Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / RIP Deadly Snakes
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 6:34 pm

Posted: Aug 7, 2006 6:49 pm

why is that on fucking pitchfork and not in the red ?
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 7:05 pm

I'm probably totally fucking bummed.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 7:12 pm

What are you doin' reading that Pitchfork shit anyway? Goner's all you need... fag. :)
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 7:41 pm

it was good run for those guys for sure. definitely some of my favorite records of the last few years. look forward to the next round of stuff. wonder who else is playing that show in toronto?
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 7:50 pm

wonder who else is playing that show in toronto?

BBQ

I'm also totally bummed.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 8:02 pm

now they'll be a cult band and people will drool at the thought of ever seeing them live.

much like many of us did!
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 8:04 pm

How is the Andre Either solo album?
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 8:13 pm

How is the Andre Either solo album

Some good, some not good. More folksy and "Dylan-esque", as the critics are prone to say.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 8:58 pm

that sucks cause 75% of what i have listened to in the last 3 days has been deadly snakes and i was getting amped to see them again. its like pie in my eye,
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:10 pm

I read this on the garagepunk.com board first - they "scooped" the Goner board.

They will be missed. I was hoping there would be a "farewell tour", but it looks like no. Larry says there will be a live recording made of the last show, though.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:13 pm

I like that first Andre solo album and his second comes out tomorrow I think.

I read somewhere on the cyberweb that they're gonna release that farewell show as a live record and also might continue to record but not tour.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:37 pm

I saw them with Greg O, so fuck alla you!
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:49 pm

That sucks! I've seen 'em twice, but I was really wanting to see them tour their latest album.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:50 pm

I saw them with Greg O, so fuck alla you!

The show at Manitobas was the best of those I saw with Greg. Crazy, inspired and really really close.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:50 pm

Fuck it, I'm goin' to Canada! How big is that Horseshoe place?
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 10:01 pm

I've never seen them, but they are one of my favorite bands. I knew this was coming from rumors but I am totally bummed.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 11:12 pm

Saw them three or four times. They always seemed to play poorly advertised/attended but great shows here in the Northwest. Missed the last one at Towne Lounge a few months back, but heard from a friend that it was "life affirming".
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 11:18 pm

I am wearing a Schooley provided Deadly Snakes refugee-tee....
They break up and Michael Bolton still lives...there is no God....
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 11:25 pm

Yeah, damn, I thought I'd just replace that t-shirt with another one the next time they came to town, Colby! I lost weight and wanted another medium instead of larges. I always bought a shirt whenever they came to town and had like 5 of 'em...
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 11:30 pm

Sherry gave me one too!
So I have 2 DS refugee-tees!
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 12:22 am

The show at Manitobas was the best of those I saw with Greg. Crazy, inspired and really really close.

count me in--i was at that one.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 12:30 am

reading the article makes me not so sad they are calling it a day. it has to wear on you when you play US tours for 6 years and never increase your fan base, despite plenty of critical acclaim... they deserved more than anyone could give 'em
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 12:43 am

Great band. We (the chinese millionaires) played with them on a three day weekend jaunt around Ohio back in 1998. That sucks that they're finished.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 1:42 am

I got to see them A LOT through the years. The first time was when they did some US dates with the Spaceshits so many years ago...Been a favorite of mine ever since.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 3:06 am

the Spaceshits

they were also playing with us on our "mini-tour" in Ohio in 1998. Khan was known as "Black Snake" at that time.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 3:09 am

i wonder if faggy millionaire ever does anything but troll message boards lookin for a chance to mention that he was in a band nobodys ever heard of...
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 3:22 am

i wonder if dirk digglewiggle ever does anything but troll message boards, period.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 3:26 am

No dirky, I spend most of my time promoting upcoming shows for my old has-been band that people remember, but feel sorry for. Come see me at Union Pool!!! My curly hippy-locks will be in full-effect!!! Wait a second, that's not me...
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 3:12 pm

Horseshoe site says their last show's gonna be two sets, with BBQ opening!!
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 3:36 pm

Sucks. One of my favorite bands of the last ten years by a fair margin. This show should be in Montreal (their second home), but I might make the trek down for this one.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 6:04 pm | Edited by: dale

the Spaceshits

they were also playing with us on our "mini-tour" in Ohio in 1998. Khan was known as "Black Snake" at that time.

Yep. Was that the same jaunt that you guys played the Gold Dollar together?

My first time meeting those guys was in '97 when they toured for the Winter Dance Party album. I don't think they had many shows set up for it though cuz they ended up staying at my house for 3 days...
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 6:30 pm

the Gold Dollar

It must have been.
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 9:31 pm

The Deadly Snakes played two killer shows this weekend. The Friday show was the official send-off. They played two full sets and three encores. BBQ played drums for one song and sang vocals for three others (Big Bird, Waddling Around, and Let It All Go). They played Cotton Stained Red, which I don't think I ever heard them play live before and ended with a drunken rendition of Louie Louie. I took some shitty videos on my digital camera, one of which can be viewed here:

Saturday was the real last show. They took requests, Pat Pantano played drums for a few songs, many shots were consumed, BBQ joined them again, and there was much dancing. The vibe was a lot cooler and looser on Saturday and it was one of the three best shows I've seen them play (out of 20 or so).

Watching them, I wondered why they never made it big. I don't know if its because they refused to play the industry game, or if its just because they were overlooked. Either way its a shame. Dan Burke wrote a great tribute here: http://www.stillepost.ca/boards/index.php?topic=56975.0
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 10:08 pm

did Dan Burke offer them drugs?
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 10:12 pm

What do you consider "big?" Within this microcosm they were rightly huge. Nothing good ever hits it "really big" in the mainstream. They weren't young & pretty, and had no "electrifying" frontman = par for the course.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 7:16 pm

they had 2 electrifying frontmen, 3 when greg played with them
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 7:24 pm

"Electrifying" is in quotes, because your average young "rock" fan would not find any of them so. Dig?
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 7:43 pm

just sayin'
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 7:48 pm

I know. They shoulda pink-haired their way to the top. And worn snake suits.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 7:52 pm

Nickleback has a hideous and non-electrifying frontman and they're huge. It's all a crapshoot.

Does anyone know if Porcella sold well? I sort of wondered if the attention of the Pitchfork community helped at all.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 3:43 pm

Nickleback has a hideous and non-electrifying frontman and they're huge. It's all a crapshoot.

he looks like the cowardly lion...him and James Heftfield could play him on a broadway production..
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®