Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Biggest single album quality drop off.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 7:34 am

Who put out a good record & followed it up with a crappy one?

Rolling Stones - Undercover --> Dirty Work
The Clash - (whatever was before it) --> Cut The Crap
Led Zeppelin - Presence --> In Through The Out Door
Van Halen - 1984 --> 5150
Motorhead - 1916 --> March To Die
Megadeath - Rust In Piece --> Countdown
Cro Mags - Age Of Quarrel --> Best Wishes

You get the idea...
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 7:53 am

ZZ Top - Eliminator --> Afterburner
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 10:25 am

Mystery Girls - S/T --> Something in the Water
Real Losers - Time to Lose --> Music for Funsters
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 11:03 am

B-52's -Wild Planet--> Mesopotamia
The Go-go's-Beauty and The Beat--> Vacation
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 1:16 pm

ramones - road to ruin --> end of the century
clash - london calling --> sandinista
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 3:20 pm

Cheap Trick - Dream Police --> All Shook Up
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 4:20 pm

Hollies: King Midas In Reverse ----> Hollies Sing Dylan
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 4:34 pm

clash - london calling --> sandinista

I understand that London Calling is a virtual hit factory but Sandanista! is an awesome record....

A little album called Combat Rock
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 4:51 pm

Oh c'mon....End of the century had some great songs...Spectors production just ruined it though. So weak.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 4:56 pm

Black Sabbath - Sabotage --> Technical Ecstasy
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 4:57 pm

if you take out 'give em enough rope' you can list the entire clash discography this way

s/t ---> london calling ---> sandinista ---> combat rock ---> cut the crap
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 5:01 pm

Van Halen: s/t --> II
Van Halen: Fair Warning --> Diver Down (& everything that came after)

Hookers: Satan's Highway --> That Fucking Dungeons & Dragons Album

Second albums should get a bye as they usually never measure up ( some exceptions apply)
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 5:15 pm

Just about everything that preceded the Clash > all Clash albums
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Agreed on the Hookers. Took themselves too seriously & ruined the joke, and then did a jokey D&D (third!) LP to "make up for it," but that sucked, too.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 5:25 pm

Monster Magnet - Spine of God --> Superjudge
Kinks - Arthur --> Lola versus Powerman
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 5:43 pm

i actually have some wierd love for that hollies sing Dylan album, but King Midas in Reverse is amazing.

Guns and Roses Apettite for Destrucion -> lies
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 5:50 pm

SS Decontrol- "Get It Away" --> "How We Rock"
Circle Jerks- "Group Sex" --> "Wild In the Streets"--> "Golden Shower..."
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 8:35 pm

New York Dolls: "Too Much too Soon" --> "One Day it Will Please Us to Remember Even This"

Ramones: "Road to Ruin" --> "End of the Century"
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 8:39 pm

Springsteen Darkness on the Edge of Town -> The River
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 8:42 pm

suprised no one said metallica. they definitely fucked things up with load.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 8:45 pm

Springsteen Darkness on the Edge of Town -> The River
Whaaaa?! "The River" is a monster! That album has got the title track, "Stolen Car", "Drive All Night", "The Ties That Bind", etc. I'd say there's not a weak cut on that entire double LP.

If you said Tunnel of Love--> Lucky Town/Human Touch, I'd agree 100%, though.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 9:42 pm | Edited by: OrganMiscreant

Who put out a good record & followed it up with a crappy one?

Rolling Stones - Undercover --> Dirty Work

Undercover sucked, too.

What was before it - 3 years - was Combat Rock. And all the long-time Clash fans I knew didn't think much of Combat Rock, either. Personally, though, I liked a few songs on it. I couldn't say the same for Cut The Crap. On the other hand, I didn't really consider it the same band, for obvious reasons.

Led Zeppelin - Presence --> In Through The Out Door
I didn't think much of Presence. It was OK. Come to think of it - and I know this is heresy to some - I probably like the songs on In Through The Out Door better than those on Presence, for the most part. But neither of them is what I'd call good.

The easiest drop-off is merely David Lee Roth to Sammy Hagar the Horrible.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 10:47 pm

How can you decipher the greater or lesser shitiness of any Van Halen record. They all assume some sort of absolute zero for me.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 10:50 pm

SLAYER--Seasons In The Abyss>>>Divine Intervention
A band loses their drummer, releases a covers album, a double live album and takes four years to create this devoid of ideas piece o' shit.

