Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Rockabilly = DOUCHEBAG
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 2:32 am

A rant by Schooley:

Today. I'm wearing my Goner t-shirt. "Goner - what's that?" He asks.

"It's a record label" I say.

"Oh, is it, like, rockabilly?"

ARGH. I don't know why this enraged me so much, but it did. "It's fucking PUNK ROCK!" I told 'im.

I love Sonny Burgess and Charlie Feathers, but any contemporary rockabilly is always an embarrassment. Dammit, I know I'm a chunky white dude with sideburns and yes, I do wear pearl-snap shirts on occasion, but goddammit I am not a rockabilly douchebag. Hey, I grew up in a small town on a farm for chrissakes, and I come by my white-trashy-ness naturally. But I detest these poseur rockabilly Fonzie-fied Social D.-lovin' assholes. And being mistaken for one of them really burns me.

I have never owned a Rev. Horton Heat cd. I don't even have any fucking tattoos. I own no creepers. No shiny shirts with flames/Betty Page/dice/eightball shifters on them. I was wearing old jeans, chuck taylors, and a Goner shirt. It's sad commentary on how far away "rockabilly" has gotten from it's roots that even being referred to as "rockabilly" is an insult. At least to me it is. And to most of the people I know. People who like the (real) music but would never listen to any rehash crap.

It would piss me off when my old band would get that, too. Hey, I can name you all the bands the Hard Feelings were trying to rip off, from the Real Kids to Rose Tattoo to whatever, but I defy anybody to find a song on a Hard Feelings album that sounds at all "rockabilly." Me and Trey had sideburns, I guess that's all people see.

And like I said, I love real rockabilly. Gimme some Feathers, Burgess, Vincent, Wanda Jackson, any of that shit.

Okay, whew, deep breath, off soap box now.

P.S. If I tie-dyed my Goner shirt, would that just confuse the fuck out of everyone?
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 2:41 am

Yeh but does yer girlfriend look like Betty Page?
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 2:51 am

I love real rockabilly
I just bet you like Sheryl Crow..!
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 3:38 am

That's another question I've pondered: why are the rockabilly chicks always chunk-style?
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 3:57 am

The only thing worse than modern rockabilly is:

PSYCHOBILLY!!!!

Yeah, sometimes it sucks to have sideburns. At least since I've become bald, I don't get called Elvis anymore.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 4:05 am

Fuck sideburns. Grow a beard, boys...
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 4:13 am

Fuck sideburns. Grow a beard, boys...

Shet up, Rocky Burnette!!! Yer pappy would say "fer shame!"
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 4:25 am

The chef where I work is always calling me a rockabilly.

"So, when are you gonna bring me one of your band's rockabilly CDs?"

So, the other day I brought in a Hasil Adkins CD and told him it was my band.

And, yes, I do have sideburns, chops, whatever, but they are not stylized. Sometimes people think I'm a skinhead, too. Dunno what's worse.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 4:39 am

Dunno what's worse.

people thinking you're a mod
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 4:58 am

I almost feel the same way about being assumed as a "PUNK". We're all UNIQUE out here in California... Everybody's so different.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 6:40 am

i went sideburnless for years and only just now remembered, after reading this, why I shaved them off in the first place. fucking college faggots calling me "elvis", saying "nice chops bro", ad infinitum. rockabilly has fucking RUINED sideburns for an entire generation of people who are too lazy to shave above their earlobes. I hate that shit. I re-had sideburns for like the last 6 months or so but now I'm thinking maybe I should abort them again. fuckin assholes. it's not like I'm holding a hollowbody guitar or some shit.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 6:42 am

Furthermore, I have no idea why previous post was under the name "Lactavist Katowitz"

By my best estimate, I was wasted last night and created this username with hilarious intentions, then failed to capitalize on it. I'm going to ban myself now.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 7:00 am

okay, because I already know people are going to attack me over the hollowbody comment, I really meant to say stand-up bass instead of hollowbody.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 7:34 am

saw a great japanese rockabilly band called "magic". they were unbelieveable.

Yuichi and the Hilltone Boys fucking ruled at the 2nd 50's Fest too. It was funny, 'cause even the DJ's got bored w/ rockabilly and started playing Sonics records and stuff around 3 AM to keep the dance party goin' once all the flamin' dice-heads split.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 10:07 am

Rockabilly, was cool circa- 1957-1964. fuck that shit!
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 11:15 am

If "yes", what's her cell phone number? Just curious...
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 12:05 pm

I totally hear ya ,Schooley. And I would like to add that although the Gretsch 6120 is the most beautiful guitar in the world , that fuckin Brian Setzer motherfucka is the cheesiest puke ever. Horton Heat is a boring souless fuckwad too. The only thing worse than those neo rockabilly twerps were those "Swing" assholes back in the late 90's. Thank god that shit didn't go over.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 12:55 pm

I like the first 2 Rev Horton Heat records- at least he could write/sing, and he had a sense of humour!
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 1:38 pm

[i]Fuck sideburns. Grow a beard, boys...[/i

Not in the summer in Texas. I grow my annual beard every year, starting in Nov. I usually grow tired of it sometime in Jan.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 3:11 pm

Fuckin' Salonabilly robots!!

They all pretend to be mechanics too!!

Atlanta is infested with them!
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 5:28 pm

It just goes to show how isolated and incestuous that neo-rockabilly crowd tends to be. It's all about self-aware bullshit style.

If he didn't pick up on Goner then he probably has no idea who the Oblivians are. Anyone who'd rather listen to a watered-down version of the music of the "scene" they're in than hunt down some real rock 'n' roll is truly to be pitied.

Opinion may be negated by the fact I really liked that first Tiger Army album.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 5:47 pm | Edited by: jay reatard

POT: hey kettle..........yer black
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 6:00 pm

that fuckin Brian Setzer motherfucka is the cheesiest puke ever.

Wow!
Ever?
Setzer is a smokin' guitar player.....but he tunes his guitar before he plays so I guess I can see your point......
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 6:00 pm

how did it go from charlie feathers to this????

http://cgi.ebay.com/Evil-Devil-Breakfast-at-the-Psychohouse-CD-Psychob ill_W0QQitemZ4854057299QQihZ003QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

this is the funniest cover to an album ever! sorry, i couldnt come up with a better image...
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 6:34 pm

Posted: Jul 29, 2006 6:40 pm

Yeah, Setzer is a good technician but he's BORING and comes off totally canned corn pre fab fake. He is fashionable but not styley.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Setzer wasn't the inspiration for the Beat cowboys ,was he ? Say it ain't so!
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 7:57 pm

I used to work the door/security at this club in fort worth...we would have rockabilly shows and these dudes were the biggest poseurs ever. You see, in texas, the "cool" rockabilly beer is Lone Star, they all carry those damn things around the neck in the bar...but, when we would run out of longnecks, we would offer them lone star on tap, but none of them jokers would by it on tap, well, you didnt have the cool cheap beer bottle in your hand i suppose...but it was all good then they switched to bud bottles, which cost more...

