Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / NYC/Boston Music Stores
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 1:36 pm | Edited by: DevilDog

I'm visiting Boston and NYC with my family in a few weeks and hoped to hit a few superb record stores. Any help with the "can't miss" record hot spots? Thanks.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 3:17 pm

the two boston stores i visit on a semi-regular basis are CHEAPO RECORDS in central square on mass avenue, and IN YOUR EAR on commonwealth ave. (it's right next the paradise rock club)...

cheapo has tons of 50's and 60's comps as well as individual artists...nothing really modern garage wise...lots of ace doo wop stuff...some norton stuff...etc ...they also have a huge amount of 45's, but they're behind the counter. they'll look for stuff for you if you have a list...which i don't really like, i'd rather just paw thru the 45's and buy shit that looks interesting...

in your ear is pretty decent as far as boston goes...the owner is pretty cool and he'll give you discounts if he sees you regularly...he does 45's right...catagorizes them by genre...just ask for the "instrumentals" box or the "60's garage" box and they'll give em to you...i almost always find a decent 45 or 3 for under 5 bux...

in your ear has a sister location in harvard square, but its not as good as the one on comm ave...

thats about it...there's regeneration records in allston, and newburry comics (a chain)...twisted village in harvard square, small store with some 60's garage, but mostly psych and jazz...

my guess is that if the crypt record store is open by the time you go to ny, all your music needs will be taken care of there!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 12:10 am

As far as NYC, come to Academy and Passout in Brooklyn. They're walking distance from each other. I work at Academy and have been stocking on as much good shit as I can as far as reissues and new bands, Mike's been doing the same at Passout.

Academy also has a ton of used vinyl, with competitive prices.

Eat Records is great, and hopefully the Crypt store will be open when you get here.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 12:17 am

The used stuff at Academy is great if youre into all kindsa old obscure shit. I'm really into the soundtrack section. Hey Snipey, can you see if that $5 copy of "Buona Sera Mrs. campbell" is still there?
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 12:34 am

hey mike sniper would it be possible for you to go away???
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 2:31 am

Ned, I'm getting really jealous of you hating on Mike Sniper all the sudden? what did I do????
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:03 am | Edited by: mikesniper

I just got bored and started posting too much. I was worried this would happen...
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:06 am

You guys should have a sausage party.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:20 am

Like, vienna sausage party.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:24 am

The Boots are from France.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:27 am

They were from Holland but stationed in Germany.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:33 am

2 different bands maybe....

There was a Les Boots from France, put out at least 2 EP's. Pretty Things type shit.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:48 am

DUH! LES Boots ain't THE Boots. SHEESH! LES Boots were from Rivington and Delancey.

THE Boots are Pretty Things type shit too. They actually do that song "But You Never Do It Baby" that the Cops and Robbers did, but WAY better. Like, super sonic rave up with the main beat being "to swing" personified.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:51 am

I think you mean TWO Boots!

Haw!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:53 am

you're a two boots.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 4:02 am

TWOche!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 4:04 am

I love you, man.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 4:13 am

Is Mars Records in Boston (Cambridge technically, I think) still open? Its the best record store I've ever been to. Its been seven years, though, so maybe its gone, but it is/was such a great store. Bought the Reatards "Your So Lewd" 7" and the Killed By Epitaph double LP (for $7 new!!!) the last time I was there.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 5:32 am

mars is a goner unfortunately
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 1:05 pm

Thanks for the USEFUL info (although I could have done without the bitch fight)!

Any other info involving what to do or where to eat, especially in NYC, is greatly appreciated along with more vinyl shop info. My daughter and wife are planning an afternoon of clothes/girl shit shopping which I'd like to kindly excuse myself from so I need to be armed with some places to go.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 1:06 pm

Oh yeah, addresses for those shops mentioned?
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 2:58 pm

hey don't be an ungrateful fuck. i threw the bitch fight in gratis. i suggest you go to wowsville (second ave. between 7th and 8th sts.). much better than wastin your time at acadegay or passgas.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:12 pm

re: boston

there's also looney tunes, which tends to have some good shit from time to time. that's on boylston st in back bay.

planet records in harvard sq also has a small lp section, but they also getdecent stuff from time to time.

if you have access to wheels and are up for a little driving, both the record exchange (salem) and mystery train (gloucester) tend to have some good shit.

sadly mars is done. the owner, tim, still does a bit of stuff on line and at record shows out here. definitely miss his shop though.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:14 pm

My daughter and wife

I thought "family" meant you were going with your parents.

i suggest you go to wowsville

DD, I'm sure you are aware that Wowsville is closed, but if your wife and kid want a manicure it's now a nail salon.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 2:40 am

hey don't be an ungrateful fuck.

Considering the very first word of my post was "thanks", I didn't think I was being an "ungrateful fuck".

PP - We're actually staying just north of Boston in Waltham so I think we're close to Salem and had planned a trip there. Thanks.

Bazooka - thanks for keeping from a wild goose chase.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:01 am

Yeah, whatever you ungrateful fuck.

HEE-HAAW!!
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:13 am

Any other info involving what to do or where to eat, especially in NYC, is greatly appreciated

There's currently an exhibit on Dada-ist art at Moma http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2006/Dada.html but it costs like 20 bucks to get in and the kids might not have all that great a time there. You might want to take them to the Museum of Natural History. THat place is still pretty awesome and - as a kid - I thought it was the coolest place ever.

If you have never eaten Indian Food in the 'curry corridor' (6th Street between 1st and 2nd in Manhattan), that's always a fun thing to do. The food is pretty good at many of those places and many have live Indian music. My favorite is the one with all lights and garlands and shit hanging from the ceiling and in the window - it's actually around the corner on 1st avenue between 5th and 6th, up a flight of stairs - there are two restaurants there, I prefer the food in the one on the right.

And go to Chinatown and walk around. PLenty of fun stuff to see there, and cheapo crap to buy the kids. My niece always begs to go there when she visits.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:19 am

I was at the Dada exhibit two weekends ago and it was great. The whole MOMA is great! If you go on friday between 4-8 it's FREE!!!

Panna II. That's the Indian place Jahna's talking about. The decor is really fun especially if you're a kid. They play goofy Indoan music in ther too. Great place, great food, service, atmosphere and the prices are nice and low.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:19 am

Central Park Zoo is only 6 dollars and it's beautiful.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:29 am

Yes! Panna II - that's the place. And What Joe siad about the Zoo - that is the perfect place to bring the kids!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®