Goner Message Board / ???? / It Came From Detroit trailer
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:36 pm

Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:43 pm

james has some other good video on the www.itcamefromdetroit.com website
def. worth checking out
his video for the come on's is WAY COOL
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:48 pm

HAHA! GO TIMMY VULGAR!

As for Mick, I'm really sick of that bullshit about how this music is created without talent. Even as far back as the Gories, they had as much talent as anybody making anything jazz or avant garde or whatever. That shit isn't nearly as primitive as everybody says.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 12:34 am

that first line is total garbage by the way
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 12:46 am

zzzzzzzzzzzz............
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 12:57 am | Edited by: Theresa K

that first line is total garbage by the way

"there's more good bands in detroit that there are in any other motherfuckin major city..."

that's what you're referring to? you're not really making a fair criticism because it is presented as opinion. and therefore, i think its a fantastic opening and set up/raison d'etre for the film. you're pretty clear on where the film is going.

most films don't give you that much
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:03 am

This is total horseshit.

The only good shit coming out of MI nowadays is whatever Timmy V is doing and the whole X! Recordings scene.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:12 am

we are clearly talking about 2 different things in an apples and oranges way.

you don't like music from detroit. fine. you're talking about music. i'm talking about the FILM and its trailer and whether or not its good, to me, depends on whether or not it gives me a thesis and then proves it.

i think the treailer presents its point of view clearly & succinctly, which is what is good about it. you know what you are in for: a valentine to detroit from the people who created its last wave. period.

i absolutely despise metallica, all they are and what they stand for, but "some kind of monster" was an incredibly well done piece
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:19 am

Theresa,

There's a lot of bad bands in Detroit currently. Trust me.

When was that shit filmed? It amy have been a few years ago during the last Detroit heyday.

X! Recordings has put out some good records so far.

Now back to the party I'm having.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:37 am

When was that shit filmed? It amy have been a few years ago during the last Detroit heyday.

they started the production a few years ago, and the stuff they shot represents the time period very well. james and sarah are from detroit, by the way. they are not outsiders who came in to do this
they are doing it with their own money, hence the long time to bring it forward. i wanted them to have a trailer in don't knock the rock LAST YEAR... but it just didn't happen
when it is finished, people will clearly see at the outset what period the film deals with
the filmmakers will also probably have an addendum at the end that will list what has happened since the last tape rolled
just like any normal documentary

and i for one, dale, am one of Detroit's biggest champions - didn't you know? i don't give a fuck about whether people like the music from Detroit or not, however...

the movie never intended to convince anybody of anything - but rather to show and showcase what the buzz was.

the only influence i tried to have was recommending they NOT talk to my ex boss. cuz he knows nothing.

what gets on my nerves is that people would knock a documentary film for the opinions of the people interviewed within it. a documentary is presentational in trailer form. i think the trailer serves its purpose well - so i will sound like a broken record: it tells you what you can expect from the film. that's what it is supposed to do. i think it succeeds.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:56 am

I'm not knocking the film. I have quite a few actual friends in it. I'm just saying that the city isn't the end all and be all. I know you do too but there's a whole lotta shit be doled out...and the good stuff isn't exactly where it's out for everyone to find out.

Should I make a list of current shitty Detroit bands..They're the ones that are out playing more often. The bigger bands don't play that much and the ones that take their place...well, a lot of them stink. I'm not saying there aren't any good bands in Detroit still (because there is) but there is no city that can actually claim "there's more good bands in (fill in the blank) that there are in any other motherfuckin major city..." at anytime.

I can name more bands out of someplace like Portland, Milwaukee or some place in France that that I can get excited about than I can from Detroit at the moment.

That being said Tim Vulgar is one of the most real rock-n-rollers anywhere in the world.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:59 am

Yeah...I had beers with my dad today. That happens..ohh...once every 5 years (pop don't drink unless I can give him a reason) so my grammer is waaay off.

but still...
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:07 am

well... the thing that annoys me is when people criticize a film for the opinions of those in it, and also, without the understanding that it takes YEARS to put something like that together if you're doing it with your own money

with a topic like music, obviously, people are going to have passionate opinions - and i'm glad they do, but.... i don't know.... i spend my life evaluating films submitted for television, and also working with filmmakers so that they construct narratives that make sense within their particular constructs and i get rather peeved when people just blurt out something sucks simply because they have a different opinion. if everyone was like that... there'd be nothing on television, in the theatres, on the radio or released on any label except vanity ones

and as for this quote: "there's more good bands in (fill in the blank) that there are in any other motherfuckin major city..."

it is one man's opinion, and a fantastic way to open a film or a trailer - because you, the viewer, knows without a doubt, that the thesis will be defended with passion.

what that quote does is show pride - which for a down-trodden place like detroit is pretty fucking fantastic on so many levels. its a brilliant way to introduce detroit... and who better to say it than tom potter? i have more respect for him than any other musician in or from detroit.... he's not in detroit anymore but he was definitely one of the city's finest talents
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:20 am

How about Mick's opinion that they don't really have talent? Is he trying to convince people that they are all just flukes?
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:22 am | Edited by: dale

Potter is actually from Grand Rapids to begin with.