One time it was really funny, they were hanging outside between bands and a couple of them started a fight with some dudes across the street at the salsa bar....it was funny to see a bunch of them get their asses kicked by some latino salsa fans.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 8:08 pm

there's plenty of good modern rockabilly, even phychobilly. and no, i don't give a shit if it's "real" rockabilly or not. i could name some...but anyway.

ottawa isn't overrun by rockbilly dudes, and they aren't too obnoxious. and frankly they're a welcome relief from the thousands of emo/scremo/indie/vegan/scenesters or whatever they are

about the side burns...sometimes people say i look like john lennon. since i have sideburns and glasses. i don't look anything like that hippie.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 8:10 pm

i've gotten called rockabilly multiple times for my haircut or because i like vintage dresses.....so it doesn't just happen with guys
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 8:16 pm

Setzer is a smokin' guitar player.....

Psychobilly IS even more embarrassing. I generally put 'em in the same camp. Some of the rockabilly guitar players can be interesting, in a guitar-nerd way, since they've usually taken a lot of time to perfectly hone their period-specific licks. Sometimes the technique can be fun to watch, even if the music they produce with that technique is totally banal and worthless.

That said, Setzer is a wanker. All flash, no soul or substance to his playing.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 9:04 pm

Setzer wasn't the inspiration for the Beat cowboys ,was he ? Say it ain't so!

We weren't really a "rockabilly" band we just played a lot of it....more Popabilly if anything.....but Paul Burlison called us rockabillies which was good enough for me.

I just know that live, Setzer really takes off.
It's a matter of how your taste runs.....which is why Baskin Robbins makes all them flavors.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 1:49 am

ottawa isn't overrun by rockbilly dudes, and they aren't too obnoxious. and frankly they're a welcome relief from the thousands of emo/scremo/indie/vegan/scenesters or whatever they are

It's funny because at the King Khan & The Shrines show at Babylon I saw a super-rockabilly-type guy and a backpack-vegan-punk guy both crypt-silent and statue-still at the front of the stage. Equal contempt.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 10:19 am

A rant by Schooley:

Today. I'm wearing my Goner t-shirt. "Goner - what's that?" He asks.

"It's a record label" I say.

"Oh, is it, like, rockabilly?"

i guess you move i the wrong circles, bumpkin.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 2:50 pm

Tampa Bay used to be so infested with these goons that there was a bar that had a "rockabilly night". The same twenty greaseballs and their fat vintage dress wearing girlfriends would show up, stand their like statues, and then go home. Real wild crowd.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 2:53 pm

ps- Setzer's guitar playing is good, but it's like watching Clapton play the blooze. Yeah, the technique is pretty much perfect, no wrong notes...but it's lame and has no soul.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 8:48 pm | Edited by: krakhaus

there's plenty of good modern rockabilly, even phychobilly. and no, i don't give a shit if it's "real" rockabilly or not. i could name some...but anyway.

Name one. I'm not calling you out, I just want to see what I'm missing. Big Sandy isn't bad, but he might actually be too diverse to be "rockabilly".

What are all the 'billies with their obvious and cliched tattoos going to do if/when they want to move on to the next thing? In Dallas most of 'em seem to be Secret Skinheads. Scary!
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 9:32 pm

In Dallas most of 'em seem to be Secret Skinheads. Scary!

there are a few of those types here in memphis too, oddly enough.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 10:20 pm | Edited by: ottawarockerdude

Name one.

bloodshot bill
http://www.myspace.com/bloodshotbill
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 10:38 pm

Their costumes are so cute. I think they like milkshakes (not the band).
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 11:00 pm

Most of the skinheads I know "grew up" and became rockabillys. It seems like a fairly logical transition, really. We got a rockabilly night at a bar in Green Bay now. I was at the bar a few days ago for their "rock 'n roll" night and the DJ was playing Reigning Sound, and I recognized the DJ, but only from the bar scene. Never seen him at a show. I wanted to ask him why he sits in bars listening to himself spin the records when he could be out watching the bands play live, but, I figured I'd be depressed with whatever response I got.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 11:06 pm

That's a fairly ignorant transition, but common here too.
One minute I'm white power. The next I'm greasy black R&B, 50s style. Yeah, makes perfect sense.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 11:09 pm

Well, not all of these skinheads were neo-nazi. However, many of them were. Anyway, the whole rockabilly thing is very white. It's basically a celebration of honkeydom. So, the transition is not suprising at all to me.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 11:25 pm

Yeah, I was just referring to new Mike-Ness-styled rockabillys as ignorant of what real rockabilly actually is. That's all.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 11:33 pm

That's a fairly ignorant transition, but common here too.

This is totally the case in Tampa Bay, FL, too. I dunno what is is about rockabilly. I guess they figure they already have a bunch of tats. I knew some Betty Page wanna-be who I guess had been arrested for attacking a black chick a year prior when she was a skinhead. And was charged with some sorta hate crime. Classy, ladies! Also, let's totally overlook the fact that 50's r'n'r pretty much came from black culture and you got yrself some real rocket scientists in da house...
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 12:31 am

I just don't like how all the neo-rockabilly bands are very limited in the scope of what they do - "rockabilly" in their hands gets so narrowed down, the clothes/gear/recording has to be "period" but it's like a civil war re-enactment or something. Like nothing happened in music, fashion, or culture since 1958. "Punks" with liberty spikes seem the same kind of ridiculous to me. Tav Falco or Jeff Evans, to give two Memphis-specific examples, know their shit and history and play music that is obviously rockabilly-inflected, but it doesn't come across as corny or canned.

My usual stock response when somebody says I look rockabilly is to insist that I look like a young Paul Newman in "Hud" - just like Joe Buck was going for. Then I break into "Everybody's Talkin'". Fred Neil version, natch.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 12:37 am

Do you have the same problem in Europe? I guess not, so I'd really appreciate it if you'd play some shows here again. Preferably with the Guilty Hearts, Yeahs!
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 12:40 am

Tav Falco or Jeff Evans, to give two Memphis-specific examples
...and Ross Johnson...

speaking of which...
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 1:50 am

That was genius.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 2:09 am

My next goal for not sucking on guitar is to learn to Travis pick...

