Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Rare interesting records
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 7:53 pm

Which ridiculously rare records are your favourite?

Here are a few I've read about:

1."Creating a comprehensive discography for the Gerogerigegege is virtually impossible. The band is renowned for their limited edition releases and for appearing on compilations. One conceptually based "cassette" titled "Art is Over" (Vis--Vis Audio Arts, 199?) didn't even contain a tape, only a severed octopus tentacle stapled to the inside of the tape's case."
http://www.artnotart.com/gero/revC-artisover.html

2."I have a Boredoms record that's an edition of one. I swapped some early Masonna stuff [with Eye] for it. It's cut right on top of an old New York Dolls record, so the needle slides back and forth from Boredoms to Dolls. Really great."--Yamazaki Takushi of Masonna, as quoted in Bananafish #9.

3."Eye was telling me about how the Karoake bars in Osaka have the capability to record a CD of the patron's evening of song for about $20 (they must be using that computer based recordable CD format).
"Eye talked about how he had them record his sing-along to 'Born To Be Wild.' Just the idea of this blew my mind. Unfortunately, he doesn't have it anymore. He went to a record shop (Forever 3 in Osaka, I believe) and sold it for like $70...and the store sold it for about $150 almost immediately.
This CD was bought by Ozaki of Prisoner No. 6, is credited to Hanatarash, and also includes the children's song "Omocha no Cha Cha Cha" ("Toy Cha Cha Cha"). According to Ozaki (in an article he wrote about the CD in Exile Osaka #5), it also included one of Eye's teeth, which had been extracted by a dentist because it had a large cavity in it (and which continues to decay). He also bought the Boredoms EP Bon Bon Chiki Bon, which was also limited to one copy and sold for 100000 ($1000).

This is my favourite -

4.Other rare Boredoms records made by Eye on the vinyl cutting machine he bought at a flea market are Chiki Bon Bon (one copy only, which was priced at 100000 ($1000 U.S.) upon release, sold at GIGA and bought by Ozaki of Prisoner No. 6), Kyokumoku Fumei (Unknown Songs), of which only two copies were made, and a couple of untitled singles which Eye cut with incomplete and locked grooves, which made the needle jump and played the record differently every time. Six numbered copies of each of these were made, packaged in pink sleeves with drawings on them (but no song titles), and sold for 3800 ($38 U.S.) each at Time Bomb Records in Osaka.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 7:58 pm

I got a 5" vinyl record by this guy Solypsis I set up with a show recently. It from an edition of 30. Guess it's probably not worth alot as he's not very well known, but the music is probably better than any of the releases mentioned above.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 8:07 pm

I have an Evolutions record which seems to be pretty rare in the US.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 11:22 pm

I have a One Way Streets "Jack The Ripper"/"We All Love Peanut Butter" 7". For a 40 year old record of which there are believed to be 30 or so copies, it's not that rare. I had 4 at one time. 3 of them became Christmas gifts. If you want to hear it, it was comped on the 1st Back
from the Grave LP.

I also have a very nice copy of "God Bless The Red Krayola & All Who Sail With It." Not limited to <100, sure, but try finding one, even on eBay.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 11:48 pm | Edited by: mikesniper

I have a One Way Streets "Jack The Ripper"/"We All Love Peanut Butter" 7". For a 40 year old record of which there are believed to be 30 or so copies, it's not that rare. I had 4 at one time. 3 of them became Christmas gifts. If you want to hear it, it was comped on the 1st Back
from the Grave LP.

That's a cute and expensive gift:

http://popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=one+way+streets

Here's another one that's easy to come by, right?:

http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4056272834
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 2:49 am

I have The Junior Executives (Guy from Repent's 70's punk band) 45. That's about as rare as I get. Anybody know if it's worth any money? Michael Lucas's old band?
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:24 am

I got some cardboard Disney records
Peter Pan
Davy Crockett
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:38 am

"That's a cute and expensive gift:"

Cheater Slicks found them @ Colleen's Collectibles in Columbus. All 4 cost much less than the 2nd auction in 1998. Cheater Slicks had done a lot for me at the time, including letting me tag along in Europe. I wouldn't have known the records were there if it weren't for them. Furthermore, it wasn't meant to be cute. It was meant to be a nice gift for some guys who knew what it was & could really appreciate it.

Besides, we deserve it.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:39 am

BTW, I think the one that sold for $966 went to a guy in the Dirtbombs.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:55 pm

Furthermore, it wasn't meant to be cute. It was meant to be a nice gift for some guys who knew what it was & could really appreciate it.

Wasn't harshin' ya!
It's cool. Records are meant to be enjoyed, not coveted.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 8:03 pm

I think Michael Lucas still has a pile of them, so it's never gotten very expensive. I've heard some reports that this is a great Crime-influenced record, and other folks say it sucks.

I have The Junior Executives (Guy from Repent's 70's punk band) 45. That's about as rare as I get. Anybody know if it's worth any money? Michael Lucas's old band?
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 8:09 pm

I can't find it on popsike, but the guy who sold that black vinyl Misfits Horror Biz ran another auction at the same time called something like "4 punk records", which the picture revealed to be crap, crap, crap, and the Nothing "Scream n Cry / Uniformz".

Here's another one that's easy to come by, right?:

http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4056272834
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 8:13 pm

Johnny and the Dicks was a 1978 post-Electric Eels band who put out an album which didn't actually have any vinyl inside the DIY sleeve.

http://www.clepunk.com/bands/johnnyandthedicks/index.htm

I'm actually looking for one of these, and will trade well for it. I've only seen it on eBay once.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 8:20 pm

I have Sivad Buries Rock and Roll b/w Dickie Drakeller with picture sleeve on the Tom-Tom label.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 8:53 pm

Puke, Spit and Guts.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®