Posted: Jul 16, 2006 2:27 pm

Crime had more good songs.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 2:51 pm

too close to call

CRIME or CHROME

chrome. sorry crime
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Crime had more good songs.
Are yopu fucking nuts....Almost every Screamers song is great....Crime on the other hand .. Well they looked good...
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 3:41 pm

jay, have you sent out my record? 1xhammer 7" to germany...june 5th.....
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 3:59 pm

Screamers!
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 4:52 pm

avengers
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 5:05 pm

avengers

Hell no. They suck.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 5:14 pm

Wow,

2 of my faves. Throwing Chrome into the picture would make my head explode, but they have a jillion releases so they don't fit....

I guess Screamers are more innovative, not that Crime weren't.

They both sucked at the end though (ever see that Screamers shit with the violin and actress? Gross.)
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 7:00 pm

Neither band had a studio album.

Uhh, yeah they did...unreleased by a major.

Just corn doggin!

Crime looked cooler, Screamers had better songs. Combine them into one big band called Scrime and you got a hit.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 8:48 pm | Edited by: Mr E Action

There are a number of subpar Screamers songs. I'll take Chrome or Suicide over them anyday. Plus Tomata is pretty fucking annoying.

There are some crappy Crime numbers too though.

I think I'll go with Huey Lewis and the News, now that was a BAND!
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 9:58 pm | Edited by: slashkbdpunk

Crime looked cooler

You think cops looks cool? You are crazy son.And looking cool is useless anyway.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 10:00 pm

Scrimers.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 11:47 pm

You think cops looks cool? You are crazy son.And looking cool is useless anyway

They didn't always dress like cops, gimmie a break. Check the cover of the "Hotwire My Heart" 45. Crime dressed cool, IMO. Or at least snazzier than, say, The Dils. They also had a cool logo. Crime was all about image.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 12:39 am

who happened to rock more than just a little.

CHROME or CREAM?

chrome. fuck you cream!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 2:07 am

I think the perfect synthesis of Crime and Chrome is the Spits' No Place to Live/Greyhound Bound/Please Don't Just Shoot Me.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 4:16 am

Crime by a long shot. That Screamers demo thing is good, but the sound fucking sucks.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 5:10 am

The sound sucks cause it was bootleged of ofa 4th or 5th generation tape.. the original master still exist but "tommy gear" hates the screamers...Crime is really overrated..Screamers are really underrated..
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 5:24 am

Crime by a long shot. That Screamers demo thing is good, but the sound fucking sucks.

I'm partial to Crime, but I kind of agree with Peeps. Screamers demos do sound muddy, but check out some of the live/music video shit they have on Youtube, such as "Vertigo" or "122 Hours Of Fear". That shit blows Crime away by miles, sound wise. Maybe even image-wise if you dig their punk Pee Wee Herman geek thing. Crime is cool but the sound never fit the image well, IMO. First two 45's are cool but there is something lacking in it...
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 5:24 am

oh shit now I'm gonna get eaten alive by talking shit about Crime. Who are actually one of my fav. bands.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 5:27 am

Also alot of the myth and hype behind these two bands is made up of "potential", not anything they actually did. Either one of these bands could have totally fucked up a shot at a label/record deal/real studio recording if given the chance. And put out some mediocre crap.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 5:28 am

jay, have you sent out my record? 1xhammer 7" to germany...june 5th.....

Well I sold 3 of this record on ebay on june 4th and shipped them all. Email off this board this aint the place for this kinda bizz dude!!

jayreatard@gmail.com
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 5:30 am

CRIME! I prefer guitars over synth any day!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 6:16 am

Hotwire My Heart and Baby, You're So Repulsive are better than anything the Screamers put out. If I Can't Have... is alright . I don't see what so cool about impersonating police officers... Okay, Crass vs. The Screaming Mee Mees?
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 2:20 pm

i'd have to say crime. i'm alot more familiar with them though...i've been getting into the screamers lately..."122 hours of fear" is killing me

and the screaming mee mees are 1000 times better than crass
hot sody in the sun!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 2:27 pm

the screaming mee mees are 1000 times better than most things

ANSWER ME!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 2:30 pm

i've been getting into the screamers lately..."magazine love" is killing me

you dont love me you love mag-a-zi-ines!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 4:04 pm

hot sody in the sun!

I love that song! What's the rest of their stuff like ... comparable? The band's name makes me think of 80s 'alternative rock' for some reason, so I guess I always kinda dismissed them.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 4:21 pm

I really wouldn't call the Screamers underrated anymore...they've gotten plenty of run in the last few years.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 4:26 pm

Screamers for me.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 6:19 pm

they've gotten plenty of run in the last few years.

Yeah by punk nerds... I'm just saying the screamers could have been as big as soft cell or wall of voodoo and should have... Crime is all look and barely songs...And if you cant see the awesome irony of dressing like a cop you just dont get it...
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 7:02 pm

Them dorky Screamers would've been eaten up and spit out if they played this show.

