Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / is DC worth playing?
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 6:56 pm

i gotta know
if so, where do you play?
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 7:09 pm

no.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 7:34 pm

Dischord House - front lawn
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 9:35 pm

we got a show there that april n referred us to called THE WAREHOUSE NEXT DOOR. playing there Sept. 11
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 9:39 pm

Opening for Cindy Sheehan?
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 10:16 pm

the one show I've been to in DC in 5 years or so was, coincidentally, the rat traps show at the warehouse next door. It was suprisingly well attended, so there may be hope for DC yet. but you'd probably have more fun in richmond or baltimore.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 10:37 pm

Yes, it is worth it, as much as it is worth it to play most places, but it isn't the kind of place that is going to always drag the kids out in droves.

The reason that Rat Traps show was so well attended is because the opening band, who i forget, brought out many people as i think it was their first show. but a lot stuck around and they got to see something really good. no one ever really plays here, so people don't know shit.

But, the guy who booked that show, Scott, at Warehouse Next Door, and who books a few other places (Red & Black and DC9) gives basically all the cash to the touring band (i don't know if that is common but he seems to be the opposite of the asshole promoter people bitch about). he also puts a lot of bands up at his house and has house shows. also people will attend stuff he books just because he doesn't book shit that sucks. his email is snailhook at hotmail

from what he's told me though, he's getting sick of it, cause yeah there are times there are 7 people there, so i don't know what his plans are

as cities, dc kinda blows, philly and balt are millions of times better, but they don't always draw more.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 10:38 pm

dark skies played the warehouse next door. it was awsome. and some of you memphians might remember a david dunlop jr, who writes music articles for the paper there. he gave us a real good writeup and we got crazy stoned at this wild skate compound.

check out the points from richmond. they might have some good ideas.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 2:27 am

when are you thinking about for the dc area? what band is this?
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 2:07 pm

Kevin, DC sucks. It is horrible. but the museums are free.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 2:40 pm

MOTO played a great show in DC at Warehouse Next Door. A+++ would play there again.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 8:01 pm

warehouse is cool but seriously, if you're considering the dc area, you're better off with towns in that general area that aren't dc. richmond is cool, and charlottesville has one place called the atomic burrito (moto played there, marked men, functional blackouts/sneaky pinks) that is alotta fun too. email me for info about those places at marketmj (AT) jmu.edu
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 10:04 pm

Atomic Burrito in Charlottesville is AWESOME! White Yuppie Nightmare by day... Packed crazy bar by night... That was one of our best shows on tour.
Posted: Aug 10, 2006 5:07 am

as long as you dont play the velvet lounge in dc - you should be fine. you might as well just play a boombox in a street.
Posted: Aug 10, 2006 6:03 am

jerkalert- which band are ya? i've seen a bunch of great shows at atomic.
Posted: Aug 10, 2006 8:24 am

We went to the Atomic Burrito with THe Creteens. That place rules. Great crowd, free tacos (get the fish tacos), free beer, and cash. What more can you ask for. I'm sending everyone there now.
Posted: Aug 10, 2006 8:25 am

By the way KEvin how far south are you going?
Posted: Aug 10, 2006 12:48 pm

Kevin: Definitely play Charlottesville. As Justin said, it was one of the best, most fun shows on our tour. The Mistreaters would do great there...free food, beer, paid well, awesome people.
Posted: Aug 10, 2006 5:38 pm

the warehouse next door makes a stiff drint, fact.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:42 am | Edited by: dustymedical

ok thank you for the tips. the band that was gonna play with us can't now, and they're telling me to try for Velvet Lounge, DC9 or Red And the Black... should i ditch these and try for Warehouse Next Door or Atomic Burrito? sounds like the best idea from your responses. who do i talk to at the Warehouse?

ps this is for NIGHT TERRORS + GOODNIGHT LOVING on November 7
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 6:05 am

there is booking contact info on their website. i lost the email for the guy who set up our show.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 7:25 am

go for atomic burrito- it'll end up being way more fun. let me know and i can get you in touch with the guy who books there.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 2:48 pm

there are a few people who book the warehouse, one is scott, snailhook at hotmail. Don't play the velvet lounge. there has not been a show worth seeing there in probably 3 years.

i think the same people own dc9 and red & black.

i've never been to charlottesville so for all i know the atomic burrito isn't stictly a fucking retarded name and will be a much better time.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 4:49 pm

Oh Shit, whats the deal with the velvet lounge?
I got Scott from the Electrocutions to book a show there for me for October.

Someone fill me in on this joint!
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:40 pm

there isn't anything wrong with the velvet lounge per se, i've seen comets on fire, and mono there and a couple of other good things, but that was a few years ago. i personally haven't been there is probably half of that time. i'm just saying bands like those, who have 'name recognition' for lack of a better term wouldn't play there any more i don't think. at least no one has played there in a while. maybe they have a built in scene that shows up or something i don' t know.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 3:15 pm

can anyone help us fill in this night? charlottesville fell through and i never heard back from anyone in DC. it's on a Tuesday so i'd imagine there HAS to be a club with an open date...
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 4:17 pm

you've tried the red and the black and the rock and roll hotel?
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 4:20 pm

Also--Warehouse Next Door is not doing shows anymore
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 4:22 pm

have you tried for a backstage show at the black cat? probably a long shot..

dusty, e-mail me about the nola show. clmartel at gmail.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 4:31 pm

Black Cat's got a main stage show at 8 that night.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 4:46 pm

I can't promise guarantee or recommend anything but i will email scott, who books around town to see if he want, or has a bill to put you on.

yeah, so apparently the people who own warehouse next door are going to revamp it and, i kid you not it is going to be something like a setting for intimate acoustic shows or some yuppie bullshit crap like that.

so i think a lot of those shows are going to be moving back to the warehouse. dc 9 and the red & black.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 4:48 pm

we went to the red & the black this weekend and it was pretty fun, though it seemed out in the middle of nowhere. not even close to a metro
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 7:42 pm

i emailed Scott and he never got back to me, maybe it was because "Warehouse" was in the subject line.. i dunno .. any help is very much appreciated!!
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 10:05 pm

Yeah, he emailed me and said he is going to be out of town on the 7th, his band will be on a min-tour (Kohoutek, they are sort of improv-pysch) so he can't do it.

Looks like velvet lounge, black cat, red and black and rock and roll hotel all have shows. i don't see anything at dc9, so if you felt like looking into there

http://www.dcnine.com/portal/book_a_show/

i can't think where else, maybe the galaxy hut, which is a tiny place in arlington, right outside dc
http://www.galaxyhut.com/contact/contact.html

if i can think of anything else i'll let you know
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 12:40 am

Jerkalert, I totally missed y'alls playing in LA... I was bummed that I knew nothing about it. Thanks for the 7". It rules so much I don't mind that it's got a couple skips. It was good to meet you.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®