Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Stones are comin' to town - should I bother?
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 10:42 pm

They just announced it. I've never seen 'em. Tickets not officially onsale yet, and they haven't announced the prices, but some scalper places already have them listed at 175-230 bucks. Yeesh. Will I regret it forever if I don't go?

Bo Diddley is comin' to town the same month. Never seen him live either. He may not have it anymore, but it seems like he probably deserves the money more than Keef and Mick...

What to do?
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 10:44 pm

He may not have it anymore,

Alright, you're officially forbidden to ever see Bo. You blew it, pal.
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 10:46 pm

Spend your money on booze and go see the Feelers on Saturday. Or better yet, feed the starving children in Africa.
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 10:47 pm

Funny, just a few minutes ago I read in the paper that

"The Rolling Stones will offer audio access to their remaining European concerts by being the first act to utilize a new technology called Listen Live Now!. The band's 'A Bigger Bang' tour will become the first live concerts to be fee-cast beginning Friday, July 28 at the Rolling Stones' Paris show and continue through the band's Sept. 3 concert in Horsens, Denmark. Fans can tune in from any phone (mobile or land line) and listen live for a fee of US$1.99 per seven-minute feed direct from the soundboard. Under existing proprietary technology, up to one million fans will be able to listen in on selected concerts."

http://www.listenlivenow.com/stones.htm

I really can't imagine it being worth it to see the Rolling Stones in 2006, no matter what the cost.
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 10:48 pm | Edited by: elle

i just about went to see the stones when they came here, but the tickets were expensive even for nosebleed sections. fuck that. i saw them before about 10 years ago (edit: it was actually longer ago than that. damn. i lose track of time.) on my dad's tab so it's not like i haven't ever seen them. if they would only play their really old music, then i would probably like to see them better than if they decide to play some of that shit they are trying to pass off as music these days. gag.
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 10:53 pm

Will I regret it forever if I don't go?
Nah. I'm sure you'll have at least 5 more tours to go see them, if you should choose to do so. Victor Borge continued to tour into his 80's, why not the Stones?
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 10:57 pm

john, i'd vote for going. i saw 'em last year or so and, the setlist was great (they even did 'midnight rambler'). the guitars (esp. ron's, whoda thunk it?) sounded way gnarlier and more fucked up then i expected. and yes, it's expensive, and people have been complaining about their ticket prices since '69 (and look how well that complaint worked out).
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 11:11 pm

Well, I was already gonna go to see Bo Diddley anyway, just 'cuz it's fucking Bo Diddley. But that's gonna be probably 60 bucks or so. I haven't paid that much for a show since I last saw AC/DC, and that was only 45 bucks. (And had 'splosions an' all.) So that's two pricey tickets to buy in the same month, if I saw the Stones, too.

Usually I'm protected from this sort of thing, by generally liking bands nobody else does. Don't have to "fight the crowd" at Country Teasers gigs.
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 11:29 pm

I've been underwhelmed both times I've seen the Stones, once in '98 and this year at Soldier Field (14th row). In fact, I fell asleep at the first show. In Chicago, I had to get up and walk around to try to find something interesting. Even so, Bo Diddley was much, much worse.
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 11:37 pm

what he said. i saw chuck berry recently. that was worth it.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 1:15 am

I saw Bo Diddley way back in 1971 and even then he was doing the message thing. I remember a very long song about pollution which took up half his set. The Rolling Stones concert audience seems to be mostly investment bankers these days. They have about 97 backup musicians and singers and feel justified in charging $200 for tickets. The first time I saw them in 1975 ,the tickets were $10 which was about 50% more than every other big name band ticket price.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 2:10 am

Rent "Gimme Shelter"
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 3:17 am

I'm gonna go. It's general admisssion. I saw Chuck Berry a few months back and it was awful and fantastic all at the same time. I still love the Stones, the newest record is their best since Some Girls (Iknow that's not saying much).
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 3:21 am

the were good in 95, but then they sucked after that when they played the pyrmid in like 98 i think ..... so since then (to me) its not even worth the bother.... unless you have never seen them before, then if you can afford it, go, just to say you went
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 4:49 am

an associate used to be Keefs heroin dealer (back in the day) and every time the pebbles come to C-town keef gives his old dealer 20 tixs which said dealer passes around to all the old skool trippers ...
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 4:58 am

nice
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 3:29 pm

they played here 2 weeks ago. people here either said it's gonna be lame or were to lame to go, so i figured i might just go alone & try to see them cheap and upfront once in my life. i didn't have any big expectations on the setlist & the performance, but i've always loved the stones on record & old videos and the only time i saw them was 10 years ago, lame, 150 meters from the stage, so what the fuck. a week before the show i bought two "front of stage" tickets (which were normally 135 euro each) for 140 euros on ebay. 2 days before the show i sold one of them for 160 euros.

