Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Getting 45s pressed in the US - cheapest/best?
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 5:14 pm

Hey Goners

The Stripchords folks wanna get, like, 200-300 45s with the large 'jukebox' centre hole pressed, so who's best/cheapest in the US?

Which US pressing plants can we email a 'Red Book' quality sound file & label art to, pay via Paypal, and then who'll send us the 45s marked 'promo only, not for sale', so as we don't get done for import charges into the UK?

Do any US pressing plants fit this bill, and what's the damage, $$$-wise?

Your expertise would be appreciated!

El 'Keggo
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 5:15 pm

Posted: Jul 26, 2006 5:19 pm

Does United accept paypal?
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 5:21 pm

No, but they should probably just get that idea out of their head, cause does anyone? United is cheapest anyway.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 5:32 pm

united is the cheapest for sure. they might lose your m/o or forget to send your test pressings or even press a record on the wrong color. but if your pressing limited to 200-300 i wouldn't even consider using anyone else.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 5:33 pm

I'd be surprised if you could email the soundfile to United. They also require a shit-ton of paperwork for any pressing project, which seems to counter what BKS is after.

They're definitely cheapest, and decent quality.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 5:35 pm

Yeah, well, putting out a record requires a bit of elbow grease.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 5:45 pm

Does anyone know anyone who's used this place? Its in Switzerland and theyre super cheap

http://www.amei.se/
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 7:24 pm

We just did our 7" (300 copies) at Musicol. http://www.musicolrecording.com/
They did a great job and they were a few bucks cheaper than United. I paid with my debit card, but they may also accept PayPal. Call/E-mail them with questions. They were very helpful. They might even be willing to do that funny stuff so you don't have to pay import charges.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 11:24 pm

I second Musicol, they didn't fuck anything up at all. And they are pretty quick too and their color rates are super cheap. Only a flat rate of $20
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 11:32 pm

i like united. talk to beth. have that insane packet of paper they send you to fill out, and she will tell you "yeah, skip that page, skip that one, write n/a on that one, ok sign it and send it to me". easy peasy lemon squeezy. not sure about the paypal thing, but other than that, they've always been super easy to deal with, and affordable.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 11:42 pm

URP is the worst. I still have a300 of some other record labels record that they sent me. THey lost my paper work on this last order 4 times. Im now using musicol. URP does not give a shit about you or your record. fuck those guys
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 12:21 am

I recently heard about some Czech place that's cheap, and has a great turnaround time. Dusty Medical found out about 'em from the dude at Hookorcrook I guess, I think that's where he's sending our shit. You should ask one of those characters as I myself don't know the name...
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 12:25 am | Edited by: BigKegShandy

Thanks, y'all, I actually used to run a label back in 92-3, pre-net, and we had a rekkid pressed at United, and it actually ended up costing us more in import duties than pressing it in the UK, despite how cheap it was for the actual run ... Just wondered what the score was - seems daft that United are still so defiantly old school, I mean, it'd make sense to be able to email in yer tracks!

Will et ya know what goes on, basically, we just wanted to do summat for ourselves - if anyone with a label wants to do a Stripchords 45, check our stuff online(www.myspace.com/thestripchords) and get in touch ... We're gonna do Batfink and an original as a 45, recorded pretty basically, with a generic, 1960s custom press-type label ... We even had an idea to ding a few copies up a bit, get some old brown 45 sleeves, and actually plant 'em in some thrift stores!
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 2:33 am

Gramofonové závody a.s.
Address 267 12 Lodinice
Czech Republic
Phone 420 311 672 409
420 311 672 309
Fax 420 311 672 143
Email gramofonove@pha.pvtnet.cz
Web Site http://www.pvtnet.cz/www/gramofonove/
Description They have a sales office in San Francisco USA as well as the UK, Switzerland, Greece and China.

