Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / american movie
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 8:21 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

just watched it the other night...man what a wacko that guy is...the film he makes is pretty good even
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 8:38 pm

I always see him around Milwaukee...he's an incredibly friendly dude!!!
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 8:39 pm

"It's alright. It's O.K. There's... there's... um."
"It's alright. It's O.K. There's something to live for. Jesus told me... uhhem... There's something to live for..."
It's alright. It's O.K. There's something to live for. Jesus told me soooo.
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 8:51 pm

Yet another reason Wisconsin owns yer ass.
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 9:03 pm

The same director (of the documentary, not featured in the film) made another doc. called Home Movie, which is pretty amazing. It's about people and their wacky homes. There was a guy in a houseboat in Louisiana who had a gator farm. I've thought of him several times since Katrina and wonder what behame of him. The best house, though, was in Illinois. It was totally automated and reminded me of PeeWees playhouse.
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 9:04 pm

i love his friend. especially when he laughs...
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 9:53 pm

Mark Borchardt and his mom came to my rummage sale last month--I offered her a beer but he said "It's a Red Dog mom, it'll fuck you up!" The guy was like the fucking Dalai Lama I swear.

-Ryan
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 10:51 pm

i have a friend who works at target in menomonee(sp?) falls and she says he comes in all the time and never buys anything.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 12:19 am

this is really the best movie ever if anyone hasn't seen it.

i remember the official american website posted mike schank's phone number so people could just call him up and b.s. with him.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 12:46 am

"Coven sounds like Oven"
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 1:03 am

i remember the official american website posted mike schank's phone number so people could just call him up and b.s. with him.

You still can
http://www.americanmovie.com/mike/index.cfm

Apparently it's for real
http://www.anywho.com/qry/wp_rl?npa=414&telephone=4666453
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 1:48 am

Why call him up? You could easily hang out with any of these guys if you just lived in Wisconsin. Everyone in Milwaukee has plenty of stories about partying with Ken Keane.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 2:29 am

i've got mike's album "songs i know" on cassette tape. and a signed copy of COVEN on VHS. love those guys
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 6:01 am

i love that movie. a friend made me watch some movie called 'fubar' that reminded me a lot of american movie. worth looking for if you like american movie. except its a fake documentary canadian style. but great still.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 6:29 am

If you liked "American Movie" and/or "Fubar", you might wanna check out "Hot Rod" - I recently watched this and thought it was pretty damned good. It follows a bunch of rural Canadian demolition derby guys around before, during and after the 2003 Lansdowne fair demo derby - funny stuff.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 2:22 pm

Borchardt was in this movie I saw a bit ago called "The Godfather of Green Bay." Movie was pretty awful, but had some quality performances by Eric Price and Thomas Lennon. Borchardt's got a couple lines in it.
Totally filled with WI stereotypes. Too bad the main guy was awful!

http://www.godfatherofgreenbay.com/
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 3:17 pm

There are no mob-types in Green Bay. It's all Polacks, Krauts and Messicans. I've never seen that movie, but I probably should.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 3:17 pm

Ryan, what records did he buy?
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 4:31 pm

"songs i know"

that's a great title. to the point, ya know?
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 5:43 pm

Here's my Borchardt/Shank story:

They were doing a poster signing at the Oriental Theater, so I went and stood in line and Mike Shank is saying to every single person, "Do you want one of my tapes? You can have one for five dollars." Some bought it, some didn't, but I got up to them and he goes, "Do you want one of my tapes? You can have one for free." It was great! So he's getting my tape and Mark is like, "Is that all you have to say to her, dude?" and picking on him.

And THEN!! Mark signs my poster and passes it over to Mike, who proceeds to make this HUGE, s-c-r-a-w-l-i-n-g signature that's taking like five minutes and Mark starts laughing and goes, "What are you doing, dude?" And Mike says (and this is classic), "You told me to connect all the letters, Mark."

I love those guys.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 6:11 pm

I know that he was supposed to do a pilot for a (cable) TV show some time back, and heard that Death 'n Taxes might be an appropriate in-studio band. Richard Adventure was all revved up over it, but Mark didn't end up coming to their show to check them out because I guess the pilot was killed before it got off the ground. Talk about a meeting of the minds...that would have been great television.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 7:41 pm

I think the best Borchardt/Shank sighting had to be the Cedarburg wine and harvest fest a couple years back.

the wine and harvest fest that didn't have any wine.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 7:41 pm

There are no mob-types in Green Bay

I disagree. There is definately a "mafia" presence there what with the Hmong and Mexicans. Trust me.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 8:30 pm

This movie has an Italian-based lead character who's a stereotypical mob-type. Milwaukee has the Balastraris (or however you spell that) and an Italian presense, GB does not. I'm fully aware of Hmong and Mexican organized crime/gang shit - I do live right by those neighborhoods.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 8:35 pm

One of the Balistreris (I think that's the spelling) used to spend a few weeks every summer in a cottage next door to where I grew up in Door County. Caddy w/ blacked-out windows, black suit (middle of summer), shades, etc. I was fascinated but warned to stay away. The people who rented the place to him were related through marriage or something. They were afraid of him and left him alone. Greasy guido.

There are places all throughout northern Wisconsin with great gangland tales - all the Chicago gangsters owned cabins up there, and the FBI used to try to hit them as they were vacationing in the northwoods. There's a place with 1 pound burgers my Dad used to take me to called "Little Bohemia" or something, and they've left the windows with gunholes in, along with the bullet-riddled panelling on the walls. It was a favorite hangout for Capone, I guess.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 8:46 pm

more borchardt/shank stories!
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 8:57 pm

my grandmother used to tell me that Racine was a big gang meetup point for the chicagoans

she also told me terrorists tried to kill her and larry King saved her when she shouted out to him while he was doing his show, so maybe that info is suspect
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 9:16 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

more borchardt/shank stories!

Not much of a story, but Mike Shank used to come into the CD store i used to work at and spend a couple hours in there looking at shit (with his head phones on, of course) and then leave for five minutes and then come back for a while longer and then leave again without buying anything. I guess that only happened a couple times.

Once, to make asinglespark feel better when her cat passed, my co-worker stole the self-addressed post card of Mike Shank's indicating that his special order came in and gave it to her boyfriend to give to her. He has the handwriting of a five year old (kinda like spark's boyfriend actually).
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 9:17 pm

Racine is the home of the Great Kringleland Gangwars of the 1960's.

I prefer Pecan or Cheese, please.
Posted: Jul 14, 2006 3:11 am

Posted: Jul 14, 2006 3:12 am

i would have to be so drunk to get this excited about fast food
Posted: Jul 15, 2006 2:47 am

Todd, Borchardt bought a vinyl copy of Orson Welles' 'War Of The Worlds' broadcast and said "I've been looking for this!".

-Ryan
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 9:26 pm

"now you can go to burger king, get a whopper and the godamned coke and you're set...so its great that things work out like that"

why isn't he more famous?
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:48 pm

Letterman was using him for a while, doing remotes. They were hilarious. He does seem like the coolest dude on the planet.

When he was on Letterman once Glen Campbell was sitting in with the band. As soon as Mark got out there he instantly went into talking about how awesome it is to listen to 'Rhinestone Cowboy' when you're really high. Glen didn't know how to respond.

Amazings!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®