Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Shangri-La's??!?!?!
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 7:39 am

Friday, Oct. 6 in Milwaukee:
The Ultimate Doo Wop Show Featuring:
Dion
plus Lou Christie, The Shangri-Las, The Crystals, The Tymes, and Daddy Cool's Doo-Wop Orchestra
Friday, October 6 @ 7pm

Is this the Mary Weiss/Reigning Sound thing?? A fake group??? Anybody know?
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 8:48 am

I don't know all the details, but dear friend, Carol Schumacher, may be playing on a Mary Weiss solo record. Carol plays bass for Reigning Sound, The Detroit Cobras, & The Gore Gore Girls. She a busy lady.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 10:25 am

If you go, bring rotten eggs to throw. Those are some fake shangrilas. I talked to MW, and she's really very upset about it. She's gone to court and and what it comes down to is that there is nothing she can do.

On an infinitely more happy note, the recording with the reigning sound is sounding soooooooooooo unbelievably amazingly good. It knocked me flat on my ass.

Mary's the coolest.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:15 pm | Edited by: Adam K

Aw man, I had a sneaking suspicion that it was a sham. Motherfuckers shouldn't toy w/ my emotions about seeing Mary Weiss live like that!! The #1 person/group I wanna see live...

I'm DYING to hear those recordings!!!!!!!!!! Does she do ALL original songs, or some covers as well?
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:36 pm

a lot of these doo wop oldies shows have groups that are not the original members or only have one or two of the original members so watch out. This Shangri-Las is probably bogus considering that the original line up havent sung together in years. Yeah this new Mary Weiss project looks cool her with the Reiging Sounds. Cant wait for this to come out
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:49 pm

a lot of these doo wop oldies shows have groups that are not the original members or only have one or two of the original members so watch out.

Very true in some cases former members or the estate of former members will SELL the name to a new group who will perform the songs and perform under the name.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 7:29 pm

I'm DYING to hear those recordings!!!!!!!!!! Does she do ALL original songs, or some covers as well?

andy is too humble to have mentioned that she recorded a song he wrote with dave the spazz

they recorded enough songs for 2 albums.... have no idea what's going to make the cut.... there were some fantastic songs. i am astonished to say that i've heard them all. i'm glad i am not the one who has to decide what songs make the album and which ones don't. tough job and i'm glad MW, greg and billy have to make those decisions
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 7:59 pm

Posted: Aug 2, 2006 11:14 pm

Some scumbag promoter decided to look into the shangri-las in the 80's. He found that the name had not been trademarked or copyrighted. He simply did this and has since been passing off fake shangri-las ever since. Really lame. This record is one of the best things I've ever been involved with. And it's the first studio record the Reigning Sound has made with our new line-up!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:47 am

you are a genius, ed.
i am haunted by the record's greatness, and all i've heard, as you know, is the rough stuff.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 8:44 am

ps...ed, please be checking your email, thanks
Posted: Aug 6, 2006 9:24 pm

damn I cant wait to hear this record
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 12:37 am

First post here...

Any idea when this new record will come out?
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 1:02 am

This sounds fantastic. Can't wait to hear it.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 1:04 am

It isn't the Shangri Las without Mary Weiss. I'm dying to hear the new record.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 1:58 am

Any idea when this new record will come out?

you should keep watching Norton Records website and myspace for news
www.nortonrecords.com
join their mailing list
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 2:23 am

ML: Were the twins like you? Was there a shared Shangri-Las persona?

MW: Mary Ann and Margie were more assertive, actually, as far as their public persona. Both of them were much gruffer than me. They both had great senses of humor. They were pranksters.

BM: What'd they do?

MW: Mostly stupid stuff. Margie added an apostrophe and an 's' to Marvin Gaye's door and took the 's' off his last name and so his door read "Marvin's Gaye".
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 2:46 am

It's nice to see Norton on MySpace (and Mary too!)

I envy anyone who has heard the rehearsals. They can keep the fake Shangri-Las, I'm dying to hear what she has to offer today.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 3:14 am

I ran into Threresa K at Pass Out Records on Friday and she showed me the recording session pics. If it sounds as good as it looks it's gonna be some goose bump shit.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 7:44 am

yes.... Mary Weiss, The Reigning Sound, the recording studio crew + Norton Records equals 9 people - enough for a softball team... they're ready to take on any good sports out there...
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:49 pm

for those of you who are curious about the photos I took during the recording sessions.... they are surfacing.

You can see a nice pic of Mary Weiss and the Reigning Sound on a Brooklyn rooftop on Mary's myspace page in her pictures section

http://myspace.com/maryweiss
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:52 pm

man...can you post some elsewhere briefly, theresa?
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:57 pm

sorry stephanie, i can't post any of those mary weiss/rs pictures until and unless mary or norton records do first
they own em now
i just took em
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 5:59 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

nevermind.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:08 pm

Stephanie, there's a couple pics on the Norton site as well...go to "Norton News" and scroll down a bit.