i was at the stadium at 4, just before the doors opened, and it was no problem to get to the very front. the ultra fans of course were all lined up on keiths side already, but i got to 2nd row & 1st by the catwalk on the other side with an easy walk. i sat down for a while, then asked some other people to watch my stuff and went & hit the bar. there i spent the extra money i had made with the tickets on beers & met a couple friends i hadn't seen in years. nice afternoon. i was drunk when i got back to "my place", i had missed most of the crappy support band "starsailor" and had only one hour to wait now. from where i stood, i could basically only see stage, it's like 250 feet wide and 60 feet high - and it was the first time for me to see something like that from up close, so it was pretty interesting. all the big speakers, fans, monitors, lights, firework things it was ridiculous.

i lighted up a big joint when the show started ("bigger bang" on the big screen, so it made boom! and there were animations of explosions and tongues and lips getting sucked into black holes and shit - along with some real explosions on the stage), and my brain was fixed right when charlie sat down and keith started into jumpin jack flash. now, there were like three rows of girls in front of me - nobody between me and the catwalk - and i'm pretty tall myself so it was just perfect. drunk & high and there's the stones like 15 feet away, then playing "it's only r&r", "let's spend the night together" and a new song in between ("oh no, not you again"), which was actually very good too because they played it with LOTS of energy, plain and simple. plus, the sound was very good, loud & clear. the guitars were high in the mix, drums & bass made a nice rumble. i pretty much smiled all the time for the first 20 minutes, because it was all exactly how you would imagine they were in their best times - only looking a little older: ron wood running around making faces and playing some great stuff, keith posing and hitting a couple wrong notes now and then. mick doing hilarious ballet moves and singing REALLY good and strong. and charlie, well you can figure yourself. from up so close, it wasn't even so much of a stadium thing, they were just like a bar band, but the greatest there ever was. i almost shit my pants.
they played tumbling dice & midnight rambler. then it got a little lamer, because they played that new ballad "streets of love" and "night time", which were very boring except for the part of their black singer, she sang great and looked sexy in a hot, short dress. "as tears go by" was nice, keef playing good on the acoustic and mick standing on one spot & moving his arms and legs like a ballet fag again. then keith got his 2 songs, sadly no "happy".
they started into "miss you" and the whole middle of stage moved through the audience to the other side of the arena. now, imagine a small stage with the stones on it, moving past you about 5 feet away from you, playing that ridiculous disco beat of "miss you". when they came back they played honky tonk women and keef was on my side playing his solo. now, the worst part of the whole show was the audience - they were very quiet except for clapping now and then. so there i was, drunk idiot among an otherwise quiet audience, keith richards 5 feet in front of me noodling his solo. of course, i screamed "KEEEEEEF!!!!!!! YO KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF!!!!!!" (cause i thought that's just what you do at a stones show when he comes past, and well - maybe he throws his guitar at me?). he finished his solo and then looked at me annoyed and said "i saw you". i was pleased.

next up was sympathy (with keith messing up his solo, but huge fireworks and explosions - good cover up), that stupid "start me up" (which actually sounded pretty raw - NOT like the superbowl version!), brown sugar (which got REALLY messed up by keith again, all the others standing together looking like "what the fuck is he doing?" - but it had the original bobby keys on sax, playing just like on the record, and yes, when it comes to THIS song - I LIKE SAXAPHONES. they finished with "you can't always get..." & satisfaction. big fireworks again.

i just realized it took me almost an hour to write this - so go ahead and see them, schooley or whoever else. make sure you get a good ticket & cheap (right before the show you're maybe gonna get one for $50, or do it like me and use ebay in a smart way). and keep your expectations down, if you think it's gonna be like that altamont video you'll be bummed. it's gonna be nothing if you're somewhere in the back and sober and paid big bucks for that shit, but it's gonna be lots of fun if you're up front and shitfaced. and as i said: here, the audience was VERY lame - i dunno about that in nola, but try to take some stupid friends along and it should be fun. it's the STONES man! peace out
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 3:40 pm