Estabilished in 1948 GRAMOFONOVÉ ZÁVODY brings decades of quality manufacturing experience to the music industry. GZ is located 15 miles West of the great city of Prague in the Czech Republic. This central European location is ideally suited for the manufacturing, warehousing and distribution of CDs throughout the continent.

The Czech Republic is an associate member of the EU. There are NO trade barriers nor any export duties to pay. GZ is also a member of the BIEM and OSA copyright protection organizations. The Western market place now accounts for 80% of the GZ client base. The major accounts are now represented by the following countries: GERMANY, NETHERLANDS, UNITED KINGDOM AND the UNITED STATES. GZ sales for manufacturing and distribution are also rapidly expanding in the traditional Eastern markets.
Comments
Comment "The pressing plant in the Czech Republic is where a lot of UK/German indie labels have stuff done super cheap -- appearantly they don't ship you your records, they leave 'em in a train station locker or something crazy..."
Comment "Well, I guess it comes down to your own personal experiences... but I've used both Key and Gramofonove on numerous occasions over the past 15 months or so, and frankly Gramofonove wins hands-down every time on quality over Key, with whom I've experienced numerous problems, with re-presses being almost the norm. In fact I know of one UK label who are now up to their 10th repress on one particular release through Key."
Comment "FOR 7" RECORDS THIS COMPANY CAN'T BE BEAT (I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE AS WE ONLY DO 7's) THEY ARE FAST & CHEAP AND BETTER QUALITY THAN ANYONE ELSE I HAVE SEEN. THERE MASTERING IS GREAT AS THEY DONT ADD ANYTHING TO THE MIX SO IT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE THE MASTER TAPE. IM TOLD THERE PHOTO SLEEVES ARE NOT TO GREAT BUT I HAVN'T CHECKED THIS OUT MYSELF. YOU DO HAVE TO PAY IMPORT TAX WHICH IN THE U.K WORKS OUT AROUND A QUARTER OF THE PRICE (just over)."
Comment "i just made a 7" with this people and they were not only the cheapest but their service is great... as CZ is not an european comunity country you have to pay for taxes at the aduane, where the records are left waiting for you (not at any locker...) but in my case it wasnt more than 10% of the price... all indie labels in Spain use their service... "
Comment "I was supposed to use GZ and they've made my test pressing and everything. but while making it, they've also raised their prices! now they want me to pay Ł321 for 300 thick 7"s instead of the promised Ł234 (which was the deal when i ordered.) and they didn't tell me about it until it was time to pay! badbadbad! but i have heard that they are good (quality and that), which was why i was gonna use them... "
Comment "There 7's are cool, but the sleeve color's are not great, + you seem to get differant prices for the same job depending on who you talk to."
Comment "whoever wrote the thing about gramofonove winning hands down over Key took the words right out of my mouth. exactly the same thing applied with my experience of Key productions. Gramofonove's pressings are by far the best i've had so far.... and no they don't leave them in a train station locker (!).. just a regular shipping and delivery for me..."
Comment "best sounding and thickest records currently being made on this planet, plus affordable for small runs. Even a deal getting shipped to the USA. "
Comment "We did a couple of 12" with them for House Productions. The record quality and their service is solid, shipping was anything else than in a train station and we'll use them again when we need 12" Format. The only point is print work, could be better for stickers on the sleeves."
Comment "dealt with the prague office and have no complaints. shipping to the US on our order of 7"es was expensive, but GZ is the only place i've seen that does 70 gram heavy duty 7"es suitable for djs. turnaround was quick and terms were explained when i had questions. our records look and feel and sound great and were packed very well. dealing with them can be intimidating, but they are quite helpful and picking up cargo at the airport is the hardest part."
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 4:26 am

piratespress.com outsources to the czechs. they do some CRAZY colored vinyl. picture discs and all that. direct metal mastering, which sounds real cool 'cause it's got "metal" in it.

they might be comparable depending on what you wanna do. pretty sure the fe fi fo fums lp was done there.
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 4:36 am

I've heard some stuff on from that CZ pressing plant. The vinyl was really thick.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®