These pictures and little tidbits of info (some way-cool song titles on the Norton site too!!!) are just fueling the fire of my enthusiasm for this record. It's gonna be EPIC!!
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:17 pm

the record is gonna be great! i heard 19 songs while i was in there, snappin away. i don't want to be the person who has to make the final decision, let me tell ya.

also on the norton records website, you can see the ALARM CLOCKS pix as picture sleeves.

yeah yeah yeah..... bazooka joe has seen em already - before i offloaded them from my computer. cuz i luv him and cuz the forces that be threw us in the same place at the same time just when i was thinking of him. bazooka.... welcome back to nyc. sorry i couldn't greet you myself. i'm in LA now
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:20 pm

ok, theresa.
thanks, adam.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:22 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

man, she's still so pretty. those two pics are great. such big smiles!
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:26 pm

I'm so lucky.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 6:32 pm

mary is a doll. i love her. she's down to earth and fun.
her voice is amazing. its still identifiable as the voice of the shangri la's but its grown and mellowed (ie: the teenage nasal drama is gone) just like fine wine... and its grown in maturity as in "savoir faire."

unlike marianne faithfull -although i love her raspy, gravelly, ravaged voice these days- whose voice is haunted with the tales from the dark side......mary weiss's voice is enlightened by life

ok - dirk.... dig in.
i told you.......i'm lovin life and i sound like a fuckin hallmark card
but i did the best work of my career the last 3 weeks in nyc... what can i say? i'm lovin it.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 7:04 pm

Man, I can't wait to hear this record. has there been any discussion about Mary doing any touring after it comes out?
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 8:14 pm

the shangri-la's are part of my family history like the 5 satins. i gave billy miller a choice story from my mom that he used in the mary weiss interview about my godfather legendary nyc 60's dj babalou who introduced the shangs to shadow morton in his apartment. the rest is hitstory. you're welcome.
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 6:40 pm

simply put its on Norton its got the Reigning Sounds its going to be the shit and Mary Weiss has a myspace page too
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 9:28 pm

For those of you who are too lazy to scroll down the Norton News page on their site, or whatever..... you can see one of the Mary Weiss/RS pix HERE as well as the Alarm Clocks album cover and 7" sleeves I shot for Norton.

MOJO magazine will be printing an item about Mary/RS recording in the issue that hits stands on SEPT 5 and with it, publishing a way cool pic of Mary w/ Greg Cartwright and Billy Miller. Its a gas.
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 6:16 am

For those of you who are too lazy to scroll down the Norton News page on their site, or whatever..... you can see one of the Mary Weiss/RS pix HERE

can't wait to see more!
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 4:19 pm

thats a great pic
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 4:49 pm

I wish she would do a Dolls or Johnny Thunders song since they paid so much homage to The Shangri las.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 6:22 pm

Theresa - did you take the studio pictures found in the slide show on the Reigning Sound myspace page?
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 7:33 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

the guy who does the RS myspace always puts my name next to my pix
i just sent him a new pic - but i don't think its up there yet
mine are the big portrait of greg, the pic of greg w/ pelle and greg in BW playing guitar

thanks mickey!

there's a nice studio pic on norton's news page on norton's home pageL
i can't give you the exact page link because it defaults to their home page... just click on NEWS - its a pic of mary w/ billy miller & greg in a vocal booth. fun stuff
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 7:49 pm

There are a bunch of "in the studio" RS in the second slide show (farthest down on the page). Don't look in the "view more pics" section, you have to look on the slide show to see them.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 8:26 pm

those pix look like they might possibly be from a radio show - did the RS do WFMU recently ? like since Carol has been in the band? the studio where I shot had yellow walls and Vermeer like light (OK - well, i helped it w/ my extra large chimera...)
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 8:50 pm

i told you.......i'm lovin life and i sound like a fuckin hallmark card
but i did the best work of my career the last 3 weeks in nyc... what can i say? i'm lovin it.

exactly how i feel
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 8:52 pm

Hey Lance, what are those pictures on the RS myspace page from (the second slideshow)?
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 9:09 pm

have to say this: when we were taking THE SHOT mary/rs/norton wanted for the album cover, we did like 40-50 takes.... lance was perfect in each one. seriously.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 5:49 pm

shit even the cover is going to rock
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 10:19 pm

Hey Lance, what are those pictures on the RS myspace page from (the second slideshow)?

those are from WMBR 3 Ring Circus show...
Posted: Aug 23, 2006 8:57 am

Posted: Aug 23, 2006 9:15 am

Rich Balls, that's mighty harsh.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 11:23 pm

those are from WMBR 3 Ring Circus show...

they were shot by the WMBR's Joan Hathaway, but the live shots are from that night at the Middle East in Boston, last fall. We are pretty geeked, cause the Turpentine Bros got the crowd all kee-razy.
Posted: Nov 11, 2006 8:25 pm

Over on the garagepunk board there is a link where one can hear the new Mary Weiss track. I just heard it and I think its great, this is going to be a great record.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®