You seen this one?

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 2:10 am

the greatest rockabilly bands of all time:
1.Social D.
2.the Misfits
3. the REV.
4. Johnny Cash (man that video he did with marlyin manson was fuckin cool)
5. Hank III--he fuckin' rules, dude.
6. those dudes that did that song "wipe out"
it's so hilarious how rockabilly dudes re-act to Tav Falco. they are really confused, then they hate him. I guess it's cause he doesn't sound like "Social D., dude." the rockabilly dudes in New Orleans were hilarious. they hated Hasil Adkins cause "whats so great about some old dude that can't play his guitar right" HAHaHAhA....
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 2:22 am

OH fuck I forgot about the Cramps..."bikini girls from the black leather lagoon with machine guns" was the greatest trad rockabilly album of ALL TIMES!!!
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 8:36 am | Edited by: Mark Beef

Name one. I'm not calling you out, I just want to see what I'm missing.

Al Foul and the Shakes

http://www.alfoul.net/

and Bloodshot Bill is great....I wish he'd sing in his normal voice more...total Roger Miller sound
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 2:40 pm

i like Beat Man and all that shit he does (transcends the genre as trickknee might say)
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 3:20 pm

For awhile wasn't there alot of overlap between Rock-a-doodles and retro-Swing dancing guys? Like guys who would listen to Elvis and Frank Sinatra and think they were gonna fuck every girl in the city because of it. Yeah baby! If a certain kind of impressionable person sees "Swingers" and then hears a Stray Cats album...only bad things can happen.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 3:37 pm

I'd agree with the whole problem of limited scope in rockabilly. A while ago I filled in on drums for a friend who couldn't make the first rehearsal of a band that was starting out. The singer had all the Elvis and route 66 tattoos, and came out with a great line about not wanting to 'paint the band into a corner'; he wanted to play rockabilly AND psychobilly! Woo!
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 3:48 pm

i like Beat Man and all that shit he does (transcends the genre

Yeah, I didn't want to pimp my own "label exec" here but I dig Beat-Man, too. His newest album was with some swiss techno dudes, he sounded like he always does but backed by Kraftwerk-style jams. I thought it was Hi-fucking-larious but he has lots of fans in the psychobilly world who probably didn't! If you've seen that documentary on Voodoo Rhythm he has a great quote about how rockabilly was originally an "explosion" of black r&b and white country music combining, but is now just a "fart". I think me and Beat-Man are on the same page.

How about THIS:

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 4:47 pm

Name One

Whatever happended to Ray Condo & The Ricochets? Aside from being a really cool bunch of guys, they had a DYNOMITE rockabilly/western/swing group.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 4:57 pm

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 5:24 pm

the 1st time I'd ever heard the term "psychobilly" was when some guy at some merch table was trying to sell me his band's other records -- goes without saying I didn't know what the hell he was talking about so I asked, who would he term as 'psychobilly" and he says "the Cramps" so I went "okay" and bought a 45 or 2. Yada, yada, yada, I sold 'em on ebay to someone in Australia for more than I bought them for so i got my money back, plus I got them about as far away as I possibly could.

If you could take a time machine back about a year or two, I'd say go this bar in town -29 Steps - if you wanna see the epitome of the worst of what this thread's about. I say "A year or two" because it's mostly a goth bar now. It's like spinning through a vortex, living here.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm

That's the bar that has the rockabilly night, Mike. When I was there the other night with Lee Olson, it was mostly white trash and the occasional nu-metal fan - and Reigning Sound on the system.

I might be a minority, but I've never really cared for that bar.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm

<i>Whatever happended to Ray Condo & The Ricochets?</i>

Ray Condo died of a heart attack a couple of years ago
(he had a band in the 80's called the Hardluck Goners)
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 6:01 pm

Ray Condo died? There was a great version of "Hadicillin Boogie" on one of the Richochets records, always dug their take on that tune...
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 6:09 pm

the whole rockabilly thing is very white. It's basically a celebration of honkeydom.

In Los Angeles about half the crowds at rockabilly shows are Mexican... well atleast they're swarthy complexioned with black hair. I guess they could be arabs... shit, could it be an Al Queda front?
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 6:13 pm

the greatest rockabilly bands of all time:
1.Social D.
2.the Misfits
3. the REV.
4. Johnny Cash (man that video he did with marlyin manson was fuckin cool)
5. Hank III--he fuckin' rules, dude.
6. those dudes that did that song "wipe out"

I would add to this list Tiger Army, The Horror Pops and Morrisey-- all great rockabilly!
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 6:17 pm

In Los Angeles about half the crowds at rockabilly shows are Mexican...

I believe the Japanese also like to partake in this particular mode of Cracker worship.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 6:27 pm

I just got a 1946 Plymouth Business Coupe... 2 doors... no engine... no rust. I hauled it away for free. That was the deal!

Ahh wella-a-hella-hella-doo-pa-doo-pa-doo-pa-Baby-baby-baby!
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 6:40 pm

I believe the Japanese also like to partake in this particular mode of Cracker worship

I think all the Floggy Molly fans that sport shamrock tatoos and name thier kids "Ian" and "Sean" are suspect in this department...
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 6:59 pm

Haunted George, check yer myspace! I emailed ye over the weekend...
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 7:06 pm

Ray Condo died? There was a great version of "Hadicillin Boogie" on one of the Richochets records, always dug their take on that tune...

There's a bit of a bio/eulogy here: http://www.raycondo.ca/
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 7:12 pm

Ray Condo died of a heart attack a couple of years ago

:( Shitty, shitty news. The world lost one of it's finest.

(he had a band in the 80's called the Hardluck Goners)

Something I'll be on the hunt for (record/s)?
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 7:19 pm

I saw Ray Condo about 6 months before he died... I guess he wasn't getting the same crowds as he was before. He kept looking into the crowd and saying, "Where is everybody?... This is a Friday night isn't it?" I was one of the only people standing in front watching him. The place was about a 1/4 full.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 7:20 pm

Haunted George, check yer myspace! I emailed ye over the weekend...

Hey Schooley, I just got your message. I don't know what's up with Myspace but it's been acting really flakey lately. I just got it this morning.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 7:21 pm

Schooley, you hate most music so could you please qualify/quantify this hatred of Rockabunky?