BLACK FLAG--Damaged>>>My War
Greg, your solos are great because you CAN'T solo--who told you that you could? Quit practicing guitar and go back to writing the lyrics cuz Hank is a fuckin headcase.

VENOM--Black Metal>>>In League With Satan
A six-pack of generic by-the-numbers bangers on the a-side and an unlistenable 18-minute epic on the b-side. Three albums was too much to ask from these scumbags.

JUDAS PRIEST--Hell Bent For Leather>>>British Steel
Hey, we just invented modern technical heavy metal with our previous four albums at a time when virtually nobody else was playing straight up METAL anywhere in the fucking world. I guess it's time to get a plodding drummer with a mustache and dumb it down so we can finally hit it big in America!

IRON MAIDEN--Somewhere In Time>>>Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Five years from "No Synthsizers Or Ulterior Motives" plastered on the sleeve of "Piece Of Mind" comes this impenetrable concept album with synthesizers plastered all over the fucking vinyl and an uninteresting storyline backed by uninspired music. Lame on every level.

ELVIS COSTELLO--This Year's Model>>>Armed Forces
From the most cohesive, rocking album he ever recorded straight into the trash with piano stepping all over the guitar and the only great song is a goddamn cover.

D.R.I.--Dealing With It>>>Crossover
The greatest hardcore album ever released was recorded 30 seconds before their hair hit their shoulders, thank god. The crossover era produced a few gems but the album that solidified it's moniker sure as hell wasn't one of them.

-Ryan
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 10:55 pm

of any Van Halen record. They all assume some sort of absolute zero
Blasphemer.

The greatest hardcore album ever released was recorded 30 seconds before their hair hit their shoulders
Hillarious.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 11:00 pm

Assuming that live albums don't count

Saxon - Denim & Leather --> Power and the Glory
Raven - All For One --> Stay Hard
AC/DC - For Those About to Rock --> Flick of the Switch

Actually, it seems like most hard rock/metal bands that released decent records in the late 70's/early 80's and survived to the mid-80's ended up trying to go commercial to catch the success of big hair bands.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 11:08 pm

I'd say there's not a weak cut on that entire double LP.

Cadillac Ranch? I'm a Rocker
Compared to its predecessor, The River is a task to listen to. All I ever wanted from that album was for it to be OVER ALREADY.

as for the track "The River," I find it disengenuous

THE RIVER kick-started the Bruce backlash for me.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 11:15 pm

i agree with almost everything here but i don't think you can say "something in the water" is crap. it's good stuff ... just didn't have the energy of the 1st LP.
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 11:24 pm

i don't think you can say "something in the water" is crap. it's good stuff ... just didn't have the energy of the 1st LP.

that and the mastering is so SHINY
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 11:26 pm

If the first lp had the production of 'Something in the Water' it would be a fucking CLASSIC. As it stands, I never feel like listening to either one of these albums. Huh.

-Ryan
Posted: Aug 11, 2006 11:39 pm

Also, although I love the album "Diver Down", I believe this was the pre-cursor to the Hagar years. Dave started singing about his "feelings" in "Little Guitars", and entered into their "experimental phase" with "Big Bad Bill" and "Happy Trails". Also, "Secrets" is probably as close to "Finish What you Started" as any VH cheese goes. "Hang 'Em High" and "The Full Bug", to me, are probably the closest tracks to OG VH.

1984 had great songs, too, but everybody knew Eddie was playing with his keyboards too much, and no one was buying that he was 17 for the 6th year in a row.
They came on my birthday for the 1984 tour, and I was grounded, so this may skew my opinion a bit....
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 12:07 am

1)Stick "D.O.A." from II on Women And Children First and "Hang 'Em High" from Diver Down on Fair Warning and do away with those albums.

2)Have band implode over the wanky use of keyboards on 1984 and release posthumous singles for "Hot For Teacher" and "Panama". And include "Drop Dead Legs" and "House Of Pain" on Best Of collection.

3)Watch everyone marvel over the genius of mammoth hard rockers, Van Halen.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 1:03 am

That was Larry and Jim Diamond's fault, though. Seriously, who the fuck would keep a cut like "Blues in G" on an album? Don't even get me started on the track sequencing.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 1:04 am

If the first lp had the production of 'Something in the Water' it would be a fucking CLASSIC. As it stands, I never feel like listening to either one of these albums. Huh.