I'm not arguing the film, it's merits or anything. All I did was step into a middle of a discussion...I've been in the trenches down there for a long while now. I'm looking forward to seeing the film...but ya can't deny all facades crumble. Either you can deny or pretend it isn't happening. Nice to see that a guy that is in a band with me currently gets some screentime though...
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:30 am

Nice to see that a guy that is in a band with me currently gets some screentime though...

who's in the film who's in a band with you....

and uh.... isn't potter from charlotte?
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:33 am

How about Mick's opinion that they don't really have talent? Is he trying to convince people that they are all just flukes?

you know... just cuz YOU (and I ) think he has talent doesn't mean he believes he does... or did when he started. besides, that is a REAL TOTAL ARTIST kind of quote- they all say it, musicians, painters, etc - they are antennas or conduits for some divine (or evil) thing that communicates through them
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:48 am

Did the guy in my band make the final cut actually? He was filmed for it. I really don't know what made it too the film. I'm looking forward to it either way...does it matter? People in Detroit know...the rest will figure it out (we only have a myspace page y'know)

Potter..He's from somewhere on the west side of the state I thought...The first time I met him the Dirtys were playing a show at Mac's in East Lansing and he came out. All anyone knew about each other was that both bands were on Crypt but neither had their record out yet. "Miss Luxury" came out first though. Ever heard of a band called Social Scare? They were from out that way too...maybe some West side Goners can elaborate.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:49 am

I really gotta dig through boxes in the basement ans start scanning old zine shit I did.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:50 am

Fuck it...I'm off to the bar. I keep getting invited for birthday drinks an I'm getting noisy on the internet.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:51 am

you know... just cuz YOU (and I ) think he has talent doesn't mean he believes he does... or did when he started.

Eh, I still don't approve of that kind of nonsense.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 3:09 am

Ugg! I am so glad that some people in Europe taught me different ways to come my hair since then.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 3:12 am

but what's with your "brother?"
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 3:13 am

He's not my brother. You are silly.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 6:35 am

im born and bred michigan. im too young to have caught the first wave of whatever was groundbreaking in detroit. there are plenty of nights when i could go see a few "detroit" style bands an hour and a half away, but i dont. i never bought the whole detroit thing. its not anymore important than other things that were happening around the same time. maybe im spoiled now that bands skip detroit to play kalamazoo instead
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 7:12 am

Tim Vulgar should get the key to the city of Detroit. When I think of Detroit, I think of Tim Vulgar... and all of those cool abandoned buildings to squat in...quiet in the squat...
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 7:19 am

i guess its my age, but when i think of detroit, i think of CREEM, even though it was in birmingham. i met the photo editor, charlie auringer at the whisky in 78 - he came to see the boomtown rats at the show we promoted at the coconut grove (in the now-gone ambassador hotel - which is where RFK was killed) and he said to me, "whenever you come to detroit, come visit us!" SO - the first time i went to detroit, i made the pilgrimage to their office.... drove there all the way on woodward, and ever since then, have had my north, south, east, west orientation all screwed up
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 7:29 am

that shit runs at an angle yo! and let's not even get into Outer Drive...
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 10:21 am

bass player with a heavy metal resume needed
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:47 pm

ok, but they ripped off Robert Gordon's title though, right?
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:54 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 4:13 pm

The bums trade hugs for miniature American flags in Detroit.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 5:15 pm

blue hugs are my favorite flavor
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 7:34 pm

I grew up an hour north of Detroit. When I think of Detroit as a child it's the Tigers, Better Made chips, CKLW, the hyrdroplane races at Belle Isle and "One Nation Under A Groove".

As I grown up opinions have swayed. There's still a lot of good music but the scene has always gone in waves. There's still good bands around but it's not like it was in the late 90's/early 00's or so...which is where the movie is based in. I'm looking forward to seeing it but I'm not gonna flip out about it.