Great story! Wish I woulda been there drunk and stoned. Sounds perfect.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:26 pm

They played here in Holland last monday and it wasn't even sold out! Reading this story I think I may have missed a good gig.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:31 pm

Yeah, they have some good songs I hear.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:56 pm

It's definitely worth seeing once, especially if you're a huge fan. I saw them at the Aragon in chicago 2001 and it was fucking great. So many songs from Let it Bleed, Exile & Beggars Banquet so it was worth it. They even did a few odd ones from Aftermath like "Stupid Girl" which was really great, too. Saw Bo a few times and although his shitty raps were horrible, he played a benefit for Chicago's homeless with Chuck Berry and felt he had to cut the crap to keep up with Chuck, who was full of energy and acted half Bo's age. Bo needs to take the same stuff Andre Williams & Nathaniel Mayer are on. Dush powder or whatever it may be.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:56 pm

Aftermath sucks
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:57 pm

And just for the fact that the Rolling Stones refused to give George Bush their hotel rooms in Austria a few months ago is reason enough!
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:57 pm

Aftermath is the best!
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:22 pm

Seen the Stones 3 times (my first ROCK concert was the Stones. 1978...I wasn't even 12 years old yet. My cousin broke up with his girlfriend and wouldn't let her have the ticket after that so he let me go.). The shows I saw after that (81 and whatever year the Steel Wheels tour was...weren't as good...but it's still the Stones and if someone gave me a ticket I'd go see 'em again.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:53 pm

Hey Schooley...

they still got it. If you can afford the dough...do it.
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 1:37 am

Yeah! I agree with the pro-stones stance. I saw the show last summer. I went in with really low expectations, and they absolutely ROCKED! We were lucky to get great "fan club only" seats thanks to my wife's friend at work. Being there, the whole light show, the sheer volume on not just the sound from the stage, but the fans all around you was unbelievable. One of the most "communal" rock show feelings I've ever experienced... And I really don't like big concerts at all. Saw AC/DC and was horribly disappointed just cuz they were so far away.. The stones have the $$ to put on a HUGE show. Just go back and read fwballs story again. I am all excited remembering it! They were totaly raw, rockin' and alive. It was bikers on one side of us, and a Mom with her teenage son on the other, everyone stood on their seats and boogied. Cool time.
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 4:54 am

go.
you owe it to yourself
they haven't made a decent record in decades, but they play their greatest hits. you will know every song.
keith is amazing as is charlie.
jackpenetrater
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 12:47 pm

Schooley-its a shame you didn't see both acts , when they were young & vital.Offering an opinion on seeing an act, well beyond its prime is tuff.With the Stones in paticuler , the SONGS!!-will be great, the crowd will be pumped & the band will work hard to give it all they got. Depending on your expectations , that may or may not be enough./////// Dont know just how much of a Stones fan you are, but, that TICKET $$-would go a long way to buying a few of their remastered CD's-or reissued vinyl for that matter-THAT might actually be a better use of your time & doe.
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 1:36 pm

They've played here several times in recent years, and I've never gone. In the late 80's or early 90's (??) they played at the Shoe (OSU stadium) which was about 2 miles from my house, and I sat outside and listened to it- I could hear it perfectly. I don't think it's worth the money. Rent 'Gimme Shelter' and see them in their prime, without having to deal with all the idiots in the crowd.

Maybe I'm biased against it because I've never seen them live. I guess if I could afford it I might go.
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 3:44 pm

Maybe I'm biased against it because I've never seen them live. I guess if I could afford it I might go.