-Ryan

It already is a classic.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 1:07 am | Edited by: dale

That was Larry and Jim Diamond's fault, though. Seriously, who the fuck would keep a cut like "Blues in G" on an album? Don't even get me started on the track sequencing.

I was there for pretty much for the whole recording process of SITW. There's a little more to the story than that. Good songs...a flat album (The two bonus tracks, which are two of the most solid things they did in the session, will eventually come out on Bancroft). No one person is at complete fault though...
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 1:09 am

The Dead Boys followed up Young, Loud and Snotty with We Have Come For Your Children. Maybe not total crap but nowhere near as great as their debut.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 1:59 am

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I wouldn't put any of the blame on Larry for that record...and not necesarily on Jim either really. I could go on for hours about that record and the bad feelings I will seemingly hold forever about it. But alas, I will not, unless you find me in person and ask. Get me high first.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 2:04 am | Edited by: dale

Maybe I should've tape recorded our discussions about it...then I could've upload it as a podcast....I got weed if ya wanna drive over.

I blame some of it on the Romantics.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 2:10 am

Whoever writes on this thread is gay
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 2:11 am

DAmned - strawberries - Phantasmagoria
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 2:12 am

HA! Let's blame Clem Burke!
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 2:21 am

Clem's okay...It's funnier to blame Wally Palmar. He hears the secrets that we keep when we are talking in our sleep.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 2:38 am

you guys are gay cos you posted after I said you were gay if 6you posterd on this thread fter I said and etc
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 2:44 am

of any Van Halen record. They all assume some sort of absolute zero
Blasphemer.

It's fucking glorified yacht rock, the most vapid, worthless shit ever put to vinyl and then called ROCK N ROLL. I can't even plumb the depths of my hatred for this band and their shitty output on non-musicality.

Oh, Ain't Talkin Bout Love is worth its salt. And that's it!
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 2:50 am

Next thing I'm gonna read here is IROC Camaros are not cool.

New Bomb Turks "Destroy Oh Boy' -->'Info Highway'
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 3:05 am

I wanna be gay too!!!

Dale, I think a waaaaay better link is 'Info. Highway Revisited' -> 'Sacred Straight'.

'At Rope's End' is really good tho'.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 3:35 am

It's fucking glorified yacht rock, the most vapid, worthless shit ever put to vinyl and then called ROCK N ROLL. I can't even plumb the depths of my hatred for this band and their shitty output on non-musicality.

C'mon, most worthless shit, ever? Weren't we just talking about "Something In The Water?" Ha, ha, but seriously folks.

I have a theory that most (not all) people who hate Van Halen never lived in a time where there wasn't a Van Hagar or at least weren't old enough to remember. Most of the people I know that don't understand why I dig them were about 2 when DLR split. Think about this: Van Halen 1978-1984, Van Hagar 1985-present, and presumably into the future.

Nevertheless, I coulda just typed "there's obviously far worse."
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:17 am

i love springsteen like some fellas get over the oblivians! i think the critical downward spiral went like this:
born in the usa: sorry, its not going to be easy to follow nebraska
tunnel of love: jesus fucking christ, thats a bad album
human touch: cmon, its not any better than tunnel
Ghost of tom joad: there it is again! bout fuckin time!

TIME TO GO PUT ON GREETINGS AND OPEN A COOL ONE
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:42 am

The exeption to this rule is Hall & Oates who got better with each subsequent album
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:46 am | Edited by: ChrisG

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs - Fever to Tell --> Show Your Bones
Elastica - s/t --> The Menace
Agent Orange - Living In Darkness --> This is the Voice

But hey, I think Scared Straight is a great album, so what do I know?
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:49 am

Ain't Talkin Bout Love is worth its salt. And that's it!
DUDE! That ain't even on my top fifteen! Wha's wrong with you?
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:50 am

I think everything I've ever heard by Springsteen is lame. I've had so many friends try to convince me of his greatness. I don't get it.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:57 am

DLR era Van Halen beats the crap out of the Boss any day.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 5:00 am

Kirk Cameron and his TV dad went to see the boss in an episode of Growing Pains.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 6:12 am

I've had so many friends try to convince me of his greatness. I don't get it.

try working on his tour for 22 months straight.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 6:17 am

So, he didn't win you over either?
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 6:29 am | Edited by: ChrisG

There's that whole Sophomore album thing. When a band puts out their first album, they've usually been playing together for a few years. They've built up about an album's worth of album worthy songs. They've also played them live, night after night, week after week for years, tweaking and perfecting them. Then they get a record deal, record all those songs, get a hit, a tour, and then with the pressure of their careers and reputations resting on the outcome, they have to cram to put together another album's worth of songs in like a few months... and if the first album was a real chart topper, then they've got all the distractions that come with fame and money swirling around them too. It's a wonder any bands make it past the second album at all.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 7:10 am

Ain't Talkin Bout Love is worth its salt. And that's it!
DUDE! That ain't even on my top fifteen! Wha's wrong with you?

