so the band got a check in the high 6 figures. This was after they had sold 2 million copies of "A Chump Named Goo." The VH1 Behind The Music on them is really interesting.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:38 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

I was always under the assumption that they SUCK....I still think I'm right...oh well, I'm sure there is worse.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:16 pm

the first LP was on celluloid.... the red one with just their name really big..there was one good song on that one...after that it was all downhill
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:37 pm

I heard that shit about the chumpathumpa too...I'm like, uhh....yeah. Ok. I don't want to hear it.

hey arm, when you get knocked down just get up again
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:38 pm

the first LP was on celluloid.... the red one with just their name really big..there was one good song on that one

It was probably "Livin In a Hut."
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:45 pm

I liked their first two records when I was in high school. Probably haven't listened to them since.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:30 pm

they covered lime spiders on something, it was on jukebox of a bar i used to work at, slave girl
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®