Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / My first plane ride, ever
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 7:14 am

Never been on an airplane, but I guess I have to so I can see the motherfucking Chumps in Austin, in November. Holy crap it's going to be great.

I've heard that if you have long legs and wide shoulders, well, air travel is plain going to suck (also for the unfortunate souls seated next to you). If you buy a ticket off like expedia.com or some shit, can you request that seat by the door everyone always tells me to get if I fly? How does that shit work?
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 8:16 am

you can only get the bulkhead seats from checking in at the airport. get their early. sweet talk the gate agent or the ticket agent when you check your bags.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 8:57 am

Also, it helps to have the airlines Frequent Flyer card. It will help you get preferential treatment if you get bumped & have to go stand-by.

If you pay an extra $24 at the gate, United Express will give you a seat with 5" more legroom.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 9:13 am

so even if you have a ticket, those fucks can bump you off the flight and make you 'stand-by'? It looks like American Airlines is the cheapest round trip flight (289 bucks, seattle to austin). There a reason for that (picture a shoddy prop plane with chickens and cows in it)? I am dreading packing my big ass in a plane, but driving would be insanely expensive and time consuming as hell.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 9:16 am

take the train bozo
you might meet your future wife..
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 1:42 pm

Go to southwest.com. They usually have super cheap tickets, especially this far in advance. Also, expedia and shit won't post southwest/sun country/frontier flights anyways.
As far as seating on southwest, check in online 24 hours before your flight. They don't assign seats, but give you priority based on when you check in. If you're in the "A" group, you board first, which means you get your first choice of seats. Get in line right when you get there to get the best seat for yourself. I was on a flight on Saturday on SW and got the seat with no seat in front of me. No tray table, but lots and lots of leg room!!!!! You can also easily get an exit row seat too, which gives you extra room. They won't charge ya extra either!!!!
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 3:21 pm

Chumps
So the Chumps are back together? I went to see them in Austin in April of '00, but the night they were going to play they broke up...
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 3:35 pm

I think its a reunion show. Sean and Duane are also in a new band called Nervous Hospital.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 4:35 pm

so even if you have a ticket, those fucks can bump you off the flight and make you 'stand-by'?

if a flight is over-sold and everyone shows up, they will ask for volunteers to be bumped. you'll get on the next plane AND a voucher for future travel. not a bad deal. i try to get bumped whenever i can
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 6:16 pm

"so even if you have a ticket, those fucks can bump you off the flight and make you 'stand-by'?"

What Ms. K said, plus, having a ticket is no guarantee the plane is going to take off. Airlines do overbook flights by as much as 30% sometimes, because they know everyone isn't going to show up for it. Legally, the airlines can not lie (i.e. tell you there's problem with weather when it's a plane or crew problem), but there is no doubt in my mind they do anyways. Besides weather, flights get cancelled around the country on a daily basis.

Seattle to Austin is a hell of a trip. You got a great price & I wouldn't try to drive it, either. However, when I go back to Memphis, I am definately driving. Between the plane ride & what we had to pay for a rental car, it would have much more inexpensive.

On the way back from Memphis, there was a guy at the United counter who was absolutely livid. He checked in an hour in advance, then, for some reason, got tied up by security so long that he missed his flight. United isn't going to take responsibility for that for any reason.

If you are traveling alone or do not have a pressing schedule, getting bumped isn't a bad deal, really. However, if the next plane doesn't go out at a reasonable hour (many regional flights are only 2 or 3 times daily), the next flight may be the next day.

"(picture a shoddy prop plane with chickens and cows in it)? " I used to fly Saab Turbo Props quite a bit between Chicago/Columbus & Chicago/Toldeo. Although I don't fly as much as I used to & am not in airports near as much, I haven't seen one in a while.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 6:28 pm

it's like being on a more expensive, less comfortable greyhound bus... that flies. an awful, but sometimes necessary experience.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 6:44 pm

My next-door neighbor, buddy, and sometime roadie is in Nervous Hospital. He also works at Southwest, and yeah they have cheap flights.

DO NOT attempt to drive from Seattle to Austin. Now that gas is 3 bucks a gallon, that ain't really an option even if you DID have all the time in the world. Try Southwest or JetBlue, they are usually cheaper, but check all the airlines 'cuz you never know. When I went to NYC in May I flew American and it was cheaper than the "cheap" airlines.

I'll probably be at that show, too. Buy me a beer!
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 6:46 pm

I have no complaints about ANY american airline after flying Polish Lot airlines...good god.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 7:01 pm

Alaska Airlines might have some deals to/from Seattle also

and if you're driving that route, you may have to driive in California where gas is like $3.50 a gallon
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 8:23 pm

Watch out for the motherfuckin snakes!
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 12:35 pm

Watch out for the motherfuckin snakes
i don't care if Sam Jackson is in that movie, I ain't goin'
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 1:06 pm

My first plane ride I jumped out of. First ten really. It got to the point that landing seemed scarier to me than jumping.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 4:24 pm

you were a paratrooper ken???
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 4:31 pm

Southwest seems cheaper, but when you realize the prices they give you are for one way, and that they don't yet include tax, said cheapness is not always the case. Ditto Jet Blue. I usually get the best prices through Orbitz, but try 'em all (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, etc) and see what you get.

Also Chris, don't worry about getting bumped. Unless you're flying standby, the possibility of them not letting you fly with a ticket in hand is pretty nonexistant.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 5:26 pm

Watch out for the motherfuckin snakes
i don't care if Sam Jackson is in that movie, I ain't goin'

We saw a trailer for it last night, the trailer was hilarious, over the top. I don't know if I want to see it or not, I just know there's been a big buzz about it on the Internet for months...
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 10:18 pm

No Dirk, I did it to impress a girl the first time.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 10:35 pm

I usually get the best prices through Orbitz, but try 'em all (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, etc) and see what you get.

i use orbitz as a benchmarker number.... expedia and travelocity offer higher prices than orbitz but not everyone makes deals w/ those brokers.

often, the airlines WILL have cheaper flights.

yes - southwest, ATA, airtran, us air and america west all seem cheaper because of the 1-way thing.... but the one feature their online ticketing offers is that grid where, if your days are flexible, you really can get cheap flights... like the $99 internet only fares.

HINT: Wednesdays at midnight are when the new fares n specials are posted. many times, real airlines have good deals.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 11:22 pm

i love ken. (not in a gay way.)
Posted: Aug 10, 2006 2:51 pm | Edited by: peterson

kayak.com and sidestep.com seem to have better flight prices than the orbitz/travelocity/expedias of the world, from my experience.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®