Dammit, I know I'm a chunky white dude with sideburns
...just like that kid from 90210...
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 7:43 pm

the 1st time I'd ever heard the term "psychobilly"
was in the cash song about the stolen cadillac
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 7:51 pm

"one piece at a time" - exactly
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 8:51 pm

best i've seen in person is Sonny Burgess, Ronnie Dawson, Ray Sharpe, Flat Duo Jets, and Big Sandy with The Haunted Hearts. Whoo!
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 2:25 pm

Goddamn rockabilly poseur greaseball no talents . They'll never amount to anything. http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/beatles_april_1961.jpg
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 2:35 pm

yeah, Big Sandy is great - i used to see him alot with Russel Scott who had a great voice too -- hell, i guess i dig lots of rockabilly shit - the only stuff i dont get into is psychobilly that sounds like bad metal with a stand-up bass
even rev horton heat from like 88-91 was a great show - but it certainly got old
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 4:22 pm

Man, those are some killer boots george is wearing in that beatles pic!
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:20 pm

theres a really pompous pshychobilly guy i know here, his band isn't that good and he thinks he's edgy because he cuts himself on stage wearing panties. sorry. thats boring. play good music, that would be exciting.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:31 pm

I'm really tired of bitching about rockabillies. We ain't them and I don't ever go anywhere they are, so I could give a shit if some moron wants to mention it to me or ask if that's what I like. Fuck 'em, its the last thing to get worked up about, this far into my life. Schooley, this shouldn't bother you at all anymore. You've been dealing with this for what? 10 years?
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:41 pm

I don't ever go anywhere they are

Joe, you've forced my hand. I'm gonna have to post those pictures now.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:42 pm

Wha? An online discussion that was just pointless bitching? And served no higher purpose 'cept maybe some cheap laughs? Shocked! SHOCKED I AM!
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:44 pm

I would like to borrow one of those classy shirts you got though. I like that stuff.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 7:02 pm

At least i can see a context for being bored/self concious about your current look and wanting to get all Fonzie and be a Goofabilly w/out doing any research on the music. This is by no means an endorsement of their thing, but i can just roll my eyes and keep walking as i chuckle to myself. Just one glance and i got 'em all figured out.It's 3 Dimensional Wallpaper that always entertains.

I just don't see the appeal of all the folks wearing clothes that have the sillhouettes of crows and trees on them,rocking hairstyles that make 'em look like rejects from "Akira". It's weird how that's really sprung up,especailly in the past year or so (this look is usually affiliated w/fans of bands that use that fake-torn up looking cursive font for their logos... you know what i'm talking about right?).

Is that stuff popular? Seems like it but i have no real idea.Seriously,i love not really knowing what's up w/ current Pop Culture but this is a Phenomenon/look that i have absolutely no grasp of. "And i thought i was on top of eveything"... Rudy Ray Moore in "Avenging Disco Godfather"
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 8:25 pm

I can't stand bands like Wolf Eyes, Aids Wolf, stuff like that. And their shitty artwork. I saw Aids Wolf and a friend of mine came up afterwards and "That was pretty amazing!" and I said "I thought that was shit" and he looked really confused. I did the door at a Les Georges Leningrad gig and pretended I didn't know the singer and pretended to not let her in. That was funny, I just sat there going "I'm sorry, you have to pay 5" while she freaked out. I didn't really care as I hated them. The worst ever was Battles - horrible prog funk like an even more horrible Tortoise. I expected them to bring wizards and shit on half way through. Their audience was the most happy-clappy bunch of morons you ever saw. I did the door for that and hated them so much I pocketed a bunch of their door money and spent it the next day on Neat Neat Neat, Problem Child and Don't Cry Wolf at the record shop. Which more than made up for having my ears assaulted by such terrible prog bullshit.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 8:42 pm

What's wrong with wizards?! They cast spells and turn people into bats and stuff.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 8:47 pm

AIDS WOLF???????
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 8:49 pm

The worst ever was Battles - horrible prog funk like an even more horrible Tortoise. I expected them to bring wizards and shit on half way through

Is this considered rockabilly or are you talking about a renascence fair?
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 9:13 pm

"It's fucking PUNK ROCK!"

I went to, I guess, a hardcore[?] show on MOnday and when asking one of 'them' if they were gonna come see the Feelers on Saturday, they replied w/ 'oh yeah, aren't they that garage rock band that played SXSW?? So I had to ask if he knew who the Carbonas were and he called THEM 'garage-rock' too!!

I've been listening to the new Carbonas record and THE FRANTIC!!! records non-stop, so I tried VERY hard to find some logic in this comment -- I don't care if that's what they/anyone thinks, I love GR, I'm just trying to get my mind around that comment.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 9:25 pm

hey estephan, didn't you get asked to play some rockabilly wing ding a while back?
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 9:34 pm

I used to have a picture of Dana on my desk at work with his big sideburns. Ever since then, the male managers have all pretty much referred to him as 'Elvis'. They'll say 'How's Elvis?' instead of asking me how's Dana?It's easier than remembering his name, I guess. Now his hair is long, so I guess that would throw off the 'Elvis' reference. But he's still got sideburns. One guy, my old supervisor, will still imitate Elvis and say "Thankya very much" 'Elvis-style' when I do something for him. He's so square he squeaks, so it's kind of funny.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 9:58 pm

some pics from a small rockabilly festival near my hometown in bloody belgium : http://www.rockabillyday.be/pictures.htm

boy, do these rockabilly dudes & chicks adore the USA!!!
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 10:19 pm

ey estephan, didn't you get asked to play some rockabilly wing ding a while back?

I got asked to play at a hotel durring the "Viva Las Vegas" Weekend. Not the event itself but something kinda riding on it's coattails... I tastefully declined... plus they couldn't come up with the 3 retro-vintage-styled hookers and pillowcase-sized sack of cocaine that I asked for... it's on my rider.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 10:40 am

some pics from a small rockabilly festival near my hometown in bloody belgium : http://www.rockabillyday.be/pictures.htm

Thanks, those pictures remind me of everything I hate about the billy-scene : the dresscodes, the macho-posing, the betty page chicks, ugly tattoos. Some of the people are ok (and come to "garage" gigs as well) but the general atmosphere at psycho/rockabilly events is disgusting. They all look 35+ so maybe it's a dying scene??
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 3:43 pm | Edited by: BigKegShandy

I try and stay clear of any 'scenes' in London, which I guess is why we get a very poor crowd at Sonic Reducer most times - all these 'scenes' are kool to meet people when you're a teen, but personally, now I'm 36, I find it really, really fucking boring to go out and just hear garage or punk or rockabilly or soul or funk or whatever at a night - mixing it up in London don't get you nowheres unless there's a non-'scene' crowd who are just out to have a good time (those people DO exist!) ...