It's in my top-15. Oh shitty songs that should land you in the 15th circle of hell for writing and/or performing.

I'm sorry. This band sucks dick no matter what era: the lamest, most stiff rhythm section since Lawrence Welk, a fuckin' wanker show-boater who puts me to sleep on guitar, and the sonofaplasticsurgeon caterwaulin' a plenty= pure shit.

Absolutely and eternally unredeemable. I'm right; you're wrong. Live with it.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 10:16 am

"Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love"?
No, sir. O.k. song, but not amongst the best.
I turn your attention to "Atomic Punk" from that album. For christ's sake DLR says "netherworlds"!
Also, I suggest you have another listen to "Could This Be Magic?". Best seafaring singalong ever. "Unchained" and "Mean Street" is pretty awesome, too.

There are many, many others before "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love", sir.
You be wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong....
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 1:18 pm

The exeption to this rule is Hall & Oates who got better with each subsequent album

You got that one! On the Mystery Girls record, if you don't like the sequencing, talk to Jordan. Some of the best songs were left off because he didn't want the singles to suck (though I don't think any have ever come out), so the record was diluted right there. I could see his point, but not every song they recorded was good. Then the songs were put into what I think is a terrible order. And the production sucked really, really bad. I still think some of the songs are great, that being said.

The Drags > that horrible final record
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 3:09 pm

The Mystery Girls made up for all what was wrong with Something in the Water with their last seven inch. Under My Tongue was one of the best singles of last year, no question about that!
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 3:24 pm

And the production sucked really, really bad.

i don't think the production sucked; i think that it was mastered too bright - and with some veneer of compression that's not normally heard on those kind of records; you can hear the bones of a good sound there
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 3:56 pm

Jasper, someone needs to talk to them about releasing more of their basement recordings over the years, including a legendary (in local terms) album recorded before Casey started singing in the band. That's always been their best shit, but only Under My Tongue has been released on vinyl. We should have spent more time mixing the first LP - I think it's a good record that came out a little flat in terms of production, but mostly because of the quick-ass mixjob.

The Water production was simply wrong for the band. They were excited going in, I know.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:15 pm

HA! All this MG talk is making me laugh. Something In The Water is a shitty record (way worse than Van Halen, although better than Van Hagar--but I digress) that I am embarrassed by. I'm also not as fond of the 1st one these days, or any of the singles except for the 1st ITR one and the Under My Tongue EP. I'd say the reasons more basement recordings haven't made appearances are 1) there really aren't that many and 2) the band apparently wanted to waste its resources, which it was always fond of doing.

Make no mistake, I think the Mystery Girls had (maybe still have?) the potential to blow away many of the bands people on this board cream over, but never did because we were lazy and made all the wrong moves. We were lucky to have people like Larry Hardy, Mick Collins and Greg Cartwright (among others) be interested in us, but we didn't "hold up our end of the bargain" so to speak.

Sorry for the mini-rant, I should probably shut up.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:25 pm

oh, the new Mystery Girls record (not titled yet, to my knowledge) is good. I like it.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:40 pm

Yes, the new one is awesome, and I've only heard "half" so to speak, due to only one working speaker in our living room. We'll have to start a new thread "Best single album quality improvement" when it comes out.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 5:05 pm

hall & oates got steadily better, and then steadily worse. they don't have a one album drop off, it was like four albums that started with X-Static and culminated with Big Bam Boom. all of those records are pretty crappy, but it's a decline into an abyss. before that Hall and Oates were the greatest of all time. I'm right you're wrong get over it.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 7:18 pm | Edited by: Mullett

Someone started this thread on the Stonerrock.com, so I had to lift it for over here. I got to split for a baseball game & Ian Hunter show in 45 minutes, but I gotta say that I need to post a decent response.

There is a lot to say about LP quality drop off when someone dies (i.e. Bon Scott) or a band member leaves/gets booted (i.e. DLR), but screw it. If they are using the band name, it's the band.

