Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / need to repair a cassette tape!
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 4:21 pm

Hey Goners. I was just given a 30 year old cassette tape that has old live recordings of one of my all-time favorites. I played it a little bit and it sounds killer. When I went to rewind it, the tape came off the reel. I'm hoping it can be reattached, but I basically know zilch about this might be done.

Anyone have any advice on how to fix it, or who might be able to do the job? Thanks!
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 4:26 pm

Radio Shack used to have replacement shell kits that had all the guts etc. You might try them online ,the stores are pretty much useless these days.
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 4:27 pm

Used to do that all the time. Get some other cassette (the kind held together with screws), open it, and remove all the tape, leaving the internal pieces exactly as they are. Also, prior to removing tape, take special note of how tape is threaded, and make sure to follow that pattern when replacing w/old tape. If the old cassette is sealed, you can CAREFULLY use a pocket knife to cut it, and pry apart the halves. Place old tape in new casing. Transfer old tape to CD asap.
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 4:37 pm

Is that you Klarner?? If you can't figure it out or find someone who can before you come to GB next, bring it and I probably can do it...I can transfer it to CD too.
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 4:57 pm

Is that you Klarner??

Nope --- Lore, not Klarner.

Mr. Stands, you say I should "take special note of how the tape is threaded." Not sure I understand what you mean here? (I'm totally ignorant about this stuff, so sorry if this should be obvious to most.)

It looks like I will need to use the pocket knife method to open the cassette, as it doesn't have screws. The old tape, does it need to fasten to the new reels with some kind of adhesive, or...? (maybe this will be clear once I start the process?)

Thanks, Goners!
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 5:17 pm

Normally the tape is held in between the reel (hub) and a section of that reel that you can take out sideways. Remove that section, put the tape in the empty space and put the removed section back in the reel so the tape is clasped between those two parts. Now put the reels in the new case as told before and digitalize the motherfucker!
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 5:22 pm

Or if you wanna have it done professionally:

http://www.sonymediaservices.com/AudioTapeRepairRecovery.htm
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 5:24 pm

And you can also read the owner's manual of the Radio Shack Repair Kit, that'll explain a lot.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/49453.htm
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 9:06 pm

I went into Best Buy to buy a new cassette deck car stereo today and the look on the guy's face when I told him what I wanted couldn't have been more surprised if I'd whipped it out and started jerking off in front of him.

-Ryan
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 12:08 am

Many years back when I was in Amsterdam I had the bright idea to line the inside of a cassette with several grams of hash and mail it home. So I got real high and used my pocket knife to take apart my 'Europe Mix '93' tape and stick the hash in there then carefully put it together - it can be frustrating getting the tape threaded correctly and getting the thing to fit back together right.

It took several weeks to arrive and when it did the package had obviously been tampered with. I opened the envelope and there was a note in it from US customs saying all contraband had been confiscated. Crazy thing was that the cassette was still there and in perfect condition - they actually unscrewed the tape, removed all the hash, and then carefully put the cassette back together. I still have it in a box somewhere and it still plays.

Thinking back on that makes me want to smoke some hash - who's holdin? I'm trying to quit cigarettes - I'm on day two. It's rough.
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Got the old tape fixed up yesterday --- thanks!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®