Sadly, there's shitloads of 'new' people into the diff 'scenes' who have got an even more Nazi-ish view of 'what it's all about', despite having been Strokes/Rancid/whatever fans a few months previously! And most of 'em don't wanna hear a soul record at a garage night, sure nuff ...

Some of the older rockabilly guys I run into around London have mellowed/expanded their musical tastes over the years, but thos Hot Topic-style punk-a-billys ain't, and they got no taste whatsoever!

S'funny, at the Le beat Bespoke weekender the other year, I ran into a guy who grew up in the next village as me, and we wuz mods together at around 13 ... Anyway, he turned into a Kappa'n'Burberry wearing, knife-wielding football (i.e. soccer) hooligan at 15, and now he's gone back mod again! So he looks at me (unshaven, jeans, Oblivians T, Gus's ballcap) and sez, sniffily, "So what you into now, then?"

THAT'S the attitude that sucks ass!!!

I told him, "Same as I always was, just more of it, and now my hair goes in the opposite direction!"
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 3:48 pm

a non-'scene' crowd who are just out to have a good time (those people DO exist!) ...

Fortunately this is the crowd that The Thing With Two Heads DJ's to. Some specific types in the house, but most of 'em we've never seen before, are unassuming, and they stay and dance.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 3:58 pm

Yeah, and it's fucking GREAT, isn't it? You can wind 'em up, piss 'em off, make 'em dance, sing, or anything! I've been DJing for 20 years now, and by far the best times I've had were DJing to close friends or complete strangers, everyone else wuz just a pain in the ass, largely! And I say that with no prejudice!

Spinning to peeps who don't know what you're doing is far, far more fun than spinning DMZ at the Dirty Water and having some drunken asshole come up and berate you for not playing the b-side!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:03 pm

I found the Leeds punk-a-billys, being just young kids, are pretty open minded. They just get drunk and dance to whatever I play. Which is King Louie, Oblivians, Kajun SS, KK/BBQ, Black Lips and a ton of punk. Yeah, I dunno if they'd get XTC, Shoes or 20/20 but its a little more roughly in their ballpark and they dig it. They're kids so they like dressing up and showing off but I never talk down to them or try and force anything on them and they're genuinely interested in finding out what's playing. The older ones are bit more 'too cool for school, know what I like, not interested in anything I haven't heard before' but the kids are alright as far as I'm concerned.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:09 pm

Dude, Wolf Eyes fuckin' rules. AIDS Wolf does suck, but the only thing they have even remotely in common is that those AIDS Wolf dudes decided to use the word "wolf" in their name YEARS after Wolf Eyes did.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:17 pm

In my experience, it's different in London than other places - partly why we're moving out! The stuck-up attitude kills me!

Just had a listing in for some club in London on August 12th, which is the same night as a loada other stuff (my Sonic Reducer nite, Jerry Lee Lewis, Knights Of The New Crusade, Eric Ulcer's garage alldayer, etc), and I emailed the bloke back, all friendly, like, to warn him there was lots of other stuff going on, and this was his reply:

"Sonic Reducer looks as though it ought to be ok for the early-to-bed
types who like their bog-standard venues but party animals with a bit
of stamina and a taste for the unusual might want to check out Sleep
All Day...also if Sonic Reducer leaves you hungry for more you could
always come to the big party out for the five remaining hours."

I mean, fuck him, right? Probably a rockabilly!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:18 pm

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, Kev. Sometimes its the fans that annoy me. Plus my friends piss me off as they listen to all this stuff and will go see a band as "they're supposed to be like Wolf Eyes!" and they go see endless processions of arsey yank bands who come through town and to me they all sound the same and they get a ton of people seeing them "theyre supposed to sound like Deerhoof!, are you coming?". yet the Black Lips got 15 people. "Oh is that the garage band you're putting on? Yeah, I'll see if I can make it". So it's mainly my taste against theirs most of the time. We all agree on Devo though which is a relief.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:19 pm

I used to live with a Swedish guy who evidently wasn't sure whether he should be a rockabilly or a skinhead, so he did both. He had the cheesy 'lady luck' tattoos and greaser hair, but he wore cherry reds and tight jeans with braces. I suspect he didn't know Charlie Feathers or Skrewdriver. Nice person, bit shallow.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:24 pm

Did the skin-a-billy eat all yer herring, then?
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:26 pm | Edited by: Shaun A

Mr Shandy, that sounds like a typical jerk-off new club promoter. We have a ton like that in Leeds. Their nights of 'excitement' and 'the best music' invariably involve the DJ trying to interest a mainly static audience in the Killers while said audience wonder whether the Killers are still cool or not. You'll get one Cars tune at the end. Guaranteed! I shared a cab with another promoter when the bus broke down once and he was telling me about how 'great' his night was and how 'popular' the night was. Then he asked me what my night involved. 'punk' I said. Then he said 'great stuff, we play a lot of post-punk ourselves'.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:29 pm

At least i can see a context for being bored/self concious about your current look and wanting to get all Fonzie and be a Goofabilly w/out doing any research on the music. This is by no means an endorsement of their thing, but i can just roll my eyes and keep walking as i chuckle to myself. Just one glance and i got 'em all figured out.It's 3 Dimensional Wallpaper that always entertains.

These guys do it cuz they think it's going to rev up their sex lives. Seriously. With some some total douchebags, I've seen it happen. They at least start getting some attention because people assume they developed a personality. It's a great thing to do if you wanna fuck heavy set girls in Betty Page shirts. Seriously, why are rockabilly chixx always faaaaat?
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:31 pm

Shaun, to be fair, this club the guy/gurl mailed me about has got some good DJs on, namely Barry 7 and Cherrystones, but, yeah, his/her attitude sucks!

Honestly, I just can't believe that stuff like the Killers, and all that stuff is even considered rock'n'roll ... I mean, to me, rubbish like Primal Scream and The Strokes aren't even what I would consider rock'n'roll bands, they're just idiot music (and not the kind of idiot music I like, that's fer sure!) ... There's a shitload of 'retro' clubs in London who claim to play garage/soul/whatever, and see no problem playing crap like The Killers, too ...

Guess that's the price of living in the 21st century ...
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:31 pm

Yeah, we don't really have that problem over here, I know of one person around here that has heard Wolf Eyes, and that's because I made them a CD, and we're within' driving distance from their hometown too. I dunno, I like how they combined Throbbing Gristle and Negative Approach into something of their own. I've never heard another band that sounds like them, as far as I'm concerned they're the best "noise" band ever. Never heard Deefhoof before, but I know some people who like them around here and although they're good people, they generally seem to like alot of crappy bands.