DLR Van Halen is mostly great. There's at least 2 total rippers on every album up to 1984 which features Panama & makes for a fine soundtrack if you are chandelier swingin' tonight.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 7:31 pm

Dagnasty - Can I Say -->Wig Out at Denkos

As far as Van Halen goes, VHII is every bit as rockin' as the first. Fuckin' "Somebody Get Me A Doctor"? "Outta Love Again"? Holy crap on a cracker!

Diver Down was some thrown together shit. They put out that shitty "Pretty Woman" and "Dancin in the Streets" as a stop gap single. It did good, so they were pressured into doing a full album. "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" and "Little Guitars" are great though. "Hang 'Em High" is from '76. It was originally called "Where Were You Last Night" and was MUCH better.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 7:36 pm

What gives with the edit button? Anyway

I dig 1984. Great solos on every tune. I always skip "1984" and "Jump" For me, that record starts with "Panama" You can tell that EVH was about to get into his chorused out shit tone though. He still sounds good, but you can tell the shit is lurking.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 7:40 pm

D.O.A. - Hardcore '81 --> Let's wreck the party

the Damned - damned damned damned --> music for pleasure

the stranglers - black and white --> the raven

the Adverts - Crossing the red sea with the adverts --> cast of thousands
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 7:44 pm

Hey where does a guy get ahold of pre-1st album Van Halen stuff? I want pre-1st album Van Halen stuff.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 7:50 pm

I'm sorry. This band sucks dick no matter what era: the lamest, most stiff rhythm section since Lawrence Welk, a fuckin' wanker show-boater who puts me to sleep on guitar, and the sonofaplasticsurgeon caterwaulin' a plenty= pure shit.

Absolutely and eternally unredeemable. I'm right; you're wrong. Live with it.

I dunno, Joe.

After last night's "waiting for my wife with the keys" viewing, I know we agree on early AC/DC, but I gotta agree with some folks on here that VH1 (the record, not the lame cable channel) is some epic shit. I remember exactly where I was the first time I heard it. My 10 year old mind was truly blown.

For Those About To Rock ---> Flick Of The Switch ( although the REAL good shit ends with Highway To Hell)
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 8:51 pm

Now that I'm not as drunk as when I posted that last diatribe, I must confess...

THAT I STILL AGREE WITH MYSELF!

VH is an abomination upon the ears of the Western World. And was there ever a more uninspired, "un-rocking" rhythm section? No.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 9:23 pm

N.W.A. Straight Out of Compton==>Niggaz4Life
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 9:24 pm

Too Short Life is...==>Short Dog's in the House
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 9:37 pm

David Lee Roth Eat 'em and Smile===>Skyscraper
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 9:51 pm

Jasper, someone needs to talk to them about releasing more of their basement recordings over the years, including a legendary (in local terms) album recorded before Casey started singing in the band. That's always been their best shit, but only Under My Tongue has been released on vinyl.

Ain't you the one to talk to them then?
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 9:53 pm

For Those About To Rock ---> Flick Of The Switch ( although the REAL good shit ends with Highway To Hell)

Well, of course, but Brian Johnson aside, the band self-produced Flick of the Switch after three great production jobs by Mutt Lange, who by then was pretty in demand by the likes of Def Leppard and Foreigner, and it just sounded horrible.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 9:53 pm

i love springsteen like some fellas get over the oblivians!
So do I, but I really like "Tunnel of Love" for the most part. However, I almost wrote him off when he released Human Touch/Lucky Town. I guess that actress/model wife he had for a couple yeard made him go temporarily crazy.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 2:05 am

I guess that actress/model wife he had for a couple yeard made him go temporarily crazy.

times like this make me wish i didn't sign an inch thick non-disclosure agreement

the Damned - damned damned damned --> music for pleasure

that's cuz Brian James was being frustrated out of the band and you might also blame Lu Edmonds on second guitar and producer Nick Mason... the first one was produced by Nick Lowe...

i think its clearly a case of this: There is a lot to say about LP quality drop off when someone dies (i.e. Bon Scott) or a band member leaves/gets booted (i.e. DLR), but screw it. If they are using the band name, it's the band.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 2:10 am

The last time I listened to Music For Pleasure it didn't sound as bad as its reputation would have you believe. I think the Damned got better when Captain Sensible switched to guitar though.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 2:18 am

with the damned, i guess it depends on if you like the dave vanian show or the rock n roll thing that brian james represented. i preferred the james version.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 2:34 am

Out of all the original members of the Damned, I liked Vanian the least. I love James' guitar playing even though Machine Gun Etiquette is my favorite.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 3:06 am | Edited by: dale

Cadillac Ranch? I was driving sorta fast down some county roads today and that song nailed the feeling.