URL
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 7:02 pm

I'm just saying the screamers could have been as big as soft cell or wall of voodoo

Doubtful.

But in the long run, the Screamers were def. the better band than Crime...even I can admit that.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 8:51 pm

Crime.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 9:02 pm

Actually, I've been thinking it over... "vertigo" is a good song. I had the Screamers live c.d. but sold it...
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 9:48 pm

Yeah, Crime was really just all image, and they BARELY had any songs. IM SURE!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 10:19 pm

TESTORS!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:11 pm

Crime, no contest
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:13 pm

Why is there a competition?

Crime was a fucking great, sloppy rock n' roll band with a bass player who was all over the place, mostly out of tune, and it worked. Yes, they had a killer "look" and some of the best poster art EVER, but I still think their music is fucking great. Maybe they don't have a knack for melody, but not everyone has to.

The Screamers were the biggest draw as an LA punk band during their heydey, maybe only other competition for poularity was the Weirdos, so for a year and a half or so, they were huge. They had an enormous fan club. Germs, X and Black Flag got bigger later. They recorded a record for Geza X then scrapped it because they wanted to do a "Video" album. A bunch of these clips are bonus footage on the Target DVD. These are the best fidelity fecordings of the Screamers. You can still talk to KK Barrett about this shit on MySpace. They didn't put a record out because they thought it was a "dated" format. Obviously, that was stupid, but it's enhanced their legendary cult status.

Their music is also fucking amazing. I feel like everyone misses on their sense of humor. "I'm Going Steady With Twiggy" ??? All the other synth bands were being cold and distant.

They're both great, this thread is dumb. There's room in the world for 2 bands, you know?
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:25 pm

hot sody in the sun!

I love that song! What's the rest of their stuff like ... comparable? The band's name makes me think of 80s 'alternative rock' for some reason, so I guess I always kinda dismissed them.

screamin mee mees first EP is the most accessible stuff. HOT SODY, STRUCK OUT (my favorite for a while), and PIGS are all killer and much more song-y than stuff that they later did. from there on it gets progressively weirder and weirder. but still pretty fucking great. i'm gonna go listen to the mee mees and crime right now!
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 12:02 am

okay, i'm gonna take that back. all the screamin mee mees stuff is killer. get the basement anthology
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 12:17 am

The Screaming Mee Mees are better than Crass, Crime, and The Screamers combined x10. Though I wish the Screamers c.d. I sold didn't sound so muddy...
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 12:18 am

Don't Avoid the Issue
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 4:40 am

Screamers did a way better live show, DuPlenty was soooooo dramatic.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 5:19 am

then scrapped it because they wanted to do a "Video" album. A bunch of these clips are bonus footage on the Target DVD. These are the best fidelity fecordings of the Screamers.

Anybody who's ever delved into a book on the "history" of MTV (garr...) would say they were actually two steps ahead of the game by doing this, however. The first conceptions of an "all music" cable T.V. channel (the roots of which can be traced to Mike Nessmith, I guess-he put the idea on the table to a bunch of companies, nobody bit) where geared towards "all video" VHS "records"...meaning a band would put out a full Beta or VHS video album, with a video for each song. Then the network would play of a full hour of an album, I guess.

This concept makes alot of sense given the high sound quality of VHS and Beta tape. Shit sounds alot better than cassette or 8-track, and could pass for a peice of high end stereo equipment at the time.

Not sure if The Screamers were aware of this at the time (doubtfull...), but I'm just saying....at that particular moment an entire video album wasn't that unfeasible of an idea, so they were forward thinking, if nothing else.

Or maybe they just realized Youtube.com would happen....
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 5:25 am

actually, just so I don't get attacked on this, The Screamers/early MTV idea might be an anachronism...Nesmith might not have been pitching that until around 1980? You get my point, though.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 8:02 am

For me personally, I would have to say far & away that Crime is the better of the 2 bands. The Screamers definately have their place & the live videos I've seen got the goods, but the only band in the world for me that can touch Crime is Pagans who I might like better.

For a while, all I could listen to was Cleveland or SF.

Chrome, Crime, Residents...

Pagans, Dead Boys, 1st 2 Pere Ubu records...
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 8:09 am

PUNK NERDS!!!
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 2:00 pm

Crime
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 5:44 pm

Crime. More good songs, and because Johnny Strike is a Goner.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 4:32 am

Cleavland, take your head outa your ass art fags
DEVO RULES
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 4:41 am

devo is like the best band ever next o the dils minutemen and ramones
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 7:22 am

I love Devo, but they were from Akron, actually.

Find the Stiff Records Akron comp for more good stuff from that time & area. It included such chart monsters Bizarros, Rubber City Rebels, Jane Aire, & the hyper-adorable Rachel Sweet.

Furthermore, nothing art faggy about Crime. That band could absolutely shred. Besides, one of the guys in Crime has daughters in Lou Lou & The Guitarfish who are now signed to Birdman. All right, that doesn't mean anything, but it's true nevertheless.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 10:27 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®