Everyone should probably move to Wisconsin where for years it was the exact opposite of what you're describing with nobody giving a shit about anything I found interesting but everyone going nuts and coming out to see bands like Black Lips. Eventually I gave in and started letting down my defenses a bit to alot of the stuff they were into and I dig on alot of it now, still though, nobody comes out for people who aren't making retro-rock for the most part. Oh well.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:36 pm

Hey, Banned, looking back or looking forward, who cares? As my pal Barry sez, "It either rocks or it doesn't!" And he played with Jesse 'Gorillas' Hector for years, and puts on the nutty Tapestry festivals (two at a Western-themed place in Dorset, the latest at a Medieval theme park in Wales!), so I'd trust his judgement!

Just seems like people in London need to be told that things are 'cool' by the media before they'll take it on board, which is sad ...
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:38 pm

Hey, Banned, looking back or looking forward, who cares?

The people who won't come out to shows that aren't retro-rock, obviously. I've always attended garage/punk shows. Always. I'm just saying, that's not their taste, which is fine, but instead of bitching about how people like Wolf Eyes instead of Black Lips, why not move to Wisconsin where everyone loves Black Lips and nobody knows who Wolf Eyes are?
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:39 pm

The rockabilly/surf scene is the only "alternative" scene left here. Tens of bands sounding exactly the same, hundreds of girls looking like each other and holding their boyfriends' jackets while they're doing their fistfightpogodancin' to the newest surftunes. Weird thing is they all wear Turbojugendjackets and a lot have Peter Pan Speedrock and Nashville Pussy tattoos, someone must've told them billy's and surfchicks should be into those bands.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:40 pm | Edited by: BigKegShandy

Hmm, well, I do like cheese an awful lot ... Tempting ...
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:42 pm

Cheesewolf
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:47 pm

Dude, Wolf Eyes fuckin' rules. AIDS Wolf does suck, but the only thing they have even remotely in common is that those AIDS Wolf dudes decided to use the word "wolf" in their name YEARS after Wolf Eyes did.

Ahem, Guitar Wolf.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:47 pm

AIDS Spray Cheesewolf!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:49 pm

The reason I didn't come to SR last time was because you didn't play that DMZ b-side.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:49 pm

Eyes Spray AIDS Cheesewolf!

Ohhh, now this is getting silly ... Sorry ...
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:51 pm

Guy, I know you want to DJ at Sonic Reducer, but there's only two left, and I've already got guests ... You'll just have to start up your own club nite when me and Nadia have left London, or come down and DJ at the Milk St Brewery in Frome, where the DJs get paid in beer brewed on the premises, and 60-year-old blokes come up and request Standells records, and teenagers laugh at Please Don't Go Topless Mother ... DJs get FOUR GALLONS (not pints) of free beer, EACH!!!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:53 pm

Shaun,
Living in pretty much an overgrown farm town (you've been here-you know what I'm talking about) with a lot of small towners who think they're big town so-phis-to-cat's who's taste I pretty much know-whenever I bring a band through here and they ask what the band sounds like I give them some ambigous yet overblown description tailored to what they wanna here...It actually works most of the time too.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:54 pm

Note: there are eight pints in a gallon - that's 32 PINTS of free beer per DJ!

Beat that, Buccaneer crew!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:03 pm

Its probably why I like being in Wisconsin. Its interesting hearing it from the other side of the argument, I totally sympathise with you. But here we do get, I guess its lazy promoters, putting Wolf Eyes on every single flyer at the moment. Its probably just a way of getting people to go to their shows. A lot of the bands I've seen really don't cut it for me. I like simple riffage and dumb songs and am pretty worn out on challenging music, that being the prominent music in Leeds for the past ten years I've lived here. We could probably swap! I can see Finnish power electronics bands, a band comprising of two laptops and three drummers, an improv metal band with six albums out, a Bulgarian version of Lightning Bolt, a ton of Le Savy Fav-a-likes and probably a guy who plays an acoustic guitar full of magnets through an echo pedal while amplifying the sound of him eating while films of concentration camps play in the background maybe three or four times a week. Living in a neighbourhood where The Wire outsells NME and every empty shop has 'found art' exhibitions and an improv prog act playing made my music taste become really basic. I just wore out on it. I guess it must be even worse if you like this stuff and all the local bands are 1!2!3!4!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:05 pm

I should start doing that on flyers, it shoulda been obvious but I didnt think of doing that. I'll try that!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:07 pm

Yimminy! Poor Shaun, attack of the art rock cretins!

S'true, the rubbish you're subjected to does have an effect on what you really dig, I play little apart from Memphis stuff, Dutch biet, and novelty records, cos every rubbishy band I see are either art rock fags in Members Only jackets or Pete Doherty acolytes ... having said that, it's The Horros who REALLY took the biscuit - utter, utter shite ...
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:10 pm

I'm starting to feel sorry for everybody but me.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:11 pm | Edited by: dale

Yeah...for example when the Mighty Go Go Players played here I was going around saying they were "Haunted brooding susceptible to violent outbreaks...FROM FRANCE"
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:19 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like alot of the stuff people around here like now... but mostly I like the fringe stuff that I hear people refer to as "that Terminal Boredom stuff" and that seems to be more of a compromise. For years I went to shows with garage bands I didn't like just because it was a place to get drunk with my friends. There were always some bands that stuck out, mostly local ones like the Mystery Girls who I liked from the getgo, cause I was into stuff like Stooges, Blue Cheer and the Stones who I saw them as a modern local version of - The Strong Come Ons who I thought were a hardcore band and since them lots of others. After playing in a band with Todd and Josh I've been exposed to even more stuff that I like, but, alot of the stuff I'd never go out and buy myself - of course I'd never need to either, because that's the only kind of music I ever hear.

Basically, I really get into the bands that I think are putting an interesting spin on things, like Black Lips, for example. It is really frustrating though putting time and money into trying to expose people to stuff I'm into and having it completely ignored, but, like I said, it's all a matter of taste, and people are gonna like what they're gonna like. I can't force people to listen to the kind of stuff I like, unfortunately. Alot of it is more about aesthetics than anything anyway, people just won't give shit a chance because they don't like the name, or the way people look, or the emotions that are presented in the music or the fans that they assume the band will draw than anything else, in my opinion, which could very well be wrong.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:20 pm

Did they bring any cheese over with 'em?
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:20 pm

Last week I went to an experimental noise concert in an unused church on the grounds of an eastern-philosophy private school. They had four or five composers showcasing their wares, mostly laptop noise compositions with a projection of some kind synced to it up on the wall. And a couple guys who played actual instruments at the end. It was cool as a change of pace, as a steady diet I don't think it would hold my interest.