Somewhere in my boozed fuel bitching last night I dropped Social Scare's name. I don't why...I dunno if I've ever even heard the band. I was thinking "Just Say No."

http://www.zoomgraphics.com/music/justsayno/index.html
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 11:43 pm

I know Social Scare, I have a 7" of theres. If you want to know something about them I could dig it up and see what there is.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 12:45 am | Edited by: johnny guitar

this movie would've been a lot cooler if it came out 3 years ago when people still cared about the come-ons, cobras, von bondies, blanche, etc. they all blew thier load like 4 or 5 years ago. i don't think there's much of a popular resurgence for much of those bands now that nme has rejected the "detroit scene."
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 5:55 pm

Yep.
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 8:02 pm

if those kids james & sarah (who financed the movie themselves) had a financial backer, the movie could have come out in time to take advantage of detroit's moment as a media darling
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 10:31 pm

I can't wait for 2012's expose' on the Chicago Blackout.
Posted: Jul 8, 2006 10:29 pm

Potter IS from Charlotte, not GR
Posted: Jul 8, 2006 10:30 pm

and I'm sure that Potter was fucking around when he made the comment about having "more good bands". further more, he hauls ass, so he can say whatever the fuck he wants to say.
Posted: Jul 8, 2006 10:37 pm

further more, he hauls ass, so he can say whatever the fuck he wants to say.

amen!
Posted: Jul 9, 2006 6:11 am

Potter IS from Charlotte, not GR
So he's not frome Detroit?

THeresaK hyping Detroit is just as valid as Dale hyping Wisconsin bands. The difference is that one of them actually was there for one of the scenes before it was too late and genuinely love the other. Guess which is which. One doesnt name drop as much though.
Posted: Jul 9, 2006 9:18 am | Edited by: Theresa K

i just got through driving on la's vast and obnoxious freeways, so your post gets to feel my post-driving tension-filled reply.... this is what you get when you challenge me to defend myself..

FYI
i've been going to detroit on a regular basis since 1993.
that's even before jim diamond moved back to michigan and set up shop!

"regular basis" meaning like every 6 weeks - staying for a week-10 days each time - yes CONTINUOUSLY for these past 13 years (some of that time was spent filming the house music scene for the bbc - but i'm sure no one here cares about that)

in 1993, i was one of the producers for a series called "rock n roll cities," and given the choice between detroit and austin, i chose detroit. covered as many bases across i-96 from lansing to detroit and got all your faves in plus people you really hate because it was for mainstream tv. perhaps some of you older couch potatoes saw it.

but that's beside the point.

"hyping detroit" and discussing what makes a good narrative structure in a documentary film are two different things.

my beef with the commentary throughout this thread was that some people criticize the film for the opinions of the people interviewed and NOT whether the film supports the story it has chosen to tell. the film PRESENTS the scene. the film asks bands to talk about themselves and their peers. it provides a picture of a particular moment in time, and i think it does a good job, especially considering the limitations the filmmakers had. PLUS - its a fucking TRAILER... not the whole film. so hold your damn horses!

the nature of making any film that is an exploration of a real-time-evolving phenomenon over time means its going to have to see the light of day AFTER its subject has had the necessary rise and fall arc --- without it, there is no story. and it applies to ANY scene - not only detroit's.... could have easily applied if some people made a film about seattle - and i'm sure there were plenty we don't even know about - youtube wasn't around during the 80s/90s

i do like quite a lot of bands out of detroit. i do like quite a lot of bands from various places around the world - don't you? i mean really... what's your beef?

it is not lost on me that i'm really lucky to have had jobs that allowed me to travel around the world, seeing all kinds of local scenes from music, to art, to cuisines and etc and what not. i've been a professional in the business that produces pop culture products that you buy or pay for, and i've been doing it since the 70s.

i talk about and refer to people i know. you do too.

the best thing about detroit for the past two years for me, however, is not any band - but barberella. best haircut i've had anywhere in the world.
Posted: Jul 10, 2006 4:17 am

Theresa K RULES!
Posted: Jul 10, 2006 4:23 am

Well atleast her stories are first hand unlike your cut and paste antics
Posted: Jul 10, 2006 4:33 am

Amen Theresa.
Posted: Jul 10, 2006 5:35 am

Sandy Kramer RULES!
Posted: Jul 10, 2006 3:18 pm

just as valid as Dale hyping Wisconsin bands

I haven't "hyped" a Wisconsin band in ages...I could care less about any "Scene" at this point. I just want to hear good bands.

I've been pretty rare in the Detroit "scene" for a couple of years now...I was just an observer for the most part anyway...

Like any movie representing something people are familiar with there's gonna be speculation and contention.

Sandy Kramer is a right on person in my book too...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®