All I know is that if it's the right kinda day with the right kind of weather and 'Rosilita' comes on the radio and it doesn't at least make you smile....well then I just don't know.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 3:32 am

All I know is that if it's the right kinda day with the right kind of weather and 'Rosilita' comes on the radio

it can give you Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 3:49 am

We were lucky to have peoplelike...Mick Collins....interested in us

"Romantics,

Meet the Mystery Girls..."

I'm telling ya...It's Wally Palmar's fault.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 3:50 am

All I know is that if it's the right kinda day with the right kind of weather and 'Rosilita' comes on the radio

it can give you Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

I was raised on a Lake front coast...not an ocean one...
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 4:10 am | Edited by: Theresa K

i was talkin about 22 months bouncing between private jets and the all-cement interiors of america's stadiums.... "rosalita" was the cue that the show was hitting the road; we'd have to go find our VIP guests and take them to waiting limos to go to the after parties. and once wally palmar was one of them!
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 4:31 am

I understand that completely...but who was a bigger goofball. Bruce or Little Steven?

And why does Nil Lofgren get so much stress now too? The guy just wanted a paycheck. He wrote a song "Keith Don't Die"?

I could've swore I heard a Mink Deville song on Sirius the other day...
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 4:35 am

we'd have to go find our VIP guests and take them to waiting limos to go to the after parties. and once wally palmar was one of them

The thing is Theresa you are such the 'cool aunt' type. You should write a scathing memoir someday....I know the things you refrain from telling too much would make for an awesome book.

Come up here and cook for my kids...I know all the good/secret places to shop. I'll pay for all the fixins.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 4:37 am

who was a bigger goofball.

oh dale, surely you know the answer to that!
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 4:45 am | Edited by: dale

I'm guessing the one that that had someone from his "company" pay twice than retail for batch of singles by a girl band who's record appeared on Bancroft and then was pissed cuz the band had broken up a year before?
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 4:51 am

And I bet he ain't gonna play Sun City either...What was that? A white rap song....GAH!!!
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 5:56 am

i like music for pleasure better than anything that came after machine gun etiquette. i never understood all the hate for it.

D.R.I. dealing with it---->crossover
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 5:58 am

oh and slayer south of heaven---->seasons in the abyss
bad brains quickness---->god of love
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 8:43 am

The Go-go's-Beauty and The Beat--> Vacation

Are you serious? Jesus
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 9:18 am

ain't gonna play Sun City either

I love that song.
My favorite part is when Bono gets all up in there and tells me how the niggers feel cold, and the sun's got so much soul.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 1:55 pm

Music for Pleasure is decent, you can tell Brian James had shot most of his load on the first LP though.

Also the last Drags full lenght is alright too but people hate it cause it's not Stop Rock n Roll part deux.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 7:31 pm

Lisa Lisa... Nice call on the Cheap Trick.

Dangerous Pinkie... Which version of GnR Lies? Lies was released prior to Appetite for Stupidity on Uzi Suicide then re-issued afterward with 4 new songs. It's tough to compare a whole LP with 4 songs that weren't good enough to make the LP, then rushed out with a re-issue to cash in on what was becoming a monster cash machine.

Jeff K... Your Dead Boys point is well taken. As per the title of the thread, the following record doesn't have to be crap, just a quality drop. "...Children" is not a bad record, but it isn't the holy grail that "Young Loud..." Pentagram guitarist Victor Griffin likes to point out that he never thought of the Dead Boys as a punk band, but just one of the best rock 'n' roll bands he could ever imagine.

This has turned out to be a nice thread.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 7:44 pm

James P. Johnson - "Songs from Rare Piano Rolls"--> "Best of James P. Johnson"

How can you decipher the greater or lesser shitiness of any Van Halen record. They all assume some sort of absolute zero for me.