One of the guys who played at that thing is doing a remix of one tune on my new album...
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:21 pm

"I can't force people to listen to the kind of stuff I like, unfortunately"

Buy a gun! Buy lots of guns, and cheese!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:23 pm

small rockabilly festival

So how expensive is it to have a cool 50's car in Europe? Do they have to ship their 57 Chevy's over or have we always exported cars across the pond?
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:27 pm

Man, gas, as you lot callsit, is, like $10 per gallon - how expensive do you think that makes it?
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:38 pm

Yeah, I don't mind a lot of this stuff as its a night out and everybody's getting drunk. And as I live in the 'punk house', I get a lot folks staying over. Its nice to come home and find Evolution Control Commitee trying to fix a 'cyber glove' in the kitchen, finding Erase Errata sulking in the living room being forced to watch Sore Losers or playing cards and listening to Mexican garage with Drop The Lime or Knifehandchop. So yeah, I'm thinking about the good points now, as these are nice guys (except Erase Errata who called us 'terrible hipsters' in their blog). It's mainly the endless stream of samey skronky angular prog bands with no sense of humour that I really have had enough of.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:43 pm

"skronky angular prog bands with no sense of humour that I really have had enough of"

Yup, I'll second that emotion!

EVERYONE should be forced to watch Sore Losers, it's a work of genius!

I was chuffed that JMM liked my comment about Teenage Tupelo being all "tits, trees and shadows", that he wrote it on his Loserville poster!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:47 pm

Evolution Control Commitee

I have their 1st 7". That's funny, I was talking to someone about them just yesterday.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 6:22 pm

Evolution Control Commitee

their take on landing on the moon is fucking funny. the fucking moon.

http://evolution-control.com/sounds/The%20Evolution%20Control%20Commit tee%20-%20The%20Fucking%20Moon.mp3
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 6:37 pm

i'm gonna go buy some hairspray, shave my beard off and make a cool pompadour and have little dagger sideburns.
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 4:03 am

I've been listening to a compilation that Jeffrey Lee Pierce made and it has loads of roots- verging on rockabilly sound- especially Buck Griffen singing "Watching the 710 Roll By," incredible stuff. Also, Lonesome Lee- two songs and I know nothing about him but he rocks like Jimmy Reed but more edgy and uptempo.
Anyone know anything about Lonesome Lee?
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 4:14 am

Drop The Lime's last album is fuckin' tits and a half. Knifehandchop I don't care for. Same with Erase Eratta.

I wanna hang out at your house. It sounds infinitely more exciting than hanging out in Milwaukee and having drunk friends ask me over and over "so, when are you leaving town?"
Posted: Aug 5, 2006 5:15 am

Haunted George + Deadbolt!

Now THAT'S a fucking show! How do I get that to happen? Not rockabilly, not punk, just kickass music.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 8:54 am

First off, wow, some of you cats got a whole lotta time on yer hands,eh?
(ha, so says the guy respondin to this, well...)

Real rockabilly rules. Now i know most of you folks postin on this know the difference between good n bad, and know that it doesn't just apply to rockabilly , but to everything, right? Schooley started this rant by bein pissed off at bein called a rockabilly(or somethin like that), instead sayin "NO,MAN..PUNK ROCK!!"...well, what is punk rock nowadays?...it's mall rock,it's elevator music,it's sellin gum on tv,etc....you gotta go to the underground to find the real good shit, right?...even then, you'll step in shit half the time...well, the same goes with rockabilly. Just because you ain't as familiar with it as you are the newest cd (sorry, lp) by whoever, don't be afraid, it's just music! Fuck, get on with your life already!

----"They all pretend to be mechanics"
HA! well, that is true to SOME degree, but alot of these cats know what's goin on under the hood, and have helped me out a shitload (in atlanta, no less!). Apart from a few little things i've picked up along the way, i know shit about cars. i wish i knew more, but i also wish i knew how to play piano....whattya gonna do?

----"Secret skinheads everywhere.."
yeah, uh, this is actually true. Its called the "rockabilly retirement plan". I guess it's real easy to turn their skinhead tattos into cadillac logos or somethin. You can spot these jokers a mile away. They are the ones at shows with their arms folded, lookin for fights, not havin any fun. I've recently noticed this trend dyin out in the past little while. This is a GOOD thing and i'm not askin why. Good riddance.

-----"chunky chicks"
Yeah, i've never seen any fat chicks into punk,hip hop,garage,etc...
Open yer damn eyes! Fat people are everywhere.....especially in america. Fat "rockabilly" chicks just tend to stand out more because that style is further away from , uh, i dunno, mainstream fashion...i mean, the average dude in sneakers,jeans,whatever, well they wouldn't get a second glance from ya, right?...then you see some sharp lookin cat walkin down the road all greased up, well, that stands out a little, no?

----"rockabilly costumes"
i know what you mean, but again, really, look around you. Schooley mentioned how he was wearin his "t-shirt,jeans & chucks", i'm sure that doesn't sound familiar to any of you....and while you may say "yeah, but they all look alike", well, to YOU they might, but trust me, they are happy NOT to look just like you and everyone on mtv, dig?

-----"honkydom"?
Haunted george replied to this sayin how there is a huge mexican/latino in this scene. When was the last time you saw 50/50 (insert race here) & white at a reignin sound gig?

-----"ray condo"
hell yeah, ray ruled and still does. But his 80's/90's band was called the hardrock goners , not hardluck goners. Just clearin that up for the dude who wanted to do some record huntin.

-----"psychobilly"
Yes, psychobilly sucks. No argument there. I have seen maybe 2 or 3 good "psychobilly" bands (out of 100,000,000 ya know). 99% of them ain't psycho, and ain't 'billy. Just shit with an upright bass. The same goes for lame,limp "rockabilly" bands.

----wow, you've read this far, cool!

---"bottled beer tastes better than tap beer...it's a fact. But, yeah, maybe those WERE douchebags you were servin, i dunno and i don't care.

----"popo, i may have been that "super rockabillytype guy" at the king khan show at babylon...i remember gettin smashed, but don't remember bein "silent" or "still"....hmmm, maybe cause i was smashed?....naaaw.

----to the guy who like tiger army: yes, your opinion WILL be negated.

----sideburns causin ya grief?...uh, cut 'em off or get a thicker skin, dickwad.

----milkshakes?...i fukkin love milkshakes...Who has a problem with milkshakes?

----to shaun a.: Even shitty bands gotta pay gas. I ain't yer mom, but stealin sucks..... but that georges leningrad story was really funny.