yeah, that's what i meant - i couldn't imagine it could be so good until i saw it. but when you see it from one of the first rows, there's not really a thing they don't have compared to their 'prime': in fact, charlie IS exactly what he was back then, minus heroin maybe, mick even sings better now than what i heard from lets say the mid-seventies, and he puts on the same show. they're a little older and you won't see keith knocking someone over the head with his guitar because direct contact with the audience is over, but that's it. honestly, i can even do without mick taylor because ron wood is just more of a stone anyway (lookwise AND he is still a fucking alcoholic after all!) - and he can play too.
there are ways to see them cheaper, i mentioned some of them - while you're there, it's priceless anyway. and if i think of some nights i went & saw the black lips or whoever, with a long drive and the over-the-top drinking idiocy, that's almost $100 too.
i didn't go to all the recent stones shows because i thought exactly the way you do - expensive, boring...3 years ago, they even played a show in a CIRCUS in munich, in front of 2000 people, played the WHOLE exile record, as a warm-up to their tour. i didn't go because i thought there's no way i'd get a ticket...in fact, they sold lots of tickets right before the show and everyone who tried got in. if you're not able to make a stones show the greatest fun you might as well be one of those people who go to a punk show and stand in the back, arms crossed, waiting for the funny shit to happen, instead of getting drunk & going right to the front, making an idiot out of yourself just like the band and just making SURE it's fun. of course, it has always a lot to do with your own luck & your own mood, but the great bands always give you the possibility to go nuts and the stones are definitely (still) one of them.
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 4:35 pm

there's not really a thing they don't have compared to their 'prime'

For me, I'd have to say there's one big thing they don't have compared to then: sex appeal! Although some of the girls on this board would argue against me on that point. Haha.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 6:47 pm

I went ahead and sprang for two tickets when they went on sale last Sat. $95 a piece. They have NEVER played in Austin before and its in the same park as the shitty ACL fest so it's general admission.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 7:29 pm

carney - it may be GA, but i think they are still doing that little stage down a runway in the center of the field. that's where they do their blues set. if you see that set up - you only need to get near that little stage.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 8:06 pm

played in Austin before

Schooley failed to mention this above, I think....maybe/maybe not -- I didn't know it was in Austin...I still won't pay that amount, but couldn't believe it when I done seen it in the Chronicle. Man. I just assumed it was in SaTan Tonio.

Imma gonna sit acoross the creek and see if I can there...ewww...hey Carney....think I could hear it from the Lamar Ped Bridge? Now that would NICE!
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 11:12 pm | Edited by: carney

Yeah its too much $, but what the hell. Thanks for the tip TK, that's where I'll set up shop. Plus I'll still be able to get to the beer lines fast from there. Yeah Sherry, it's their first and probably only Austin appearance. Smart money puts them at the Continental Club after the show. When the Stones played in Houston last year, Ian Mclagan played the Houston CC and Ron Wood came by to play with his old bandmate.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 11:32 pm

carney - what's your real email?
or hit me: theresa@punkturns30.com
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:57 am

stones are worth it. saw them a couple of times. orange bowl and the liberty bowl. great both times. here's one from the liberty bowl

http://static.flickr.com/87/215675887_e85b368a6d_o.jpg
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 12:59 am

Posted: Aug 22, 2006 9:24 am

keef is set to be in the next "pirates f the carabean"

wouldn't it be nice if keef wins a teen choice award???
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 3:00 pm

anybody else hate the rolling stones?
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 3:30 pm

First concert I ever saw was the Rolling Stones with my mom twelve years ago (I'm 24 now). Spin Doctors opened. First time I ever knew what pot smelled like. It was loud as fuck and they had a huge stage with all of these video screens with 3D graphics incorporating the Tattoo You logo, but the set list was awful and they streamlinedafied tunes like "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar" to the max. Not terrible, but pretty much like any bar rock band in the world playing those songs, except in a huge stadium with a stage worth $20 million.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 4:02 pm

I forked over for a ticket. I've got a group of friends going so we can all convince ourselves that it was great, no matter how bad it was, since we spent so damn much.

Carney, I'll see you by the little "blues set" stage. Thanks for the tip, Theresa, but one question - if you've seen 'em on this tour, which side does Keef set up on?
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 5:22 pm

Well? You guys think I can hear it from the Lamar Ped Bridge?
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Well? You guys think I can hear it from the Lamar Ped Bridge

Depends on which way the stage faces. Probably.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 5:42 pm

Well, can you bring your walkie talkie?
Or send up some smoke signals?