Agreed. No Van Halen was ever worth two shits in the outhouse.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 7:48 pm

Mitch Miller - "Party Sing-Along with Mitch" --> "Folk Songs Sing-Along with Mitch"
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 9:01 pm

Pentagram guitarist Victor Griffin likes to point out that he never thought of the Dead Boys as a punk band, but just one of the best rock 'n' roll bands he could ever imagine.

i would agree
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 9:03 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

i mean... i saw them a million times and they were more rock n roll
than punk rock
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 10:19 pm | Edited by: Mullett

"i saw them a million times and they were more rock n roll
than punk rock"

What a poor humdrum life you must lead, Miss K, what having to see the same band a million times. ;)

"Agreed. No Van Halen was ever worth two shits in the outhouse."

Good. More copies form me when I wear through mine.

Speaking of which, did you ever see/hear Van Halen cover Venus & The Razor Blades?
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 11:29 pm

Good. More copies form me when I wear through mine.
So ,the mullett thing is not a joke then,huh?
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 11:37 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

I haven't heard Van Halen cover Venus and the Razor Blades, but hearing them cover the Kinks was bad enough.
Cock rock is not rock n' roll.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 11:39 pm

Cock rock is not rock n' roll.
Tomato/tomato.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 11:41 pm

Van Halen=world's greatest Black Oak Arkansas tribute band
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 11:43 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

David Lee Roth = Greatest Jim Dandy impersonator, maybe, but I don't think VH was even close to a BOA tribute band.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 11:57 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

...more like tomato/ketchup

The hollow, soulless carcass of what was and which you can't dance to worth a shit.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 12:13 am

Sounds like you need to learn how to dance...
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 12:14 am

Speaking of which, did you ever see/hear Van Halen cover Venus & The Razor Blades?

i've seen VH a few times back when they were yet to be signed
they played the whisky; my boyfriend's band once opened for them!

and they may have covered venus & the razor blades but i wouldn't have been paying attention.... i'm sure that steven t and kim fowley will be able to tell me where & when VH did, if ever... and how many people were in the crowd and the $ taken in at the door. shall i ask?

and..........David Lee Roth = Greatest Jim Dandy impersonator
well yeah........ w/ a little Louis Prima thrown in
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 1:01 am | Edited by: red eyed willie

My dancing is SUPER-BAD!

Dance party at your place? Anytime you're ready to get down.

Jes' don't put on no Van Hagar or whatever.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 1:43 am

Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:33 am

HEEE HAWW!
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:00 am

I don't mind a little DLR Van Halen, by any stretch of the imagination. One time, legendary Cowtown trouble maker Craig Reg Allah & I spun "Fair Warning" twice & got rather ploughed in the process. Good work if you can get it.

"Cock rock is not rock n' roll."

You're only kidding yourself. Don't sweat it, though. I don't hold grudges.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 8:45 am

Comets On Fire-"Field Recordings From the Sun'-->'Blue Cathedral'.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:12 pm

Van Halen covered Venus and the Razorblades?...weird, did they do "Punk a rama"....goddamn that song is laughably bad.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:10 am

Real Kids 1st LP ->2nd LP
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:14 am

I don't remember if I've ever heard the Real Kids 2nd LP. I am curious about John Felice's solo album he put out in the late 80's.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:16 am

"Punk a rama"....goddamn that song is laughably bad.

you should have seen Venus & The Razorblades do it live........

you know that guy "Venus" --- he's worth more than $10 million
he's the heir to Unocal
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:21 am

I didn't see this listed yet but its one of the most obvious: CCR followed up Pendulum, maybe their best record and certainly up there with the best with Mardi Gras, definitely their worst.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:32 am

Wasn't Cherie Curie's sister in Venus and the Razorblades or am I thinking of someone else?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:36 am

diane dimond was in venus & the razor blades and maybe vicki blue (runaway)
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:43 am

Didn't Diane Diamond join another band after Venus? My mind's hazy but I do remember them. Fowley's band after the Runaways ditched him, right?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 12:51 am

yeah - she left to go solo
she may have played in the orchids for 5 minutes
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:12 am

huh?

Bee Gees "Trafalgar" => "To Whom It May Concern"
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:07 am

you know that guy "Venus" --- he's worth more than $10 million
he's the heir to Unocal

Figures. (insert puking noise here.)
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:12 pm | Edited by: dale

huh?

The first two Comets On Fire albums were a total mindfuck...'Blue Cathedral' sounded like boring split of boogie rock and flowery hippie shit. Haven't heard the new one yet.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:16 pm

I don't remember if I've ever heard the Real Kids 2nd LP. I am curious about John Felice's solo album he put out in the late 80's.