----and finally, yeah , i think that barry dude said it best , "It either rocks or it doesn't"

fuck that was long.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 2:48 pm

Modern rockabilly (with one-two exceptions) just ain't any good. I've been to a couple "world's biggest rockabilly" festivals (just down the road from my house) and banned is right, you're hit with tons of faux-billy in GB and the Fox Valley, especially, so I've checked out tons. I always wanna hear the good shit, but none of it has that wild spirit or the weird, spacious dynamics...the feel is just wrong.

As to what Sherry and some others have mentioned, in the hardcore scene, anything not part of the "DIY hardcore scene" is either "garage" or "indie" - no lie. Just ask some of those clowns about it. Frantic are garage. Holy Shit! is "garagey hardcore." Pop bands are garage. New wave bands are garage. Heavy bands - garage. As long as they've played a Blackout or have been mentioned by Goners, Hozax or Terminal-Boredums, it's garage no matter what it actually sounds like. Gris Gris - garage. Digital Leather - garage. It's crazy. They're just as bad as the neu-billies or the garage nazis on garagepunk.com. Good's good.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 2:57 pm

ps blah blah garage
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 3:01 pm

fuck it, regulations are a garage band. all that kick'n'punch stuff is garage. pedestrians - garage. bayonettes - garage. gorilla angreb and knugen faller are all garage. all the best 'diy hc' is really garage.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 3:37 pm

Weird thing is they all wear Turbojugendjackets and a lot have Peter Pan Speedrock and Nashville Pussy tattoos, someone must've told them billy's and surfchicks should be into those bands.

Wow VDW you make Belgium sound alot like Atlanta! Disappointing.

Creep Dog knows his shit. All good points.

None of this is very important to me, but my main thought here is how aggrevating it is to see clones of any type. And within the local Rockabilly scene there seems to be alot of clones who have developed pretty negative attitudes. I guess this comes with the "macho-posing" and "secret skinhead" aspect of the whole gig. I live in The South, though, so what should I expect?

That said, I love and appreciate a several friends who kind of base their image around this stuff. I can consider them true outsiders because of their open minds and their love of things counter-cultural, even today, in an age where counter-culture is the new culture.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 4:03 pm

Who woulda thunk my poorly written rant re: a petty personal annoyance would drag on (and on...and ON!) to 150 posts? A nerve touched. A finger on the pulse. Zietgeist-y!
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 4:35 pm

There are guys I know who only wear "vintage". It's gotta be 50's or 40's. I swear one guy I know only wears underwear from the 40's that he scored in an auction. Shit is EXPENSIVE too! It all seems silly, but hey I've got my own weirdo obsessions. I just love the sheer nuttiness that goes into any kind of compulsive lifestyle. A few (very few) people can actually pull it off with a impressive amount of elan. Most are ok folks who got carried away with their enthusiasm. Some of 'em are pretty scary, (just like any other scene).

It's funny that they are obsessed with a period of time that is now stretching back over 50 years. If Elvis was doing that, he would have been wearing a derby and suspenders and singing Pollywollydoodle all day.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 4:38 pm

It's funny that they are obsessed with a period of time that is now stretching back over 50 years

no shit, there is this rockabilly DJ in Dallas/Fort Worth....only wears "vintage", drives a 50s Caddy, probably makes toast in a 50 year old toaster, but he is a CD DJ...never could understand that one...seems like he should only play 78s and 45s.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 4:38 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

If Elvis was doing that, he would have been wearing a derby and suspenders and singing Pollywollydoodle all day.

Leon Redbone did. I mean, sing that song at least.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 4:55 pm

you're a redbone singing pollywollydoodle all day
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 5:07 pm

probably makes toast in a 50 year old toaster,

That cracked me up. Does he use 50 year old bread?
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 6:44 pm

Haunted george replied to this sayin how there is a huge mexican/latino in this scene. When was the last time you saw 50/50 (insert race here) & white at a reignin sound gig?

Maybe it's a L.A. anomalie but the last time RS played the troubadour here it was a pretty mixed crowd.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:54 pm

Pollywollydoodle all day

I can dig that!
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 10:06 pm

Maybe it's a L.A. anomalie but the last time RS played the troubadour here it was a pretty mixed crowd.

I just don't want to see any god-damned gypsies at shows!!
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 10:23 pm

Half Guilty Hearts, half Lamps?
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 12:39 am

garage

isn't that some new kind of rave music
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 12:43 am

If Elvis was doing that, he would have been wearing a derby and suspenders and singing Pollywollydoodle all day.

Just thinking about that is soooo cute! Almost as cute as my new puppy, who, in honor of this thread I have decided to name Rockadoodle!

Tutti Frutti!

-Greg Greaser, Bad Boy of Leather
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 1:28 am

I have decided to name Rockadoodle!

OMG!!! MY CHI-WA-WA IS NAMED "DOODLE-BUGS"!!!! How cute is THAT?!?!?! When ever I leave the house I say, "Toodles Doodle"!! Anyone with toy dogs is going to want to stop by "Chi-wa-wa Ga-ga" A guy named Geoff works there and he is soooooooooo nice ;) Tell him I sent you. :)
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 1:33 am

"A small store for dinky dogs"

Specialty shop for all the best in doggie style!
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 1:42 am

El Duce didn't like rockabilly. Ergo: I don't like rockabilly...
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 4:55 pm

Hell Scholley, ya got some discussion going here.

How about adding a regular colunm:

How i beat up a Rockabilly poser for kicks?

I'd dedicate my journalistic expertise to such an undertaking....might actually be a good idea for one of them reality shows.

Sign me up...I'll bring the Sweet Georgia Brown.

Ten 4

Mudd
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 5:52 pm

It's funny that they are obsessed with a period of time that is now stretching back over 50 years

no shit, there is this rockabilly DJ in Dallas/Fort Worth....only wears "vintage", drives a 50s Caddy, probably makes toast in a 50 year old toaster, but he is a CD DJ...never could understand that one...seems like he should only play 78s and 45s.

Hey Ritchie! Do I know you? Where do you dwell? Lakewood/East Dallas fool, here...
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 3:45 am

My inlaws live in Pacoima, in the San Fernando Valley CA. The area is about 99.99% Mexican. We were standing in line at In n Out and an older Mexican man asked me and my chick if we were "goths". I about dropped fucking dead. I took about fifteen minutes to explain to him the differences between punks and goths. I made sure he knew how to tell if someone was a goth: their eyeliner is runny from all the tears. Point of the story, I'd rather be called rockabilly than goth.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®