Thanks....I think I'm just gonna give it a shot.
Posted: Aug 23, 2006 10:46 pm

which side does Keef set up on?

keith is on the right side of the stage (if you're looking at the stage)
if you're on the stage, its the left side.

i never ever got this "stage left" and "stage right" stuff right
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 9:26 pm

Leaving to go downtown to get on the shuttle to the concert. I've got my fingers crossed...
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 10:48 pm

it'll be great.
its a greatest hits show
ian mclagan is opening in austin... so you're in for a treat.
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 11:46 pm

They're really just holograms folks. For reals yo...
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 3:00 am

I can hear the Stones pretty well from my backyard.....not too shabby....
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 2:22 pm

It was quite a spectacle. A nine-story stage that shot out fireworks and $7 beers. There was no parking at the event so 40,000+ had to get on shuttle busses.

Ian Mclagan was great, but we're spoiled he lives here and plays a free happy hour show most every Thurs. Los Lonely Boys were simply awful.
The Stones played a very intersting set. Crazy covers: Keith sang Buddy Holly's "the Game" and they did Waylon's "Bob Wills is Still the King"!!??%!. Kinda a short set, but I'm glad I got to witness the spectacle.

Schooley?
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:11 pm

So, I saw the Stones last night.

It was pretty ridiculous. They announced at the begining that it was being filmed for a DVD. I was told that I was glimpsed briefly on the jumbo-tron, so you'll have that to look forward to...

I think the DVD filming kinda screwed us a bit on the set list, as it was mostly a "greatest hits-y" set, but admittedly with a few WTF moments (like the Waylon cover - who knew Ron Wood played pedal steel? And, well, should he?) No "blues set", though.

One of my friends had seen them on this tour already and thought something was up from the huge-ness of the stage. It kinda looked like the jumbotron was flanked by two of the NYC Guggenheim. There was also a giant inflatable tounge, but that came later.

Things worked out for me pretty well, in that I avoided Los Lonely Boys entirely (yay!), and arrived right when they were finishing. Despite my late arrival I managed to weasel my way all the way up to the front, probably just five rows of tightly packed humanity between me and the stage. It was an amazingly beautiful night, actually got kind of chilly, so it wasn't that unpleasant being packed in with the huddled masses. If it had been in the 90's and hot n' humid (not uncommon for Austin in October) it would've been insufferable. I couldn't believe all the idiots who brought blankets and had them all laid out, protecting their "turf" which of course just got trampled all over by everybody else. Thank GOD they didn't allow lawn chairs in there, it was bad enough traisping through all the makeshift campsites. Who brings a fully-loaded backpack to a rock concert?

It was seven dollars for a budwieser.

Anyway, the set was overall pretty good. It was my first time seeing them, so I don't have anything to compare it to. They seemed to start kinda slow and build momentum as it went along. Didn't really start to cook until they did "Ain't To Proud to Beg". I always viewed Mick as a vaugely ridiculous figure, but I gotta hand it to the man, he works his ass off. I really got the impression he was trying to give all 40-whatever-thousand people in the crowd their money's worth. He ran all over the goddam place doing his Mick-isms and I came away with grudging respect for his aging rockstar ass. Ron and Keef just kinda stand there. Keith Richards looks like if Yoda was a homeless guy.

Watching Charlie play drums was another highlight. He was all business and didn't even seem to notice when his drum kit was suddenly floating out through the middle of the crowd. Just keeping the beat. Bad ass.

There were 'splosions o'plenty, and during "Sympathy" some dramatically-timed flames shot offa the top of the stage ("Pleased to meet you..." WHOOOOSH!) that, even though they seemed pretty far away, were hot as shit.

Afterwards I went to see Ian Mclagan, since there were rumours that Ron was gonna show up and there would be a partial Faces reunion. Ron never did show, but Ian played a great set. He plays all the time in Austin, but I hadn't seen him for a few months. It's too easy to take for granted the fact that you can see the dude from the Small Faces all the freakin' time in this town! Anyway, I guess having played earlier in front of the stadium crowd pumped Mac up 'cuz he really brought it. Just the contrast between the seeing a "normal" rock n' roll set and the giant-stage-pyrotechnic-inflatable-stoopid stadium show made the whole thing seem pretty surreal, I gotta say.

I didn't go to work today.
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:23 pm

I still say they're holograms....
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:32 pm

Nope, these are the Holograms.
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:36 pm

Posted: Oct 24, 2006 5:02 pm

Posted: Oct 24, 2006 5:21 pm

Check out the photos and you get an idea of how completely over-the-top the whole deal was. The stage was pretty surreal.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®