I like it. Obviously not the Real Kids but pretty decent nonetheless.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:09 am

Okay...Heard the new Comets On Fire alb today...Bah...The first two are the only ones that matter. Fuck them anyway...The Wooden Shjips 10inch have now made a bunch of that stuff pale now. Shit, this Wooden Shjips record and the Mystery Girls concept ep about drugs are everything that modern psych-fuck-punk-bash to needs to sound like (well that and the Gris Gris if they could make a record as colorful and contrasting as their live show)
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:23 am

that and the Gris Gris if they could make a record as colorful and contrasting as their live show)

That's no shit. I love those guys & I don't think the albums are bad, but they don't hold a candle to the live show. They were tearing the Beachland Ballroom's tavern apart when Greg decided the best thing to do with his old beat up acoustic guitar was demolish it against an amp. Startling if not jaw dropping. I'm not saying a band needs to destroy an instrument to have a good show, but nothing punctuates a live show for me like ferocity.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:05 am | Edited by: dale

I think it has alot to do with the sonics of a room when it comes to Gris Gris...or that Ashley hasn't found the proper engineer that knows how to tweak, pan and boost. I like there albums and I know a couple of people who LOVE their albums. I think the big contention with me is that I saw them live (with Ronnie Farsworth, some dude that went by the name of Kongher and Jor Dan DeVaIss whispering in my ear until they started playing) and heard their records secondly. The people I know who love their records have never seen them live.

One of the times I saw them was when Indian Jewelry opened. They sliced open my head that night but Gris Gris the added saltwater and sugar to the wounds...That night ruled.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:42 am

Whoh dudes. You got to slow down.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:15 am

Dale... I want to party with you, Cowboy.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:48 am

Blue Cheer-Outsideinside --> New!! And Improved!!
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 7:41 am

Blue Cheer-Outsideinside --> New!! And Improved!!

That's no shit. Oh! Pleasent Hope is even a drop from that. Hippy-dippy music just isn't my cup of tea.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 7:56 am

Dale... I want to party with you, Cowboy.

Umm...Cowboy?
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 8:02 am

or that Ashley hasn't found the proper engineer that knows how to tweak, pan and boost

Exactly. I've seen them a few times. Love it when they are organic. "Season". notsomuch.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 8:05 am

Trick with psych is to make it as it happens, not because you're making it,
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 8:33 am

Umm...Cowboy?

Cowgirl?
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 2:25 pm

Gris Gris really should just do a live record - never thought of that before. Seems like the room acoustics and the incidentals are a big part of what makes them resonate. I like the studio stuff, too, but moreso than any other band right now, there's an enormous gap between a great Gris Gris performance and the records.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 4:52 pm

What's amazing about the Gris Gris live is that they sound WAY more full than on record. I'm not even sure how its possible (given the fact that its all real live insturments being played in that band and you can tinker away to your hearts content in the studio), but its true. Their performance of "Big Engine Nazi Kid Daydream" last time they were in town blew me away and sounded a million times huger than on "For the Season." The records are good, but they aren't even close to as great as they are live. The same problem permiates the new Besnard Lakes LP, which is great and actually better than any of the Gris Gris LPs to date, but still falls short of their fucking great live performances.

Has anyone outside of the city of Montreal ever heard the Besnard Lakes before? I doubt it, but they are one of the modern day forces of psych rock and need to get more recognition. It should also be noted that the Besnard Lakes frontman Jace Lasek is the person responsible for the great sounding new Sunday Sinners recordings featuring Jordan and Matt from the Mystery Girls.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:25 pm

I am an idiot, because I was planning on recording the Gris Gris live in GB on at least one, possibly two occasions and didn't for various not-good-enough reasons...I figured their set up and my live-recording-set-up would result in the most accurate live recording I've ever done...guess that means next time I have no choice.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:47 pm

DO IT!!!
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:40 pm

My favorite part is when Bono gets all up in there and tells me how the niggers feel cold, and the sun's got so much soul.

don't think we don't know where you stole this from...
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:46 pm

sun's

It's SLUM.

SHEESH!
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 12:16 am

jeff beck - Truth --> Beck-ola
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 1:45 pm

Real Losers - Time to Lose --> Music for Funsters

100 posts about the Mystery Girls and no one calls BS on this? Music for Funsters kills Time to Lose in my opinion.
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 2:55 pm

Music for Funsters is better. Sounds a lot sharper than the first LP.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®